Teen is found guilty of molesting girl, 5

A jury convicted a teenager Thursday of multiple charges in the molestation of a 5-year-old girl.

Ikeem Moore, 15, was found guilty at the conclusion of his three-day trial in Richmond County Superior Court. A sentencing date hasn't been set.

Although Mr. Moore had just turned 14 when the crime occurred, he faces the same punishment as an adult, a prison sentence that could be as long as the rest of his life. The minimum sentence is 25 years in prison without parole.

Mr. Moore was arrested in December 2005, when the victim first told her sister what had been happening after school, according to court testimony this week.

The child told her mother and grandmother, too, and later gave a child specialist a fuller account of the crimes.

Assistant District Attorney Rex Myers argued in closing Thursday that the little girl could not have given such a degree of detail about sexual activity unless she had experienced it.

Mr. Myers scoffed at the teenager's insistence during his testimony that he had never been alone with the girl or touched her in any manner.

Mr. Moore chose to experiment sexually with a 5-year-old girl, the prosecutor said.

Reach Sandy Hodson at (706) 823-3226 or sandy.hodson@augustachronicle.com.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 06/01/07 - 06:18 am
Molestation is a never ending

Molestation is a never ending road. If this boy is allowed around children again, ever, he will molest again. This pattern never ends.

alias1
alias1 06/01/07 - 07:32 am
this is unbelievable, the

this is unbelievable, the things teens and young adults do these days. gangs, molestation, rape, what is this world coming to? why do people do this kind of thing????

takecharge2
takecharge2 06/01/07 - 07:58 am
Teenagers, as well as adults,

Teenagers, as well as adults, would think twice if our legal system would get tough. I know it costs a lot of money to build jails, so put them in tents. I get sick and tired of hearing about all these criminals getting a slap on the hand and last, plea bargaining is a joke. Make the punishment fit the crime!

TEDDY1
TEDDY1 06/01/07 - 07:59 am
5 yrs old...come on...there

5 yrs old...come on...there are teachers out there that would have given him some. not a 5 yr old. what a sick o

Casting_Fool
Casting_Fool 06/01/07 - 08:48 am
I'm saddened and a bit

I'm saddened and a bit surprised by the responses here to this article.

"Jean Colohan of the public defender's office argued to the jury that the account of molestation was planted in the girl's mind by a big sister who jumped to conclusions.

The preschooler described sexual penetration, but a physical examination proved the child had no physical injury or indication of abuse, Ms. Colohan said."

There's room for doubt that the young man did what he was accused of. A 15 yo man penetrating a 5 yo girl should have left some evidence on her body.

There have been many documented cases of adults convincing young children that they have gone through some sort of abuse when the alleged abuse never occurred.

I'm not saying that the young man in question is innocent, but that they'd better be very sure that he is guilty before they sentence him to prison for the alleged crime.

Edward1968
Edward1968 06/01/07 - 08:50 am
We need to put people like

We need to put people like this out of our misery! That sheriff in Arizona with his tent city jail has a good way to solve the overcrowding in the jails. Put this scum away!!

luckie
luckie 06/01/07 - 08:53 am
How is this boy alone with

How is this boy alone with such a small child? Where are her parents? Teenagers testosterone kicks in at this age and parents should know this and should keep their little girls in a safe environment. I have seen teenage girls hanging out on corners with their little siblings. Not very smart or responsible if you ak me. All she has to do is ask someone to watch her as she is taking care of her own hormones.

angelndisguise
angelndisguise 06/01/07 - 09:29 am
You know what I have noticed

You know what I have noticed about people in America mainly in this "Dirty South" people here really dont have a heart and are really no christ like at all. How many of you that said something bad call yourself christian. I have a little news flash your not. A real christian person would not have said the things you all have said. Its really sad to know how people think and this is the reason God and Jesus are very upset with America. We have no heart. Didnt any one ever teach you that if that boy really did those things to that girl and he doesnt repent from the heart that what God will do will be greater than any justice system we have. Everyone saying he doesnt have remorse or he will do it again. I see here you who sad that dont believe God can deliver someone from such a demon. I suggest everyone get in a real church now and go for your own good cause u never know what is in store for you or your family member. I just pray this little boy pray and ask for forgiveness and the little girl i pray she is telling the truth cause if not God will to deal with her in such a manner she wont forget. God bless everyone and lets help the community and pray instead of bashing them.

