Holland looks to mayor for reversal

Augusta Commissioner Calvin Holland said Friday he won't push to overturn the censure his colleagues voted last week to give him. He expects Mayor Deke Copenhaver to do that.

"The mayor said if he found out I didn't do anything wrong, he would be the first to push to have the censure rescinded," Mr. Holland said, citing a previous television interview.

"All I can do is see if he's a man of his word."

Mr. Copenhaver was on vacation Friday and did not respond to an e-mail seeking his response.

Although Mr. Holland said he would not initiate a new vote, he had earlier placed the issue on Tuesday's commission meeting agenda.

It would be the first meeting since May 1, when his fellow commissioners voted 6-3 to censure him for asking a city employee to give him the hard drive from City Administrator Fred Russell's computer while Mr. Russell was on vacation.

Mr. Holland said he was vindicated after an independent Atlanta attorney, hired to give an impartial ruling on whether an ordinance concerning commissioners' contact with city employees was violated, said Mr. Holland did not violate the ordinance, although what he did wasn't the best practice.

"If you tell the truth, stick with your beliefs and maintain the faith, it will come to pass," Mr. Holland said.

It did not appear Friday, however, that a new vote would overturn the censure. Calls to city commissioners indicated no one seemed likely to change position. Commissioners who supported Mr. Holland and voted against the censure say it should be rescinded; those who voted for it said it should stand.

"I stand exactly where I stood two weeks ago," Commissioner Joe Bowles said. "I think the censure should stand."

Mr. Bowles said the independent attorney, Quinton S. Seay of Atlanta, clearly stated that Mr. Holland had violated the intent of the city ordinance concerning contact with employees.

"The letter of the law is one thing," Mr. Bowles said. "The intention of the law is another."

Commissioner Jerry Brigham, who also voted for the censure, said he would not vote to rescind it.

"I think he did wrong," he said. "I think if he was going to investigate the administrator, he ought to have the decency to talk to the other commissioners before he launched into a tirade."

Commissioner Jimmy Smith said he was going to stand by his vote.

Commissioner Don Grantham said he disagreed with Mr. Seay's opinion and would not vote to rescind the censure.

"The lawyer's letter is his interpretation of his legal opinion," he said. "I have my legal opinion, too. My opinion is he violated the ordinance. I object to the method in which it was accomplished.

"He waited until he was out of town to ask for the computer. He's entitled to receive assistance from an employee, but he set precedent. That's the main concern of the commissioners."

Commissioner Andy Cheek, who called for the censure, said Mr. Holland's request for the hard drive was blatant retaliation for General Counsel Eugene Jessup's seizure of in-house attorney Vanessa Flournoy's computer hard drive.

Mayor Pro Tem Betty Beard said she just wants the issue to go away.

"I just don't think it's worthy of the city's time," she said.

Reach Sylvia Cooper at (706) 823-3228 or sylvia.cooper@augustachronicle.com.

What's Next:

Commissioner Calvin Holland has placed the censure issue on Tuesday's city commission agenda for discussion. The meeting will be at 2 p.m. at the commission chambers on the eighth floor of the Municipal Building, 530 Greene St.

As It Is
As It Is 05/12/07 - 03:27 am
A censure isn't enough. He

A censure isn't enough. He should be recalled and he should also pay his taxes. Holland and Williams are both a disgrace to Augusta.

TAG1313
TAG1313 05/12/07 - 04:12 am
Thank You! Ms Betty Beard you

Thank You! Ms Betty Beard you have the right view on this mess.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 05/12/07 - 06:26 am
Ms Beard has the right idea

Ms Beard has the right idea and the Mayor should make it final. I'm sure Mayor Copenhaver can find a diplomatic way to clearly state that no commissioner can launch an investigation and seize computers without a majority of the commission backing him or her. The responsible part of the commission has got to learn to control fools that belong to the commission, because Holland and Williams aren't going to be the only ones elected. They can be used for training tools, though, so the rest of the commission will be prepared to carry on city bussiness while containing the disruptive fools that will be elected in the future.

Pinchgut
Pinchgut 05/12/07 - 06:31 am
Hell would freeze over before

Hell would freeze over before I would overturn a censure to this scumbag.

Da Voice Inside Your Head
Da Voice Inside Your Head 05/12/07 - 06:50 am
Love it Raymond! He and his

Love it Raymond! He and his soul mate are two pimples on a boil. This is the first the commissioners have showed any intestinal fortitude. I'm proud that they're sticking to it. Enough is enough from these two smucks. Betty Beard, who I am proud to say is coming along, is right. All these two jerks want is attention. Shut em down.

WorriedAboutOurFuture
WorriedAboutOurFuture 05/12/07 - 07:22 am
RAYMOND, I'm still laughing.

