Carjacker goes to mall to shop

VIDEO: Mall carjacking suspect approaches woman before leaving store. [43 sec.]

Richmond County investigators are searching for a man who carjacked two women Thursday and was caught on a surveillance video after he used one of the women's credit cards at Dillard's.

At about 11 a.m., a woman was vacuuming her GMC Yukon at Top Notch Car Wash, 2841 Washington Road. A man in a dirty white T-shirt and khaki pants approached and asked her about a job.

"He talked to her for a few seconds, and she was ignoring him," Richmond County sheriff's Investigator Tom Johnson said.

The man then made a dash for the woman's driver seat.

"She fought with him outside the car while he was trying to get in," Investigator Johnson said.

The woman was not harmed in the incident, but the man was able to get away in her vehicle.

About an hour-and-a-half later, mall surveillance videos caught him leaving Dillard's at the Augusta Mall with three bags of clothes. According to a sheriff's office news release, he used one of the woman's credit cards to buy the items, then changed his clothes before leaving the store.

Outside, he ditched the first victim's vehicle and approached another woman. He demanded the keys to her car and her belongings, the release said. After a brief struggle in which the woman was injured slightly, the man fled in her 2004 Ford Mustang, only to return to the mall at about 8 p.m. to shop some more.

In a separate carjacking incident, a woman foiled a group of men who attempted to steal her car while she was at a stop sign on Forest Street on Thursday afternoon.

One of the men approached her Kia Sorento and said, "Ma'am, we need your car," a sheriff's report said. He then pointed a 9 mm handgun at her. She grabbed the gun, causing the suspect to pull away, the report said. When he did, the woman drove off, and the man fired four shots at her, one of which struck the rear of her car.

Investigators are asking anyone with information about any of the incidents to contact them at (706) 821-1080.

Reach Adam Folk at (706) 823-3339 or adam.folk@augustachronicle.com.

edst4
edst4 06/09/07 - 06:57 am
Sounds like I am going to

Sounds like I am going to need to get a gun permit for me and my wife now. I have the guns but no permit. If somebody trys to take my car I will shoot. No questions asked

peonynut
peonynut 06/09/07 - 07:19 am
Me too.

Me too.

jgdarling
jgdarling 06/09/07 - 08:02 am
Shouldn't headline be

mystery30815
mystery30815 06/09/07 - 08:34 am
Umm the first carjacking

Umm the first carjacking happened on Washington road. So to state Carjacking at Augusta Mall wouldn't be entirely correct.

GETACLUE
GETACLUE 06/09/07 - 08:39 am
You forget, we are in 2007.

You forget, we are in 2007. If you shot the thug while he was robbing your wife and stealing your hard earned money and car, then the ACLU idiots would sue you and win. It would infringe upon his right to rob and steal.

Reality
Reality 06/09/07 - 08:57 am
I guess the store clerks

I guess the store clerks didn't check the ID of the thief. The picture or the signature couldn't have matched....

crackertroy
crackertroy 06/09/07 - 10:11 am
Adam gets all the cool

Adam gets all the cool stories. This guy must have wanted to get caught for some reason or another, no one could be that dumb unless he was counting on the sorriness of the local police force to do anything about his crimes.

intheknow
intheknow 06/09/07 - 10:55 am
iqdarling, that's because the

iqdarling, that's because the car jacking did NOT take place at the Augusta Mall. So, I guess you will have to wait until something take place their, to get your shot in at the mall.

jgdarling
jgdarling 06/09/07 - 11:07 am
Outside, he ditched the first

Reads like a carjacking at the mall to me.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 06/09/07 - 11:19 am
He went to the mall to shop

He went to the mall to shop twice after each car jacking... the first one wasn't even stolen at the mall..... the title is correct!!!

mystery30815
mystery30815 06/09/07 - 11:19 am
Which was the second

Which was the second carjacking jqdarling. Wouldn't be entirely accurate if it was titled Carjacking at Augusta Mall.

