1999 attack linked to teacher's death

Complications from injuries suffered in an attack by one of her pupils caused the death of a former special education teacher, Richmond County Coroner Grover Tuten said Friday.

Delayed complications of multiple blunt and sharp force injuries were responsible for the death Thursday of Linda Gail Hendrick, 59, Mr. Tuten said.

Ms. Hendrick, who taught at Murphey Middle School, had been in a coma since being severely beaten and stabbed by 14-year-old David Drayton, on Nov. 22, 1999. He was convicted of aggravated assault in Richmond County Juvenile Court and sentenced to five years. He was released in December 2004.

The attack against Ms. Hendrick occurred in a restroom attached to her classroom. The teacher was left to suffer from what District Attorney Danny Craig described as a lingering "traumatic brain injury."

She was stabbed 70 times with a pair of scissors.

Mr. Craig said Friday that he cannot comment on whether Ms. Hendrick's death will lead to murder charges.

In 2000, the Georgia General Assembly passed the Gail Hendrick Law, giving juvenile judges authority to try juveniles as adults if older than 13.

Mr. Craig said the new law elevated aggravated battery, a crime that had been considered a misdemeanor, to felony status.

Reach Sylvia Cooper at (706) 823-3228 or sylvia.cooper@augustachronicle.com.

CKB
CKB 06/02/07 - 07:34 am
This is so sad. I have had

This is so sad. I have had these parents and Ms. Hendrick's financee in my thoughts and prayers since the attack. I am so glad Ms. Hendrick had the love and support from her family; many do not. I am thankful Ms. Hendrick is in a better place and will never have to feel the pain she endured for so long. I also feel for Mr. Drayton's family. This has to be devastating for both sides.

augbr
augbr 06/02/07 - 10:09 am
in case anyone cares, Drayton

in case anyone cares, Drayton was arrested yesterday in connection to her death.

punkin702
punkin702 06/02/07 - 10:13 am
he should not be charged for

he should not be charged for murder he already served his time in jail

Band_AId
Band_AId 06/02/07 - 10:31 am
I feel he should be charged

I feel he should be charged with murder. She would not have been in that condition if it were not for his actions. That is why we have so many problems today. So many people wanting to go easy on wrong doers.

Brenda_G
Brenda_G 06/02/07 - 10:51 am
Punkin702, the time Drayton

Punkin702, the time Drayton served was for aggravated assault. The charge now should be murder or manslaughter under the "but for" theory, meaning, but for Drayton's actions Mrs. Hendrick would most likely still be alive. Let's say you have a child that is hit by a car, seriously injured and the driver is at fault. Driver is ticketed and charged appropriately for the incident. Your child later dies, perhaps with pneumonia, associated with lengthy recovery. Are you now satisfied because the driver was fined at the time of the injury there should be no further action taken against the driver?

mary_snead
mary_snead 06/02/07 - 11:39 am
It was absolutely ridiculous

It was absolutely ridiculous and a gross injustice to Hendrick (and any other law-abiding citizen) that Drayton only received 5 years in a detention center for an attempted murder which was watered down to an "aggravated assault" charge. It is absurd to believe that 5 years would be sufficient punishment for Drayton. He has received no more than a slap on the wrist for killing a person because, essentially, Gail Hendrick's life ended in 1999. Punkin 702 is obviously too immature, as well as stupid, to realize the magnitiude of Drayton's actions

younameit
younameit 06/02/07 - 12:23 pm
mary snead: Aggravated

mary snead: Aggravated Assault is an assault with intent to kill. It carries a maximum sentence of 20 years. Criminal Attempt to commit any crime carries a maximum punishment of one-half of the sentence for the completed crime. Murder carries a life sentence and the law computes one-half of a life sentence as 10 years. Because Aggrvated Assault carries the greater sentence, it is used instead of Criminal Attempt to Commit Murder. In Juvenile Court, the maximum sentence for any crime is 5 years. At the time Gail Hendrick was attacked, there was no jurisdiction over her attacker in Superior Court. Thus, he was sentenced to the maximum term in Juvenile Court.

