Man is arrested in beating death

AIKEN - The Aiken County Sheriff's Office Thursday arrested a 21-year-old Aiken man in the beating death of his 81-year-old neighbor.

<p>Chad E. Williams: Neighbor arrested on murder and armed robbery charges in beating death of 81-year-old man.</p>  Special
Special

Chad E. Williams is in the Aiken County Detention Center on charges of armed robbery and murder in the death Tuesday of Hubert Ellis.

Lt. Michael Frank, the sheriff's office's spokesman, said it was unclear whether the two men knew each other, although Mr. Williams' home is about 100 yards from Mr. Ellis' mobile home on Duck Wood Lane, where his body was found Wednesday morning.

"You can see the subject's home from the victim's home," Lt. Frank said.

Investigators arrested Mr. Williams Thursday afternoon after an interview at the sheriff's office.

"Our investigation now clearly shows robbery was the motive in this case," Sheriff Michael Hunt said.

Mr. Ellis' son-in-law discovered the elderly man about 9 a.m. Wednesday. He was lying face down in the bathroom doorway of his home.

Aiken County Coroner Tim Carlton said preliminary autopsy results show that Mr. Ellis died of bleeding in the brain, the result of multiple head injuries.

Lt. Frank said that investigators are still trying to determine what the murder weapon was.

Reach Michelle Guffey at (803) 648-1395, ext. 110, or michelle.guffey@augustachronicle.com.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 05/04/07 - 03:45 am
Yeah, what a real man this

Yeah, what a real man this punk is! Beating to death a defenseless 81 year old man? It's bad enough the punk wanted to rob him, but kill him? I hope this punk gets life in prision because he sure doesn't need to be out on the streets with the rest of us. The kid doesn't care about nothing but himself. Better yet, let the kid go and let this old man's family get after him!

cricketflea
cricketflea 05/04/07 - 05:10 am
Sounds to me like he needs a

Sounds to me like he needs a beating!

kudzo-n-roses
kudzo-n-roses 05/04/07 - 05:21 am
Put this thug away forever!

Put this thug away forever!

justputtin
justputtin 05/04/07 - 05:23 am
Give HIM a beating, every day

Give HIM a beating, every day for a year, then go to prison.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 05/04/07 - 06:32 am
The elderly are easy victims

The elderly are easy victims for this kind of thug. This is the most dangerous part of aging in todays society. Think 2nd ammendment. A pistol isn't always the answer, but it sure can make a slow, weak, elderly person formidible. In the meantime, Chad Williams will never be anything but a dangerous sociopath. He should never be on the street again.

champagne
champagne 05/04/07 - 06:49 am
Could we wait till the guy is

Could we wait till the guy is convicted before we send him away for life? However, if/when he is convicted then give the victim's family 30 minutes with him and let him spend the rest of his days in solitary!!

happythoughts
happythoughts 05/04/07 - 06:55 am
How can any human being

How can any human being intentionally inflict bodily injuries on another especially on the head? Something is bad wrong with this person. Excuse me, did anyone know that he had a problem?

Amy
Amy 05/04/07 - 08:07 am
Now the question is... does

Now the question is... does the county have enough evidence to convict him without screwing it up? AND can the Solictors do their job and get a conviction? This I wonder, given the many cases in the past....... and of course the big question.... HOW LONG WILL THIS TAKE?

NoGoodReason
NoGoodReason 05/04/07 - 08:10 am
This boy is a COWARD who else

This boy is a COWARD who else would be more comfortable matching his physical ability at his age against someone old enough to be his great grandfather. They'll have a lot of fun in jail with him. Future boy toy for one of our current inmates. I wonder who the lucky guy will be; he'll think his won the jail house lottery... Ha-Ha You Deserver it PUNK, hopefully aleast for the next 60 years until he turns 81....

Jen2803
Jen2803 05/04/07 - 08:22 am
Honestly I was going to say

Honestly I was going to say he doesn't deserve to serve the rest of his days behind bars he deserves death for his crime but after reading NoGoodReason's post I agree one hundred percent. Let him be a boy toy for the rest of his life then maybe if he's lucky after the inmates tire of him he'll be beaten to death so he'll know exactly what that poor man went through. Hopefully they won't wait until he's 81 though.

onehotdog
onehotdog 05/04/07 - 08:36 am
Life in prison, he doesn't

Life in prison, he doesn't deserve that. Give hime the chair, or rope or whatever type death sentence SC has to offer.

fht610
fht610 05/04/07 - 08:47 am
String him up by his thumbs

String him up by his thumbs and flog him to death. Then bill his family for any and all expenses incurred by the state.

lottiembell
lottiembell 05/04/07 - 09:05 am
this is simply

this is simply horrible....I'm hurt, just because this victim lived to see 80 years old to have his life taken by greed or maybe a habit. How much money did this Chad E. Williams take? And was it actually worth this man's precious life...the mental moral of this act of crime is just sick!

marien
marien 05/04/07 - 09:49 am
My heart goes out to the

My heart goes out to the victim's family. This guy should be punished to the highest for such a crime that was not wroth it, they prey upon the elderly because they know that some are too weak to fight back. But don't let all elderly peolpe fool you some are arming themselves to protect their property by any means necessary.

alethia
alethia 05/04/07 - 10:03 am
Seems to me that violent

Seems to me that violent crimes are on the increase against the elderly. This young man is fairly clean cut, looking at his picture. I wonder if he had a record before this happened?

jdcooper
jdcooper 05/04/07 - 10:14 am
I hope he makes a lovely

I hope he makes a lovely bride in prison!

whitescorpion
whitescorpion 05/04/07 - 11:19 am
If guilty. Lock him up till

If guilty. Lock him up till he rots, or fry him!!!!

takecharge2
takecharge2 05/04/07 - 01:12 pm
Knowing our infamous legal

Knowing our infamous legal system, he will get a slap on the hand under the first offender or plea down to trespassing.

jmoval
jmoval 05/04/07 - 01:35 pm
meth

meth

NoGoodReason
NoGoodReason 05/04/07 - 03:23 pm
They say meth is the white

They say meth is the white man's crack, and in my personal opinion I think it's true... With that said that's even more reason to lock him up and throw away the key before he kills someone else next time he feels the need to get jacked up... Now it's his turn to be victimized for someone looking for an easy piece of [filtered word] or for their own selfish indulgence in jail what ever that may be….What comes around goes around.

nofrills
nofrills 05/04/07 - 04:10 pm
I want to know why his

I want to know why his girlfriend wasnt locked up for letting him in the house and why the sister wasnt questioned since they plan it at her house. Mr Ellis was helping the family, Some thanks to be beat to dealth. I hope they all burn in hell

cassierowerowe2006
cassierowerowe2006 05/04/07 - 04:33 pm
i knew this guy, grew up with

i knew this guy, grew up with him. glad i didnt go down the same road he did. but its still sad when you find someone you know do something so hateful.

Rose
Rose 05/04/07 - 05:54 pm
Let some punk break in my

Let some punk break in my house. I will blow them away!

Does_it_really_matter
Does_it_really_matter 05/04/07 - 08:56 pm
Scum, scum, scum!

Scum, scum, scum!

howulikemenow
howulikemenow 06/06/07 - 05:28 am
what goes around comes around

what goes around comes around crystal jackson....hope kathy young is arrested next. All of you can burn in hell !!!

Christmas Eve rains to dry up

If Wednesday seemed particularly wet and dreary, you would be right. The day broke the record for the wettest Christmas Eve that Augusta has ever had.