Across the area

Masked man robs employee

An employee of an Augusta maternity store was robbed as she was making the night deposit at a nearby Wachovia Bank.

The woman and a man were making the night drop for Motherhood Maternity at the bank at 3440 Wrightsboro Road when a man ran out of the bushes and held them at gunpoint, according to a Richmond County Sheriff's Office report.

The man was wearing black clothing, a black ski mask and had a silver handgun, the report said.

He ran away after taking the money, the report said.

Officials will discuss school bomb threats

A special meeting has been called to discuss the rash of bomb threats in Richmond County schools.

There have been more than 100 bomb threats in Richmond County this school year. At some schools, there have been multiple threats in a single day.

Interim Superintendent James Thompson, school board Director of Public Safety Julia Porter-Stein, senior school officials, judges, law enforcement and members of emergency management organizations will discuss solutions to the growing problem.

The meeting will be held at 2 p.m. Tuesday in the school board's offices, 864 Broad St., and is open to the public.

Ribbon-cutting will be held at cemetery

A ribbon-cutting ceremony will be held at 6 p.m. Thursday at the Summerville Cemetery on Fitten Street.

The ceremony will be held by the Sand Hills Neighborhood Association.

After the ceremony, the association will hold its 19th anniversary celebration at the Sand Hills Community Center, 2540 Wheeler Road.

For more information, call (706) 842-1912.

Candidates will attend forum in Grovetown

Columbia and Richmond County voters can meet the candidates for the 10th Congressional District race and candidates for Georgia Senate District 24 on Thursday in Grovetown.

The Grovetown Merchants Association is holding the forum at Grovetown's new Liberty Park Community Center, 1040 Newmantown Road, at 6:30 p.m.

americansexy28
americansexy28 05/06/07 - 11:48 pm
that is a really a strange

that is a really a strange robbery.now this had to be a set up. how did the robber just know that they would be there that night at that time. tell those two employers to give up that damn loot!!!!

peonynut
peonynut 05/07/07 - 05:59 am
Because you idiot they

Because you idiot they probably made the deposit the same time every night but I do agree that it does sound fishy.

Amy
Amy 05/07/07 - 07:52 am
I have an idea.... why not

I have an idea.... why not make the deposits during the day at different times? Noone says the deposits have to be made after hours. Vary your schedule, therefore if it's not an inside job, you should be pretty safe..

wise
wise 05/07/07 - 07:57 am
Or the robber was waiting on

Or the robber was waiting on a random target and he just happen too find one.

wise
wise 05/07/07 - 07:57 am
Or the robber was waiting on

Or the robber was waiting on a random target and he just happen too find one.

LEO
LEO 05/07/07 - 08:03 am
It doesn't take rocket

It doesn't take rocket science to figure out that if you hide in the bushes by the night deposit at the bank, that eventually someone will come along to make a deposit. What is fishy about that? The banks need better security, i.e., cutting the bushes, better lighting; and employees who make their deposits at night need to use common sense - lock their doors if they are at a drive-up deposit drop box, and scan the area and look out for strange figures. I'm not sure I understand why businesses make night deposits anyway. It's not like the bank can credit the money right then.

mgray
mgray 05/07/07 - 08:09 am
If I were a business owner, I

If I were a business owner, I think I'd invest in a heavy safe and leave the day's receipts inside the safe until normal banking hours. Although it's possible that it's an inside job - it's also possible that a career criminal would hide near a night drop and catch a victim. At any rate, it's sad when a thief just takes something someone else worked hard to earn. Sad times indeed.

NEone
NEone 05/07/07 - 08:21 am
People make night deposits so

People make night deposits so they don't have the cash lying around overnight. Once the money is in the bank, it's safer than in a locked safe off the bank's premises.

abatchelor
abatchelor 05/07/07 - 08:32 am
This really offends me that

This really offends me that these people think that this was set up..Ive been working there for a week and yes the deposit is made the same time every SATURDAY night. The night drop was made after the mall closes becuase the mall closes the same time every night, excuse me for making mall hours! Thank you for those who understand..bc being held at gunpoint and knowing that this guy will never be caught really makes me sick, and i would like to know what is so idioctic about doing your job? i didnt know putting money in the bank was so freaking stupid? And i would like for some of these people to shut up until their husband has had a gun held in their face, and it just happens that the ONE night this happens, I thank God that my little 6month old daughter was not in the back of the car. So for those of you who comment, you put yourself in the damn situation.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 05/07/07 - 09:10 am
Well said, abetchelor.

Well said, abetchelor.

jed
jed 05/07/07 - 09:23 am
Do him the same way the Army

Do him the same way the Army Captain solved his problem. Shoot his [filtered word].