DISAPPOINTED1
DISAPPOINTED1 06/02/07 - 12:25 pm
Brenda G if Ms. Hendrick had

Brenda G if Ms. Hendrick had died at the time of the attack then this child should have been charged with murder. I have been a nurse for a long time and have worked with tramautic brain injury victims. Once the injury to the brain has occurred and life has been maintained for years it is complications and failure of the vital organs to sustain life that kills the person. Coroner Grover Tuten ought to be ashamed of the wording that he used to describe the cause of death. Now for your "but for" theory, It makes me think about Danny Craig daughter's actions. Someone had a child that most likely would have still been alive if it was not for her neligence. Is the system justified in how this manslaughter case was handled. She was responsible for a life being taken, and although she might be handicap as a result of what she did he is not allowing her to be treated like this young man is being treated. I'm sure there are some that feel that he should have tried her and placed her in a medical institution for criminals but he didn't. In today's society we are so quick to judge, but when it comes to justice being served to one of our own then we want to deviate away from the law.

younameit
younameit 06/02/07 - 01:15 pm
Disappointed: Danny Craig has

Disappointed: Danny Craig has never worked in the court where Vehicular Homicide in the Second Degree is prosecuted. He could not have disallowed his daughter's prosecution. The reason she has not been prosecuted is that she is in a coma and is not competent to stand trial. Our judicial system uses prisons to rehabilitate, restrain, punsh and deter. None of these purposes culd be served by incacerating a comatose patient. The Craigs have people in their home all the time to pray for Sarah. Why don't you drop by. They're in the book.

Brenda_G
Brenda_G 06/02/07 - 01:43 pm
Disappointed: But for the

Disappointed: But for the actions of Drayton, Ms. Hamrick may never have sustained a brain injury.

DISAPPOINTED1
DISAPPOINTED1 06/02/07 - 04:32 pm
Barquy1 if these are some of

Barquy1 if these are some of the things the judicial system offer then I hope rehabilitation was offered to him, being as young as he was. I will continue praying for Ms. Craig just like I have always and will do so for Mr. Drayton and Ms. Hendricks, because I believe prayer changes things. My heart goes out to all the people that are involved and I do hope Mr. Drayton has asked God to forgive him for what he did to Ms. Hendricks and is living a life that is pleasing to God. Then no matter how man tries to judge him on earth they will finally figure out that this battle is the Lord! And it is hard on both families involved with loved ones.

mable8
mable8 06/02/07 - 04:50 pm
Disappointed: I hope YOU

Disappointed: I hope YOU never have to endure what the Hendricks family has over the past 8 years; perhaps if some drastic incident occurred where you and/or your family is concerned, you wouldn't be so judgmental in your religious zeal. Unfortunately, Ms Hendricks suffered a great deal because of the student's malicious behavior. He should be tried for murder, but because of the law at the time of the attack, he cannot be tried today as an adult. I hope he gets the maximum of another 5 years; rather small sentence and certainly not one of justice. I don't believe the perpetrator ever acknowledge his wrong-doing or showed any remorse for what he did.

LoveBlackAndWhite
LoveBlackAndWhite 06/02/07 - 05:19 pm
DISAPPOINTED: May I ask your

DISAPPOINTED: May I ask your race? I'm just glad that David did not do my relative like that. =) Jesus loves all! Add me to your prayers too DIAPPOINTED. I'll do the same for you.

pantherluvcik
pantherluvcik 06/02/07 - 05:47 pm
IMUS what does disappointed's

IMUS what does disappointed's race have to do with this discussion. And everyone should be able to voice their opinion without being called stupid mary snead. Nobody called you stupid because your opinion differed from theirs.

pantherluvcik
pantherluvcik 06/02/07 - 05:53 pm
If he is charged then his

If he is charged then his sentence should include credit for his time already served. He is being punished twice for the same assault no matter how you put it. He was 14 with disabilities.

LoveBlackAndWhite
LoveBlackAndWhite 06/02/07 - 06:06 pm
The disabilities of this

The disabilities of this criminal are not mental. Attempted murder and murder are two different offenses.

LoveBlackAndWhite
LoveBlackAndWhite 06/02/07 - 06:19 pm
I hope they call me for the

I hope they call me for the jury! =) His "minutes" served should not be taken away from his life/death sentence. When a juvenile does grown-up acts, he/she should get grown-up sentencing! God Bless the Hendrick's family. Remember the pledge of allegiance says "justice for all".

pantherluvcik
pantherluvcik 06/02/07 - 06:23 pm
She had no quality of life

She had no quality of life all these years and I know I will get blasted for this but she was brain dead. There is no way I would allow my loved one to linger in this state for that many years. I agree that they are two different offenses, but he only assaulted her once. So as I said he should get credit for time served, And he should be charged as a juvenile. He should be prosecuted under the laws that existed at the time of the crime. My heart goes out to all families involved in this situation.

pantherluvcik
pantherluvcik 06/02/07 - 06:24 pm
And i hope they don't call

And i hope they don't call you for the jury, because jury members should be fair and impartial, which you are not.

