Black leaders demand justice

SAVANNAH, Ga. - The Georgia Association of Black Elected Officials is holding its annual convention in Savannah this weekend, with leaders planning to focus on the case of Genarlow Wilson, a young black man imprisoned for engaging in consensual sex as a teen.

The need for justice in that case and others is the message hundreds of black leaders from across the state will spread during their visit to Savannah.

"Everyone is asking: 'What's going on in Georgia?' We thought we were beyond that," said Democratic state Rep. Tyrone Brooks, the president of the association.

Mr. Brooks began the four-day convention Thursday afternoon at the Ralph Mark Gilbert Civil Rights Museum, surrounded by a dozen fellow black leaders.

Mr. Wilson was convicted of aggravated child molestation for having consensual oral sex with a 15-year-old when he was 17. He has served two years of a 10-year sentence and will be required to register as a sex offender.

A judge earlier this month ruled that it was "cruel and inhumane treatment" to continue to keep Mr. Wilson in prison. However, Attorney General Thurbert E. Baker is appealing to keep Mr. Wilson behind bars.

That's a direct violation of Mr. Wilson's civil rights, Mr. Brooks said.

"The message to Georgia, the nation and the world is: We've come a distance, changed the law and made progress, but we still have a long way to go," Mr. Brooks said.

tdc
tdc 06/23/07 - 09:23 pm
owensjef: why would you call

owensjef: why would you call me an internet coward or other white americans for that fact? i am your biggest fear. A white man whom is not sympathetic and is proud. I will not give in to your rhetoric, b/c you have no legitimate argument. This terrifies you, but not as much as white unity. What is really scary to people like you, is the ceasement of gov't handouts and affirmative action. The time when blacks will only be hired on merits and not the color of their skin, when the liberal media crumbles and your garbage is not forced upon America.....terrifing to you, isn't it? Keep breathing....the days are upon us. You're exposed.

owensjef
owensjef 06/23/07 - 09:26 pm
Worried I think you are good

Worried I think you are good people, we will very seldom agree but I think you are good folk. We may still choke each other by the neck but no relationship is perfect. lol

owensjef
owensjef 06/23/07 - 09:30 pm
I have never had a handout in

I have never had a handout in my life , woaf why would he assume that. I have never benefited from AF, why would he assume that. I wish more people were like you tdc, I dont fear ou this is not 1960 I respect people who put their cards out there, I just don't thin you talk like this in mix company, thats why I called you an internet coward.

owensjef
owensjef 06/23/07 - 09:37 pm
By the way tdc I bet you are

By the way tdc I bet you are real tough when you have 10 or so around you, but when you are by yoursel you are quit as a mouth, I am at the top of the food chain BOY. HEHEHEHEHE

owensjef
owensjef 06/23/07 - 09:41 pm
Sex is a natural desire, some

Sex is a natural desire, some kids are confident enough to act on this. This never happened to me at that age , but I thought about it and loved a video with action. So Lets not pretend when we was that age that we did not wish that some little girl our age did not do this to us.

tdc
tdc 06/23/07 - 09:44 pm
owensjef: why should i be

owensjef: why should i be ashamed to speak this way in front of anyone? Double standards, where white pride is considered racism, but black pride is alright. Nothing wrong with being black and proud, and at the same time nothing wrong with being white and proud. Proud of heritage, ingenuity, creation of the greatest country on earth, language, wealth, jobs, intelligence, family, value, traditions, music, ancestory, etc.

DrDelight
DrDelight 06/23/07 - 09:47 pm
the girl is white and the

the girl is white and the boy is black ,it,s a black/white issue.she wanted it and she got but he got the staff.

tdc
tdc 06/23/07 - 09:47 pm
owensjef: you are only eating

owensjef: you are only eating b/c food stamps. Gov't assistance: eat w/o work....yeah you're right up there. if your welfare check was hidden under your work boots......you would starve to death.

bone
bone 06/23/07 - 09:48 pm
good grief - i almost feel

good grief - i almost feel the need to step to owensjef's aid because of the verbal thrashing he is receiving. almost

tdc
tdc 06/23/07 - 09:51 pm
Chelsea Clinton was visiting

Chelsea Clinton was visiting some troops over seas and asked a soilder if he feared for his life. He says no, i am an american soilder and would proudly die for my country. Chelsea, looking for a certain answer, persists further....do you fear for the other soilder's lives.. the soilder replys "no" they are just as i am. Frustrated, Chelsea says, what do you fear?? To which the soilder replies...........as an american there is only 3 things we should fear.......Osama, Obama, and yo mama!!!!

