News |   Obits |   Sports |   Business |   Opinion |   Things to Do |   Life |   Blogs |   Photos |   Video |   Data |   Jobs |   Homes |   Autos |   Buy/Sell

Across the area

Early morning wreck kills two

Two people were killed in a single-car wreck on Harlem-Grovetown Road in Columbia County early Sunday.

Cameron Newman, 23, of the 1000 block of Brown Circle in Harlem, and Mallory Jason, 19, of the 4600 block of Country Meadows Lane in Martinez, died at the scene, county Coroner Vernon Collins said.

The wreck occurred at about 3 a.m. Sunday. Columbia County sheriff's Capt. Steve Morris said the Dodge Quad Cab was headed west on Harlem-Grovetown Road near Young Drive when it left the road and struck a pine tree. Ms. Jason, a front-seat passenger, wasn't wearing a seatbelt, authorities said.

Two other people in the car - Brandon Newman, 24, of Harlem, the car's driver and Cameron's brother, and Sara Boykin, 16, a front-seat passenger - were taken to Medical College of Georgia Hospital. Authorities said the injuries didn't appear to be life-threatening.

The accident was still under investigation Sunday.

Police officer pulls gun on DUI suspect

A North Augusta man who reeked of alcohol became so combative when he was pulled over that the officer had to hold him at gunpoint until another officer could handcuff him Saturday.

Reynold Christopher Hartman, 36, of the 5000 block of Fieldcrest Drive, is charged with DUI, resisting arrest and not having a driver's license, according to a report from the North Augusta Department of Public Safety.

Officer Van Williams was cut off by Mr. Hartman on Saturday afternoon while driving to work. He got Mr. Hartman to pull over in a lot on Nutgrove Drive.

Mr. Hartman told the officer that he was chasing a girl and did not have a license. He then ran around the vehicle when the officer tried to handcuff him, the report said.

The officer used pepper spray, then pulled his gun and yelled for Mr. Hartman to get on the ground. When other officers arrived, they managed to get the man handcuffed.

Broken windows at school to cost $1,600

Two windows were broken in the building leading into the weight room at Richmond Academy on Saturday.

The damage was estimated at $1,600, but it didn't appear that anyone went into the room, according to the Richmond County sheriff's report.

Woman says intruder stole TV, computer

A woman reported that her home was broken into and her television and laptop computer were stolen Saturday afternoon.

The woman, who lives in the 2100 block of Reserve Lane, told officers the person likely came in through a bedroom window. Cash, a watch and a diamond necklace also were taken, according to a Richmond County sheriff's report.

Pajama-clad man is shoplifting suspect

An Augusta man doing some early morning shopping at Walgreens in his pajama pants is facing several charges, including shoplifting.

Calvin Eugene Butler, 35, of the 2100 block of Faircrest Avenue, is charged with theft by shoplifting, giving a false name, felony obstruction of a law enforcement officer, felony interference with government property, giving a false name and date of birth to a law enforcement officer and an outstanding state court warrant, according to jail records.

The store's alarm sounded when a man was leaving the store in the 3200 block of Peach Orchard Road.

An officer found Mr. Butler behind the business and told him to stop, but he ran and was caught by two other officers nearby, according to a sheriff's report.

A number of items from the store, including Calgon Body Mist Totes and Cadbury Fruit and Nut Candy bars, were recovered and returned, the report said.

Missing man needs medical treatment

Police are searching for a Hephzibah man who was reported missing Saturday.

Henry Louis Parks, 49, of the 3800 block of Farrington Drive, went for medical treatment Saturday afternoon and has not been seen since.

Mr. Parks requires regular medical treatments, suffers from dementia and also has a problem with drugs.

Anyone who might know where Mr. Parks is asked to contact the Richmond County Sheriff's Office at (706) 821-1080.

Road to close during installation of sewer

East Boundary Road between Telfair Street and Watkins Street will be closed Tuesday until June 8 to install a sewer line and storm drain, according to the Augusta Engineering Department.

a2
a2 05/14/07 - 05:35 am
DUI suspect pulled over on

DUI suspect pulled over on Nutgrove Drive. How appropriate.
Also the pajama clad man with Calgon body mist totes. Shower anyone?

pantherluvcik
pantherluvcik 05/14/07 - 06:23 am
Maybe he was sleep walking.

Maybe he was sleep walking.

heartablazing69
heartablazing69 05/14/07 - 07:06 am
He wanted Calgon to take him

He wanted Calgon to take him away. He didn't expect the cops to do it!!

