Man's body found shot in his vehicle

Family members of an Augusta man who was fatally shot Friday struggled to make sense of their loved one's death as Richmond County investigators canvassed the area around the Augusta apartment complex where his body was found.

The body of Tollie Mitchell, 29, of the 2400 block of Ruby Drive, was found at about 4:15 p.m. in his black Honda Accord at Regency Square Apartments near Regency Mall in south Augusta. Mr. Mitchell had been shot at least one time in the neck, Richmond County Sgt. Calvin Chew said.

An autopsy has been scheduled at the Georgia Bureau of Investigation crime lab in Atlanta to determine the cause of death, Chief Deputy Coroner Mark Bowen said.

Mr. Mitchell's cousin, Sheela Norman, had just arrived on the scene when she was told the news. She said the man everyone knew as "T.C." had been released from jail a few weeks ago.

"I've only seen him a few times since he was home," Ms. Norman said. "We would have never expected this."

Police have not yet identified any suspects, according to Sgt. Richard Roundtree. They are now offering a reward for any information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person or people responsible for his death.

Mr. Mitchell's slaying marks the 10th in Richmond County this year.

Anyone with information should call the sheriff's office at (706) 821-1080.

Reach Adam Folk at (706) 823-3339 or adam.folk@augustachronicle.com.

butterflygina
butterflygina 05/12/07 - 08:29 am
I hope the community has the

I hope the community has the courage to step forward. If only they would stop, before pulling the trigger, and think how sad they are making the world and where they will be next year this time. Does it really matter, is it worth destroying your life and his?

crackertroy
crackertroy 05/12/07 - 09:29 am
butterflygina, I lost a

butterflygina, I lost a brother to a shooting and the fact is they probably will never catch the guy who shot Mitchell. Also consider Mitchell was only out of jail for a week so who knows what kind of foul play was involved.

CoastalDawg
CoastalDawg 05/12/07 - 10:17 am
This is the grammar police:

This is the grammar police: Exactly what part of the human body is the "vehicle"? How about simply "Man's body found in his vehicle"? Or "Vehicle reveals man who had been shot"?

CHRISTIANR6
CHRISTIANR6 05/12/07 - 10:35 am
I have know T.C. for years,

I have know T.C. for years, he was a customer of mine. He stopped by to say hello a couple of weeks ago. It had been years since I had seen him till then. He was a good guy we talked for about an hour when he stopped by that day. He will be missed, he was a good fella. My heart and prayers go out to his Family AND fRIENDS. To T.C. WE WILL MISS YOU BRO!! You may be gone but will never be FORGOTTEN

jack10
jack10 05/13/07 - 03:04 pm
i agree with

i agree with Bareoness.............. i leave in that neighborhood......... and its like im scared to even come home at night...... or shall i say anytime of the day........knowing they haven't never found their killer............ i jus pray everyday that people will jus stop killing one another.............

blaque1208
blaque1208 05/14/07 - 01:59 am
I meet T.C after he was

I meet T.C after he was released from jail and he was agood family man and I will miss my friend! R.I.P. T.C.!

NoGoodReason
NoGoodReason 05/14/07 - 11:27 am
I grew up on the southside of

I grew up on the southside of Augusta and lost two friends to a crime just like this over 20 years ago. The authorties are still looking for the person who did it.. I'm not sure it will be resolved in my life time, but it would be nice to see that person or persons' go to jail for what they have done. It's not likely they'll solve it anytime soon, unless someone spills the beans to save their own butt.

miss_mona99
miss_mona99 05/14/07 - 06:45 pm
My deepest sympathy goes out

My deepest sympathy goes out to T.C.'s family. I didn't know him well, I'm friends with his brother, and T.C. used to shop with us from time to time. Please stop the violence and start loving.

Authorities to target impaired drivers during holiday

Authorities in Georgia and South Carolina are teaming up this weekend to target impaired drivers and protect the 1.2 million motorists in the two states who plan to travel in what AAA projects ...