Man to die for killing today

COLUMBIA - A South Carolina man who hijacked an armored van and killed one of its guards in 1997 was to be put to death by lethal injection today.

Calvin Alphonso Shuler, 40, is to be executed at 6 p.m. His attorneys have asked Gov. Mark Sanford for clemency, but a spokesman said Thursday that the governor's legal counsel would likely recommend against it.

Mr. Shuler was armed with a handgun and assault rifle when he ordered two guards out of an armored van that was stopped outside a Harleyville bank a decade ago. Mr. Shuler, a former co-worker of the guards, exchanged gunfire with the men before driving off in the van with James "J.B." Brooks, a third guard locked in the back of the van.

Mr. Brooks, 77, and Mr. Shuler also exchanged gunfire. Mr. Shuler was wounded in the neck before he got into another vehicle and fled.

Authorities later found Mr. Brooks' body in the van, which was abandoned along a dirt road several miles from the bank.

Mr. Shuler is scheduled to be executed by lethal injection, a method that has come under scrutiny across the nation after some botched procedures. In Ohio last month, it took 90 minutes for executioners to find a vein, and the man being put to death was allowed a bathroom break.

A Florida man executed in December twice asked "What's happening?" during his 34-minute procedure and grimaced when the chemicals finally began flowing through his system.

South Carolina prisons spokesman Josh Gelinas said in a statement Thursday that the agency "goes to great lengths to perform its duty professionally and with utmost respect for everyone involved."

Changing the way executions are performed has not been discussed in South Carolina, where death row inmates may choose between the electric chair and lethal injection, said Lisa Kimbrough, a Columbia attorney who worked on Mr. Shuler's case.

"What you typically see is that it comes up after a horribly botched execution, and I suspect that, if that happened in our state, that would certainly get people's attention," Ms. Kimbrough said.

Mr. Shuler's attorneys had argued to the South Carolina Supreme Court that lethal injection was cruel and unusual punishment, but on Wednesday the high court rejected their request to stop the execution, Ms. Kimbrough said.

"With several recent cases documenting problems with lethal injection, there's also a growing section of the legal community that thinks that is also a violation of the Eighth Amendment," Ms. Kimbrough said.

Over the past year, about a dozen states have, at some point, put executions on hold because of concerns over lethal injection procedures, said David Elliot of the National Coalition Against the Death Penalty.

mutt
mutt 06/22/07 - 04:37 am
Liberalism is a mental

Liberalism is a mental disorder. I don't care if the injection sets this guy on fire, and it consumes him slowly from the feet up over a 2 day period. How "humane" was this theiving dog when he was shooting that 77 year old man to death for no good reason? I think he should be placed in his cell and shot at while he tries to scramble in that small space for his life, and then left locked in as he bleeds out slowly. That's what he did to that old man, and all to take what didn't belong to him. What kind of warped mind cares if this guy is stressed out by his execution, or feels a moment of pain? I think it should be a TV event. Show what he did to that old man, then show him being gunned down in his cell, and not with one clean shot either. Maybe that would actually deter someone else from choosing the path this walking pile of dung chose..

Sarge
Sarge 06/22/07 - 06:01 am
I agree with mutt, how can we

I agree with mutt, how can we not consider what he put the victim through. If the lethal injection takes a hundred tries to get it right, so what!!! At the end of the day, this guy deserves to die!!!!

legal_works
legal_works 06/22/07 - 06:02 am
I totally agree with you

I totally agree with you mutt. I witnessed an execution by lethal injection last year and they die a much easier death than the ones they murdered!!!! That is a fact... It was like going to sleep...I will be curious to see what us taxpayers fed his [filtered word] for his last meal too. Probably crab legs and shrimp, something my family would like to be able to afford to eat for dinner.

Tim Walters
Tim Walters 06/22/07 - 06:55 am
Bring back the hangings, They

Bring back the hangings, They do not have a Grimace on their face.