Does_it_really_matter
Does_it_really_matter 05/07/07 - 09:44 am
Calling the police and asking

Calling the police and asking for an escort is standard operating procedures in many communities...it helps in 2 ways. 1. Thugs see the cops and know that they are around 2. Less likely for a robbery, less work for the police to ultimately do. The law enforcement community would much prefer to deter crime than to have solve crime.

wise
wise 05/07/07 - 10:12 am
Does it really matter Try

Does it really matter Try that in our community and you might get a laugh as a response.

Amy
Amy 05/07/07 - 10:12 am
Abetchelor... if what i said

Abetchelor... if what i said offended you, i certainly apologise, that was not my intention. And i have been in that situation before. However, the company you work for should make arrangements for your safetly. ie: mall security or law enforcement. I am thankful your daughter was not in the car. In reference to the "inside job" comment... It happens.... We read about it every day in the news...

my2sense
my2sense 05/07/07 - 11:01 am
I am so tired of idiots

I am so tired of idiots robbing people. I guess these criminals didnt read the story where a robber was killed last week. I thought that would slow them down but everyday there is more nonsense in the paper . My thoughts and prayers are with the two people that got robbed near the mall. Abatchelor, you really put a lot of things into perspective- your comments were right on time-- thank u 4 them. That robber got lucky this time because maybe next time since we know he will be lurking, folks will be packin' and next time he may not be fortunate enough 2 walk away. ATTENTION ROBBERS! CITIZENS R FED UP AND WE R NOT GONNA TAKE IT ANYMORE

mgray
mgray 05/07/07 - 11:33 am
Hey NEone - you are correct

Hey NEone - you are correct in saying that $$$ is safe once it's in the bank - you seem to be missing the point. The money did NOT make it into the bank before some thug held up this employee at gunpoint. Shame on this merchant for not providing security if they insist on making regular deposits on the same day/time every week. Criminals make a career out of taking from others. I don't think everybody who commented believes it is an inside job - some do believe that and some believe that it is a possibility because you do hear of that type of crime of convenience being committed. At any rate, the money was STOLEN and a couple was terrified by having a gun held on them. I still believe a heavy safe inside of the store is safer for the employees - if someone breaks in after hours at least no life is at risk and the cash would be harder to get out of a locked safe than snatched at gunpoint endangering a human being!!! That's all I was trying to say. thanks!

abatchelor
abatchelor 05/07/07 - 12:40 pm
well like i said this is my

well like i said this is my first week at the job and i was doing what i was told and i also made the assumption that in taking my husband with me i would be safer. But both our lives were put in danger over some money. I wish people would think before they could make assumptions. Im sorry to attack, but when i wake up from over the weekend and im still trying to get over the shock that i almost got to see my husband get shot and im still alive to see my daughter, it just hurts when people think its a setup and we were truly put in danger, and not because we are stupid but because i was simply doing my job.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 05/07/07 - 01:06 pm
I am sorry about what

I am sorry about what happened to you abatchelor. You were just doing your job. I have never understood why employers make night drops these days. We should be able to make them at night, we should be safe in our own homes but it just isn't ever going to happen. It's just getting worse and worse in this community. You did nothing wrong and I'm sorry this piece of crap put your family through this. And you are right, I would have felt safer with my husband too, but there is nothing you can do with a gun in your face. Maybe we all should start packing!! We need tougher laws to keep these guys behind bars, I'm sure he's been there before, and keep the [filtered word] from doing it again!!!! This town is sick of you lowlifes!!!! Maybe the next person you rob will be packing too and he will be your last victim!!!

Drama Mamma
Drama Mamma 05/07/07 - 01:41 pm
Abatchelor yes thank god your

Abatchelor yes thank god your baby was not there just goes to show you never know what to exspect from people these days seems like when people post on here always seems they want to be judgemental... GET A LIFE PEOPLE A GIRL GETS A GUN IN HER FACE AND ALL YOU WANT TO DO IS POINT THE FINGER.....

a2
a2 05/07/07 - 03:06 pm
It is odd that an employee of

It is odd that an employee of one week would be allowed to drop the night deposit.

intheknow
intheknow 05/07/07 - 03:32 pm
if she is trusted to be an

if she is trusted to be an employee, I think she would be trusted to drop money.

SilentJ
SilentJ 05/07/07 - 03:59 pm
Abatchelor I am glad you and

Abatchelor I am glad you and your husband are both safe and that your child was not with you guys.Dont pay any attention to all of the negative comments you know what they say about opinions...........they are like A holes a everybodys got one.Carry some mace they make the bottle small enough to attatch to your key chain.

a2
a2 05/07/07 - 06:48 pm
right back at you silent j.

right back at you silent j. There are some nasty mouth people posting here.