Does_it_really_matter
Does_it_really_matter 05/14/07 - 08:04 am
He was just getting his

He was just getting his "Mother's Day" shopping (lifting) early.

emallen4jc
emallen4jc 05/14/07 - 09:04 am
mallory was a good friend i

mallory was a good friend i knew her in middle school its so hard to believe that it happened RIP MALLORY JASON you will be in our prayers

someone
someone 05/14/07 - 09:11 am
I know Sarah Boykin pretty

I know Sarah Boykin pretty good. I am praying for her and her family. Please think before you drink and drive. It may hurt you and others and this is a HORRIBLE way to learn your lesson. My prays are with the victims family & friends.

dstraughn
dstraughn 05/14/07 - 09:43 am
This is a Hard lesson for all

This is a Hard lesson for all of to learn! We all need to wake up and realize that nothing is guaranteed in life and we all are not made of steel! I went to school with Brandon and cameron and live less that 5 mi. from them. This could be me and I am having to step back and think about whats important in my life! My prayers are with these families and friends and can only hope that with this shocking tragedy that we can all learn from this and maybe the reality of this all will be able to hopefully stop this from happening again to someone the we love and care about!.....To all that know me! this is a huge reality check for me and I hope that you learn from this as well, again to the families and friends involved in this please know that you will be in my prayers and hope that something good can come from this all... whatever that may be!

Daniel S.

mgray
mgray 05/14/07 - 09:53 am
Uh-oh, looks like Calvin's

Uh-oh, looks like Calvin's Mom didn't get her Calgon and chocolate for Mother's Day!

blazelovsit
blazelovsit 05/14/07 - 10:04 am
Mallory was a sweet girl. i

Mallory was a sweet girl. i went to middle school with her. she will be greatly missed. along with Camron, they both will be in our hearts

vls214
vls214 05/14/07 - 10:28 am

Thank you everyone for keeping our family in your prayers. Sarah is my cousin and she needs everyones prayers right now. She is our angel and she definetly had one looking over her.

joseph.amber.whitaker
joseph.amber.whitaker 05/14/07 - 10:54 am
Life will go on, but never

Life will go on, but never will be the same,
your smile is gone, but it will always remain.
You're our angel from up above.
You'll always be missed, but most importantly... loved.

Mallory was a great girl, and she knew how to have fun. She was always there for me when i needed her, and I wont ever forget that. Her family and Cameron's are in our prayers...
Rest In Peace
Mallory Jason
Cameron Newman
May 13, 2007

angren918
angren918 05/14/07 - 12:28 pm
My thoughts and prayers go

My thoughts and prayers go out to all of those involved with the wreck on Harlem-Grovetown road. What a tragic event to take place on Mother's Day of all days. I went to school with Cameron and although we were never close friends, I can recall that he was a very good person. Having also lost a close friend in a car wreck, I can imagine how devastated his and Mallory’s loved ones must be. It is my hope that those left struggling to cope with this tragedy may find at least some comfort in knowing that they are not alone in their grief and that the whole community mourns along with them.

dkby
dkby 05/14/07 - 12:38 pm
My heart breaks for these

My heart breaks for these familie! I have two teens and pray I never have to get a phone call like his! Mother's Day will never be the same for these familes.....God Bless all involved!

jessie2007
jessie2007 05/14/07 - 12:54 pm
I have known Cameron for

I have known Cameron for awhile and he was a great person! He was loved by many... He will be greatly missed. My thoughts and prayers go out to both Cameron and Mallory's familys. Rest In Peace Cameron Newman. I will miss you, and I will see you again one day!

chris steinmeyer
chris steinmeyer 05/14/07 - 01:06 pm
i knew MALLORY from middle

i knew MALLORY from middle school we were pretty good friends at CMS she was a very sweet girl and she graduated with my friends also my prayers go out to all the families R.I.P. MALLORY JASON gone but never forgotten

anrshearer_plus1
anrshearer_plus1 05/14/07 - 01:45 pm
I knew Mallory from middle

I knew Mallory from middle school and it is so hard to believe that this horrible tragedy has happened. This is one of the worst ways to learn a leason. This just goes to show that you just never know. My prayers are with the family and close friends to all. RIP Mallory you will never be forgotten!

clogger08
clogger08 05/14/07 - 01:56 pm
I know Sarah boykin, and I

I know Sarah boykin, and I just wanted to say that I am praying for her and her family. And I hope she will figure out that drinking and driving do not go together.

marien
marien 05/14/07 - 02:37 pm
My prayers to the families.