LoveBlackAndWhite
LoveBlackAndWhite 06/02/07 - 06:44 pm
Thanks. Will you reveal your

Thanks. Will you reveal your race pantherluvcik? I'm caucasian. I'm glad someone sees me as unfair and impartial. Is that the consensus of this blog? or am I identifying things that are alive in our society? I'll call it "reverse" discriminatory views that some african-americans have towards caucasians in our society. =) Some that want criminals to escape justice because of their race. You wanted them to pull the plug so this criminal could not be charged with murder? Is that what you're saying? Want to make them feel bad for all the hoping and praying that she would come out of the coma from such a barbarian attack? Could this be a hate crime? I'll pray to my God for you! BTW-I bet you even hoped Imus got fired for saying lyrics he may have heard from a rap song? =)

pantherluvcik
pantherluvcik 06/02/07 - 06:51 pm
Imus your post name shows how

Imus your post name shows how you tjink anyway, I am black and never been to Africa. And his race has nothing to do with my opinion. And saying they should not have let her linger on in that state has nothing to do with how they could charge this kid. I have compassion for all races. And yes he should have been fired for a direct insult to those young ladies that was unsolicited or provoked, even if it's in a rap song...

pantherluvcik
pantherluvcik 06/02/07 - 06:54 pm
And please don't pray for me

And please don't pray for me to"your god" I prefer the fair impartial god that everyone else worships. I'm glad you have your own personal one though, sounds like you need him.

LoveBlackAndWhite
LoveBlackAndWhite 06/02/07 - 07:04 pm
My God is fair and impartial!

My God is fair and impartial! Snoop-Dogg should be fired too? I love thinking outside the box. So, do you think this criminal could have done this because she was white? Or is there no chance in that? I heard a report that he tried to or did rape her too. I know my God would not like rape nor murder. =) I hope yours would not like it either. It's a joy to blog with you. I'm typing a doctoral paper while doing this. It is very entertaining. =)

LoveBlackAndWhite
LoveBlackAndWhite 06/02/07 - 07:05 pm
BTW why did you state you've

BTW why did you state you've never been to Africa? That went over my head.

pantherluvcik
pantherluvcik 06/02/07 - 07:13 pm
Because you called me African

Because you called me African American, just letting you know i'm an American born person of color. I figured it would. As i understood it he was paralyzed and in a wheelchair so he couldn't have raped her and what disabilities do you think he has. And I don't know if it was a hate crime, but their was no hate crime laws back then to apply.

pantherluvcik
pantherluvcik 06/02/07 - 07:16 pm
I'm betting you laughed when

I'm betting you laughed when he made that unsolicited outrageous comment to those young ladies.

kc2234
kc2234 06/02/07 - 07:37 pm
I believe if Ms. Hendrick

I believe if Ms. Hendrick could speak for herself concerning this matter she would say ''this young man has served his time''. By the way sending him back to prison cannot bring her back. YOU PEOPLE DON'T EVEN HAVE A CLUE!!

LoveBlackAndWhite
LoveBlackAndWhite 06/02/07 - 07:39 pm
No- you'd lose your bet on me

No- you'd lose your bet on me laughing. I did not laugh. I just wonder why there are double standards in relations to our first amendment rights. I got the Africa comment after I pondered a moment. Also, I thought that colored people like to be labeled African-American because of origin purposes. I'm not here to argue, I'm just here for justice for all. So you're stating that there is no chance that he could have sex with someone- being that he is in a wheelchair? I do not know. Like I said before, I hear stuff from third parties so I do not claim accuracy with a lot of my dialogue. I value my precious time to educate myself on things that will make me stronger, not on barbarians in our society stabbing other human beings with scissors. I just hear a lot of biases on these blogs and, since there are not a lot of people like me standing up, I feel as though I should post so that people will get a snapshot of what goes on in this community. I come about things from a sometime "different" perspective. Do you have evidence that the hate crimes were not applicable back during this time? =) God loves you!

LoveBlackAndWhite
LoveBlackAndWhite 06/02/07 - 07:42 pm
kc2234- Who do you mean by

kc2234- Who do you mean by YOU PEOPLE? What exactly does CLUE mean? Please be more specific so educated people can break down what you're saying. If we set precendents for 14 years to basically get away with murder, what would happen to our society? What if it was your child getting murdered?

pantherluv- What does your screen name represent?

LoveBlackAndWhite
LoveBlackAndWhite 06/02/07 - 07:45 pm
DISSAPPOINTED- Did Mr.

DISSAPPOINTED- Did Mr. Craig's daughter deliberately take a life? Do you think the criminal in this teacher-stabbing case deliberately stab, or was that an accident?

Sickness closes all McDuffie County schools

One day after closing an elementary because of excessive absences caused by an outbreak of illnesses, the McDuffie County School System has decided to enact an emergency closure of all seven of ...