Teen is found guilty of molesting girl, 5

A jury convicted a teenager Thursday of multiple charges in the molestation of a 5-year-old girl.

Ikeem Moore, 15, was found guilty at the conclusion of his three-day trial in Richmond County Superior Court. A sentencing date hasn't been set.

Although Mr. Moore had just turned 14 when the crime occurred, he faces the same punishment as an adult, a prison sentence that could be as long as the rest of his life. The minimum sentence is 25 years in prison without parole.

Mr. Moore was arrested in December 2005, when the victim first told her sister what had been happening after school, according to court testimony this week.

The child told her mother and grandmother, too, and later gave a child specialist a fuller account of the crimes.

Assistant District Attorney Rex Myers argued in closing Thursday that the little girl could not have given such a degree of detail about sexual activity unless she had experienced it.

Mr. Myers scoffed at the teenager's insistence during his testimony that he had never been alone with the girl or touched her in any manner.

Mr. Moore chose to experiment sexually with a 5-year-old girl, the prosecutor said.

Jean Colohan of the public defender's office argued to the jury that the account of molestation was planted in the girl's mind by a big sister who jumped to conclusions.

The preschooler described sexual penetration, but a physical examination proved the child had no physical injury or indication of abuse, Ms. Colohan said.

Reach Sandy Hodson at (706) 823-3226 or sandy.hodson@augustachronicle.com.

carlos21
carlos21 06/01/07 - 03:50 pm
This is to Kraziea I am sure

This is to Kraziea I am sure some people on this forum are Christians too, and yes praying and giving it over to GOD helps, but in this case it is up to the judicial system to help out and serve justice. That is why they are here and yes GOD maybe unhappy with all ofus but remember there is a reason this incident came to light. I do hope the little girl is telling the truth. But being a child molested at 9 yrs old by an uncle who did other things than just trying to penetrate, I had no superficial wounds. I was also at the same age molested by a long time family friend. So I HATE young or old pedophiles once one always one, there is NO helping or curing them. Yes I am bitter and have ALWAYS been very bitter and there has been no forgetting or forgivness. GOD understands. I also have been overly protective of my kids when they were young and will be of my grandchildren.

ohhsweetconcord
ohhsweetconcord 06/01/07 - 03:54 pm
Hmm...I'm not exactly sure

Hmm...I'm not exactly sure about this. This kind of reeks of false allegations. I read about a recent study that concluded that children cannot be trusted when it comes to giving testimony. They tend to invent stuff when probed, even coming up with very complex, intricate stories. Perhaps this is a case of jumping to conclusions?

onlytheparanoidsurvive
onlytheparanoidsurvive 06/01/07 - 05:18 pm
pedophelia

pedophelia

Casting_Fool
Casting_Fool 06/01/07 - 05:31 pm
Rose, there was no physical

Rose, there was no physical evidence according to the article. Nothing at all except for the story of the 5 yo girl. With so many cases of kids being coached into describing alleged sex acts, I am very surprised that the jury found him guilty.

lilmace
lilmace 06/01/07 - 05:39 pm
I have also worked in

I have also worked in corrections and recently retired while working at Georgia State Prison. Misswest is so right. What inmates will do to one so young is sick, but if the inmates refuse to report the abuse, there is nothing no one can do. Let's all be sure he is truly guilty before he is incarcerated. Once he has been "someone's girlfriend" he will never recover. We do not know what really happened and the jury may have reacted to all of the child molesting being reported today. Know who your neighbors are.

TommyBoy
TommyBoy 06/01/07 - 06:11 pm
Chalk another one up for the

Chalk another one up for the good guys. PD's office probably told the boy to "roll the dice" and that a jury would never convict him. Oh well.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 06/01/07 - 06:29 pm
misswest the reason Kraziea

misswest the reason Kraziea needs prayer is because of the statement that if the 5 yearl old CHILD was lying that god will punisher her in a way she will never forget. That was pathetic in my book. A 5 year old does not create a lie of this magnatude without coaxing, negligence in what the child sees examples of or other reasons. It was not malicious intent im sure on the part of a 5 year old.. A 5 year old does not even understand the consequences of the lie if it was. And if it was a lie I'm terribly sorry for the young man, but thats no reason for krazi to say what he said. He says we are unchristian for being mad at what the boy did... but he makes a statement like that about a small child. Krazi does need prayer!!

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 06/01/07 - 06:39 pm
Also I have no idea who is

Also I have no idea who is telling the truth , bu I should remind you guys there are a number of little girls who have had their hymen broke due to falls or other accidents at a young age. And penetration does not have to show signs of damage. It could be a slight finger, rubbing or general fondeling. I don't know which one is lieing, but the exam does not mean it did not happen. And a 15 year old should know better. These are extremely difficult cases for everyone involved and we as the public do not know al the facts. Lets just put our faith in the justice system and pray that given all the facts in the case, the best decision was made. there is a 50/50 shot the boy didn't do it. But either from the incident or if she was coaxed to lie, either way this innocent little girl will probably be affected by it for a long long time! I know of a mom who coaxed a child into making false claims about her dad and he went to prison and lost everything because of the witch. He is now free and trying to recover, but the little girl never has yet for what her mom made her do and its been about a decade!!!

t of i
t of i 06/01/07 - 07:30 pm
Yall seem to think a jury of

Yall seem to think a jury of your peers is inept. I've served on a jury in a criminal matter before. We voted to let a known offender and a person we were certain was guilty of the crime he was charged with be found innocent. Why, because the prosecution did not prove its case according to the law. The judge we had met with us after the verdict and assured us that we had decided the case according to the law. He knew we were not happy about the decision we had to make. We, on this site, do not know what the jury heard. Something made them convict this person, penetration or not. I wanat to think that this jury was as conscientious as ours was.

t of i
t of i 06/01/07 - 07:31 pm
want

want

owensjef
owensjef 06/01/07 - 08:19 pm
40 comments on IKEEM , 12 on

40 comments on IKEEM , 12 on serial robber. both are bad folks. Whats the difference. IKEEM hm wonder what he looks like.

