18-year-old is arrested in weekend carjackings

A suspect in two weekend carjackings was caught by police Monday after he crashed his stolen vehicle into a parked car and a house.

Matthew Terence Roberts, 18, of the 3000 block of Pinnacle Place Drive in Hephzibah, is charged with two felony counts each of hijacking a motor vehicle and possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime.

He also is charged with fleeing and attempting to elude, reckless driving and hit and run.

Richmond County Investigator Paul Godden spotted a Dodge Charger while patrolling an area near Morgan and Tobacco roads Monday afternoon that matched the description of a vehicle stolen in a carjacking in Hephzibah, said Lt. Scott Peebles.

He said deputies watched the car, which was parked in what appeared to be an abandoned home's driveway for almost four hours before the suspect returned at about 7:15 p.m. and quickly left the scene.

"We set up a team with surveillance and we waited to see who was going to come back to the car," Lt. Peebles said. "From the beginning we decided to wait on them to come back."

Police gave chase and were led to Crest Drive. It was then Mr. Roberts jumped out of the moving vehicle, which crashed into a parked car. The vehicle bounced off the car and rolled down a nearby hill and into the corner of a house. The owner of the house was inside at the time, but was not injured, Lt. Peebles said. Mr. Roberts suffered minor injuries.

The first carjacking occurred early Saturday morning as a woman pulled into her driveway in the 2000 block of Chaucer Court near Augusta West Parkway, sheriff's reports show. The victim told police three men in a black vehicle followed her from Wheeler Road to her home, then one of them pointed a handgun at her and stole her black BMW. The second carjacking occurred Sunday while the owner was sitting in his Dodge Charger at a home in the 4000 block of Creekview Drive in Hephzibah.

Lt. Peebles said the BMW was recovered from behind a home in Hephzibah on Saturday evening, but the keys were missing. It wasn't until they arrested Mr. Roberts that the keys were found, he said.

"The beautiful thing about it was when he was taken into custody he had the key from another carjacked car in his pocket," Lt. Peebles said.

Investigators believe at least one other person could have been involved in the robberies but they have no suspects at this time.

Reach Adam Folk at (706) 823-3339 or adam.folk@augustachronicle.com.

Comments (27)

As It Is
As It Is 05/23/07 - 02:09 am

Great Job again by Richmond

Great Job again by Richmond County's Finest!! Keep up the good work.

Honden
Honden 05/23/07 - 02:38 am

It would probably help the

It would probably help the image of the RCSD if they were to actually publish some of the many times that things do go right and noone is hurt.

happythoughts
happythoughts 05/23/07 - 06:53 am

How long do you believe it

How long do you believe it would be before he is out of jail and back on the streets?

pantherluvcik
pantherluvcik 05/23/07 - 07:39 am

Well happythoughts let's take

Well happythoughts let's take it one step at a time, we don't want to complicate things. Great job Richmond County!!!

LiLBrown
LiLBrown 05/23/07 - 07:43 am

I seen this guys picture in

I seen this guys picture in the "Were You Spotted section" throwing up gang signs last week.

lifelongresidient
lifelongresidient 05/23/07 - 08:03 am

i will say it again "it is

i will say it again "it is not his fault that he is a LOWLIFE!!!!!, society is the blame!!!!!" in this age of political correctness blame must not be placed where if belongs (HINT: parent(s)), society must reach out to him and take care of his inner rage. he did not mean to be a lowlife, worthless individual but all this was set in motion 400 years ago......AHHHH WHO AM I KIDDING!?!?!?!?!?!?, that piece of worthless trash should be put underneath the jail for about 20 years, and his parents made to pay for all the damage he caused. this just goes to show the state of parenting in today society

Native Augustan
Native Augustan 05/23/07 - 08:03 am

Yo LiLBrown -- I hope he

Yo LiLBrown -- I hope he practices his gang signs as he will need them where he is going. I think the penalty for car-jacking is pretty stiff -- and with edivence of two car-jackings he should be put away for a long time. It is a shame as I'll bet he had no idea what he was doing could cost him a very long prison stay.

shepster
shepster 05/23/07 - 09:00 am

jisomir.., you TOTALLY had me

jisomir.., you TOTALLY had me fooled! ;)

WW1949
WW1949 05/23/07 - 09:22 am

Great job RCSD. Now for the

Great job RCSD. Now for the Judges, do your job and put him away for a long long time.