My prayers to the families.

marien
marien 05/14/07 - 02:39 pm
To the calgon theif you will

To the calgon theif you will be wearing a different fragance called musk-behind-bars.

anr2727
anr2727 05/14/07 - 03:23 pm
My thoughts and prayers are

My thoughts and prayers are with both Cameron and Mallory's families while going through this difficult time. I babysat Mallory when she was little girl and she was always a pleasure to be around. I thought very much of her, as did others. I pray that God will be with both families and provide much comfort. My heart goes out to those who were involved in the tragic accident and those who have been affected.

college kid
college kid 05/14/07 - 04:01 pm
wow, i can`t believe that

wow, i can`t believe that happened to Sarah. =/ i am going to pray for herrr.

college kid
college kid 05/14/07 - 04:01 pm
wow, i can`t believe that

wow, i can`t believe that happened to Sarah. =/ i am going to pray for herrr.

shannonking1980
shannonking1980 05/14/07 - 04:02 pm
I worked with Mallory at The

I worked with Mallory at The Sunshine House until the beginning of this school year and she always had a smile on her face. I truley respected her class and beauty and loved her sense of humor. She kept my oldest son and he put her through it and she always kept a smile. I was truly sadden when I heard the news this morning. My hearfelt thoughts and prayers are with her family. I hate this for them. She was so young and had such a great future that has been cut short. Mallory you will be missed.

whooney65
whooney65 05/14/07 - 04:04 pm
What a waste of young lives

What a waste of young lives

KBattles
KBattles 05/14/07 - 04:13 pm
I have known mallory since i

I have known mallory since i was about 10. She was my best friend for many years. Although we werent so close twords the end, i always knew she would be there for me if i needed. She was so much fun to be around and was a ray of sunshine in anyones day. I broke down when i heard the news. My prayers go out to the Jason family and also to the Newmans. I love you Mallory, and i will see you in heaven one day. Keep watch over us. RIP Mallory Jason and Cameron Newman 5/13/07

naomiRlappe
naomiRlappe 05/14/07 - 04:37 pm
i went to school with mallory

i went to school with mallory and couldn't believe what happened when i heard about it, its heartwretching to hear, my heart and prayers go to all involved in the wreck, you're both in a better place RIP mallory jason and Cameron newman you'll be missed 5/13/07

candycane762002
candycane762002 05/14/07 - 04:51 pm
I went to school with Brandon

I went to school with Brandon and Cameron. It's very sad to hear this happened. My thoughts and prayers go out to both families.

my2sense
my2sense 05/14/07 - 04:57 pm
To Dstraughn I am sorry that

To Dstraughn
I am sorry that you had to lose 2 friends in such a tragic way. I am glad that this has been a reality check for you and hopefully for others as well. Keep your head up! My condolences go out to the families. It was so hard seeing their friends crying at the crash site. I hope and pray the others that were involved in the accident will be alright. My prayers are with all the families and friends that are involved in this tragedy.

Yorkiemom
Yorkiemom 05/14/07 - 05:27 pm
I have known Mallory since

I have known Mallory since she started school. She has been best friends with my niece Stephanie for many years. I have watched this child grown up to become a young lady in college, as has my whole extended family. She called my dad Paw Paw, just like he was her Paw Paw. My dad's heart is breaking in heaven right now, knowing that Mallory has joined him. I know he greeted her with open arms in heaven as he did everytime she came into the house. This is so heart breaking for so many families. The friends at the crash site so upset and crying, it just breaks my heart to see this happening. I do hope this is a wake up call. Drinking and driving does not go together. So many lives will be changed by this forever. I'm praying for everyone and all the familes. Please take a look at how your living your life now and see if you need to change anything before it's to late.
Mallory I will miss you and your smile,
Love Marybeth Hawkins

kirk1
kirk1 05/14/07 - 08:19 pm
we have known mallory since

we have known mallory since she was 9 years old. she and my daughter were best friends at one time. i am praying for the jason and newman family. this will impact our community for a long time. i pray this will be a wake up call for the youth of augusta. mallory was a cheerful person with a big smile. we will miss her and remember all the good times.

Property tax jump OK'd

Augusta commissioners broke a seven-year trend Wednesday and agreed 7-0 to raise property taxes by 1.75 mills to cover a deficit and provide employees a small bonus.