Augustan died in naval helicopter crash in Nevada

An Augusta man was among five Navy personnel killed this week in a helicopter crash in Nevada.

Cmdr. Michael D. Sheahan: Augusta man was among five Navy personnel killed this week in a helicopter crash in Nevada  Special
Special

Cmdr. Michael D. Sheahan, an Academy of Richmond County graduate and highly decorated aviator, was commander of Helicopter Anti-Submarine Squadron 7, known as the Dusty Dogs, the Navy said Wednesday.

The crash occurred Monday about 10 miles west of Austin, Nev., after the SH-60F Seahawk helicopter struck high-voltage lines, a spokesman at Fallon Naval Air Station in Nevada said.

Cmdr. Sheahan, 40, won many awards as a cadet at Richmond Academy and always aspired to become an aviator, said his father, Robert "Buster" Sheahan of Augusta.

"He was a sharp young man," Mr. Sheahan said.

"From the time he went on his first midshipman's cruise and flew a helicopter, that's what he wanted to be, and he did it," he said.

At Richmond Academy, he was the first junior to make cadet colonel and later excelled at The Citadel, where he was a member of the elite Old Four Corps and graduated in 1989 with a degree in civil engineering.

Cmdr. Shehan was born and spent his childhood in Augusta.

"He was born on St. Patrick's Day, March 17," his father said. "We always kidded him about the fact that when he was little he thought the parade downtown was all for him."

During his naval career, Cmdr. Sheahan accumulated more than 2,800 flight hours in the SH-3H and H-60B/F/H helicopters, according to his Navy biography.

His awards include the Joint Meritorious Service Medal, the Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medal with three gold stars, the Joint Service Achievement Medal and the Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal with two gold stars.

Cmdr. Sheahan was based at Jacksonville Naval Air Station, in Florida, where he lived with his wife, Kathleen, and their daughter, Makena and son, Aiden.

The Navy on Wednesday also released the names of four other Jacksonville-based crewmen killed in Monday's helicopter crash. They included:

- Lt. Richard Francis Andersen Jr., 27, of Virginia Beach, Va., a five-year Navy veteran.

- Petty Officer 1st Class William Weatherford, 30, of Wichita, Kansas, an 11-year Navy veteran.

- Petty Officer 2nd Class Jared John Rossetto, 24, of Corralitos, Calif., a five-year Navy veteran.

- Petty Officer 2nd Class Andrew Robert Bibbo, 22, of Clinton, Mass., a three-year Navy veteran.

Morris News Service reports were included in this story.

Reach Rob Pavey at (706) 868-1222, ext. 119, or rob.pavey@augustachronicle.com.

hcsredwolf
hcsredwolf 05/10/07 - 09:22 am
To the family of CDR.

To the family of CDR. Sheahan.... Please except my condolances on the loss of your husband, father and son. Though I never met the CDR. I had the chance to work closely with his squadron a few years back at NAS Fallon. They were a fine bunch of professionals. The CDR's death will be a great loss for Naval Aviation. Put it into a heavy hover CDR. you are in a better place now. Fair Winds and Following Seas.
USN (RET)

marien
marien 05/10/07 - 03:12 pm
My prayers to the family I

My prayers to the family I did not know him, but I thank you for allowing your son to protect our nation.

Beatlesfantoo
Beatlesfantoo 05/10/07 - 05:06 pm
Sincere condolences for this

Sincere condolences for this loss.
Rick and Peggy Ertz
Evans, GA
Patriot Guard Riders

bdjody
bdjody 05/10/07 - 10:56 pm
I was a year ahead of Mike at

I was a year ahead of Mike at Richmond Academy. We were in ROTC and on the drill team together. His friendship meant so much and his family was like my own. I will miss him. To Buster, Jackie and family: my deepest condolances on your loss.
Steve

ladybug74
ladybug74 05/10/07 - 11:16 pm
God bless his family!

God bless his family!

R G Ellison
R G Ellison 05/11/07 - 10:07 am
To Kathleen, Buster, Jackie

To Kathleen, Buster, Jackie and family. Please except my condolences on your loss of Michael.
Any thing I can do let me know, You were
always there for my son and his family. May God Bless you all

kepowe
kepowe 05/13/07 - 05:27 pm
Buster, Jackie, Angie,

Buster, Jackie, Angie, AnnMarie, and to Michael's wife and children. May God be with you in this time of sorrow. May you find strength and comfort that only He can give you. I remember very well, the parade story! And the time us kids were all in the "mustard yellow" van and it rolled down the hill. I have fond memories of our childhood. I feel blessed to have known Michael. May God Bless you all.
Kelly (Bridgers) Boland

ohsusannah
ohsusannah 05/21/07 - 11:32 pm
I went to school with Mike at

I went to school with Mike at ARC, was a JROTC sponsor, and was in school in Charleston when he was "Knob Sheahan" in his early Citadel days. I feel so lucky to have known such a good, fun, and hardworking person. I've no doubt that as a military leader he was not only respected, but genuinely liked, and found ways to make serving your country and doing very demanding work a complete delight. My condolences to Jackie, Buster, Ann Marie, Angie and to Michael's wife and children on this heartbreaking loss.

Sincerely,

Susan Bunn Rosen
Charlottesville, VA

DEVGRU
DEVGRU 11/17/08 - 09:12 pm
I have known this family most

I have known this family most of my life. They are a true american family. Very special to us all.

Search of alleged dealer's home found drugs, firearms