Father at campsite hurls log, kills bear

HELEN, Ga. - A camping trip to Low Gap Camp Grounds turned into a harrowing experience for Chris Everhart and his three sons when they tangled with a 300-pound black bear.

But the encounter last weekend proved fatal for the bear.

The bear had taken the Everharts' cooler and was heading back to the woods when 6-year-old Logan hurled a shovel at it.

Fearing what might happen next, the Norcross father and ex-Marine grabbed the closest thing he could find - a log.

"(I) threw it at it, and it happened to hit the bear in the head," Mr. Everhart said. "I thought it just knocked it out, but it actually ended up killing the bear."

The man was given a ticket for not securing his campsite, said Ken Riddleberger, a region supervisor for game management with the Georgia Department of Natural Resources.

Mr. Riddleberger said some U.S. Forest Service agents were at the camp issuing a citation in an unrelated case. They got to the scene in a few minutes and verified what happened, he said.

Mr. Riddleberger said fines are usually set by counties, but Mr. Everhart's will be set by the federal government because the incident happened on federal property.

aintryt
aintryt 06/22/07 - 08:25 am
Gee. Leave food laying

Gee. Leave food laying around in my yard and I'm likely to go for it too. Does that mean I'll get whacked as well? People suck.

BarstoolDreamer
BarstoolDreamer 06/22/07 - 08:41 am
I guess that the 11 year old

I guess that the 11 year old boy that was dragged out his tent and killed last week by a bear was just food in the yard? Bears suck.

Living the Country Life
Living the Country Life 06/22/07 - 09:03 am
I don't think the father

I don't think the father should be fined! It's not like he meant to kill the bear, just scare it off...

aintryt
aintryt 06/22/07 - 09:12 am
If you hang around downtown

If you hang around downtown at night your chances at being mugged increase. If you hang around in bear territory (His home - not ours) Your chances of getting mauled are increased. I'm sorry for the loss - but yes...to that bear he was food. People are taking over this planet at an alarming rate. When we have destroyed everything else we'll turn on each other. Yes - people suck.

way
way 06/22/07 - 09:12 am
what the heck..........this

what the heck..........this dad was protecting his 3 sons, no one knows what the bear could've/would've done if given the chance to come back........it could've been one of the children instead of the cooler.........i don't think that man should be ticketed

itsjustbob2000
itsjustbob2000 06/22/07 - 09:16 am
Is the writer implying that

Is the writer implying that if he had not been an ex-Marine he would not been able to kill the bear? Just wondering why that tid-bid was added to the story.

BarstoolDreamer
BarstoolDreamer 06/22/07 - 09:20 am
every species on this planet

every species on this planet modifies the envronment for IT's survival... sorry bear, a log to the head ensures my survival

aintryt
aintryt 06/22/07 - 10:04 am
The bear was leaving - going

The bear was leaving - going BACK to the woods. The 6 year old threw a shovel at it. The dad was scared the bear was going to turn so he whacked it. I understand his position, but the facts are they were in bear territory and the CHILD thought he was badder than the bear. Throw a shovel at me at any age and I'll turn on you too. Sounds from the article that the family didn't have much respect for the area they were in.

BarstoolDreamer
BarstoolDreamer 06/22/07 - 10:19 am
let the bear maul the 6 year

let the bear maul the 6 year old....that will teach him a lesson

zzzman
zzzman 06/22/07 - 12:09 pm
Suprised that he wasn't

Suprised that he wasn't charged with killing the bear.

liveandlet...
liveandlet... 06/22/07 - 01:59 pm
This is a sad story on so

This is a sad story on so many levels. We are running the wildlife out of their homes and moving in on their territory more and more every day. And then we want to get violent when we happen to encounter an animal on his/her own turf! That child deserves a spanking and a lesson in the treatment of animals, and I hope that "ex-marine's" fine is a big one. People suck.

BarstoolDreamer
BarstoolDreamer 06/22/07 - 02:14 pm
I bet the bear moved in on

I bet the bear moved in on some poor squirl or foxes territory....how dare he!

aintryt
aintryt 06/22/07 - 02:18 pm
Just curious dave....do you

Just curious dave....do you approve of those hunting farms - you know, the ones where the big game is backed into a fenced corner and killed? When all the animals left are starving and clinging to one single tree what are we to do then? Tell them they just weren't tough enough?

BarstoolDreamer
BarstoolDreamer 06/22/07 - 02:41 pm
I do not approve of the

I do not approve of the hunting farms (although I do not see what that has to do with this discussion) You do realize there are more trees now than ther were 600 years ago right? and that the earth has been constanty changing for millions of years?

aintryt
aintryt 06/22/07 - 03:04 pm
I do realize the earth has

I do realize the earth has more trees (I watched the same program) I was trying to make the point that if people keep it up, the animals will be "backed into a corner" this corner just happened to be a tree. I was asking your view on the farms because it just seemed that you weren't concerned about animals. Food is in short supply because of the drought and those campers did not safegard their area and enticed the bear. It appears you can't seem to grasp that the bear was retreating to the woods with his goodies and had that kid not antagonized that bear he would still be alive.

