Stop the madness - stop the war

The Bush premise that the "surge" will make all the difference in turning Iraq into a democracy has resulted in a surge of troop deaths, and in April being one of the bloodiest months in the four-year war.

What kind of war is this? Has anyone been asked to ration gasoline, to buy bonds or to sacrifice anything but the American young? It is sad that the right-wingers demand we have victory, but do little to make it come about.

Where is the courage of the Republican leaders to face down President Bush and insist that we end the killing, and the spending of upward of $500 billion? Like children they blindly follow the leader, which will result in many more deaths and no democracy, but instead the schooling of more terrorists.

The Republican leadership must accept the consequences for their failure to understand, on the fourth anniversary of "Mission Accomplished," that the mission has failed. In fact, few Americans, because of all the lies and deceit, understand what the mission is really about, except to pat our soldiers on their backs and send them into a maelstrom leading to deaths of more Iraqis and soldiers. Even Gen. David Petraeus, who is the current savior, says "this is complex war" - meaning, surge or no surge, we are in trouble.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid was condemned for saying we lost the war. Can the Republicans say we are winning the war? Do they really think that more spending and more American lives will finally get the mission accomplished?

The American people have said that they want the war ended. The Republicans have failed to hear this dictum, and in future elections face gloom and doom. They have brought it upon themselves, but unfortunately on the backs of the dead and those yet to be buried.

Lowell Greenbaum, Augusta

(Editor's note: The writer is chairman of the Richmond County Democratic Party.)

farmer
farmer 05/04/07 - 12:25 am
I really expected more out of

I really expected more out of you than to use a worthless traitor like harry reid to make a point he would sacrifice his wife children and grandchildren to gather a few votes for the dem party he along with kennedy,dirtbag,shoemucker,murtha,peelosi, are the reason I switched parties.

Dedicated
Dedicated 05/04/07 - 01:57 am
Since his worthless rantings

Since his worthless rantings are coming, I might as well get my comments out of the way........ Cain is an Idiot!

_kpc_
_kpc_ 05/04/07 - 05:02 am
Can we keep this free of Cain

Can we keep this free of Cain ranting?

_kpc_
_kpc_ 05/04/07 - 07:41 am
What makes me against the 1st

What makes me against the 1st amendment? I'm just tired of the mindless ranting, I never said he couldn't do it.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 05/04/07 - 07:51 am
Ok Retired Army....I'll

Ok Retired Army....I'll refute the letter on one obvious twist. I'm tired of the left constantly throwing out the "mission accomplished" stab. The President never said that. The banner was hung by the crew of the USS George Washington. It is deceitful to try to use that constantly and to take it out of context.

noctur55
noctur55 05/04/07 - 08:36 am
I am in the navy, and know

I am in the navy, and know many sailors on board that ship. That banner was hung by the white house press personell, and they all really thought that the war was done.
Anyway, something needs to change, and all you people that say being anti war is the same as being against the troops, need to take a second look at themselves, and ask, what can I do for this country, beside listening to Toby Keith and waving your flag, and calling anyone who is not in mindless agreement with the administration a traitor. The country has made their minds, and voted the repubs out of office for the most part, and will continue until this country is back on track and not fighting a fruitless,pointless war.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 05/04/07 - 09:04 am
well...I was in the Navy, and

well...I was in the Navy, and know many sailors onboard CVN-73 who said that the banner was hung by the crew. Now I'm certianly not saying anyone is lieing, but it looks like there's two stories here, and someone is mistaken. I'm not in favor of mindless doing of anything. You can mindlessly follow the President, or you can mindlessly follow those who are against him as well. I don't agree with everything the President has done. He has dropped the ball badly on imigration for example. I also believe when we went into Iraq, we should have had more troops and a better plan. That doesn't mean the war is fruitless or pointless.

JohnnyMango
JohnnyMango 05/04/07 - 09:08 am
Just cut the cord with

Just cut the cord with Israel, Iraq, and Afghanistan. Pack up everything and come home and the boogy men will go away!

cparker
cparker 05/04/07 - 09:10 am
I was involuntarily recalled

I was involuntarily recalled to active duty to go to Iraq despite the military paying me ten years earlier to leave active duty with a severance payment. While in-processing at Ft Jackson, I over heard Vice President Cheney giving a news conference stating we had an all volunteer force serving in Iraq. The problem with the war is the same problem this administration has had since the beginning, they are lying deceitful people. Conservatives present themselves as the moral compass of America, yet they have people voting for measures and trying to sleep with young boys at the Capitol building. The fired the US Attorneys and try to conceal their poor judgement with more lies. They certified WMD to the UN knowing all along it didn't exist. President Bush paid Armstrong Williams $250,000 to promote the No Child Left Behind plan because he knows it is a failed policy that most people would not agree with and still don't. I consider myself a soldier until I die, but I don't want to give my life chasing the President's lies just like Pat Tillman did. The entire world hates us because our President and his party are hypocritical liars. Conservatives need to stop watching Fox News so much.

