Pre-K offers learning opportunities

This is in reference to the letter written on May 31 concerning prekindergarten ("Pre-K is little more than baby-sitting").

My first question to the author is, how many children does he have that have used the prekindergarten program? As a parent of two children that have attended a prekindergarten program, I can assure him that they were not just baby-sat. My children learned a great deal in prekindergarten, and one has consistently scored well above average on the CRCT, and that child is now in seventh grade (I believe that is well past the third-grade ceiling of pre-K benefit the letter writer mentioned). My other child is going to first grade and now reading on a high first-grade level.

Furthermore, I am a stay-at-home mom, so I do not need a baby-sitter, but the positives of the prekindergarten program far outweigh the negatives.

The Georgia prekindergarten program is free of charge for everybody, no matter who you are or what your income is. The children can go to a public school or to a private day care and attend the prekindergarten program. Oh, hasn't the writer heard? The Georgia prekindergarten program is lottery-funded.

Brigetta Story, Martinez

gaprekteacher
gaprekteacher 06/02/07 - 06:33 am
Your children did not succeed

Your children did not succeed because of GA prek. They succeeded because of the teachers after prek that had to do extra work to make your children at grade level. GA prek is a worthless program. The program does not allow any real teaching. If your child did learn anything, it is due to the fact that his/her GA prek did not follow the curriculum and did her own thing. I think that is being insubordinate.....Governor Perdue needs to either save his money and get rid of GA prek or revise it so kids can "openly" learn something valuable.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 06/02/07 - 08:18 am
Mrs. Story, to give your

Mrs. Story, to give your pre-k theory credence, you'd need to show where no children that started school in the first grade did any better then, or as well as, your pre-k educated children. Otherwise, I'm going to have to go with the babysitting theory.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 06/02/07 - 08:32 am
I have looked in on a few of

I have looked in on a few of these classes and the children are learing great things to help them in the following years, such as finger painting and macaroni art. Let us not forget nap-taking.

Jenn30907
Jenn30907 06/02/07 - 08:57 am
My first child went to a GA

My first child went to a GA funded pre-K program, my second child went to a private non-funded pre-K program. They both had the same Kindergarten teacher. She could see what I saw. My second child was far above what my first one was before entering 1st grade. Why? The private program was able to TEACH a strong curriculum and put my son ahead of those in the GA pre-K program.

luckie
luckie 06/02/07 - 09:35 am
I have taught pre-k and

I have taught pre-k and kindergarten. If you follow the curriculum it is all about socialization and learning to play and share. However, I was able to bring in many concepts with my pre-k's to prepare them for kindergarten through storytelling and music. My prek students knew how to write their name, knew shapes, colors, numbers and letters. This puts them at an advantage in K. This year one of my kindergarten students never went to pre-k. She was reading at the end of kindergarten and was one of the top math students. She was also the best behaved. Schools try to include Pre-k with the kindergarten classes but their scheduling is so far different. We no longer get daily pe because there are too many students with pre-k included. I need my 30 minutes when the students go to pe. For this reason, I say let pre-k go to the private sector.

johnsmith
johnsmith 06/02/07 - 10:54 am
If the lottery money goes to

If the lottery money goes to education, it should go to something that has value. Just because something is not paid for out of my taxes, does not mean that it has no costs. (Don't even get me started on the schools that have a perfectly good stadium, coupled with a 40+% dropout rate, and spend $Millions on a new football stadium) If you want to send your child to prek, that's fine--pay for it. I send my child to daycare and I pay for it; that's one of the costs that I knew that I would incur when I decided to have a child. You know, like formula, diapers, milk, medical care...oh, wait. That's right. _I_ am paying for that for a good number of people out there who did not choose to check their wallets before they "got busy". Never mind.