WorriedAboutOurFuture
WorriedAboutOurFuture 06/22/07 - 03:08 pm
So, because people suck, we

So, because people suck, we shouldn't be allowed out of our safe, comfortable compounds/communities/cages because we might be invading the turf or home base of a bear? Do you guys have any idea at all about how much virgin timberland there actually is in this country, even just in Georgia? I'm here to tell you that we have a long ways to go before bears don't have plenty of choices for living and hunting, even at the current level of development. The wetlands are a much bigger cause for concern these days. Any time a human wins over a bear in an unintentional encounter, that's a good thing.

WorriedAboutOurFuture
WorriedAboutOurFuture 06/22/07 - 03:13 pm
The kid did something stupid

The kid did something stupid after the dad or one of theboys stupidly negected to avoid "enticing" the bear. Still, when it's a bear, would you just stand around with your kids nearby? Lots of room for regrets and reasonable fines, but it's a bear, not a baby, for pete's sake.

intheknow
intheknow 06/22/07 - 03:20 pm
they gave him a ticket. give

they gave him a ticket. give me the address, i will pay it.

BarstoolDreamer
BarstoolDreamer 06/22/07 - 03:33 pm
I am more concerned about 6

I am more concerned about 6 year olds than animals, yes. The place where you are sitting and typing used to be home to some other wild creature before you, and that wild creature took it from another creature before him...log throwing marine will be replaced eventually

isitme
isitme 06/22/07 - 03:36 pm
The bear just wanted the

The bear just wanted the pic-a-nic basket! How was he to know that the kid was going to throw a shovel. I feel sorry for Yogi, but how many times did the park ranger tell him not to steal the pic-a-nic basket??? I'm just glad the dad had better aim than the kid or they all may have been seriously injured.

georgiasouthern
georgiasouthern 06/22/07 - 05:01 pm
Bears are so precious.

Bears are so precious.

aintryt
aintryt 06/22/07 - 07:03 pm
I give up. By all means -

I give up. By all means - please go into bear country with your small precious children and disregard the laws of nature. Heck - for the fun of it wear sausage links for a necklace. Obviously America will rally around you for your ignorance and lack of respect for nature.

bone
bone 06/22/07 - 07:09 pm
i'm still in shock at these

i'm still in shock at these posts: a 6 year old threw a shovel. we have NO OTHER INFORMATION to judge the actions of a father other than his reaction - he was afraid the bear was going to turn on his idiot son. the father killed the bear; the idiot son was saved. i'm sorry - the case seems pretty closed on all this. how have we brought in the "earth first" crowd weeping for the destruction of our planet? save your greenpeace acceptance speech for another post; this one should only be about the RIDICULOUS fine levied on the father. aintryt, i'm just rallying around a father protecting his kid - intheknow, i'll split costs with you.

WorriedAboutOurFuture
WorriedAboutOurFuture 06/22/07 - 08:56 pm
It wasn't "bear country",

It wasn't "bear country", AINTRYT, it was a campground. People take their kids camping. Sometimes you have to fight bears. Winning is good.

mable8
mable8 06/23/07 - 04:23 am
Excuse me, folks, but we are

Excuse me, folks, but we are talking about a 6 yr old, not an adult. Children do the things children do; they are not miniature adults who can make appropriate decisions, earn a living, procreate a family, etc. It is fortunate that the child and his family were not harmed; the father did what he thought necessary to protect his children. Let it alone, for pete's sake; be thankful YOU weren't there and that it was YOUR child. Stop and really think about how you would react in a similar situation. And don't tell me you wouldn't be afraid for your children, because you would be dishonest!

The Godfather
The Godfather 06/23/07 - 08:41 am
Bone- c'mon man-the kid is

Bone- c'mon man-the kid is only SIX(6) years old. Maybe not the smartest move but pretty noble from a little fella who might have felt threatened.

georgiasouthern
georgiasouthern 06/23/07 - 09:19 am
Poor poor bear. A precious

Poor poor bear. A precious life cut short all because it was hungry. If people were more educated about nature then bear attacks would be few to none. We should have a memorial service for the bear and give it the proper respect and burial it deserves.

WorriedAboutOurFuture
WorriedAboutOurFuture 06/23/07 - 10:17 am
GASOUTHERN, please tell me

GASOUTHERN, please tell me you were being facetious!

WW1949
WW1949 06/23/07 - 10:47 am
Im sure he is just being

Im sure he is just being facetious to get people going. Baravo for the father in protecting his son. I am sure the bear would have protected his or her cubs if the tables were turned. Sure, the kid should have given the bear a wide retreat but how can a 6 year old know that.

bone
bone 06/23/07 - 02:23 pm
let's see: 300 hundred pound

let's see: 300 hundred pound animal - moving away from me - i throw something at it to get its attention - i am an idiot. doesn't matter what age you are: an idiot is an idiot. this kid could be a future darwin award winner; next time, he'll probably begin his (final) idiot action with the immortal phrase, "hey, watch this!"