Williams says he has data from Russell's computer

Augusta Commissioner Marion Williams said Tuesday that he has obtained a copy of information on city Administrator Fred Russell's computer.

Mr. Williams filed a Freedom of Information request last week, and it remains under review by an outside attorney hired by the commission. However, Mr. Williams now said he doesn't really need it.

"I've got my information already," he said. "I have not exposed it. I have not looked into it yet. Right now we're wanting to make sure we're on legal ground."

Both Mr. Russell and Commissioner Joe Bowles said if the information was copied without having been "scrubbed" for personnel and legal matters, somebody broke the law. An administrator's computer would contain information that is confidential, and its release without permission could set up the city for a big lawsuit, Mr. Bowles said.

Mr. Williams said that's why he has avoided looking at the file. He said he certainly doesn't want to be censured by his colleagues as Commissioner Calvin Holland was last week.

"We're wanting to make sure we're on legal ground," he said. "I would not like to lose this one like they tried to get Calvin Holland. In fact, Calvin requested something he didn't get. So I want to make sure."

Commissioners censured Mr. Holland on a 6-3 vote last week for asking an assistant city information technology director for the hard drive from Mr. Russell's computer while Mr. Russell was on vacation.

Mr. Williams said the information was provided to him by "a professional."

"I had to go outside to do some things," he said.

"Just bear with me a little while," he said. "I'm making sure I'm within my rights as an elected official. I can't go into anybody's personal stuff, but anything that belongs to the city, and it belongs to the government, I can see."

Reach Sylvia Cooper at (706) 823-3228 or sylvia.cooper@augustachronicle.com.

aintryt
aintryt 05/09/07 - 04:34 am
"Just bear with me a little

"Just bear with me a little while" We've bore you long enough! Your rights as an elected official is to pay your overdue tax bills that exceed $2400. To vote for the good of the city of Augusta - not for your own agendas. To actually vote - not abstain. To promote racial harmony - not to constantly stir imaginary race issues. If you spent half the time taking care of what you should instead of playing king (or jester, depending on the eyes of the beholder) Augusta would be better off. Thank whoever that this is your last term!

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 05/09/07 - 04:44 am
Well said, aintryt! You hit

Well said, aintryt! You hit the nail on the head. The man just has to have the spotlight on himself.

wsm141
wsm141 05/09/07 - 05:01 am
Keep feeding him rope he'll

Keep feeding him rope he'll hang himself!

fugitivetracker
fugitivetracker 05/09/07 - 05:31 am
"I've got my information," so

"I've got my information," so Williams was in on it and should be censured also. Williams explain to me how the Freedom of Information Act apply's to something obtained illegally; your just an accomplice in a theft. Williams say's he hasn't looked at the file yet and then say's he's got his information and hasn't exposed it. Too bad the City has to put up with some commissioners.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 05/09/07 - 05:35 am
Why wasn't the legality of

Why wasn't the legality of obtaining the hard drive by the method Williams used varified before obtaining it? Marion is a dangerous fool that should have been ousted long ago. aintryt has it right, when Williams isn't a commisioner he'll be susceptible to criminal charges for his antics.

GACopperhead
GACopperhead 05/09/07 - 05:50 am
Whatever happened to the

Whatever happened to the investigation into how his family got information about the location of the "dragstrip" before it was released from being confidential. The info that led to purchace and registration of a restaurant with a racing inspired name? I remember that the push by Williams for the strip virtually ended when that info was released about him. He's a crook, a troublemaker, and has fewer braincells than, well, you fill in the blank.......

Waymore
Waymore 05/09/07 - 07:25 am
As an employee of this

As an employee of this dysfunctional family known as Richmond Co., all I can say is that Mr. Williams had better hope none of my personal, sensitive information is on that hard drive. Who the he** do you think you are, Mr. Williams, "to go outside to do some things?" Is the hard drive secure? It better be! My attirney has been notified. How can you breach security procedures to get what you want? How much money has Marion made by using his position of county commissioner, and how many times has that position been abused...remember a church sale and the purchase of land in the hopes of a drag strip?
If Russell is doing something wrong, fine, fire him. Being a county employee shouldn't require him to give up his constitutional rights. I wonder how much this "witch hunt" is going to cost the county? Even if he has violated policy, I would think that he has a pretty gounds to file a lawsuit. Marion is and idiot, and an embarrasment to the county. Can he be fired for vioating county policy, or does that only apply to the grunts. I would like to tell Marion where to go and what he can do to himself, but I think it's againt the terms of service! When is the GBI/FBI going to be called in?

kudzunroses
kudzunroses 05/09/07 - 07:58 am
lets see if I can post

lets see if I can post here....