Augusta Mom
Augusta Mom 05/23/07 - 09:34 am

RCSD is doing their usual

RCSD is doing their usual GREAT JOB in catching these people! Let's hope they receive back-up from our courts and keep these thugs off the streets. It was just a matter of time before someone was going to get really injured..... And I'm sure there is someone in the Augusta area who know the man doing all of the robberies caught on video. He's so bold he doesn't even try to disguise his face.

stillamazed
stillamazed 05/23/07 - 09:48 am

These young kids think that

These young kids think that the gang lifestyle is cool.... they see it in the videos, they think it is wonderful to be a gansta, to steal from hard working citizens, to sell drugs and to treat women like trash....does the music industry give a s*** no......

thugskin
thugskin 05/23/07 - 10:44 am

Put him in one of the car

Put him in one of the car jack cars and roll him off a cliff.

mable8
mable8 05/23/07 - 11:12 am

STOP BLAMING THE

STOP BLAMING THE PARENTS--They aren't ALWAYS the "culprit." At some point in time, no matter who they are or where they come from, your children will make THEIR DECISION to do right or wrong, regardless of their upbringing. Parents do not always agree with what their child decides to do, but it is the child's decision. Who among you has a child that you did not agree with what their decision was? So the 18 year old made a stupid choice; HE will have to live with it; the parents will have to suffer the stigma associated with that decision. Certainly there are a few people out there who deliberately raised a child to commit criminal acts, but those are few and far between. LET THE 18 YEAR OLD PAY THE CONSEQUENCES AND LEAVE THE PARENTS OUT OF IT. [CAPS for emphasis only, thank you].

Thefuturist
Thefuturist 05/23/07 - 11:21 am

Kudos to the RCSD. Great Job.

Kudos to the RCSD. Great Job. Let us keep in mind the danger of those high speed chases. Picture a father and his toddler washing that parked car in the front yard of his home and this idiot jumping out and running from the cops, could have been very ugly. There should be a mandatory 10 year sentence for carjacking and if it is done with a gun, add an additional 7 years.
Maybe then these hooligans will get the message that hardworking, law-abiding citizens such as myself are tired of the nonsense.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 05/23/07 - 11:39 am

Thank god this little punk didn't hurt anyone. I think if there is evidence you are gang affiliated , you should receive additional time, and the only gang they should be in once they get inside is "the chain gang"!!!! Punish the criminals by making them do something they really hate...WORK!!!!!!

GuyIncognito
GuyIncognito 05/23/07 - 11:45 am

Maybe now you'll see this

Maybe now you'll see this guy's picture in the mug shots section. Do you think he'll still be making gang signs?

marien
marien 05/23/07 - 12:00 pm

I am so happy another stolen

I am so happy another stolen car is found. Back in March my 18 year old son car was stolen, on his way home from college that night. Again it was found at a stolen house off Meadowbrook drive, the police set up the same sting operation got the car back the young thug took off running but got caught. They stole the car stero from the car which was worth $150, but left the college books worth $600. Thank you once again RCSD

YESWECAN
YESWECAN 05/23/07 - 01:40 pm

way to go mable8. I was

way to go mable8. I was thinking the same thing. If my mom knew some of the things that I have done she would kill me. She taught me well and she didn't take any ****. If I had gotten in any trouble it would have broken her heart into pieces and I wouldn't be able to look at her in her eyes. I didn't do anything like stealing cars and robbery. But I did participate in underage drinking and experimented with drugs. Now that I am an adult, I try to make sure that my child doesn't slip through any cracks. Being a parent is tough. No parent wants their child to commit such crimes. However, all kids don't stay on the correct path.

adam
adam 05/23/07 - 01:57 pm

If there are pictures of him

If there are pictures of him flashing "gang-signs" they should be introduced as evidence.Punishment for gang related crimes is much more severe. What a scumbag he is.

