Black leaders demand justice

SAVANNAH, Ga. - The Georgia Association of Black Elected Officials is holding its annual convention in Savannah this weekend, with leaders planning to focus on the case of Genarlow Wilson, a young black man imprisoned for engaging in consensual sex as a teen.

The need for justice in that case and others is the message hundreds of black leaders from across the state will spread during their visit to Savannah.

"Everyone is asking: 'What's going on in Georgia?' We thought we were beyond that," said Democratic state Rep. Tyrone Brooks, the president of the association.

Mr. Brooks began the four-day convention Thursday afternoon at the Ralph Mark Gilbert Civil Rights Museum, surrounded by a dozen fellow black leaders.

Mr. Wilson was convicted of aggravated child molestation for having consensual oral sex with a 15-year-old when he was 17. He has served two years of a 10-year sentence and will be required to register as a sex offender.

A judge earlier this month ruled that it was "cruel and inhumane treatment" to continue to keep Mr. Wilson in prison. However, Attorney General Thurbert E. Baker is appealing to keep Mr. Wilson behind bars.

That's a direct violation of Mr. Wilson's civil rights, Mr. Brooks said.

"The message to Georgia, the nation and the world is: We've come a distance, changed the law and made progress, but we still have a long way to go," Mr. Brooks said.

christian134
christian134 06/23/07 - 06:41 am
Mr. Brooks give it a rest.

Mr. Brooks give it a rest. The law has nothing to do with black. It has everything to do with right and wrong. Child molestation in this country is at an all time high with ever increasing protions daily. Actually what you and others in your Black group need to do is stop with the racist talk and begin to find ways to house these perverts on some lonely island where they can do no more harm to our young ones.

peonynut
peonynut 06/23/07 - 07:01 am
Teens have sex. There is

Really Bugged
Really Bugged 06/23/07 - 07:55 am
you are so right peonynut.

you are so right peonynut. To think that we should not force morals, ethics, chastity, purity. All that stuff is for Christians with morals, ethics, chastity, purity. That stuff is not for normal teens having sex, drugs, failing school, getting into fights. Because our teens are responsible young adults. They don't need morals. Parents should leave these young adult to be trained by society, leave the parenting to the people.

aaa
aaa 06/23/07 - 07:56 am
What he did was obviously

What he did was obviously wrong. But he's been punished enough. The sentence did not fit the crime. It has absolutely nothing to do with race.

Really Bugged
Really Bugged 06/23/07 - 07:59 am
fyi 10. years for oral sex,

fyi 10. years for oral sex, that is definatly not worth it. other criminals are getting a lot less for a lot worse.

Really Bugged
Really Bugged 06/23/07 - 08:01 am
How many years did the 15

How many years did the 15 year old serve?

bone
bone 06/23/07 - 08:22 am
he definitely needs to be out

he definitely needs to be out of jail; but i disagree completely with the simplistic way you categorize this man's incident. perhaps teens have sex, but this young man engaged in sex at a drunken party while another near-rape (several men engaging in sex with one girl) occurred nearby.

sliique
sliique 06/23/07 - 08:37 am
Christian134, you got some

Christian134, you got some absolutely stunning good smoke thereabouts. Your philosophy is pathetic, at best.

While I agree that race isn't the issue in Genarlow Wilson's case, it is painfully obvious that the Georgia Judge's and prosecutors who persist in such a miscarriage of justice absolutely want to perpetuate it.

Like another Poster said, how much time did the girtl get?

Peonynut said it well.

WorriedAboutOurFuture
WorriedAboutOurFuture 06/23/07 - 08:40 am
While I agree that the law

While I agree that the law and this penalty seem excessive, I disagree that teenage sex can’t be curbed if parents decide to make it happen. It all depends on how you raise your child whether he/she willingly engages in sex before marriage. As for rape, well, life without parole. The girl wasn't old enough to make that decision for herself, legally or otherwise. Ironically, this benighted boy wasn't old enough either, despite what the law allows.