Timco

jaschild
jaschild 06/22/07 - 07:01 am
I am curious: when did we

I am curious: when did we develop the notion that we are supposed to feel anguish for someone being executed? I'm not advocating that we torture this murderer, but I also don't think that we should be overly concerned if the means used to dispose of him results in his discomfort.

chef67
chef67 06/22/07 - 07:47 am
Remember world history. The

Remember world history. The Romans had very little crime per capita. There form of capital punishment was crucifixion. That would be a very effective detterrent.

jebko
jebko 06/22/07 - 08:10 am
I wonder if they use a

I wonder if they use a sterile needle for the procedure?

darr350
darr350 06/22/07 - 08:11 am
Ten years is way to long to

Ten years is way to long to be footing the bill for these death row inmates.The system does not work.South Carolina should take a lesson from Texas, they have an assembly line. I also agree with mutt,why do I care if they suffer,they didn't care if there victims suffered. Once again, its the system, the criminal has all the rights and the victim has none. They sit on there azz for ten years while we the tax payer buy there food, T.V.'s for there comfort and free medical care. If they can not afford a crooked lawyer we pay for them one. This guy admitted to this crime and we have spent millions on his comfort and upkeep.

Little Whitey
Little Whitey 06/22/07 - 08:13 am
Give him exactly what he gave

Give him exactly what he gave the armored guards, a pistol to the head, and leave him on a dirt road. I doubt very seriously if the gun will not fire if in the right hand.

Little Whitey
Little Whitey 06/22/07 - 08:15 am
jebko, it's not a tattoo

jebko, it's not a tattoo parlor.....Go Figure..

Southern_Belle2006
Southern_Belle2006 06/22/07 - 08:16 am
eactly chef, however, they

eactly chef, however, they also had even more torturous forms of execution. if those examples were followed today we would not even be talking about this. and executions are not a revenge but it is not fair that they die so easily when their victims were tortured. They should be mede to live what they did to their victims over and over day in and day out and if they were i would gladly pay to keep them alive and not execute them......

Southern_Belle2006
Southern_Belle2006 06/22/07 - 08:18 am
sorry for the spelling

sorry for the spelling errors....

jaschild
jaschild 06/22/07 - 08:22 am
i'm not advocating revenge or

i'm not advocating revenge or torture. pleas don't bring religion into this discussion - you'd have to swim thru oceans of blood to deal with the murders done at the hands of "believers" in the name of whatever they worship before we got around to discussing revenge or justice. suffice it to say that i believe if reasonable attempts are made to ensure that the sentence is carried out in a humane manner i'm satisfied that justice is served, regardless of whether or not a snafu occurs in the execution process. i'd sooner shed a tear if an animal being euthanized feels pain.

takecharge2
takecharge2 06/22/07 - 08:38 am
His lawyer will order an IQ

His lawyer will order an IQ test to show he is now incompetent. It is called "Get out of jail free card".

LoveBlackAndWhite
LoveBlackAndWhite 06/22/07 - 08:43 am
Kill the terrorist! I agree

Kill the terrorist! I agree with the public hangings. Let's charge for the viewings and put the proceeds in our school systems. We need to fix our constitution and do away with all of these appeals. I know we have that system so judges and lawyers can be employed but it's not working because innocent people are being killed. I think whenever someone denies they have done a crime, they should get double the punishment because of the tax money wasted from these liars. DUIs should get a year in prison, child molestors should be publicly hung, armed robbers should get 50 years in prison. Let's send them to the Maker earlier! Build more prisons and then turn them into schools when the crime rate slows.

marien
marien 06/22/07 - 08:51 am
You do the crime you take the

You do the crime you take the punishment.