WorriedAboutOurFuture
WorriedAboutOurFuture 06/23/07 - 09:53 pm
TDC is a little scary even to

TDC is a little scary even to me. Being proud of being white? Please. I might as well be proud of having blue eyes and a dimple. It makes about as much sense. And white unity? Give me a break. Whites can't get it together enough to win an election when they are the overwhelming majority, so don't make me laugh. All that sounds like is the KKK and assorted skinhead, neo-nazi groups. Them we definitely do not need. Hiring and promotion by merit is a good idea, but I can't help but wonder what "days" you seem to think are upon us.

owensjef
owensjef 06/23/07 - 09:53 pm
Yea bone you are in full

Yea bone you are in full cheerleader mode. Like I said tdc is a guy who would never talk like this at work, but I have defended this naton so he can act a fool. So go ahead tdc show your A

tdc
tdc 06/23/07 - 09:56 pm
bone: owensjef is out of his

bone: owensjef is out of his league. if you know him or you are sympathetic to him and people that think in his manner, you may want to help him b/c i am just beginning! Otherwise please enjoy the spreading of the truth. I just call it like it is....no distortion, just the way it is. It is what other's think but have been brain washed into thinking that they cannot call it like it really is. No longer!

tdc
tdc 06/23/07 - 10:01 pm
worried---this is exactly how

worried---this is exactly how you have been taught to think....just b/c of the phrase "white pride" you run to the assumption of radical groups like KKK, Neo Nazi's, etc. I have Absolutely no affiliation with any hate group. Truth is truth. You are correct about the problems of whites being united!! Major problem, but you can only blame political correctness. It makes any white with pride out to be a racist. Wake up.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 06/23/07 - 10:02 pm
owensjef, in reference to

owensjef, in reference to your 9:41p comment, responsibility is every bit as important as confidence.

WorriedAboutOurFuture
WorriedAboutOurFuture 06/23/07 - 10:03 pm
Why don't you brag a little,

Why don't you brag a little, TDC. Come on; stop being so timid and shy. We're all dying to read your next eloquent comment.

owensjef
owensjef 06/23/07 - 10:04 pm
Yea Yea , show your

Yea Yea , show your ignorance, I bet I could kick you ohps

tdc
tdc 06/23/07 - 10:04 pm
worried: the "days" are the

worried: the "days" are the time when good americans, fed up with reverse discrimination, (betcha haven't heard about that one) come to an agreement about the negative effects it is taking on our society, and decide to start making changes.

tdc
tdc 06/23/07 - 10:07 pm
owensjef: you make my point

owensjef: you make my point stronger with your every post. You began to lose mental compacity for intelligent thoughts and try to resort to violence in hopes of hiding your ignorance....not happening.

owensjef
owensjef 06/23/07 - 10:08 pm
We are all human Pat , have

We are all human Pat , have youever made a mistake.

tdc
tdc 06/23/07 - 10:11 pm
to all: i have enjoyed my

to all: i have enjoyed my time with each and everyone of you tonight, but now i must relax and take in some TV....i believe BET would be a good choice tonight. Seriously, i do enjoy it, sometimes.
Owensjef: i look forward to our next discussion.
Also, keep in mind my first post tonight, i call it like it is...not one sided.
Regards

owensjef
owensjef 06/23/07 - 10:13 pm
reverse discrimination, I

reverse discrimination, I guess that means someone is going to try and screw us like we screwed them.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 06/23/07 - 10:13 pm
white guilt is the state

white guilt is the state where Americans allow everyone take advantage of them because they feel guilty belonging to a society that is economically sucessful and able to absorb all different cultures. Diversity should be considered the anti-white guilt, because it does away with a society that is able to absorb cultures and it is currently trying to kill economic success. My question is , why does the left wish to promote both white guilt and diversity?

WorriedAboutOurFuture
WorriedAboutOurFuture 06/23/07 - 10:16 pm
Interesting question.

Interesting question.

owensjef
owensjef 06/23/07 - 10:21 pm
Why would there be white

Why would there be white guilt, If you have not done nothing wrong why would you be guilty. I have no guilt because my parent raised me to be fair and proud, and my heart is good and full of good will toward all.

WorriedAboutOurFuture
WorriedAboutOurFuture 06/23/07 - 10:21 pm
I think I've done enough here

I think I've done enough here today. 'Night all.

bone
bone 06/23/07 - 10:25 pm
i'm almost amazed that blacks

i'm almost amazed that blacks accept diversity: could you imagine someone telling you, "i know i have built a wonderful culture and you have not; here, let me give you a handout so you won't feel so bad about yourself." i don't remember whites being given a handout. but i wasn't around back then and i don't know for sure. sure looks like the asians won't be needing any handouts. why is it that asians (who were WAY more oppressed than blacks in the u.s.) seem to do fine on their own? hmmm...

tdc
tdc 06/23/07 - 10:58 pm
bone: excellent point.

bone: excellent point. cannot be refuted.
In america, anyone can succeed if they chose to, but there is an epidemic of people wanting others to take care of them. Maybe "laziness" is an acceptable word. WE owe nothing to anyone, but ourselves, for the ingenuity of the creation of the greatest country on earth.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 06/23/07 - 11:16 pm
owenjef, re: your post of

owenjef, re: your post of 10:21p about guilt. Some people succeed and some people fail and some just float on the surface. To gain favor with the non-successful, people say "vote for me and I'll see tax money funded to you to aid you" and to gain aid from the successful the same people say "see the poor, don't you feel bad that you have so much and they don't ?". After more then forty years of preaching and teaching this idea, more then a generation has taken this idea to heart and now they preach and teach this idea. THAT'S white guilt, that's the dirty trick so many fall for. If others don't succeed, you shouldn't either, but if you do, you should give some of your success to the ones that don't gain it through their own effort.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 06/23/07 - 11:55 pm
owensjef, would you be

owensjef, would you be surprised to learn the world doesn't revolve around you? Do you think others may have ideas different from you? Think diversity in its true meaning.