News |   Obits |   Sports |   Business |   Opinion |   Things to Do |   Life |   Blogs |   Photos |   Video |   Data |   Jobs |   Homes |   Autos |   Buy/Sell

'Ryan B' counters slander lawsuits

A local talk radio host facing numerous slander lawsuits responded with court filings of his own Thursday, while challenging those who filed suit.

Documents filed on behalf of Rejoice Inc. and Brian L. "Ryan B" Doyle warn the plaintiffs that if their lawsuits aren't dropped within 30 days, Mr. Doyle and the station owners will seek attorney fees and court costs from the plaintiffs.

Richmond County Sheriff Ronnie Strength, the Rev. Kenneth Martin, the Rev. Charles N. Utley, the Rev. Clarence Moore, former Augusta Commissioner Bobby G. Hankerson and bank executive Cedric Johnson have filed separate Richmond County Superior Court lawsuits against Mr. Doyle and the owners of radio station WAAW 94.7.

Each of the lawsuits claims that Mr. Doyle slandered them with false on-air accusations.

In response to the lawsuits that were filed by the Rev. Utley, the Rev. Martin and the Rev. Hankerson, the defendants counter: "Defendant Doyle's activism is seen as a threat by many wealthy powerful people who do not wish their dealings to be exposed to the light of day.

"Plaintiff and several other members of the elite power structure or those who do their bidding have conspired to bring numerous lawsuits against these defendants in an effort to burden defendants financially and quiet defendant Doyle's struggle to expose corruption and unify the minority community.''

The defendants maintain that the lawsuits are an abusive use of the courts and are "the actions of a cowardly, dishonest, racist, broadcaster named Rhodes who has fomented these lawsuits and who defendants hope to add as a party to this litigation."

Austin Rhodes, who has a talk radio show on WGAC-AM in Augusta, sued Mr. Doyle for slander in Aiken County Common Pleas Court. Mr. Rhodes won the case when Mr. Doyle did not respond to the legal complaint.

Mr. Doyle and the station owners have not yet responded to either the Rev. Moore or Mr. Johnson's suits.

In response to Sheriff Strength's, the defendants are asking the judge to disqualify his attorney, E. Freddie Sanders, claiming that as a former deputy sheriff he is a potential witness.

Reach Sandy Hodson at (706) 823-3226 or sandy.hodson@augustachronicle.com.

FOR THE RECORD

View court documents pertaining to lawsuits against local radio talk show host Brian L. "Ryan B." Doyle.

Document Page 1

Document Page 2

Document Page 3

Document Page 4

Document Page 5

Adobe Reader is required to view or print .pdf the file. Get the free Adobe Acrobat software

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 05/04/07 - 04:50 am
Hmmmm, I smell money!

Hmmmm, I smell money! Somewhere, somehow, someway, somebody thinks they're going to make some money out of this and that's why they're coming to the aid of Ryan B. The lawyers aren't just circleing the wagons to protect him, they want something in return. You know, I'm starting to wish that Ryan B. and Austin Rhodes should just get together and meet out behind some building and just whoop-up on each other! They obviously hate each other, so why not just keep all of us from reading/hearing about it and just settle it, man to man? Well, I guess that'd take 2 men, and there's only one of them "man" enough. I can't tell if this is all getting old or if it's getting interesting?

SANTA CLAUS JR
SANTA CLAUS JR 05/04/07 - 05:25 am
who is ryan b;some rapper;rap

who is ryan b;some rapper;rap is crap wiyhout the c(copy right 1983) this is ll kool aid-my rap name ha ha ;austin is now gonna be austin r.;i say get rosie odonnel and donald trumph and sell out the civic center it isn't being used;have a tag team match ;loser leaves augusta;pay for view;dancing girls the whole deal;lets do this up right;don't do drugs stay in school-unless youre 16 in the 3rd grade

Does_it_really_matter
Does_it_really_matter 05/04/07 - 05:35 am
Isn't it interesting that all

