Women charged with burglary at home site

A surveillance camera video and a chance sighting landed two Columbia County elementary school paraprofessionals in jail Tuesday on a charge of burglary.

Back | Next
Susan Elizabeth Kelly is charged with burglarizing a house under construction.  Special
Special
Susan Elizabeth Kelly is charged with burglarizing a house under construction.

The two, who assist at Stevens Creek Elementary - Sarah O'Neal Wint, 48, of the 800 block of Brookfield Parkway, Martinez, and Susan Elizabeth Kelly, 36, of the 500 block of Edgecliff Lane, Evans - were charged in the burglary of a house under construction at 911 Bartram Ridge Road.

The two women, who were released on a $10,000 bond each, also are employees of Bullseye Marketing, a division of The Augusta Chronicle.

Columbia County builder Paul Meyer said he helped police make the arrest.

He said he previously had caught the two on surveillance video breaking into one of his homes under construction, taking a kitchen sink spray hose.

Mr. Meyer said he couldn't identify the women on the tape at first, but as he left his Bartram Trail subdivision Tuesday he said he noticed the same women trying to break into another builder's home that was under construction.

"It's an unbelievable story," Mr. Meyer said. He then called the Columbia County Sheriff's Office and followed the women as they drove to a nearby Subway.

"They went over to the Subway to get a cookie and a soda; I guess to get some energy ... and I sat there and waited on them," Mr. Meyer said.

"They come out with their cookies and their sodas and there's a cruiser and two motorcycle cops sitting there," he said.

Columbia County sheriff's Capt. Steve Morris said authorities are investigating whether the women have been involved in other similar burglaries.

Tommy Price, the Columbia County school superintendent, said the paraprofessionals' future employment status with the school system depends on the outcome of the police investigation.

Mr. Price said school officials will continue to look into the matter to determine how they can assist the sheriff's office in its investigation.

Staff Writer Betsy Gilliland contributed to this article.

Reach Preston Sparks at (706) 868-1222, ext. 115 or preston.sparks@augustachronicle.com.

ListenAndLearn
ListenAndLearn 05/24/07 - 05:05 am
Yeah, we want these people

Yeah, we want these people around our children, NOT! If these two women have children, wonder what a proud moment this is for them?

nofrills
nofrills 05/24/07 - 05:14 am
The only thing that bothers

The only thing that bothers me about this story is Why would two woman who have decent jobs break in and steal a kitchen sink sprayhose? Doesnt make sense. There is much more to this story we are not being told.

kudzo-n-roses
kudzo-n-roses 05/24/07 - 06:11 am
Now this is really

Now this is really weird....what were they thinking of???? Your right nofrills got to be more to this tale.

nowinna
nowinna 05/24/07 - 07:23 am
boy,sure glad they didn't

boy,sure glad they didn't steal any toilet paper!there must be more to the story than they are telling

Goaliemom1987
Goaliemom1987 05/24/07 - 07:30 am
I agree nofrills why steal a

I agree nofrills why steal a kitchen sink hose when you can buy one for a few dollars...Something else is going on! I don't think we have heard the end of this story.

cricketflea
cricketflea 05/24/07 - 08:49 am
These are what you would call

These are what you would call CLEPTOMANIACS. People who steal just for the joy and the thrill of it.

marien
marien 05/24/07 - 08:51 am
I agree the plot to this

I agree the plot to this story will thicken. kk you are right who would want these two around their children.

Does_it_really_matter
Does_it_really_matter 05/24/07 - 09:05 am
Soo...they drive around,

Soo...they drive around, delivering stuff for Bullseye marketing and case these places...to come back later after school to rip them off. Man...they could have spent that time doing something legitimate.

KingJames
KingJames 05/24/07 - 09:34 am
That's just dumb!

That's just dumb!

my2sense
my2sense 05/24/07 - 10:10 am
These are two of the dumbest

These are two of the dumbest women I have ever seen. These 2 partners in crime are dangerous in the day time because they are around children and then go around at nite lurking in neighborhoods for items to steal (including the kitchen sink).

augusta49
augusta49 05/24/07 - 10:46 am
I've sat and read all of

I've sat and read all of these messages, but none are considering innocent until proven guilty. I know these ladies, and they have assisted with my own children and plenty of my friend's children. Right now, I would still have them do the same, because they are some of the few that treat our children with patience and love. I always want to give people the benefit of the doubt. I just don't want to bask in someone else's problems and treat them as if they are the worst people on the face of the earth. Instead of the negative comments, why not think of how we can just be here for them. Instead of using our energy being negative, use that energy in saying a prayer.