AugKitty
AugKitty 06/09/07 - 11:33 am
jqdarling...just take your

jqdarling...just take your criticism like a grown-up and get over it. You initially stated, "Shouldn't headline be "Carjacking at the Augusta Mall"? Guess Chronicle has many advertisers out there." So No, you were wrong. The first one didn't happen at the mall so why would they title the article in such a way...can't stand people that like to dish it out but can't take it back...

ladybug2
ladybug2 06/09/07 - 12:03 pm
What is going on in

What is going on in Augusta..this is just terrible

Capdad
Capdad 06/09/07 - 12:46 pm
It would be interesting to

It would be interesting to hear what he was saying to the young woman. I'm sure it was trash talk. Look at the the way he motions his hand after she spoke to him. It's like "whatever".
And 'ladybug' what planet have you been on over the past few years? It's 2007 not 1907!

Rose
Rose 06/09/07 - 12:49 pm
capdad, it IS terrible what

capdad, it IS terrible what is going on in Augusta. I know it is 2007 not 1907.

notsuprised
notsuprised 06/09/07 - 12:59 pm
I dont think I will shop at

I dont think I will shop at Dillard's again if they are in the habit of not check ID and protecting identities. They should eat the loss and suspend the employee that failed to check ID.

intheknow
intheknow 06/09/07 - 01:07 pm
iqdarling, you do not know

iqdarling, you do not know the whole story on the ALLEGED second car jacking. Before you ask, Yes I do know what she has stated.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 06/09/07 - 01:21 pm
When you have a store that

When you have a store that has the card swiper out for the customerto do on their own they never check ID's. It's been a while since I have been in there so I don't know if they use this type now or now. At most stores the cashier never even has possesion of the card to even see if the card had a womans name on it.

CSRAresident
CSRAresident 06/09/07 - 01:52 pm
What race is that coward

What race is that coward anyways? It is hard to tell from the video and the paper catches all heck if they call it like it is sometimes.

jff
jff 06/09/07 - 02:35 pm
i wish the punk would try to

i wish the punk would try to carjack me.

curly123053
curly123053 06/09/07 - 02:40 pm
On the back of my card where

On the back of my card where the signature goes I wrote "request ID" and only half of the time they ask me for it. These retailers should start biting the bullet when stolen cards are used. If somebody has a stolen card they are not likely to have proper ID.

Rose
Rose 06/09/07 - 04:02 pm
jff he looks white. I saw it

jff he looks white. I saw it on tv last night.

GET REAL1
GET REAL1 06/09/07 - 06:08 pm
rodeo, what difference does

rodeo, what difference does it make what race he is? he is a criminal. just what are u trying to imply?

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 06/09/07 - 06:46 pm
well its not a good picture

well its not a good picture but it maybe would help in identifing him if the clerk saw him up close. He looks white to me.. but he could be hispanic, italian, chinese..

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 06/09/07 - 06:48 pm
Actually I looked at the

Actually I looked at the video and where he is talking to the woman he looks white to me.. thats the best shot of him. I hope someone knows him and turns his butt in!! punk!!!

Rose
Rose 06/09/07 - 07:22 pm
keshaanderson, it matters

keshaanderson, it matters what color he is,because what race he is will help identify him.

littlechick37
littlechick37 06/09/07 - 09:27 pm
It shouldnt matter what his

It shouldnt matter what his race is it matters to what crime he did and that yes employees should check Ids even if its a bank card I use to be a cashier I know how it is. Some places check drivers license and some places check the name on the card and their picture Id. Hope they find the guy so he can do his time.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 06/09/07 - 09:53 pm
Rose you are correct. It's

Rose you are correct. It's foolish to ignore the guys race. If the video show's he's white, then the police can avoid a great deal of time looking for someone who is not white. Race is a great identifier. People need to stop being so sensitive. Just because you identify a perp's race does not mean you are saying anything about that race. It's just like identifying if he had a big tatoo or some other easily identifiable marking.

AugustaVoter
AugustaVoter 06/10/07 - 12:33 am
He is white. About 5'7"-5'10"

He is white. About 5'7"-5'10" in height. And stupid as a bunch of rocks!

_kpc_
_kpc_ 06/10/07 - 01:47 am
Most criminals are pretty

Most criminals are pretty stupid. I wouldn't be so hard on rocks if I were you.

Commission rejects tax jump

Seven commissioners nixed a proposed tax increase Monday that would cost a typical homeowner $70 a year, leaving the countywide millage unset with just a few days to meet state deadlines.