Does_it_really_matter
Does_it_really_matter 06/01/07 - 10:18 am
While your in church praying,

While your in church praying, kraziea, I'll be watching over my kids and keeping them out of harms way. Even in the Bible there are stories after stories of sexual perversion, murder and all sorts of awful things. God punished them. Yes, God will judge again....but until that time comes, there are jails and capital punishment. God does judge, but he also provides us with wisdom and free-will. I'll forgive people....but I will use my God given wisdom to lock them up. Give perps all kinds of time for repentance.

misscj0123
misscj0123 06/01/07 - 10:34 am
It sickens me deeply to know

It sickens me deeply to know the horrible things people do to others. No matter how much I read about or see on the news, I continue to be shocked and sickened at the outrageous crimes committed, and by people of all ages.

WAG
WAG 06/01/07 - 10:46 am
What exactly are you praying

What exactly are you praying for? They do not change. If they do it once they should be locked away forever..Don't give them a chance to do it again....

wise
wise 06/01/07 - 11:14 am
Casting Fool A girl of 5

Casting Fool A girl of 5 should have NO knowledge of that type of actvity to just make it up. By doubting the 5yr old your making her out to be the victim twice.

MyOpinion1
MyOpinion1 06/01/07 - 11:27 am
I want to know where were the

I want to know where were the parents of the little boy when he was doing this to that little girl? Come on now 5 years old! And where were her parents? Come on parents you have to watch out for your children. If you don't then who will.

happythoughts
happythoughts 06/01/07 - 11:54 am
Responsible parents know

Responsible parents know where their little girl is at all times and in whos company they are with. Some little girls are in the care of irresponsible adults who are not to be trusted. There has to be someone else at fault here too for neglecting this little one.

PFLY775
PFLY775 06/01/07 - 11:56 am
Penetration or not, her trust

Penetration or not, her trust in anyone male is gone forever. They need to check the young man's computer. Bet he was looking at all kinds of trash. There are far too many instances of this happening nowadays. Don't parents teach their sons (and some daughters) anything? Also, I would never, ever leave my 5 yr old with any teenager. A 14 yr old just does not have the maturity level to watch a little child. Never leave your little girl or boy with anyone!!! Protect them from sick minds. Take a look at the sex offender registry online. You may be surprised.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 06/01/07 - 12:04 pm
the little girl i pray she is

the little girl i pray she is telling the truth cause if not God will to deal with her in such a manner she wont forget. KRAZ SHE IS 5.. WHY WOULD YOU SAY SUCH A THING... IF SHE IS LYING MAYBE SHE WAS COAXED... THAT STATEMENT WASN'T CHRISTIAN EITHER.. YOU GO BACK TO CHURCH.. HYPOCRITE

misscj0123
misscj0123 06/01/07 - 12:15 pm
Kraz...you are the one who

Kraz...you are the one who needs prayer. A court requires a physical examination of rape victims to make sure they were raped/penetrated. I seriously doubt the little 5 year old was lying. I know the bible says God forgives those who sin if they ask, but please don't shove that down our throats because we are sickened by what happened to the little girl. If you commit the crime, you should do the time. Personally, I think some penalties for some crimes are not harsh enough.

wise
wise 06/01/07 - 12:58 pm
You cant blame the little

You cant blame the little girl or the boys parents. You do not know the situation. He could have been a family member or a friend of a family member. Him being a child him self would give some parents a reason to trust but really you do not need to leave a child who may be at the age were they are curious about sex alone with your toddler girl.

ForHim
ForHim 06/01/07 - 01:01 pm
I would be the first person

I would be the first person to say "hang 'em" if he is guilty, but there are way to many "ifs" here to draw to a conclusion. He may have done it ... he may not have done it. I will save my opinion until he has his day in court. The fact that there was no physical signs of rape or abuse caught my eye. If this child described sexual penetration and said that she experienced it, there would absolutely be physical evidence of it. It appears more likely that she was possibly molested in other ways. Anyway, there is not enough information in the article for me to form an opinion.

