Across the area

Standoff: Police try to coax man from apartment

Authorities late Thursday night were trying to coax out a man barricaded inside his west Augusta apartment after an exchange in which he threatened to shoot a sheriff's deputy, according to Richmond County sheriff's Lt. Robert Partain.

A deputy was dispatched to Central West Villas on Bertram Road at 10:11 p.m. for a noise complaint.

When he knocked on a door at the apartment complex, a man inside threatened him and the deputy heard the sound of what he believed to be a gun cocking, Lt. Partain said.

The man, whom authorities couldn't immediately identify, was believed to be armed and alone inside the apartment.

SWAT personnel was on the scene.

One dead in I-20 collision

The South Carolina Highway Patrol is investigating a fatal wreck that occurred on Interstate 20 about 2:30 a.m. Thursday near the Graniteville exit, according to Aiken County Chief Deputy Coroner Darryl Ables.

Gary M. McLeod Jr., 40, was killed when his Ford F-150 was struck by a McKee Foods Corp. tractor-trailer in the eastbound lanes of the interstate, according to a South Carolina State Patrol statement.

The victim suffered severe fire injuries and was identified by dental records, according to a press release from the coroner's office.

Investigators believe the pickup truck was parked or moving at a very slow rate of speed in the outside lane of the interstate when the tractor trailer, driven by 49-year-old Scott Carvaugh, struck the vehicle, causing it to burst into flames.

Neither Mr. Carvaugh nor his passenger, Gary Reeves, of East Ridge, Tenn. were injured, the release said.

Man wanted for April robbery still missing

Police are still seeking a man in connection with the robbery of a married couple on Gordon Highway last week.

Santonio Walker, 19, and his brother Robert Terrell Walker, 18, were accused in the April 25 attack of a man and his wife in their car while they drove along Gordon Highway.

Robert Terrell Walker, 18, was arrested on Monday.

Student, 16, charged with molestation

A 16-year-old Richmond County Alternative School student was charged with child molestation after being accused of forcing a fellow student to touch his genitals on a school bus.

A 12-year-old girl said the boy sat next to her with his genitals exposed, a sheriff's report said. She said he then forced her head onto his genitals.

Investigator Tim Rzasa said another student on the bus has said the act was consensual.

The 16-year-old was charged as a juvenile.

83-year-old is cut in struggle with intruder

An 83-year-old man was slashed on his left arm during a fight with a burglar Wednesday afternoon, a Richmond County sheriff's report said.

The man came home about 3:45 p.m. in the 3400 block of Peach Orchard Road to find a man hiding in his dining room, the report said. He hit the intruder in the head and was cut three times.

The suspect, described as in his 20s, stole $25 and fled the scene.

Couple die in wreck with tractor-trailer

A husband and wife were killed Tuesday in a wreck on Tom C. Carr Highway near Sandersville, Ga., according to Georgia State Patrol Trooper Tyler Harris.

The accident happened about 9:24 a.m. when Robert Vaughn Veal, 54, and Julia Roberts Veal, 60, pulled in front of a tractor-trailer while attempting to cross the median, Trooper Harris said.

The driver of the tractor-trailer truck was not injured.

Superintendent will speak about system

Dr. Steven Ballowe, the superintendent of Gainesville City Schools, will make two public presentations in Richmond County on his education system May 11.

The approach, which President Bush and Georgia's governor have lauded, is founded on public accountability, empowering parents, school choice and a system-wide magnet school program.

The first session will be held from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and will target Richmond County school administrators. The second, for parents, will be from 1-2:30 p.m. The public is invited to both, which will be held at the school board's central offices, 864 Broad St.

Candidates to speak during group's forum

Columbia and Richmond County voters will get a chance to meet the 10 candidates for the 10th Congressional District race and candidates for Georgia Senate District 24 May 10 in Grovetown.

The Grovetown Merchants Association is holding the forum for the June 19 special elections at Grovetown's new Liberty Park Community Center, 1040 Newmantown Road, at 6:30 p.m.

Businesses help food bank raise thousands

The Golden Harvest Food Bank raised $211,000 in this year's "Taste of the Harvest."

The amount came from Windsor Jewelers, individual raffle sales and significant corporate support.

Wine festival in Evans to feature live music

The second annual CSRA Wine Festival will be held from 1-4 p.m. Saturday in Evans Town Center Square on North Belair Road.

The festival includes food, live music and more than 100 wines to sample. Tickets cost $30 and $15 for designated drivers. No one under 21 will be admitted, and a photo ID must be shown at the entrance.

ASU jazz band to perform at Riverwalk

The Augusta State University Conservatory Jazz Band will perform from 8-9:30 p.m. Sunday as part of the Candlelight Jazz Concert Series.

The concert will be held at the Eighth Street bulkhead at Riverwalk Augusta. Admission is $6. For more information, call (706) 821-1754.

- From staff reports

happythoughts
happythoughts 05/04/07 - 07:02 am
I-20 collision, lights are on

I-20 collision, lights are on at night, if the driver of the tractor-trailer truck had his eyes on the road he should have seen the other truck. Something (engineering) needs to be done on this highway to get drivers out of auto pilot in this area.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 05/04/07 - 08:01 am
Well I 20 is not a parking

Well I 20 is not a parking lot.

happythoughts
happythoughts 05/04/07 - 08:09 am
Beach Music, why not go

Beach Music, why not go around the truck. You know he didn't see him, right! He didn't ram him intentionally, right!

janet58
janet58 05/04/07 - 08:17 am
When I left Augusta almost 15

When I left Augusta almost 15 (WONDERFUL) years ago-- it was pretty much pure DAY-light at 9:24 am.... have things changed there THAT much? And maybe I missed it- but where in the article does it say the "trucker" was at fault? or that he failed to have his lights on???