Isn't it interesting that all of the people suing Ryan B were told to do so by Mr. Rhodes? Isn't it also interesting that the comments that were deemed slander by all suing are on tape and are there for all to hear. But Ryan B just screams racism and expects all this to go away. I have listened to Ryan B's show and it seems to me that if the racism shoe would fit anyone, it is Ryan B. Everyone that does not believe that African-Americans are being put down by the system is a racist, Uncle Tom or a part of the system. It just all seems very interesting and entertaining to me. The sad part is that a good radio station will probably be shut down after all the legal action is over. They won't have the money to keep operating because of the bankruptcy they will have to file for damages. Forget everyone else, Sheriff Strength will own a major part of that station from his slander suit as will Mr. Rhodes. It is very sad that Ryan B is going to cost the station this much because he doesn't understand the law pertaining to slander and that one must have facts before stating claims on the air.

Dedicated
Dedicated 05/04/07 - 06:45 am
Someone doing anything

Someone doing anything because Autism Rhodes tells them to is down right scary.

Khaaaaaan
Khaaaaaan 05/04/07 - 07:10 am
Who believes a convicted

Who believes a convicted Federal felon who still owes the government half a million in restitution? Lyin RyanB is a joke, and he is about to get his fanny handed to him on a platter.

zipper
zipper 05/04/07 - 07:19 am
Does the Chronicle have an

Does the Chronicle have an editor anymore? That was one of those articles that was so poorly written it was hard to follow.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 05/04/07 - 07:22 am
Without the constant

Without the constant slanderous barrage from the Ryan B show, there would be no slander suits. I thought the threat to counter sue in an attempt to recoup lawer fees and expenses only came into play if one won the initial suit. Whoever is sponsering Ryan B either has a secret plan or a lot of unwanted money. Ultimately Ryan Bs employer is responsible for his on air actions.

Khaaaaaan
Khaaaaaan 05/04/07 - 07:34 am
Rhodes has already won his

Rhodes has already won his suit (against the station...the guy with the money) and the Sheriff has a slam dunk case as does one or two of the other guys. If any of this stuff ever gets to court, what Doyle says on the stand under oath will either get him incarcerated again (for perjury) or will be some of the funniest material ever heard. He takes what people whisper in his ear and puts it on the air without checking it out DAILY. Well, not so much any more. He has been burned too many times.

Does_it_really_matter
Does_it_really_matter 05/04/07 - 07:43 am
Any lawyer that would

Any lawyer that would represent Ryan B. is a bigger idiot than his or her client. Would any potential profits go to pay Ryans gov't bill? I think that Ryan B., his lawyer and his employer are some scary [filtered word] folks...

THESOUTHLOST
THESOUTHLOST 05/04/07 - 07:45 am
Austin Rhodes is a joke. Ryan

Austin Rhodes is a joke. Ryan B is a joke. Most of you keep the same BS going day to day. To NORTHGOTLUCKY. That is like saying the Yankees, Bulls, Lakers got lucky. If being ignorant to the facts help you sleep better at night, then so be it.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 05/04/07 - 07:54 am
It's all just a legal play in

It's all just a legal play in an attempt to scare some people into dropping their lawsuits. It's not going to work....

Khaaaaaan
Khaaaaaan 05/04/07 - 08:02 am
THESOUTHLOST refuses on

THESOUTHLOST refuses on virtually every thread to show where Rhodes has been wrong or has accused any innocent people of wrong doing. When a radio sales person from Clear Channel came to our business, I asked them if what AR said about his show having the most affluent and educated audience was true. She said "Yes...but what does that mean?" Well, if you are selling pimple cream or spinners, not much. AR gets crude and sometimes rude at times, but he hits the nail on politics in the CSRA. RyanB on the other hand, is clueless.

CKB
CKB 05/04/07 - 08:12 am
After listening to Austin for

After listening to Austin for years, I can say I have never heard him say anything on the air, that he has not checked out to be the truth. I have known Ronnie Strength for years. Give these men credit for having their facts straight. Both believe in the judicial system and would not do anything to waste the court's time over trivia. Ryan B needs to get out of town so we can make our area less offensive to eevryone. I hope Ronnie Strength is the one to snap the cuffs on him the last time. There would be a stronger sense of justice then. Hang in there- it will happen, it is just a matter of time.

donnachaidh
donnachaidh 05/04/07 - 08:18 am
The CSRA should be a Ryan B

The CSRA should be a Ryan B Free zone. For sure, if he keeps talking, then at least it will be a Ryan B Fee zone. He will keep attorneys in the area busy either trying him or defending him. People's reputations are not something you can just attack without careful investigation.