JohnnyMango
JohnnyMango 05/04/07 - 09:18 am
Just cut the cord with

noctur55
noctur55 05/04/07 - 09:37 am
Well, watch abc news tonight

Well, watch abc news tonight so we can see how many of these moral compass members are on the DC madam's list. Should be entertaining.
BTW, you guys that are for the iraq war, what are we there for? To try to scale down the chaos that we caused for entering that country over false pretense? Saddam was a [filtered word], but how many countries in africa have dictators that make him look like santa claus? There was no connection between iraq and 9-11.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 05/04/07 - 09:38 am
Nice rant cparker. I was

Nice rant cparker. I was under the impression that inactive reserve was to be called after the draft. If I'm wrong on that then I'm wrong and I feel for your plight. Now for the rest of the rant, it's not really fair to slant the stories without telling the rest. Just who is the moral compass? Is it the Republican's who had some people who were trying to sleep with young boys, who were all of the legal age of consent for DC, or the Democrats who were sleeping with young boys, and when confronted with it, refused to admit any wrong doing, and were then re-elected a few more times? And Saying that the administration knew there were no WMD's over and over will not make it true. In fact there were WMD's. We found some. I won't defend the "No Child Left Behind" program, because I think it's a fundamentally flawed concept from the get-go, and as to why they tell lies about the US Attorneys, I have no idea. You see, the conservatives in office are far from clean, but neither are the liberals.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 05/04/07 - 09:45 am
What sort of "moral compass"

What sort of "moral compass" points to a direction where you think it's ok to kill a living human being, simply because it has not been exposed to air, then rationalizes it by saying that it's the mother's choice to kill the baby.

NotyourDadsBuick
NotyourDadsBuick 05/04/07 - 11:10 am
Hey, I was in the Navy, too!

Hey, I was in the Navy, too! And I knew people on aircraft carriers, so I must be qualified to offer an opinion about the "mission accomplished" banner. It was crock of s--t, no matter who put it up, Bush's PR people allowed it to stay as a background prop. He is the Commander Guy, so he could have ordered it taken down, but he did not. My question for everyone is how will we know when we've won in Iraq? No one at any level of government or military can define "success," so can our soldiers ever win this thing? By the way, is everyone here aware that Dick Cheney, VP extraordnaire, had FIVE deferments to get out of service during Vietnam? Way to go, VP Cheney, that's showing 'em!

_kpc_
_kpc_ 05/04/07 - 11:33 am
So it's ok to Bash Dick

So it's ok to Bash Dick Cheney for dodging the draft, but not ok to bash Bill Clinton? Get real people! They are all crooked, Republican or Democrat! Just because one is bad, doesn't mean the other is good.

LaTwon
LaTwon 05/04/07 - 11:48 am
kpc is correct there is not

kpc is correct there is not a dimes worth of difference between any of them except for this man. here is an archive of his house speeches. www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul-arch.html
happy birthday J.B.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 05/04/07 - 11:59 am
I scanned a few of the

I scanned a few of the speeches in that archive LaTwon....He seems ok, but I'll keep my eye on him!

farmer
farmer 05/04/07 - 12:10 pm
I was in the Navy too but it

I was in the Navy too but it was so long ago we still had sails, and KPC looks like you are the sharpest and on target today well I had better tend to my stock and thank the lord again for the moisture on my crops last night.

gagirl40
gagirl40 05/04/07 - 12:54 pm
FYI...4/16/04: "Bush said in

FYI...4/16/04: "Bush said in October that the White House had nothing to do with the banner; however a spokesman later clarified that the ship's crew asked for the sign and that the White House staff had it made by a private vendor. It was not clear who paid for the sign." So did Bush lie... AGAIN?!?!?!? May 1, 2003 President Bush: "Major combat operations in Iraq have ended. In the Battle of Iraq, the United States and our allies have prevailed." Now, saying this with a WHITE HOUSE BANNER proclaiming MISSION ACCOMPLISHED behind him I guess we were supposed to think something else altogether. No..they weren't sending a message. No he didn't MEAN to give us that impression. It was all the sailors faults. FYI...all the big war supporters, the ones with the most bellicosity ie; Bush, Cheney, Rove, Wolfowitz, Limbaugh etc are all Chickenhawks. None fought for this country. All dodged the draft with deferments or sorry excuses. Teddy Roosevelt once said, "Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president... it is unpatriotic not to not tell the truth, whether about the president or anyone else." Amen Mr. President, I couldn't agree more!

