Suspicions confirmed

You won't hear much about it - because it doesn't reflect poorly on America - but a new report says passengers weren't crazy or discriminatory when they reported suspicious behavior by a group of Muslims on a 2004 flight.

An inspector general's report says air marshals had spotted suspicious behavior before the group of 13 even boarded Northwest Airlines Flight 327 from Detroit to Los Angeles.

And, in fact, several of the Muslims had records of either criminal or suspicious behavior, and one had been investigated in a similar incident in January that year. Eight of the other 12 had previously been probed for criminal or suspicious behavior.

The suspicious behavior on Flight 327 included appearing to count passengers; moving quickly toward the cockpit, before darting into a lavatory; suspiciously long and chronic lavatory stays; asking for seat belt extenders where none was necessary; keeping flight attendants busy with service requests; one man signaling a thumbs-up to another, who responded with a cutting motion across the throat as if to say "no"; they were overheard talking about Osama bin Laden and terrorism and condeming America for killing Saddam Hussein; air marshals and others noticed nervous behavior; and they repeatedly switched seats, after air marshals observed them in the terminal acting as if they didn't know each other.

"It was almost as if they were intentionally trying to get kicked off the flight," another passenger is quoted as having said.

A former air marshal said, "It appeared rehearsed, coordinated and planned. It was menacing activity."

Yet, the Council on American-Islamic Relations has tried to punish passengers on the plane for reporting the suspicious behavior, using the American judicial system as a weapon.

Meanwhile, they have the audacity to accuse frightened passengers of Islamophobia.

New York Congressman Peter King has introduced a bill that would protect passengers from harassing lawsuits for reporting suspicious behavior. It should pass, and quickly. And it should contain a guarantee that anyone who wants to leave a plane after observing suspicious behavior should be able to re-book a flight without penalty.

You're not crazy for wanting to reach your destination safely. And you shouldn't be sued for trying.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 06/02/07 - 06:25 am
the Council on

the Council on Islamic-American Relations (CAIR) is a group founded by Hamas and used to create as much havoc as possible in all relations with moderate Muslim. CAIR has great influence with the left in American politics. I wouldn't be surprised to see Rep. Kings bill fail because of his party affiliation. CAIR is that influential with the left. Money talks.

mgroothand
mgroothand 06/02/07 - 08:52 am
Let's not overlook MPAC

Let's not overlook MPAC (Muslim Public Affairs Council) Both CAIR and MPAC are dangerous groups that have only one mission which is to establish Muslim priorities throughout this country. Replacing Shari'a law with our Constitution is the ultimate goal. Imagine if a Christian or Jewish lobbying firm tried to operate in any Arab country such as Saudi Arabia. It would be a literal deathwish. No Quid pro quo here.

mgroothand
mgroothand 06/02/07 - 09:00 am
A similar incident happened

A similar incident happened last year at the Minneapolis airport when a group of Muslim clergy were boarding for a flight back to Arizona. They were escorted off the aircraft and are now trying to sue the airline and the passengers who became suspicious of their behavior. This is the same airport where Muslim taxi drivers refuse to pick up passengers who might be carrying sealed packages of alcoholic beverages or use working dogs such as seeing eye dogs.

johnsmith
johnsmith 06/02/07 - 10:21 am
If I were a Jewish cabbie,

If I were a Jewish cabbie, could I refuse to carry a passenger holding the Koran, because the most vocal leaders of his faith advocate killing me? As a Christian landlord, could I refuse to rent to an unmarried couple because they violate basic tenets of my faith? Of course not, because we don't truly oppose _discrimination_ in this country. We oppose discrimination against those groups who have managed to get themselves identified as minorities, victims, and the like. The ACLU keeps up its chant about "separation of church and state" to keep my hometown from putting out a Nativity scene, but is somehow able (thru the twisted logic of which only the left is capable) to justify muslim calls to prayer being broadcast citywide, muslim cabbies not picking up seeing-eye dogs (which no restaurant can refuse to allow in), muslim "clerics" demanding heavy straps with steel tabs on the end on airplanes... Why is it that the Bible-thumping nutjobs ranting about how God hates gays are correctly identified in the press as whackos, but the wild-eyed bomb-throwers holding a Koran are called "clerics" "insurgents" "youths"...

mgroothand
mgroothand 06/02/07 - 10:56 am
Tsk, tsk johnsmith you are

Tsk, tsk johnsmith you are trying to make logical examples comparing Muslims in America to other faithgroups. That's just proper PC and the ACLU, CAIR and MPAC are gunning for you. Oh, also, it is not the Koran any more (too Anglicized) it is now Qur'an. not

mgroothand
mgroothand 06/02/07 - 11:00 am
The "edit this comment" icon

The "edit this comment" icon is not working anymore. I meant to say That's just NOT proper PC. Instead the word "not" ended up at the end of my post???

johnsmith
johnsmith 06/02/07 - 11:02 am
Groot...groot... it's

Groot...groot... it's Q'uran. Careful, somebody could issue a "typo fatwah" on you!

mgroothand
mgroothand 06/02/07 - 11:05 am
Sorry John, my spelling of

Sorry John, my spelling of Qur'an came straight from the Koran, er..., I mean Qur'an.

johnsmith
johnsmith 06/02/07 - 11:29 am
Oh, man... _one_ of us is in

Oh, man... _one_ of us is in big trouble, for sure...I wonder when we find out what the mullahs' decision is...

3M3T1B
3M3T1B 06/02/07 - 03:17 pm
Retired Army - oooh, maaan,

Retired Army - oooh, maaan, you are really gonna catch it from the wacko's now, who as usual don't bother with facts, they just spout off like the beaten wanks that they are.

Rose
Rose 06/02/07 - 07:26 pm
I was on a flight and had a

I was on a flight and had a window seat. A middle eastern man tried to tell me I had his seat. His seat was the aisle seat next to me. He became rude because I would not give him my window seat. I felt a panic, but I remained calm and firm. He called the flight attendant, and talked her into finding him another seat, a window seat 3 rows up.I could tell he had no respect for women.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 06/02/07 - 08:12 pm
3M3T1B...I see your attempt

3M3T1B...I see your attempt to circumvent the obcenity policy was foiled on the Rants And Raves. Nice bit of childish name calling here too I see.

afadel
afadel 06/03/07 - 08:56 am
This editorial conflates two

This editorial conflates two different incidents. The government "report" to which the editorial refers is available at http://www.dhs.gov/xoig/assets/mgmtrpts/OIG_06-31_Mar06.pdf. It covers Northwest Flight 327 from Detroit to Los Angeles on June 29, 2004. The second incident occurred on a U.S. Airwways flight from Minneapolis to Arizon on November 20, 2006. CAIR is representing the passengers from the US Airways flight (http://www.cair.com/default.asp?Page=articleView&id=42770&theType=NB), but I found no mention of the Northwest flight on its website.

The Chronicle editorial makes it seem like it quotes from the "report", but I could only find the report's summary. The summary does not contain these quotes or the Chronicle's conclusions. Perhaps the Chronicle editors could specify where they got their information?

Grovetown escapees captured

Two inmates who escaped the Grovetown Department of Public Safety Detention Center late Friday are back in police custody, officials said.