peppernik
peppernik 05/24/07 - 11:19 am
Hey tandgmom, I'll say a

Hey tandgmom, I'll say a prayer that your children haven't been affected

GSneed
GSneed 05/24/07 - 11:32 am
Aside from appliances and

Aside from appliances and light fixtures, what else can you steal from a newly constructed home? I've heard of folks stealing windows and water heaters...but a kitchen sink spray hose?! Truely, they are idiots.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 05/24/07 - 11:45 am
tandgmom.. fill us in as soon

tandgmom.. fill us in as soon as you know what happened then. I'd love to read their response to the officers in the police report! lol

ListenAndLearn
ListenAndLearn 05/24/07 - 11:45 am
amen peppernik...my

amen peppernik...my sentiments exactly....perhaps their friend will pay for an atty to prove they are innocent...give them the benefit of the doubt. i "doubt" very seriously that a spray nozzle is all they stole...please!!!

ListenAndLearn
ListenAndLearn 05/24/07 - 11:49 am
tandgmom....why aren't you

tandgmom....why aren't you reading the bible instead of the paper? because you were "curious"? hmmmmmm!!!!!

ListenAndLearn
ListenAndLearn 05/24/07 - 11:50 am
ps...isn't it wrong for you

ps...isn't it wrong for you to judge anyone else judging? lol

misscj0123
misscj0123 05/24/07 - 02:23 pm
Uhhhh...maybe they needed

Uhhhh...maybe they needed some summer money since school will be out?

jmoval0315
jmoval0315 05/24/07 - 03:04 pm
Two of Columbia County's

Two of Columbia County's finest. lol

jmoval0315
jmoval0315 05/24/07 - 03:05 pm
They might get deported to

They might get deported to Richmond County.

ListenAndLearn
ListenAndLearn 05/24/07 - 03:54 pm
as long as they go away from

as long as they go away from columbia county and our schools....where they go doesn't matter. we all know where they'll end up.....

t of i
t of i 05/24/07 - 06:02 pm
Taking a sink sprayer--maybe

Taking a sink sprayer--maybe they were on a scavenger hunt. Remember those?

girlfriend1
girlfriend1 05/24/07 - 06:36 pm
I simply can't believe that

I simply can't believe that someone that is both mother and teacher could let herself get so low as to resort to stealing a sink sprayer! How immoral!! It really IS SO VERY SAD that these women are some one's role model. Did they not think that what comes around goes around! Glad the builder had a brain cell and used a camera. But the saddest of all, is their kids... how embarassing for them and their families. I just hope this a wake up call for these thiefs!!

t of i
t of i 05/24/07 - 08:28 pm
Where is the parenting,

Where is the parenting, theirs and theirs?

BLAINESR30909
BLAINESR30909 05/25/07 - 06:12 am
how about all the other

how about all the other teachers who were buying the stuff from them. they are just as wrong

Nothing else to say
Nothing else to say 05/25/07 - 08:01 am
Maybe Columbia County needs

Maybe Columbia County needs to pay their aides more $$$.

MyOpinion2
MyOpinion2 05/25/07 - 08:21 am
Girlfriend I couldn't have

Girlfriend I couldn't have said it better myself. When they, their family and friends see these posts, they will probable want to move far far away from Columbia and Augusta. They need not move to Augusta because our city has plenty enough criminals of its own.

GIRLFRIEND
GIRLFRIEND 05/25/07 - 11:38 am
wonder what they bought with

wonder what they bought with all that money they made? hope it was worth it!! hope they made enough to go get some counseling!!

whatever1
whatever1 05/25/07 - 12:20 pm
someone stole the central

someone stole the central unit from a new home in my neighborhood recently.

SaveForeignLanguage
SaveForeignLanguage 05/25/07 - 01:09 pm
How easy it is to judge! I'm

How easy it is to judge! I'm sure everyone has done or said something that they deeply regret. Wouldn't you want support and a kind word during this difficult time? All of you "Christians" out there should practice what you preach. How about a prayer for these women and their families instead of gossip. What kind of role model are you?

City Ink: New board means more work for me

First Mayor-elect Hardie Davis will be sworn in, and the very next day the work will begin. Commissioners will meet and the gavel will fall. It will be a brand new day at City Hall.