2-year-old drowns in pool

A 2-year-old Martinez boy drowned Saturday in a swimming pool behind his home after he apparently let family dogs out while his mother was in the shower, authorities said.

Bradley W. Miner, of the 400 block of Baker Woods Trail, was pronounced dead at 11:38 a.m. at Medical College of Georgia Children's Medical Center, Columbia County Coroner Vernon Collins said.

"We don't know for sure, but it's a possibility one of the dogs might have knocked him into the pool," Mr. Collins said.

It was not immediately clear how long the child was in the water, he said.

The toddler's mother, Christi Hopkins-Miner, found the child in the pool and began life-saving measures, Mr. Collins said.

First responders were notified at 10:31 a.m. and arrived at the home within six minutes, Mr. Collins said.

"He was brought in (to the medical center) with CPR in-progress from his residence," the coroner said.

He said Mrs. Hopkins-Miner told him the boy does not normally wander near the pool alone.

An autopsy will be performed at the Georgia Bureau of Investigation crime lab in Atlanta either today or Monday, Mr. Collins said.

Columbia County sheriff's Maj. Rick Whitaker said the incident is under investigation and no charges have been filed.

Bradley's father, Scott Miner, is on military deployment in Texas but has been informed of the 2-year-old's death, Mr. Collins said.

Messages left at the Miner home were not immediately returned Saturday.

Reach J. Scott Trubey at (706) 868-1222, ext. 109, or jeffery.trubey@augustachronicle.com.

wcr250
wcr250 06/10/07 - 02:43 am
Surely your newspaper did not

Surely your newspaper did not call this home about such a tragedy,What do you mean no one responded to messages left at this home. if you people have done this ,shame on you

CKB
CKB 06/10/07 - 04:06 am
ghdan250, I totally agree

ghdan250, I totally agree with you. This family is suffering enough without all of the media in their faces. Does the newspaper, or Jeffery Turbey know the meaning of giving someone space at a time like this? If he really did call, I would like to apologize to this family for this tastless act. Please know others care about you and have you in their thoughts and prayers during this dark time.

As It Is
As It Is 06/10/07 - 04:25 am
I agree - the next headline

I agree - the next headline in the news should be... Messages left by an over anxious obnixous reporter were not immediately returned. Of course they weren't returned, her 2 year old son just got out of the house, fell into the pool and has died and the reporter dosen't understand why his calls were not returned. The press continues to go to far to get their story in the name of reporting. Enough is enough, give it a freaking rest already.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 06/10/07 - 04:45 am
How about this

How about this headline....Obnoxous Reporter Hunted Down and Choked to Death.

Reality
Reality 06/10/07 - 05:13 am
I always like when they ask

I always like when they ask what does the person think about the situation. How do they think they would feel if the were going through a terrible tragedy? But if we didn't read it they wouldn't print it....

justputtin
justputtin 06/10/07 - 07:19 am
Very, very sad. Horrible

Very, very sad. Horrible tradgedy. God bless the family.

jboat
jboat 06/10/07 - 07:51 am
My heart truly goes out to

My heart truly goes out to this family as I know the horrors of what they are experiencing to have a child nearly die from drowning. I pray that God gives you the strength to make it through and I am sure He will, if you trust Him even in a time like this.

Jacqueline Boatwright, Juan's Mom

pat2run
pat2run 06/10/07 - 08:17 am
My prayers for the family...

My prayers for the family... what a sad tragedy. I hope the family doesn't hear on the answering machine: "Mrs. Hopkins-Miner, I'm a reporter with the Augusta Chronicle. Would you like to share your thoughts or how you are feeling so I can publish it in the paper to increase our circulation of the paper. Also.. I realize that your son died less than 5-6 hours ago, but please call me back so I can make the stories deadline."

Again.. my prayers are with the family. And.. when it is your time to goto heaven, a beautiful little boy will have his arms open to you. God Bless!

curly123053
curly123053 06/10/07 - 08:32 am
The reporter is more

The reporter is more concerned about a story than he or she is about giving the family space and compassion. Most reporters are of the liberal mindset anyways and liberals do not think about the individual as a person but as a subject.

Parent
Parent 06/10/07 - 08:52 am
The next headline should be,

The next headline should be, "Reporter fired" then maybe the paper will regain some diginity.

tdp
tdp 06/10/07 - 08:55 am
This story is heartbreaking.

This story is heartbreaking. Hopefully it will inspire others to install a locked fence around their backyard pools so the same tragedy doesn't befall their children.

mary_snead
mary_snead 06/10/07 - 08:58 am
I think it is absolutely

I think it is absolutely outrageous that the reporter was silly enough to leave a message. Shame on the reporter is right! Where does the media get off thinking everyone owes them an explanation at such a time? Yeah, this is irresponsible journalism!

intheknow
intheknow 06/10/07 - 09:03 am
CURRLY123053, You are worst

CURRLY123053, You are worst than that reporter> How in the hell can you say something about ' The Liberal mindset." For all you know his mother is a LIBERAL. It is stupid comments like yours, that keep people a part.

peonynut
peonynut 06/10/07 - 09:05 am
someone should have been

someone should have been watching him.

Khaaaaaan
Khaaaaaan 06/10/07 - 09:37 am
Who leaves a two year old

Who leaves a two year old unsupervised around unlocked doors? I understand being in the shower...but has anyone heard of locks out of the reach of little hands? Not to mention alarming the doors...

a.non.ymous
a.non.ymous 06/10/07 - 09:43 am
Folks, my wife and I both

Folks,
my wife and I both work in the media. This is not the kind of story we would ever take pleasure in reporting. However, as a cautionary tale it is in the public interest that it be told. Give the reporter a break, he is only doing his job. And yes, to verify facts, you do have to call the people involved even if they are experiencing a tragedy. My heart goes out ot the family.