VIPER13
VIPER13 05/23/07 - 03:30 pm

LiL Brown get your facts

LiL Brown get your facts together, where exactly did you see his picture throwing up gang signs, since his picture was not published or is it that you do know him in person.
Adam how can you introduce these pictures as evidence even if they do exist for gang related crimes.
Come on people where is your level of thinking,you both are so shallow minded.
I am not condoning what this kid have done, what he did was wrong.

t of i
t of i 05/23/07 - 04:15 pm

Mabel8. Stupid choice?

Mabel8. Stupid choice? Sneaking out of your house, drinking and driving too fast is a stupid choice. Two car jackings, possession of a firearm? That's a bit much to be called a stupid choice. He obviousley has some problem with understanding property rights. I see some sort failure in his upbringing, or at the very least, failure of his parents to seek help for this individual if he was "out of control."

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 05/23/07 - 05:32 pm

Viper must be in a gang

Viper must be in a gang lol......ADAM i agree 100% as I stated earlier... read my post viper..you would like it!!!l lol and viper , just like if a crime is listen as a hate crime time is added..... the same should go for gang members!!!! Just curious.. what is your position to why it shouldn't be introduced. Do you have another way of trying to deter our youth from gangs? No one thing will solve the gang problem... but every step we take on getting tougher with them.. is a step in the right direction!!!!!

bf
bf 05/23/07 - 05:47 pm

Too bad the car didn't run

Too bad the car didn't run over him as he jumped from it. Then both he and his family that chose not to raise him right would suffer. I will say, great job RCSD. The thing that really sucks is that RCSD did an amazing job to catch these kids. Now, they will go to a court room where laws are made to protect the guilty and hurt the innocent. This kid should be beat senseless.

meabritt
meabritt 05/23/07 - 10:59 pm

This boy goes to my school.

This boy goes to my school. He's in a couple of my classes. I never thought he would do anything like this. He always seemed like a well brought up kid and he made good decisions in school. He had nice things to say. It's sad to see a fellow graduate make such a poor decision so close to graduation. He could have done great things but now he'll be sitting behind bars. And I don't think everyone should be blaming his parents. Even the best fall down sometimes. It's not always the parents fault. I know myself that I have made some huge mistakes and it wasn't because my mother didn't raise me right. It was the people I chose to associate with.

unknown1
unknown1 05/23/07 - 11:47 pm

Excellent job RCSO....no one

Excellent job RCSO....no one gives credit for the good things you do but focus and escalate the ugly part of your job.
Law enforcement is a very hard and thankless job. We citizens want the presence of the RCSO but then criticize the way you try to protect us. I sincerely hope and pray that all your hard work in this case will be rewaded by placing this "individual" exactly where he belongs. He does not belong in society if he has no respect for other people's belongings. EXCELLENT JOB!!!!!!!

rass2007
rass2007 05/28/07 - 02:09 pm

I am a firm believer that he

I am a firm believer that he just got caught up with the wrong friends, I am not going to condone what he did, some one could have been hurt or killed but by the will of God no one was injured, the parents cannot be blamed, he is old enought to know what is right and what is wrong,I do know this young man personally he just made the wrong decison for what ever reason it may have been. We all have made some mistakes in life at one time or another and we learn from them, and with this mistake I am sure he will learned from it.

t of i
t of i 05/28/07 - 09:29 pm

He didn't just make one wrong

He didn't just make one wrong choice. I, and no others I know, made that many wrong discisions. When we stop makig excuses for bad behavior for what ever reason, we will all be the better for it. Have you not noticed the more we forgive wrong discisions , the more wrong discisions people make?

t of i
t of i 05/28/07 - 09:35 pm

What I'm trying to say is

What I'm trying to say is that he did it twice. Do you understand? Twice. He is 18. Suffer the consequences, "friends" not withstanding.