Suspect is found incompetent

AIKEN - One of five men accused of chasing down and killing a newspaper carrier two years ago after mistaking her for a rival drug dealer has been found incapable of standing trial.

Tremaine Tyler, who was charged with assault with intent to kill in connection with the slaying of Aiken Standard carrier Debra Dorch, will instead be committed to a mental health facility, said Bill Weeks, a deputy solicitor for Aiken County.

Mr. Tyler, 26, was found to have an IQ in the 50s and is mentally retarded, Mr. Weeks said.

"There really wasn't any way we could counter it," he explained.

Mr. Tyler was found not competent to stand trial in a hearing in Aiken County Court on June 12. The determination was made by doctors from the Department of Disability and Special Needs after a court-ordered mental evaluation.

As part of the evaluation, it was found that because of Mr. Tyler's mental deficiencies he could not assist with his defense and likely did not understand the charges against him, Mr. Weeks said. Prosecutors now will file a petition with probate court asking for Mr. Tyler's commitment.

Mr. Weeks said he did not know how long Mr. Tyler, who is in custody at the Aiken County Detention Center, might be institutionalized.

The shooting happened early Aug. 27, 2005, as Ms. Dorch and another Standard employee, Joe Brewer, were delivering papers near Union Academy and Windsor roads near Salley. Authorities say they were shot at when they backed up to deliver a newspaper they had missed, and were then chased down and fired upon until their truck crashed more than two miles away.

Ms. Dorch died of a gunshot wound to the heart. Mr. Brewer's injuries were not life-threatening.

Four other men were arrested after Ms. Dorch's death, three of them charged with murder: Mr. Tyler's brother Cornell; Edward Walker; and Willie Ware.

John Miles was accused of helping the Tyler brothers hide after the shooting. They surrendered to authorities more than two weeks after the shooting.

Tremaine Tyler is accused of being the first to shoot at the two carriers, but was not among those who chased them down the road. Cornell Tyler is facing a second trial. His first trial late last year ended in a mistrial after jurors deadlocked on a verdict.

Reach Sandi Martin at (803) 648-1395, ext. 111, or sandi.martin@augustachronicle.com.

pantherluvcik
pantherluvcik 06/22/07 - 06:11 am
Mentally retarded, but he had

Mentally retarded, but he had no problem learning how to use a gun. What a bunch of bs, he's no more retarded than I am. Anyone can intentionally make a low score on an IQ test, stop the madness people. Send this man to prison where he belongs.....

Reality
Reality 06/22/07 - 06:26 am
He is smart enough to shoot a

He is smart enough to shoot a gun and hide from the police. Guilty is guilty............

nofrills
nofrills 06/22/07 - 06:45 am
He is what you call dumb as a

He is what you call dumb as a fox! He was the first to fire on the car making his action to open fire as proof that he is not retarded. He thought another drug dealer was doing business in his area costing him money. Throw the key away

Georgiais1
Georgiais1 06/22/07 - 07:34 am
More BS from our court

More BS from our court systems.....Anybody that does things like this can't be to smart.

ndcoleman
ndcoleman 06/22/07 - 07:43 am
I agree with nofrills, He

I agree with nofrills, He knew what he was doing. Put him away!

mrsbell
mrsbell 06/22/07 - 07:49 am
The court system is proving

The court system is proving to be incompetent. They have let this criminal get away with murder. And I agree that anyone can purposely score low on an IQ test. His IQ is probably higher than those involved in making the decision to send him to a mental facility. What a shame!

fedupcitizen
fedupcitizen 06/22/07 - 08:02 am
My stepdaugher's IQ is in the

My stepdaugher's IQ is in the low 50's as well, so I'm speaking from experience in dealing with her for years. That man knew exactly what he was doing and should be punished just like all the rest that were involved. If you're smart enough to pull a trigger your smart enough to stand trial.

FedUp
FedUp 06/22/07 - 08:20 am
I agree! Another one gets off

I agree! Another one gets off the hook. He'll be out in a few years & he'll do it again! I know someone whose IQ is 53 & she was never labeled mentally retarded. Instead she was a "slow learner" & able to pass the test at the DMV office to get a driver's license, she has a high school diploma & never spent the 1st day in special ed & she's raising 3 children! So, yes, he knew what he was doing when he helped them kill that woman just like he knew what he was doing when he took that IQ test!!!!!

takecharge2
takecharge2 06/22/07 - 08:24 am
I agree with mrsbell!!!I wuld

I agree with mrsbell!!!I wuld like to know what this punk has been going for the last 26 years? Did he go to school or work?In the end, an eye for an eye.

marien
marien 06/22/07 - 08:40 am
I agree with you all he

I agree with you all he should serve time for the crime he committed. Where is the LAW and ORDER.

SUNSETPROJECTS
SUNSETPROJECTS 06/22/07 - 08:53 am
wow!

wow!