Does_it_really_matter
Does_it_really_matter 05/09/07 - 07:58 am
Just another reason why

Just another reason why Augusta is the laughing stock in the state of Georgia. The majority of commissioners are singularly power-hungry. My hope is that if Williams "went outside" to have the hard drive of Administrator copied, that means that the city IT people did not provide the information to him. If this is so - he stole the information by hacking into the system or broke into the office of the administrator and stole the info. This is very sensitive information and he should be expelled from the commission and jailed for theft!

rj1960j10
rj1960j10 05/09/07 - 08:26 am
the guy is a hack. The only

the guy is a hack. The only thing is if he does have a copy of the drive or files, i would get my attorney and sue the whole bunch involved

Rosalind2051
Rosalind2051 05/09/07 - 08:44 am
If you give williams enough

If you give williams enough rope he will hang himself in the long run.

VickTheLiar
VickTheLiar 05/09/07 - 08:45 am
Marion the Fool Preacher

Marion the Fool Preacher Williams says God is on his side. LMAO what a Jerk.

KingJames
KingJames 05/09/07 - 08:48 am
Why would anyone want to tell

Why would anyone want to tell the world that they have something but they have to wait to tell us if it is legal for them to have it because of the means by which they acquired it? That just doesn't sound right to me. Williams is saying he did some things to get this hard drive, and now he wants to make sure he is on legal ground. That should have been the very first thing he did before he got it and publicly stated that he has it. I also don't understand what he hopes to find on the hard drive anyway. If anyone can tell me the answer to that without comparing past city personnel issues, then I would say Mr. Williams might actually be onto something that might benefit the city. If not, then he is spinning wheels for no reason and wasting time.

NoSocialism
NoSocialism 05/09/07 - 08:56 am
I am so tired of MW, he just

I am so tired of MW, he just likes to dig up dirt on anyone who might oppose him on any issue.

ripjones
ripjones 05/09/07 - 09:13 am
If Mr. Williams'

If Mr. Williams' "professional" is a Augusta-Richmond County employee, then he or she, should fired on the spot. If it has been done by an outside entity, then Ronnie Strength should be taken to task to arrest both the person, and Mr. Williams. Once again, due process is not being followed. Mr. Holland was censured because he tried to go around the proper channels. Mr. Williams has done something much worse. Unfortunately, the Mayor has no power to do anything in this matter. He would not even provide me Mr. Holland's email address. This is getting out of hand, and someone needs to stop it. I just don't know who has jurisdiction.

jmoval
jmoval 05/09/07 - 09:22 am
Predictable

Predictable

THESOUTHLOST
THESOUTHLOST 05/09/07 - 09:22 am
None of you know how Williams

None of you know how Williams got his information, yet some are calling for a police investigation. I thought you had to be charged or at least had elements of a crime prior to an investigation or charges. I guess that does not apply when you want Williams. I did not hear half of these people saying a word when Woody Merry kept filing those harassing lawsuits. I guess it is okay for the Austin Rhodes of the world to request information under The Freedom of Information Act but not Williams?

jack234
jack234 05/09/07 - 09:25 am
Marion williams antics don't

Marion williams antics don't even deserve comments. How in the world was he ever elected in the first place. He is a disgrace to Augusta. What about doing the business he was elected to do.
The paper shouldn't even cover his antics anymore. He must have a scrapbook full of clippings. His head should be examined. Shame on the people who put him in office. Do they really need all this drama?

jmoval
jmoval 05/09/07 - 09:27 am
Can't look at Fred's

Can't look at Fred's Haddrive, just everyone else's. If one of you were fired and you knew that the person who fired you were doing the same thing, you would hope that someone would check into that person data the same way they did you.
I no some of ya'll are going to pretend that you can't understand this logic , but you do.

