A lawsuit on wheels

We're constantly amazed at the skill and adventurousness of kids. But for the life of us, we can't believe the lawyers ever let children's shoe manufacturers put wheels in the heels to turn ordinary shoes into skates.

It's an inspired marketing idea, certainly. And if you've ever seen young kids - and we do mean young - suddenly break into a skate in those shoes, you know how cool it can be.

But an increasing number of stores and other public establishments are banning the things - or at least the skating. Part of it is a concern for the kids themselves, and for other patrons they might run into. Watchdog groups report increases in concussions and fractures as use of the skate shoes increases.

But part of it, too, has to be a fear of lawsuits.

Again, we're amazed the shoes' design ever got past the legal department to begin with, but it's also a sad statement that business owners have to be afraid for their own wallets because of the free and voluntary application of the shoes, called "heelys."

If these things are going to stick around, maybe we need laws expressly protecting business owners from liability. It should be a matter of mere common sense - though it's probably not - that if a parent allows a kid to wear such a thing, and he or she gets hurt, that it's certainly not a store owner's fault!

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 05/29/07 - 06:14 am
I'LL SUE! It's the American

I'LL SUE! It's the American way.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 05/29/07 - 10:06 am
I think I'll buy some for my

I think I'll buy some for my kid.....then if he gets hurt, it certianly won't be the fault of me or my child. It's the manufacturer. There's no way I could have know there was any risk. "Vive La No Responsibility!"

johnsmith
johnsmith 05/29/07 - 10:24 am
You know, I'm not too

You know, I'm not too concerned about the skates. I will say, though, that Augusta is the only city in which I've lived that allows children to drive golf carts, go-karts and motorized scooters on the road. This is ridiculous, and I can't imagine who thinks it is a good idea to have a small child in dark clothes on a small vehicle with no lights at twilight, in a neighborhood where the speed limit is _also_ not enforced. This is one of those situations that goes on for years until the odds catch up with us, at which point some devastated parent is on the news asking why his child had to die. God never told anybody to be stupid, folks--get them off the road.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 05/29/07 - 10:33 am
You are right, johnsmith, and

You are right, johnsmith, and it is against the law to drive a non licensed vehicle with a non liscened driver on public streets.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 05/29/07 - 12:26 pm
Scoob....unfortunatly if it's

Scoob....unfortunatly if it's <2 HP and <50 cc's, it's not considered a licensable vehicle, and CAN be driven on public streets. That would keep most golf carts off, but a host of scooters are fair game.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 05/29/07 - 03:39 pm
Then the law needs to be

Then the law needs to be revisited

_kpc_
_kpc_ 05/29/07 - 03:45 pm
I agree. But that's why a

I agree. But that's why a 49cc moped is commonly referred to as a liquercycle. That's what people drive when they have to many DUI's to have a license.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 05/29/07 - 03:56 pm
I know some that drive lawn

I know some that drive lawn mowers