Rose
Rose 06/01/07 - 08:58 pm
t of i, I agree with you. We

t of i, I agree with you. We don't know what went on in that jury room.Another thing. Children might lie sometimes, but they are a lot more truthful than most adults.

nofrills
nofrills 06/01/07 - 09:11 pm
a physical examination proved

a physical examination proved the child had no physical injury or indication of abuse, plus penetrating a 5 year old girl should have left some evidence on her body. I am a father and would be the first one to give him life in prison but you got to prove it first.

t of i
t of i 06/01/07 - 09:23 pm
Nofrills, you need to speak

Nofrills, you need to speak to the jury members. They must have heard something that convinced them to convict despite the no penetration. I have to have faith in "a jury of our peers." I also need to remind you that the prosecution needs to prove the case"beyond a reasonable doubt." When you are sitting on a jury, you take that very seriously.

t of i
t of i 06/01/07 - 09:34 pm
owensjef, are you the one

owensjef, are you the one always accusing people of being racists? I wish more people would weigh in on the ambulance chasing rich white lawyer who endangered alot of people flying all over Europe when he knew he had tb even though he didn't know until he got to one of his destinations that he had a drug-resistant form of tb .Racism has so little to do with the posts that I read and yet I continue to read stupid claims of racism. In two weeks or reading your posts. I'm totally sick of the racism claim.

owensjef
owensjef 06/01/07 - 09:47 pm
It is what it is Tof I

It is what it is Tof I

t of i
t of i 06/01/07 - 09:52 pm
owensjef, what is what it is?

owensjef, what is what it is? I don't understand your comment.

t of i
t of i 06/01/07 - 09:53 pm
are you doing the Clinton is

are you doing the Clinton is thing?

DefaultChoice
DefaultChoice 06/01/07 - 09:55 pm
Exactly how much physical

Exactly how much physical evidence do you think they're going to exploit about a 5 year old being molested? A 3 day trial with a jury (selected by the court) found him guilty on charges of child molestation. To say they found him guilty with lack of evidence, physical or not would be bias. Or is it you just want to read the nasty details?

PFLY775
PFLY775 06/01/07 - 10:27 pm
Would any of your leave your

Would any of your leave your child alone with this teenager?

KeriGrayce
KeriGrayce 06/02/07 - 05:30 pm
Sounds to me like older

Sounds to me like older sister might have liked the guy, but the guy rejected her, so the older sister sought revenge. Her sister, being a tool in the process of the revenge. But, that is just a theory..

-Keri

jessysxfuzzyxspider
jessysxfuzzyxspider 06/02/07 - 05:33 pm
Jean Colohan of the public

I strongly agree with Keri. I mean there is no evidence of penetration, and a little sister looks up to a big sister and would do anything for her.

Casting_Fool
Casting_Fool 06/02/07 - 07:11 pm
Rose wrote "Children might

Rose wrote "Children might lie sometimes, but they are a lot more truthful than most adults." ....... I've been a youth worker in the past, a former security manager for a popular department store, and a parent for about 20 years. In my experience, kids are not generally more truthful than adults. I once had a 12 yo girl caught shoplifting in the store where I was security manger. It was the employee's testimony against the girl's, and the girl put on quite an act. All the way to tears and wetting herself. By the time the police got there, she was almost hysterical... until the juvenile officer walked in and asked her "What are YOU doing here?" She was a repeat offender, with great acting skills. I personally believe that small children will say or do almost anything for someone if the incentive is great enough.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 06/03/07 - 12:09 am
True...we don't know what the

True...we don't know what the jury heard.....O.J. was aquitted after all.

stumpjumper
stumpjumper 06/04/07 - 06:13 am
Krazica, you speak with

Krazica, you speak with forked tongue. Your comment about this "Dirty South", literally sux. It's no worse than up north or anywhere else. If you don't like it, take your fat [filtered word] back up north where yankee agression started all this crap in 1841. I do agree with part of your religious statements, but you are not a true christian, your are a selfrichous most holy than thou hipocritical yankee no doubt. Go back north.

TruthJusticeFaithHope
TruthJusticeFaithHope 06/04/07 - 08:42 am
With all due respect... many

With all due respect... many of the comments here seem to be made with such hatred and judgement. There is seldom physical evidence in child sexual abuse cases. That is why they are so difficult to prosecute. And, without hearing all of the testimony, and seeing all of the evidence, I believe for anyone to conclude much of anything from what was printed in that article is preposterous. Most of you who have posted items seem to care. Do yourselves a favor, become experts in the facts of child abuse, and go out there and convince people that all adults are responsible for the protection of all children. Sadly, we have expected children to protect themselves with programs like: "Good Touch, Bad Touch." Foster homes are the site of much child on child sexual abuse, but child on child assaults are seldom even reported. Stand up and speak up for children. It is righteous !

Kettle donations rise in 2014