PantherPride
PantherPride 05/04/07 - 08:33 am
Maybe we should get their

Maybe we should get their harddrives!

eedsp
eedsp 05/04/07 - 08:40 am
It amazes me how Augusta is

It amazes me how Augusta is still divided along racial lines that have prevented the city from growing. Although I no longer live in Augusta, I still have family and friends there and I have fond memories of growing up there. Although this racial divide is not unique to Augusta, it appears to me that it has prevented Augusta from growing. Augusta is showcased every year during the Masters but I have yet to see any big corporation wanting to move there or an increase in the number of tourists. Shock jocks like Ryan B and Aurthur Rhodes don't want racial harmony because then they would not have anything to do. Augusta come together on issues that are really important to everyone in Augusta before you become a suburb of Atlanta.

Khaaaaaan
Khaaaaaan 05/04/07 - 08:43 am
"Aurthur Rhodes"? Yeah,

"Aurthur Rhodes"? Yeah, there is an informed observation.

cparker
cparker 05/04/07 - 08:45 am
My comment is not in support

My comment is not in support of Ryan B, but I feel it a little hypocritical that people see Ryan B's comments one way and choose to approve of Austin Rhodes racist comments. Ryan B really needs to think before he opens his big mouth! Austin Rhodes needs to explain why he thought it was funny when his caller recommended changing the MLK holiday to Ni--er Daddy Day without a challenge from Austin. Ryan B offers some interesting perspectives, but his has an offensive overtone that ruins his messages. Austin Rhodes is a racists.....he knows he is a racist, and the Augusta community knows he is a racist. Austin is comfortable calling black women nappy headed Ho's on air following the Imus incident because he knows with assurance he has a large racist following to support he racist ideology. If a black radio personality made routine racial or degrading remarks about white women, I feel the response would be different. It is no secret I don't care for Ryan B or Austin, but if Austin can participate in Ni--er jokes on air I really don't understand why anyone could be mad at Ryan B. They're both idiots and I personally feel Augusta does not need either of them.

Khaaaaaan
Khaaaaaan 05/04/07 - 08:50 am
I call BS on your Austin

I call BS on your Austin Ni**er story. I say it never happened.
AR didn't call but ONE black woman (the Duke raope accuser) a HO, and guess what, she WAS A HO! He also took up for two black teenage boys at Greenbrier High School when they were falsely accused of rape by three white girls. He called the three white girls "trampy little ho's". Seems to me he goes after everybody, no matter what color they are.

WW1949
WW1949 05/04/07 - 08:55 am
People with little to defend

People with little to defend always fire back with threats of seeking attorney fees and court costs to try and get the other party to drop their suit. Threats are all it is. Keep the pressure on Ryan B.

rj1960j10
rj1960j10 05/04/07 - 08:55 am
if the court documents state

if the court documents state austin is a racist, the dummy is gonna get sued again. It is harf to prove a person is a racist. But augusta being augusta, that is all the powers to be have. Keep the racial tension going. I for one do not listen to either one and dont care to.

wise
wise 05/04/07 - 09:10 am
Where is Kim706?????? I am

Where is Kim706?????? I am sure she has changed her display name. I thought she would be on here defending her boy filled with hate.

jmoval
jmoval 05/04/07 - 09:14 am
LOL @BuckyDog

LOL @BuckyDog

cparker
cparker 05/04/07 - 09:23 am
Khaaaaan!!! it did happen

Khaaaaan!!! it did happen because I used an advertisement company that posted my company's ad five minutes afterwards and I had to ask for my money back. Many people have great qualities only to have them overturned by a moment of indistretion. You are living in a fantasy if you fail to realize Austin is racist. Ryan B is no better. He talks about good religious news only to change into a monster later. I don't care if you think Austin is above being called racist, but call the station and make sure you are listening on the joke day. I can see Austin rolling all over the floor if you got good Ni--er joke. So don't pretend like you haven't never warned that Austin is very, very comfortable with such racial overtone along with his listening audience. You are overtaken by the idea of him being called a racist because you may not have heard that side of Austin yet. He doesn't try to hide stripes, just keep watching and the idiot that he is will appear. I don't like Ryan B, but Austin is much worst.