PetsArePeopleToo
PetsArePeopleToo 06/22/07 - 09:04 am
He should reap from the same

He should reap from the same seeds he has sown.

letsee
letsee 06/22/07 - 09:08 am
IMUStheRapper, I agree, but

IMUStheRapper, I agree, but instead of the armed robbers getting 50 years in prison (wasting our tax dollars) just tar and feather them or better yet, do as the Chinese do cut off their hand.

zzzman
zzzman 06/22/07 - 09:09 am
Maybe they ought to offer him

Maybe they ought to offer him to the victims family first!

Really Bugged
Really Bugged 06/22/07 - 09:19 am
I say we bring in a

I say we bring in a guillotine, it's quick, it's almost painless. It's a little messy (have the other inmates clean up the mess). You could even bronze the heads and display them at local court houses and police stations, or we could sell the headss on ebay and try to recover all the money we wasted on keeping them alive.

moneyman1035
moneyman1035 06/22/07 - 09:45 am
Well lets go back to hanging

Well lets go back to hanging them in town square, or a shooting them

concernedparent1
concernedparent1 06/22/07 - 09:50 am
Are any of you running for

Are any of you running for public office. I think Richmond County School Board could use you, Augusta Richmond County Board or even Georgia State could use you. Where do I vote....... I agree, why should we care if there is discomfort during any part of their punishment when they did not give a second thought when committing the crime. My only prayer is that he now has thought about it and passes his remorse to his family and that there someone will learn and grow from it.

paragod112
paragod112 06/22/07 - 09:56 am
Here is the big PICTURE the

Here is the big PICTURE the man killed someone sencelessly and I bet he did not care he killed someone's husband,father,and grandfather I don't feel pitty for this man he is a killer a cold blooded killer he left an elderly man to bleed to death in a metal lock box time to give this man the justice he needs and deserves let forget about these stupid studies inject him electricute him crucifiy or hang him but bring him to justice and let the peace lovin tree hugging hippie cry families deserve the justice. he needs the justice

WW1949
WW1949 06/22/07 - 10:24 am
put a needle in each arm so

put a needle in each arm so if one doesn't work the other will.

CoastalDawg
CoastalDawg 06/22/07 - 10:51 am
First, a grammatical note:

First, a grammatical note: The headline indicates that the KILLING is occurring today when in actuality the execution is TODAY for a killing a decade ago. And then there are also the usual grammatical and spelling errors in postings - but to speak to whether or not we as God's children should endorse executions it is my belief that God in His infinite wisdom and infallible word allows for the STATE to execute those who have committed certain offenses. The state acts in behalf of its citizens and the act of executing a person guilty of certain heinous crimes is not revenge but instead is punishment for the crime committed. Another crime arises within those bounds when the state delays the execution for ten or more years as in this case. The jury has spoken, the judge has passed sentence yet the state refuses to carry out the sentence. An automatic review insures that all correct proceedings have occurred during the trial. At one point there was a proposal for one other state appeal and one federal appeal IF there was "evidence" to support federal intervention. In most cases, this dragging out the execution date is an attempt of attorneys to circumvent justice.

zzzman
zzzman 06/22/07 - 10:52 am
The victim didn't have

The victim didn't have another 10 years!

LynxRHot
LynxRHot 06/22/07 - 11:36 am
CoastalDawg...I'm glad you

CoastalDawg...I'm glad you pointed out the error. I noticed it, too. Great minds think alike! :-)

zzzman
zzzman 06/22/07 - 12:22 pm
CoastalDawg...I like what you

CoastalDawg...I like what you have to say so say it, just leave out the part about how much better you are than the rest of us.

Southern_Belle2006
Southern_Belle2006 06/22/07 - 12:32 pm
thank you zzzman...and i

thank you zzzman...and i appologized for my spelling errors and i am not really worried about the other errors in English as I am not writing to anyone but others like me....i agree with your view but you sound entirely too "I am better than anyone else" with that.....

Southern_Belle2006
Southern_Belle2006 06/22/07 - 12:34 pm
opps I made another error

opps I made another error ......