Fishermen dodge two of three bullets fired at boat

GREENSBORO, Ga. - Two men competing in a bass tournament Saturday on the Oconee River got a rude surprise when a man on the bank shot one of them, apparently trying to warn them away from his own lines, according to Greene County Sheriff Chris Houston.

The men had headed upriver from Lake Oconee about noon when they noticed a fishing camp on the bank and saw an elderly man wearing overalls standing at the riverside.

The elderly Madison man raised a rifle and fired two shots, which hit the water in front of the boat, the men told a Greene County sheriff's deputy. The man fired a third shot, which hit one of the men in the boat - identified as Craig Barnett of Sycamore - under his left arm, according to a sheriff's department report.

After the shots rang out, the men sped away and headed toward an area known as Dyar's Pasture, where they found cell phone service and could call 911.

Mr. Barnett "showed me a dime-sized hole under his left arm and handed me a small-caliber bullet that he stated came out of the hole," a sheriff's deputy wrote in a report.

Mr. Barnett's wound wasn't life-threatening, authorities said.

The .22-caliber bullet was taken into evidence.

Sheriff Houston said the shore fisherman - identified as John Burke Yearwood, 86, of Madison - has put out fishing lines in the area for decades.

Investigators found Mr. Yearwood at his home. Before he was arrested, Mr. Yearwood told investigators he had a rifle and had been at the river camp Saturday, according to the report.

Mr. Yearwood was booked into the Greene County Jail on an aggravated assault charge.

The state Department of Natural Resources helped with the investigation.

iletuknow
iletuknow 05/24/07 - 06:00 am
Deliverance fictional?

Deliverance fictional?

nofrills
nofrills 05/24/07 - 06:08 am
Over a fish?

Over a fish?

southern2
southern2 05/24/07 - 06:21 am
I've experienced some rude

I've experienced some rude bass fishermen at Clark Hill. Some of them will cast right on top of you. I know how upsetting this can be. Bet no one will try to fish in this guys spot again.

justputtin
justputtin 05/24/07 - 07:05 am
Wow, southern2, sheer

Wow, southern2, sheer brilliance. Guess they were taught a good lesson, huh?

kudzo-n-roses
kudzo-n-roses 05/24/07 - 07:14 am
"He was just trying to warn

"He was just trying to warn (them) away from the fishing lines," Sheriff Houston said Tuesday..........you gotta be kidding me!!! What if he had killed one of them??

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 05/24/07 - 07:36 am
I feel Mr Yearwood was wrong

I feel Mr Yearwood was wrong but in southern2's defense I have encountered some very rude and inconsiderate bass fisherman on the lake and rivers at times.

WorriedAboutOurFuture
WorriedAboutOurFuture 05/24/07 - 07:53 am
Well Georgia law allows you

Well Georgia law allows you to defend your property with lethal force. Guess after many decades this old fart thought it was his property.

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 05/24/07 - 08:14 am
What he had killed one of

What he had killed one of them at 86 I should be in JAIL, and Rot in Jail.

WorriedAboutOurFuture
WorriedAboutOurFuture 05/24/07 - 08:28 am
I agree, JACK, you should be

I agree, JACK, you should be in jail, rotting. (tee hee)

letsee
letsee 05/24/07 - 08:39 am
Maybe the man was concerned

Maybe the man was concerned not about the fish, but maybe about the other guys boat getting tangled in the fishing line. When people put out a trout line it is usually made out of twine. This could do some damage to a boat motor. I don't agree with him shooting at them but at 86 his aim can't be that good.

thugskin
thugskin 05/24/07 - 08:54 am
He should be charged with

He should be charged with attempted murder. The next time someone parks their car in front of my house I guess I'll just let out some warning shots. "Hey mister thats my spot.....get outta here" Bang bang.

thugskin
thugskin 05/24/07 - 08:57 am
Maybe he should have sent a

Maybe he should have sent a torpedo.

CSRAresident
CSRAresident 05/24/07 - 09:03 am
Aggrevated assault my butt

Aggrevated assault my butt How about attempted murder. Open and shut case all the way. Don't care if he is 8 or 86, he tried to kill a person.