toppergem
toppergem 05/04/07 - 09:28 am
Ryan B and Austin Rhodes are

Ryan B and Austin Rhodes are both race baiters. They both spout racist garbage on their programs daily. And if that is what you like to listen to then so be it. However, after listening to both of the shows a couple of times I decided that kind of supidity was not what I wanted to hear and turned them both off. If more people would do the same there would be NOTHING left to be said about either of them because they would be gone from the air waves in a heartbeat.

Khaaaaaan
Khaaaaaan 05/04/07 - 09:36 am
Ethnic Joke Day is hugely

Ethnic Joke Day is hugely popular...and they play more redneck jokes than anything else. So yes, if you have a burr up your butt and don't appreciate EVERYONE getting lampooned, then you don't need to be listening. Ethnic Joke Day goes after everyone, but why is it only blacks have a problem with it? AR said on many occasions the reason to do it was to show that EVERYONE needs to lighten up. RyanB has called AK Hasan, Helen Blocker Adams, Freddie Handy, Bobby Hankerson, Steven Kendricks "uncle Toms" & "house negroes". He has called Joe Bowles and Andy Cheek "klansmen". And you say the jokes are worse?

alethia
alethia 05/04/07 - 09:45 am
HEY...HEY...HEY.....THESOUTHL

HEY...HEY...HEY.....THESOUTHLOST is back in true form today. Missed you yesterday....I was worried about your blood pressure. While sitting out in my garden underneath that big ole Magnolia Tree sipping on a mint julep. I thought....that boy sho nuff's gets all worked up.

mutt
mutt 05/04/07 - 09:52 am
Austin slams on everybody.

Austin slams on everybody. He's no racist, but he is a republican, so
his favorite targets are left wing wennies and socialist slim, and for
that he gets my vote. Ryan B. on the other hand is a straight up racist
bigot. He can hardly string together two sentences without saying black
or white. It seems like every thought is black good/white bad. He
claims to not degrade women "especially black women". #1 Why especially
black women? What makes a black woman better than any other woman?
#2 It's BS. When the white girls at GBHS were caught with the black
guys he called those girls "Hos". That's a fact...I heard him say it.
Also I heard him say "white women use sex to lure black men away. They
do things black women won't do, they just nasty. These black men better
wake up cause these white women gonna put em in prison". Also "White folks
are the devil, white people ain't nothing but devils". AR has never
said anything like that on the air. The First Amendment doesn't say you're free to
say only nice things, you can be ugly if you want to, but you can't
just go around lying on people. I can't see how anyone who has listened
to Ryan B. can defend him. He's one sick puppy.

Unbelievable
Unbelievable 05/04/07 - 10:11 am
What Ryan B did is called

What Ryan B did is called slander, and you can be held accountable for it. What Austin Rhodes is, is an idiot. I have listened to both shows, and frankly I cant take either one of them. I am suprised however that no one has ever walked up to either of these so called 'men' and punched them in the face. Ryan B tries to start issues by blurting out any stupid idea, or information, he has. Austin Rhodes makes idiotic comments, and then waits for the person he is talking about to call in, so he can bait them into an argument. Then he takes his little rehearsed script and tries to make the person look like a fool. They are both Scum. But the chick at the Duke party got paid for sex, and to strip, so that makes her a whore, or ho if you prefer.

marien
marien 05/04/07 - 10:40 am
This is what I think of

This is what I think of Austin Rhodes and Ryan B .................NOTHING.

Property tax jump OK'd

Augusta commissioners broke a seven-year trend Wednesday and agreed 7-0 to raise property taxes by 1.75 mills to cover a deficit and provide employees a small bonus.