RAYMOND, I'm still laughing. I disagree that Holland's sneaky misstep is not worth the city's time, but yes, enough already. Wrong isn't always specifically forbidden by the law. PT, as ususal, you right on the mark about training and containing.

butterflygina
butterflygina 05/12/07 - 07:35 am
I say he did something wrong

I say he did something wrong and sneaky and that is all the proof I need. Those idiots. Somebody (wiliams?) is going to engage in criminal activity (after leaving the commission) that leads to his arrest so that his name and face will continue to come up in the local media. he gets a high from it.

ONLY THE TRUTH
ONLY THE TRUTH 05/12/07 - 07:44 am
Donald Trump called and want

Donald Trump called and want to know if Holland is his boss too

JimCox
JimCox 05/12/07 - 07:44 am
It is time for Bobby

It is time for Bobby Hankerson to initiate a recall effort. He only lost by 11 votes last November, I'll bet he would win in a landslide today!

WW1949
WW1949 05/12/07 - 08:13 am
The intent of the ordinance

The intent of the ordinance was to keep commisioners from micro-managing departments. Mr Holland must not understand he has to go thru the chain of command like everyone else. If I was on the commission I would not change my vote no matter what the interpertation of the Atlanta lawyer.

kudzo-n-roses
kudzo-n-roses 05/12/07 - 08:19 am
"Commissioner Calvin Holland

"Commissioner Calvin Holland has placed the censure issue on Tuesday's city commission agenda for discussion"..........I thought it said in the first sentence that holland would 'not" push for a reversal so ................

THESOUTHLOST
THESOUTHLOST 05/12/07 - 08:25 am
Boy what a bunch of idiots.

Boy what a bunch of idiots. The man did nothing wrong. To hell with intent. He did not violate the letter of the laws. I hope none of you all are arrested for violating the intent of any laws. But one thing about the most of you all, you are predictable.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 05/12/07 - 08:47 am
TSL, You remind me of the

TSL, You remind me of the Mother while watching a group of soldiers march including her son said:"All of the men are out of step except my sweet Joey"

THESOUTHLOST
THESOUTHLOST 05/12/07 - 08:52 am
So like Nazi everyone is

So like Nazi everyone is supposed to walk in step, right or wrong. You people do not believe in the law. You just feel that everything has to be the way you like it.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 05/12/07 - 08:54 am
TSL, I like it when you

TSL, I like it when you disagree with me, it means I'm right.

thisnthat
thisnthat 05/12/07 - 08:56 am
Whether he broke the intent

Whether he broke the intent of the ordinance or not, he put the Information Technology Dept. in a horrible position and created a culture of distrust among the employees who actually get the job done. How can that be best for Augusta? Not to mention, one more time Augusta is in the state news for discontent. How are we going to attract new businesses and investment when we are constantly in the news for political strife? If you want to help the people of Augusta, work together and raise the standard of living!

bone
bone 05/12/07 - 09:01 am
Fortunately, you aren't a

Fortunately, you aren't a member of the commission, southlost. If you were, you would have been on the losing side of the vote (6-3). What Commissioner Holland did was clearly wrong; the fact that what he did wasn't illegal prevents any further action from being taken against him. A censure is an appropriate means of acknowledging wrongdoing without attaching a legal finding. I am curious about one thing: if Mr. Russell decides to pursue any legal action against Holland, would the mayor rescind the censure vote to prevent it being used against Holland in court? In that case, I would be in favor of rescinding the censure vote: Holland is an idiot, but he doesn't deserve to be legally prosecuted for being irresponsible.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 05/12/07 - 09:14 am
***********[is that enough,

***********[is that enough, tough moniker] excellent post. That is the point of the commission isn't it. It's too bad so many still think it's a 'gotcha club'.

CoastalDawg
CoastalDawg 05/12/07 - 09:27 am
Recall is a messy and time

Recall is a messy and time consuming procedure. The honorable thing would be for those involved to resign, effective immediately. I'm wondering why no one has questioned the "hiring" of some unknown Atlanta attorney to render a decision in the case of a local ordinance. More money foolishly spent for what? His opinion carries as much weight as anyone in Augusta. Sorry, but the mayor can't "overturn" a censure vote in reality because those who voted for it can always do it again. This whole mess is small town politics at its worst.

CoastalDawg
CoastalDawg 05/12/07 - 09:31 am
I think the moniker "THE

I think the moniker "THE SOUTH LOST" says it all folks. Lost what? Who says "it's over"? Why would anyone want to live in an area that he believes has "lost"? Sorry TSL, you are in a major minority on this one.

jmoval
jmoval 05/12/07 - 10:09 am
South Lost, I got your back,

South Lost, I got your back, you see how they change the rules. A week ago they say he broke the law and a Censure was not enough, now they say well he did not brake the law but we don't care because we don't like who he was investigating. Listen close, lets pretend DonG or JerryfatassB did this to Marion Williams; I would bet my life they would have a total different opinion of this. South me and you we already know how they are going to react when something happens. That’s sad I already know your opinion before you, now what does that say about you. Don't mess with Fred or Tom Beck, if they are black burn his or [filtered word] and we will back you. What joke you all are. Yes I said you all, I can't wait to you meet that Black Jesus. HA (WAOF)