Daddyrabbit
Daddyrabbit 05/24/07 - 09:15 am
A lot of the bass fishermen

A lot of the bass fishermen in these tounaments completely disregard everyone else. Not just with fishing lines, but with lack of boating safety AND disregard for everyone else! All they see is the dollar sign and can't wait to get to the big money spot! He should not have fired at them, but, people have a lot of stress these days and if this was a regular occurence then maybe he just reached his breaking point.

thugskin
thugskin 05/24/07 - 09:22 am
Thats it! In order to address

Thats it! In order to address Augustas Bass fisherman madman
We should allow residents to purchase specially designed torpedos. So the next time that you see one of these cavemen
peeing in our rivers dive and fire.

The next group on the list is those people that think it's okay to park their beat up cars on their front lawns along with engines and parts.

Does_it_really_matter
Does_it_really_matter 05/24/07 - 09:27 am
JUst by defining someone as

JUst by defining someone as rude, does not entitle one to shoot at them. Glad he wasn't shooting folks over something silly.......And I bet the gentleman doing the shooting is outraged he got arrested. Geez....

Daddyrabbit
Daddyrabbit 05/24/07 - 09:37 am
Could be if he shot in front

Could be if he shot in front of the boat as the article said, he was trying to slow them down. Until you've been fishing and gotten nearly washed out of the water by a boat with only as foot of hull in the water (virtually no control) while you're sitting there trying to fish in peace you CANNOT say how frustrated and angry you can get! EVERYONE has a breaking point! It doesn't justify shooting at someone, but who can tell how anyone else will react or even how they, themselves will react in a given situation. It's easy to sit over coffee and say, " I would have just let it go", unless you've been there several times.

cletus45
cletus45 05/24/07 - 10:17 am
I wish I could shoot anyone

I wish I could shoot anyone who was rude to me on the water. It would probably make everyone a little more courteous.

P.S. If gun control means hitting your target the old man needs a little more practice. I guess one out of three isnt too bad.

old school graduate
old school graduate 05/24/07 - 10:24 am
My father died in 2004, at

My father died in 2004, at the age of 90. This sounds just like something he would have done. I would bet my pay check that if this guy had been trying to really hit them--he would have. He was just cracking off a few warning shots. Knowing a little bit about their ways of thinking, I'm for the old dude.

intheknow
intheknow 05/24/07 - 10:30 am
Some of you have got to be

Some of you have got to be nuts. I do not give a you know what, if the man splashed water on him or got caught in his fishing lines, he had no right to soot at the boat. What if a child had been in the boat? They need to put his behind in jail. Using some of ya'll rational thinking, if I was walking down the street and someone passing by in a car splash water on me, I can lay into his [filtered word] with an AK47. MAN.

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 05/24/07 - 10:32 am
LOL at warning shots, that's

LOL at warning shots, that's how deadly accidents happen, surely if I saw a person on the bank with a gun and was shooting at me and I was not on his property, I would have called 911 as well.

I would sue him and ask the Judge to give him the max sentence no matter how old he is.

intheknow
intheknow 05/24/07 - 10:32 am
By the way that was , "

By the way that was , " SHOOT" at them.

illini
illini 05/24/07 - 11:47 am
And poeple from the South

And poeple from the South wonder why they are the butt of redneck jokes. This story says it all.

alethia
alethia 05/24/07 - 12:02 pm
We just don't hear much about

We just don't hear much about the 'Ice holes' up north.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 05/24/07 - 12:08 pm
Perhaps we should just mine

Perhaps we should just mine the waters where we fish.

rainh2o
rainh2o 05/24/07 - 12:21 pm
Maybe the old goober was

Maybe the old goober was working for Greenpeace. This sounds like their method. Let him go before the liberals make an issue of it.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 05/24/07 - 12:36 pm
"he was just trying to warn

"he was just trying to warn them"??? hahahaha most people would shoot in the air not at them if that was the case. geesh I think they got his message!!! I hope I never miss my turn and turn around in his driveway!!!!lol

ShelbyJones
ShelbyJones 05/24/07 - 12:37 pm
Is he related to Trisha

Is he related to Trisha Yearwood? She is from that area

misscj0123
misscj0123 05/24/07 - 12:46 pm
Some people will do anything

Some people will do anything to eliminate the competition in a fishing tournament.

ForHim
ForHim 05/24/07 - 12:54 pm
old school - my father also

old school - my father also died in 2004 at the age of 94. He would also have done something like that. His mindset would have been to scare them off ... and God forbid anyone try to tell him that it was wrong or he might hit someone. He would have insisted that he "knew what he was doing." I loved my dad, but he really had some ways about him. However, I'm not for the old man. What he did was wrong . He endangered lives. And old or not, he has to be accountable for his actions.