ForHim
ForHim 06/01/07 - 01:03 pm
My bad ... I went back and

My bad ... I went back and read again. I thought that he was BEING tried. But the courts have found him guilty. What a shame. Hang 'em.

rjay
rjay 06/01/07 - 01:05 pm
I feel sorry for the boy and

I feel sorry for the boy and for the little girl. But nobody has an idea what the boy saw at home as far as parents doing what in front of him?, movies they have at home, any other children and what he saw them doing or he is just really sick.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 06/01/07 - 02:15 pm
rjay, I'm sure you have it

rjay, I'm sure you have it right. In the mean time though, protect society from what he has become.

SilentJ
SilentJ 06/01/07 - 03:11 pm
Krazies how do you know jesus

Krazies how do you know jesus and god are unpset with america?

Does_it_really_matter
Does_it_really_matter 06/01/07 - 03:22 pm
Kraziea your name says it

Kraziea your name says it all!

truthBtold
truthBtold 06/01/07 - 03:25 pm
i am in the field of

i am in the field of corrections and have been in law enforcement for 9 years prior. because of this fact i can honestly say that i feel sorry for each one involved from the little girl to her sister on up to the grandmother. i hope and pray that this is not a lie because society has already found the young man guilty. what he is going to experience once he gets into the system is not something that can ever be replaced in life. no amount of money or heart fealt apology can replace what he will lose in the first days of incarceration. so all i hope for is that the truth come out before the guns. if he did do this, god help him.

truthBtold
truthBtold 06/01/07 - 03:39 pm
...i dont know who is telling

...i dont know who is telling the truth, thats why i did not go so far as saying what should be done to those involved, but i will ask misscj why is it that kraz needs prayer when the story clearly states that a physical examination was completed and that there was no evidence of injury. read what is printed, wait for the facts and then think of all the players. a detailed story was given and found to be untrue. it is quite possable that it was a story told to her. she has an older sister who was told some time before the mother and grandmother were ever told...is that a true statement. if so, why did she not tell the elders. we dont know and until you have seen what can and will happen to those accused of sex crimes in prison or in youth detention centers i guess you will never understand. all i ask is that the truth be told or there will be a vast number of victims here and no one will ever heal....

Casting_Fool
Casting_Fool 06/01/07 - 03:42 pm
You would be surprised what a

You would be surprised what a coached 5 yo can "recall". I'm not making the girl out to be a victim twice, I'm saying that they'd better be very, very sure that the boy did the crime before they ruin his life by incarcerating him as misswest75 has said. How many people have been released lately that were convicted of a sex crime only to have DNA evidence prove that they did not do the crime? I just can't believe that most of the comments here crucify this young man without actually knowing what happened. Were any of you there at the scene when the supposed crime happened?

onehotdog
onehotdog 06/01/07 - 04:21 pm
What length of time passed

What length of time passed between the incident occuring and the examination being done?

misscj0123
misscj0123 06/01/07 - 04:28 pm
Misswest...if my comment was

Misswest...if my comment was out of line, then I apologize. Maybe I was wrong. It's just that I have read so much on the papers and seen so much in the news about children disappearing, being raped, and murdered until I tend to react...maybe over-react when people try to suggest they are lying about what happened to them. I feel like childfen do not have enough protection, guidance, etc. If I took that wrong, then once again I apologize. I do not want someone to be falsely accused of something they did not do either. That is a horrible thing to happen to someone, to anyone, especially someone so young who has not yet had an opportunity to live their lives free and happy.

Rose
Rose 06/01/07 - 04:32 pm
There was a 3 day trial. We

There was a 3 day trial. We don't know all the details of the trial. That is what a jury is for. They found him guilty based on all the evidence.

Raises vary widely for GRU administrators

While there has been an overall 6 percent increase in administrative pay at Georgia Regents University since it was created by consolidation, raises and promotions have caused vastly different ...