THESOUTHLOST
THESOUTHLOST 05/12/07 - 10:11 am
PT IN YOUR WARPED MIND, YOU

PT IN YOUR WARPED MIND, YOU ARE ALWAYS RIGHT. You have never seen anything good in anyone that does not walk step by step with you. You are so predictable.

gcap
gcap 05/12/07 - 10:15 am
Richmond County residents

Richmond County residents should be up in arms over the waste of money being spent by the County on this non-issue. The post by ******* is right. Augusta-Richmond County wastes time and money on non-issues and, in the process, embarrasses the entire area. More importantly, no business wants to invest in ARC. I've written it many, many times before and will again and again: I'm mighty happy that I moved from Richmond County.

THESOUTHLOST
THESOUTHLOST 05/12/07 - 10:19 am
COSTALDAWG, the beauty of

COSTALDAWG, the beauty of this country is that I do not have to ask you, nor anyone else for permission to live any where that I can afford to. But, if those of you that are whinning every day about Richmond County do not like it here, there are two things you can do, run for office, or fly DELTA. You do not believe in the laws of this country, unless it support your narrow minded views. Then you want to change it. You bring up O.J. but forget about Robert Blake, you have problems with Affirmative Action, butt do not speak out against the GOOD OLE BOY SYSTEM. You want RYAN B. off the air but you support AUSTIN RHODES' right to " Free speech, despite the fact that he is a race baiter.

jmoval
jmoval 05/12/07 - 10:25 am
What does that say about your

What does that say about your heart or your integrity that your opinion about something depends on what religion, what race or what political party someone belongs to. How were you raised? I see people with totally different views on this post base on what type of person the story is about. You mean you can’t see this? I am glad I was not raised with hate and bias in my heart. Now everyone is going to go over my grammar with a fine tooth comb and try and make me look dumb, but I could care less, you need to study history and find out about other cultures so your heart can get better. You are ill with hate and prejudice in your hearts, you need heeling.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 05/12/07 - 10:40 am
TSL and jmoval, skin color

TSL and jmoval, skin color doesn't mean anything but skin color. Holland and Williams aren't wrong because they're black, they're wrong because they aren't right. Being white doesn't make you right or wrong, obeying the rules or laws is the deciding factor. Misinterpreting available information to make a subject say what you want it to isn't the same as understanding the situation involved. And, no one can make you look dumb but you. Your communication skills, your ability to grasp an idea, and your controdictions are your worst enemies. I personally like seeing you two take such an active part in these discusions, your point of view is important. I just wish I knew what you meant when you misuse words and refuse to organize your ideas. Punctuation isn't a bad word.

WorriedAboutOurFuture
WorriedAboutOurFuture 05/12/07 - 10:52 am
JMOVAL, it seems to me that

JMOVAL, it seems to me that the thing that really gets your goat is that "white people" generally couldn't care less what "black people" think about them. Yet you, and so many like you just can't seem to get past what you seem to believe "white people" think about "black people". Buck up, man, and keep it about the issues, like what is right and what is wrong, instead of pulling a Jesse or Al everytime the debate gets away from you.

THESOUTHLOST
THESOUTHLOST 05/12/07 - 11:00 am
PT, your problem is, that you

PT, your problem is, that you do not want to understand what those who disagree with you mean. You can try the old, if only I could understand you routine if you like, I am no Rhodes Scholar, but I did get past the 5th grade, which is about the educational level of some on this site. Point blank. Most people are not arrested or charged for violating the " INTENT " of a law. Now you can disagree with a law, work to change said law(s), but if you are a true believer in our laws, you will not penalize others because they take advantage of loop holes in the law.

tgulleyjazz
tgulleyjazz 05/12/07 - 11:01 am
The censure should stand

The censure should stand simply for Holland making such an anal cavity of himself in the commission chambers. It is for conduct such as that the "N" word was coined and therefore should not be obliterated. If he KNEW he was right, why could he not have waited until Russell returned from vacation? Too many of us are still voting for blackship instead of leadership, thus we get the likes of Holland and Williams. One cannot be a bigot AND a leader.

THESOUTHLOST
THESOUTHLOST 05/12/07 - 11:05 am
TGULLEYJAZZ, you are what is

TGULLEYJAZZ, you are what is wrong with this country. You sorry, cowardly behind would not have the gutts to use the " N " word to a Black man's face. You are a moron. I am willing to bet you would not go down to the lower parts of the city, the south side nor any where else you see a black person and use that word. you are a small little PUNK.

More Americans traveling this holiday season

You might want to get a head start to Grandma's house this year. It appears more Americans - 98.6 million - will be traveling this holiday season than ever.