SUNSETPROJECTS
SUNSETPROJECTS 06/22/07 - 08:55 am
what ashame

what ashame

cn683
cn683 06/22/07 - 08:55 am
i agree with you all...to me

i agree with you all...to me this is saying that if you can fail an IQ test you can get away with murder...its a free pass. shame on them.

butterflygina
butterflygina 06/22/07 - 08:59 am
I hope they commit his [filtered word]

I hope they commit his [filtered word] for a long time. See how he deals with the crazy house rather than prison? A little padded room may be good justice for him. It's a shame how this lady was killed.

PetsArePeopleToo
PetsArePeopleToo 06/22/07 - 09:07 am
He was not in such a states

He was not in such a states when he committed the crime , go figure.....

zzzman
zzzman 06/22/07 - 09:16 am
My son is mentally retarded

My son is mentally retarded he knows right from wrong. Just strap the guy in the chair,tell him he's going for a ride @ Disney Land and throw the dang switch!!!!!!!!

curly123053
curly123053 06/22/07 - 09:25 am
He was not incompetent enough

He was not incompetent enough to chase down the paper carriers he mistook for a rival drug dealer was he?
A lot of mentally handicapped know the difference between right and wrong, and some don't. I wonder where this guy fit in?

curly123053
curly123053 06/22/07 - 09:26 am
zzzman....bet he would know

zzzman....bet he would know it was not a DisneyLand ride.

zzzman
zzzman 06/22/07 - 09:59 am
I know curly,he would have a

I know curly,he would have a miraculous recovery

getalife
getalife 06/22/07 - 11:01 am
Who sets the IQ score that

Who sets the IQ score that determines he did not know what he was doing. Our justice system fails us again!!!! They should fry his [filtered word]!!!

selfab
selfab 06/22/07 - 11:29 am
I believe this person needs

I believe this person needs to be euthanized. He is no good to himself or society. More people need to be euthanized.

harrisjr
harrisjr 06/22/07 - 12:19 pm
ZZZman that right there (your

ZZZman that right there (your comment) is a real Steve Harvey moment! LOL

lazeeday
lazeeday 06/22/07 - 12:59 pm
another loop hole for

another loop hole for crimminals to screw society.Let him go live in the judges neighborhood!!!!!

GETACLUE
GETACLUE 06/22/07 - 01:06 pm
I believe that one day he

I believe that one day he will pay for his horrible life on earth. Something tells me that Hell doesnt carer if his IQ is 50. Another example of defense attorneys selling their souls to get a murderer off. Shame on them.

Forgiven1
Forgiven1 06/22/07 - 01:17 pm
selfab, who are the people

selfab, who are the people who need to be put to death? Are you included in the count? Do any of you have a personal relationship with our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. All of you have very critical opinions about someone you don't know. He without sin cast the first stone.

everyday_person
everyday_person 06/22/07 - 01:31 pm
Those of you who pointed out

Those of you who pointed out that a person with an IQ of 50-something can learn the difference between right and wrong are correct. I teach special education, and most recently, I've worked with this population labeled as mildly intellectually disabled. It is amazing what a person can accomplish with the encouragement and guidance from others. However, those with such an IQ are very concrete thinkers, and tend to follow the lead of others. Some of you mentioned knowing a successful person with an IQ in such range. These individuals, however, are probably fortunate enough to have loved ones to positively influence and encourage them. I don't know the fellow involved, but there is a good chance he was influenced by the others who were party to the crime. By the way, before I became a teacher, I was in the mental health profession. Committing this guy to a mental institution is not a free ride. Chances are that he has less amenities and more restrictions in the mental institution than he does in the prisons. This is an insider's point of view.

ann01
ann01 06/22/07 - 01:45 pm
Okay GJ you have a point.

Okay GJ you have a point. However take a look at the horrible death Debra had. The pain of her parents the pain of her brother. She was a working part of society taking on part-time employment to have what she wanted for herself. She did not sale drugs to gain anything. She was a law abiding citizen. If you feel sorry for this guy think about this could have been a relative of yours. Gun down for working for her. Anybody that can sell drugs and carry a weapon can suffer the consequences of their actions.

zzzman
zzzman 06/22/07 - 01:47 pm
cavewoman75...I just want to

cavewoman75...I just want to thank you.Because of people like you my son graduated 3 years ago. He still likes to go back to school to volunteer as he calls it.

everyday_person
everyday_person 06/22/07 - 02:45 pm
Awe, that's great news

Awe, that's great news zzzman! I'll bet your son is a great help to those he volunteers with!

germang
germang 06/22/07 - 03:07 pm
cavewoman75,I also have a son

cavewoman75,I also have a son who has a iq of 50.He is very easily influenced by others just to make friends.Society is very judgemental against those kind of people.My son also graduated and is also employed.These kind of people need lots of support,kindness and also need to be teached right from wrong as much as possible.With an iQ of 53 somebody always need to now his whereabouts.