lilmace
lilmace 06/23/07 - 08:54 am
While the majoriey of parents

While the majoriey of parents instill values in our children's lives and hope for the best, let's face facts. Unless you keep you child locked up until you see fit to let that child socialize with their peers, a parent does not know what their children do when not at home and away from the watchful eyes of their parents. Where were the parents of the 15 yo and we do not know where she told her parents she would be. He has served enough time and the state should realize this and send the boy home. I saw aggravated sex offenders at Georgis State Prison who had molested young children with less time to serve than he. Let the punishment fit the crime if a crime was committed.

crystalball
crystalball 06/23/07 - 09:04 am
I agree this is about right

I agree this is about right and wrong race is not the issue. Teens are having sex and until both parties are held accountable this is going to continue to happen. Parents must educate their children. Wilson has served more time than he should have under the circumstances. He should have served no time, in my opinion unless the 15 year old did too.

Rose
Rose 06/23/07 - 09:26 am
crystal, I agree with you.He

crystal, I agree with you.He has served more than enough. The girl was suppose to be passed out, but she performed the act on him.

robaroo
robaroo 06/23/07 - 09:45 am
The sentence was a horrible

The sentence was a horrible injustice. If we threw every teenager who had sex in jail for ten years, then made them register as a sex-offender for the rest of their lives, we'd have entire sections of town devoted to jails. And when they got out, they couldn't live in most parts of Augusta because of the restrictions. Let him go now.

WorriedAboutOurFuture
WorriedAboutOurFuture 06/23/07 - 09:46 am
The thing I really want

LaTashaF
LaTashaF 06/23/07 - 10:23 am
He was wrong for what he did

He was wrong for what he did and so was the girl. I think the worst part of his sentence is having him register as a sexual offender. What will they register her as? I remember my first boyfriend was 17 and I was 15. I was old enough to know what I was doing. I didn't have sex until much later however if I had wanted to I could have no matter how I was raised. She is just as much at fault as he is and there is no way that I feel sorry for her. Teenage sex has gotten out of control, I agree. There should be a punishment, however the punishment that they gave that boy will stick with him when he gets married and has children one day. It just doesn't fit the crime.

WorriedAboutOurFuture
WorriedAboutOurFuture 06/23/07 - 10:46 am
Unfortunately, legal

Unfortunately, legal accountability is not on a par with moral accountability. Parents and even teens can't anticipate every situation where sex might occur. Nevertheless, parents can and should equip their kids, boys and girls, to recognize when situations start turning to the dark side and how to extract themselves. If you decide ahead of time what you will and won't do or allow, what your limit is, you have a better chance of getting out of a bad spot before it's gone past the point of no return. Knowing your kids' friends and at least having a phone conversation with their parent(s) also is a very good safeguard. My daughter will never go out with a boy who hasn't looked me square in the eye and promised to protect her while she is his responsibility. That apparently has gone a very long way in curbing some testosterone-driven behavior, according to her.

christian134
christian134 06/23/07 - 11:31 am
Sliique you have a remarkable

Sliique you have a remarkable way of communicating. Sex is wrong if it is against anothers will. I care little if you or whomever think otherwise. If this happened to you are someone close to you then maybe you would think before you speak. The girl may have been forced or just maybe she has been so conditioned to believe it is the only way to get along with others. You have no idea unless you are living in that persons shoes. Also if one is young enough when the abuse starts then they become so coditioned to their way of life that it almost seems normal but somewhere along the way shame and guilt set in and from there who knows maybe they run into someone who really doesn't give a flying flip. They may or may not make it but who cares someone like you perhaps will be around to tell them who cares you shouldn't have been in that paticular place at that paticular time. Pathetic enough for you. As far as I am concerned anyone who commits these crimes, black, white, pink or purple, need to be put on an island and live out their days doing whatever they do until they die.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 06/23/07 - 11:55 am
If you don't agree with the

If you don't agree with the law, get it changed. If you believe 15 is old enough, pass the law. You can't make a law that says that under 16 is against the law, then decide after the law is broken, that it doesn't apply in this case. That's where the real problems begin...that's when people don't get treated equally. Bottom line is, that the man (boy) broke the law as it was written. I do agree that his sentence was too harsh, but the bottom line is that he did break the law. It was not legally consensual sex, because a 15 year old cannot legally give consent.