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM... PLEASE don't tell me that the online articles are "condensed", while the print articles carry the more pertinent informaton?????

SAY IT AIN'T SO!!!!!

happythoughts
happythoughts 05/04/07 - 08:34 am
Janet58, hopefully you can

Janet58, hopefully you can comprehend what you read. If not, re-read it!

dispatch
dispatch 05/04/07 - 08:53 am
I agree with Janet 58. It was

I agree with Janet 58. It was daylight when the accident happened, therefore, even if there were street lights it would not have made a difference. I think its "Happythoughts" that needs to re-read it!

tiredparent
tiredparent 05/04/07 - 09:04 am
I quess all of you need to

I quess all of you need to re-read the article, it states the accident happened at 2:30 A.M. At 2 in the morning it is dark, the trucker should have had his eyes on the road. Who knows maybe the tuck was having mechanical problems, as to why it was stopped.

happythoughts
happythoughts 05/04/07 - 09:07 am
To all of you readers, we

To all of you readers, we were stating the I-20 accident. Please quit reading!!!!

crabcakesandfootball
crabcakesandfootball 05/04/07 - 09:59 am
I would like to ask one

I would like to ask one question, is it me or is the crime in Richmond County out of control? Seems to get worse as each day passes. Happy Friday, and Godbless everyone.

kudzunroses
kudzunroses 05/04/07 - 10:00 am
UHHH two different wreaks

UHHH two different wreaks going on here you guys........

Unbelievable
Unbelievable 05/04/07 - 10:29 am
Yes, it really does wreak in

Yes, it really does wreak in here.

AugKitty
AugKitty 05/04/07 - 11:20 am
Thanks for the laugh

Thanks for the laugh Unbelievable, I am still laughing out loud. You are right, it does wreak around here!!!!

jdcooper
jdcooper 05/04/07 - 11:26 am
Also... it says the wreck

Also... it says the wreck happened at the GRANITEVILLE exit... that's 11 miles into S.C. Nowhere near the lights alongside the interstate. Like the other comment said.... I-20 is NOT a parking lot.

happythoughts
happythoughts 05/04/07 - 12:26 pm
If you are driving the

If you are driving the interstate at night I hope you have your car lights on so others can see you. Why are you thinking street lights? That doesn't make sense. There are two lanes so you can pass. So why should someone get hit from behind? Maybe they slowed for some reason and was being cautious. People that are driving need to focus on the road and watch out for others and what could happen like tires blowing out or animals trying to cross roads.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 05/04/07 - 12:47 pm
Crimewatch it's not just you.

Crimewatch it's not just you. I have been saying that too. It seems like the past 2 years have become almost unbearable. Not safe goin to the store, driving, or even in our own homes. They need to start giving these jerks more harsh sentences. Most of them have a long rap sheet but are on our streets again anyway. Lets get the dealth penalty rolling full force...maybe that will deter them since nothing else will. Our police officers do all they can do legally our law makers need to make changes!! I am sick of it! I commend everyone who uses any means of force necessary to protect them selves and their families from these lowlifes. Keep it up!!!

sueboo418
sueboo418 05/04/07 - 01:01 pm
You don't know all the

You don't know all the circumstances happy thoughts, tractor trailers can not stop on a dime. Sounded like the other vehicle was having problems so possibly it's lights were not on. My car died on me in the middle of an intersection one night and when that happens ahhh, everything quits including your lights. I did read the article and it said that the vehicle was either parked or going very slow so it is very possible that the tractor trailer driver did not see him until it was too late to do anything. There could have been 3 deaths instead of one so be thankful it wasn't any worse than it was.

merlin
merlin 05/04/07 - 01:44 pm
Why does everyone want to

Why does everyone want to blame everyone else? Things happen that NO ONE can control. Love don't hate!

WorriedAboutOurFuture
WorriedAboutOurFuture 05/04/07 - 05:28 pm
I drive that part of I-20

I drive that part of I-20 several times each week, and on several occasions I have been driving well over the 70 mph speed limit only to have some semi tailgating me so that he wouldn't have to slow down before traffic in the left lane allowed him to go around me. It is a common occurance, and it's deadly. From my own experience, the idea that a trucker didn't see a parked truck--could it have broken down unexpectedly? --doesn't surprise me a bit, especially in the wee hours of the night when drivers are usually tired or buzzing on some kind of stimulant.

Inkjet
Inkjet 05/04/07 - 06:09 pm
'84 year old man shoots

'84 year old man shoots would-be intruder' reads the headline, well that's number three. Things always happen in threes, and this is the third shooting of an intruder incident, but usually there is a little more time between incidents, these all happened within a few days of each other!

betterme706
betterme706 05/04/07 - 11:43 pm
that is good hey robbers or

that is good hey robbers or would be robbers get the hint people are no longer playing stay out of other peoples yards and homes or u might be killed just watch out whos house u decide to rob self defense is a great motive to take your life when u enter something that is not yours espically when someone worked hard for it!!
great job home owners keep up the great job atleast u know u r teaching them a lesson if they live because the court system won't it is about time to take things into our own hands screw our courts they don't work!!!

janet58
janet58 05/05/07 - 05:50 am
OOOOPS!! MY BAD!! I thought

OOOOPS!! MY BAD!! I thought we were talking about the OTHER accident! I smacked myself so you wouldn't have to worry about whether or not I'd been disciplined for my irresponsible behavior!

Meanwhile, sweetie, I sincerely think you should consider seeing a therapist. They can help you resolve some of your personal issues. And they can help you work through your "smartassitis" (pronounced smart [filtered word] itis!)

Ahhhhhh.. I feel better now..............