my2cnts
my2cnts 05/09/07 - 09:29 am
Williams should immediately

Williams should immediately be sued to turn over what he has, and to reveal how he obtained it. He should also be charged with theft. The fact that he has it now is proof that it was obtained illegally. Williams has not been granted permission under his Open Records act request, so therefore; he obtained the information illegally. For example; if I were to write a letter to my neighbor and ask if I could take his lawn mower and then went to his house and took the lawn mower before he answered my request, that is stealing, period. Also, if a friend went with me and helped to carry the lawn mower; the friend would be guilty as an accomplice. Williams and his "professional" should both be charged. This event may be exactly what the people of Augusta need to get rid of this clown Williams once and for all.

jkt
jkt 05/09/07 - 09:37 am
Next why doesn't the

Next why doesn't the Commission ask for a copy of Russell's medical records, family history and anyother information that is protected by the rights of privacy. Give me a break. Just remember Augusta, you voted for Williams and Holland even when you knew they were two of the biggest idiots in the county. It has all boiled down from the actions taken by the city attorney. Even though he had "justified" reasons for reveiwing his subordinates computer. Like JR Hatney stated last week "it has to do with what color you are!" And if I do say, doesn't IT have ways to monitor networked computers from their own systems? Oh maybe Williams actually wants to make it appear he is doing something.

butterflygina
butterflygina 05/09/07 - 09:44 am
Marion Wiliams is a

Marion Wiliams is a big-mouthed [filtered word], an idiot as well as one of the most ignorant folks I have known. He needs to shut up or be made to shut up. There is no forgiveness for his level of stupiditity.

Waymore
Waymore 05/09/07 - 09:48 am
SouthLost, your idiot idol

SouthLost, your idiot idol said, and I quote...see if you can follow along..."I had to go outside to do some things." That means that he obtained the hard drive ILLEGALLY. I would be raising as much he!! if it was any other commissioner. There is a thing called "Due Process" in this country. Based on what your idiot idol admitted, there should be an immediate investigation. The courts can decide guilt or innocence, but it appears that there is Probable Cause to investigate. I know I used legal terms that you probably aren't familiar with, but they are concepts that this country is supposed to adhere to.

jack234
jack234 05/09/07 - 09:49 am
Marion needs to take up some

Marion needs to take up some new hobbies: Hooked on Phonics, thinking, silence.

MJDW
MJDW 05/09/07 - 10:10 am
What Probable Cause? Just

What Probable Cause? Just because one county employee was working outside of the county on county time? Thank you Lord for this being Marion's last run.

september 5th
september 5th 05/09/07 - 10:10 am
i am not a fan of marion wms

i am not a fan of marion wms but i will say this: if fred russell had been given the chance to turn his computer records in voluntarily he would have brought in a "professional" to clean up the personal stuff...we need idiots like marion wms to keep things open and out in plain view..how many of you on this posting board has ever had a friend do you a favor-- be it getting help in acquiring a job, getting a traffic ticket fixed,etc. it is obvious that there are some strange and wrong doings happening in richmond county government...the problem is widespread (remember charles larke, charles walker, robin williams, etc)...marion keep on talking and eventually the smelly rat will be found..only then will augusta prosper --when all the dead rats are exposed...if fred russell had nothing to hide he would have voluntarily said "look at my computer"......evil flourishes when those who know what is going on wrong keep silent!

rt1523c
rt1523c 05/09/07 - 10:30 am
"'I had to go outside to do

"'I had to go outside to do some things,' he said." Sounds like he found someone on the outside who hacked into the Richmond County network and got the information that way. If so, I have to ask, "[filtered word]?"

jack234
jack234 05/09/07 - 10:46 am
Marion Williams wouldn't

Marion Williams wouldn't recognize a hard drive if it fell on his
head, which it probably did.

ForHim
ForHim 05/09/07 - 11:14 am
He has "avoided" looking at

He has "avoided" looking at the file ... to make sure he is on legal ground????? alRIGHTy then!

THESOUTHLOST
THESOUTHLOST 05/09/07 - 11:19 am
RAPTUS,First of all you do

RAPTUS,First of all you do not know me, also I would never vote for Williams because I do not support SOME of the things he does. Having said that, I believe in the system, Let it work. I know what Due Process and I know what an a hole is too. It is people like you, that needs to call people names in order to make themselves feel better. So, lets try it your way, GIRLY PERSON. By the way a-hole I do not need an IDOL, you may need someone to tell you how to think.

'Go Downtown' initiative gets mixed reviews

The "Go Downtown" initiative aims to foster a downtown environment that welcomes the college community and creates business for merchants. The event is held every third Thursday of the month ...