JamesJMcGee
JamesJMcGee 06/23/07 - 11:59 am
"Teens have sex. There is

"Teens have sex. There is nothing you can do to stop it. This sentence is a crime and tagging him with sex offender is just plain ridiculous."
Posted by peonynut on Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:01 AM
You are right on! And Black or White Dont matter Kids will be Kids no matter what color they are. Who here DID NOT have sex as a teen???? and If her (or your if your female) Parents found out would "I wanted to" be said???

(The thing I really want changed for this kid is his status as a sex offender. That is what will really haunt the rest of his life. He absolutely should not have to deal with that, and those who know and love him should fight to have that rescinded, even if they have to consort with the ACLU to get it removed.
Posted by WorriedAboutOurFuture on Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:46 AM )

I agree here too, but the ACLU picks some stupid fights that PI$$ me off, Its a left wing extremist group in my opinion and I have no use for them after the GOD and Christmas Crap they do.

WorriedAboutOurFuture
WorriedAboutOurFuture 06/23/07 - 12:13 pm
I didn't have sex as a

I didn't have sex as a teenager, and only a few of my friends did either. This was in the 60s and 70s, so well into the era of "free love". There still are plenty of kids who don't have sex, even with the unbelievable amount of pressure on them to do it. Some surveys I've read puts that number at greater than half of all teens who actually haven't ever and even more who currently don't have sex. I don't have any idea what population they drew their respondents from, but one would assume is was fairly representative of American teenagers.

september 5th
september 5th 06/23/07 - 12:25 pm
the black association of

the black association of elected leaders need to tell their pastors to start preaching what GOD's word -the Bible- says about sex outside marriage. if the leaders in the black community only want to demand justice and not demand morals then this young man will get out of jail..do something else illegal and go back to jail..black leaders take a stand and try to help the black male before he gets into trouble and you all will not have to demand justice!

GET REAL1
GET REAL1 06/23/07 - 01:58 pm
june 23rd, black leaders

june 23rd, black leaders spend countless hours preaching about what the bible says in regards to premarital sex, theft, murder, etc. i know because i attend a historically african american church!! people know right from wrong, but don't always do what is right. if u havent read a bible lately, this happened with several people in the bible. the point of the matter is that the punishment should fit the crime. when i envision a child molester, it is not a person who had sex with a peer. the sex was consensual, not rape. this young man is not a hardened crimal.

jmoval0315
jmoval0315 06/23/07 - 02:20 pm
Unreal , some of you are

Unreal , some of you are unreal. I am sorry but, some of these post are racist. If you can't tell that then we really have a problem in this country. I guess white teenagers don't have sex, and don't party. Free this young man please, he had a college Scholarship and not they wan't him to regester asa sex offender so he has no hope for a future. Thubert Baker you are a disgrace to man kind, I don't know what you reasons for keeping this going, but what goes around comes around.

jmoval0315
jmoval0315 06/23/07 - 02:23 pm
christian134 called this

christian134 called this young man a child molestor, and has the nerve to a screen name like that. Where tdo you worship at?

_kpc_
_kpc_ 06/23/07 - 03:29 pm
jmoval, the legal definition

jmoval, the legal definition of a child molestor is someone who has sex with someone under the legal age of consent. Is his bunishment harsh....yes...Is he a childe molestor, by definition....yes as well. Where was the racist post on this page?

PERFECT
PERFECT 06/23/07 - 03:37 pm
what color was the victim

what color was the victim

_kpc_
_kpc_ 06/23/07 - 03:38 pm
What difference does it make?

What difference does it make? The law that was broken is because of the age, not the race. Don't make a problem where there isn't one.

owensjef
owensjef 06/23/07 - 04:21 pm
I guess at one time we all

I guess at one time we all were child molestors. When I was 14 I did not have sex but I kissed a girl and played touchey feely, KPC come better than that.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 06/23/07 - 04:24 pm
What part do you not get?

What part do you not get? The LAW defines child molestation as having sex with someone under 16 in the state of GA. That part can't be refuted. It can be changed, but not refuted. You have a choice between living with the rule of Law, or the rule of chaos. You decide.

owensjef
owensjef 06/23/07 - 04:30 pm
Common sense, c o m mon S e n

Common sense, c o m mon S e n s e , K P C