WAG
WAG 06/10/07 - 10:03 am
There is only one fact you

There is only one fact you need to know . The child drowned. Leave them alone.

EdithPiaf
EdithPiaf 06/10/07 - 10:04 am
We discussed this in the rant

We discussed this in the rant and raves blogs about a month or two ago. There were so many mommies who posted about how we never let our toddlers out of sight even for a minute to take a shower. We specifically talked about how we would even take our babies in the shower with us sometimes. My heart goes out to this family, especially the mother because she is going to go through feelings of guilt and the "I shoulda's". Peonynut--- you're absolutely right... someone should have been watching him, but she probably realizes now that it was a grave mistake and does not need any chastising from anyone.

respectyourelderstoo
respectyourelderstoo 06/10/07 - 10:12 am
i totally agree that you

i totally agree that you should leave this family alone.my sympathy goes out to the family.all the should haves ain't gonna bring this child back.don,t make the mom feel worse than she already does.

iletuknow
iletuknow 06/10/07 - 10:37 am
Swimming pool owners with

Swimming pool owners with toddlers about should have a retaining fence installed around the pool. (Code required in Florida)

gcap
gcap 06/10/07 - 10:37 am
I studied journalism at UGA

I studied journalism at UGA and was never taught to "verify information" from bereaved families on the day of the death of their child. It's the stuff of Rosie O'Donnell. But what do you expect of heartless career seekers?

Does_it_really_matter
Does_it_really_matter 06/10/07 - 11:26 am
Speaking of supervising...who

Speaking of supervising...who the h*ll was supervising this reporter while his fingers did the walking on the phone. How in God's name could a reporter, editor or anyone else justify that? Shame. Shame on them all.

a.non.ymous
a.non.ymous 06/10/07 - 11:52 am
Obviously UGA is not teaching

Obviously UGA is not teaching the standards of the RTNDA. Sometimes we are forced to report ugly facts. I hated having to look at photos of Lottie Paynes dead children. It broke me up so bad that I had to ask for the news department at my station to wait and let me compose myself. However, as a parent of 2-year old, we must constantly be reminded that they are in our care and must be watched. This child died and that is an awful fact. Yet, it is in the public interest that it be reported. The reporter was doing his job, give him a break.

mgroothand
mgroothand 06/10/07 - 12:23 pm
The RTNDA

The RTNDA (Radio,Television,News Directors Association) also has standards of common sense. It does not make sense for Scott to call the family. To verify his story he could have spoken to a police officer or the coroner. More verification or comment from the mother was not necessary.

aj
aj 06/10/07 - 12:44 pm
It's a horrible tragedy and

It's a horrible tragedy and my heart goes out to them. Pools have always scared me with little ones. Even with an above ground and taking the ladder out. Just because their baby never went near the pool, was this when you were looking? All ages explore when you're not looking. There should have been a locked fence. I usually kept mine in the bathroom with me while taking a shower and we talked or she took a shower with me. I didn't have a pool when my children were that young. I hope and pray this doesn't happen again this summer but you know it will. Very heartbreaking.

Dan4th
Dan4th 06/10/07 - 12:48 pm
Scott stop thinking that we

Scott stop thinking that we the public want to know all the details. If we are close to the family we can get the arrangements or DETAILS ourselves. As for us others, myself included we don't need to know anymore as our prayers have already started.

eliz10
eliz10 06/10/07 - 01:05 pm
Hopefully, two positive

Hopefully, two positive things will come from this tragedy. First, all of us will be extra cautious with our children. Secondly, perhaps all of us will begin to call reporters on the carpet when they intrude into people's lives who have suffered a tragedy. What possible newsworthy comment could this mother or father have to make at this time and why would the media think that it is their "duty" to contact any family at a time like this. There are publications available for people who like this type of "journalism" . They are called tabloids.

gcap
gcap 06/10/07 - 01:19 pm
s hudson lamely defends

s hudson lamely defends journalism, which isn't the same in principle as it was a decade or so ago. Fact is, the reporter did a good job until the last sentence. The question remains: Why call the grieving parent when no foul play is suspected? "Inquiring minds want to know." (For those new to journalism, that was the slogan for The National Enquirer, the leading purveyor of yellow journalism.) s hudson, real journalists like Edward R. Murrow would curse that last line as sensationalistic torture. Incidentally, where did you go to J-school?

inhislove
inhislove 06/10/07 - 01:26 pm
This isn't a case of neglect.

This isn't a case of neglect. He was 2 years old and sometimes they slip away. It says they don't know how long he was in the pool for, what if it was 3 minutes! Don't speak up with such a judgement when you don't know the facts, the families read this. What if someone said that about you?

Cur1yK8
Cur1yK8 06/10/07 - 01:27 pm
As a reporter, you always

As a reporter, you always contact the family or friends for more insight on the deceased person. Believe me, no reporter likes having to make those phone calls. But, many times the family enjoys speaking about the passed person, like their hobbies or their interests. Sometimes they don't and that's fine. You all can "call reporters on the carpet when they intrude into people's lives who have suffered a tragedy" and that's your right. But reporters won't stop calling and their editors won't stop requiring them to make these calls or knock on their doors.