native
native 05/04/07 - 12:59 pm
I don't think Bush ever said

I don't think Bush ever said this would be a short war. "Mission Accomplished" was one mission out of many. This has turned into a war of words. The fact is, wars are unpopular, and I applaud Bush on staying his ground despite the opposition. I would rather have a president that stands by his principles, than one that blows with the breeze of "political correctness"

gagirl40
gagirl40 05/04/07 - 01:04 pm
And KPC..OMG...who DIDN'T

And KPC..OMG...who DIDN'T bash Clinton for his not serving in the military???!?!?!?!?!?!!!?? Are you kidding or just delusional? What we want to know is, why was it a crime, a huge big deal for republican pundits for Clinton not to have served but perfectly okay that the rest of these Chickenhawks who got us into this war, didn't either? Clinton didn't start a war...Bush did!!!! HUGE difference.

gagirl40
gagirl40 05/04/07 - 01:48 pm
"Major combat operations in

"Major combat operations in Iraq have ended. In the Battle of Iraq, the United States and our allies have prevailed." PREVAIL- TO BE VICTORIOUS, TRIUMPH, WIN OUT

NoSocialism
NoSocialism 05/04/07 - 02:01 pm
It is terrible that so many

It is terrible that so many people are waving the white flag. We should ship them all to France so they can be amongst those who share their thoughts.

fastazzevo
fastazzevo 05/04/07 - 02:38 pm
I agree with mindhacker you

I agree with mindhacker you freakin pansies...

We are at war and we will continue to be. Do you still see soldiers in Korea over 50 years after that war stopped. YES!!!!! Get used to it, soldiers in the middle east aren't going anywhere. And as long as they continually attack their own people and our soldiers we will continue to be (combat focused)

_kpc_
_kpc_ 05/04/07 - 02:50 pm
gagirl...the venemous

gagirl...the venemous Bush-bashers had nothing but good things to say for President Clinton. That's who didn't bash him for not serving. Both sides are guilty of hipocracy here! THAT's what I'm saying. I don't think you need to be delusional to see that.

backpac-bill
backpac-bill 05/04/07 - 03:28 pm
OK; All please tell me hwo

OK;
All please tell me hwo long ago did Mr.Bush tell the Nation the "WAR" was over???? Well it's not and our soldiers are still losing life and we are footing the "BILL" in Iraq.Republican (no)
American (yes).Yes I serve and sacrificed for this country.So I do have the right to speak out.What about you.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 05/04/07 - 05:18 pm
backpac-bill, how about YOU

backpac-bill, how about YOU tell us when the President said the "WAR" was over. I don't recall him saying that. Republican (no), Democrat (heck no), American (yes). I served for my country so that not only I can speak out, but everyone else can too! I don't care to silence those I don't agree with. I even welcome cain to rant...although I must admit, it gets tiresome.

gagirl40
gagirl40 05/04/07 - 05:49 pm
Once again...4 years ago

Once again...4 years ago Tuesday our President said, and I quote, "IN THE BATTLE OF IRAQ, THE UNITED STATES AND OUR ALLIES HAVE PREVAILED." Definition of PREVAIL- TO BE VICTORIOUS, TRIUMPH, WIN OUT. Kind of sounds like "Mission Accomplished" to me. Maybe he didn't use those EXACT words, but the banner the White House provided said it all. And KPC...I could have cared less that this President didn't serve in the military, but after the hell Clinton had to pay for his not serving, it's a little disingenuous of Republicans to now act as if it's no big deal that the very ones who took this country to war, THE CHICKENHAWKS, didn't serve.

tdp
tdp 05/04/07 - 06:15 pm
Okay. There is no draft.

Okay. There is no draft. Our army is a "volunteer only" army. They know when they sign up that there is a possibility that they will not only go to war, but also be killed in the process. The Iraq war was, and still is, necessary. Mr. Navy guy (Noctur55) who is whining about the war shouldn't have signed up if he didn't want to go. Period!

_kpc_
_kpc_ 05/04/07 - 07:46 pm
most enlistments are 4 years

most enlistments are 4 years or less...so most of those in Iraq knew there was a current war going on when they signed up.

SRS shipments halted until 2016

Savannah River Site can't resume shipments of Cold War nuclear waste materials to an underground repository in New Mexico until at least 2016 when the federal government reopens the facility to ...