We need leaders, not rulers

Augusta Commissioner Calvin Holland complained bitterly Tuesday about what others were saying about him in the media - but he's the one who disrespected city Administrator Fred Russell by trying to seize his computer hard drive while Russell was on vacation. And when commissioners debated censuring Holland for it Tuesday, he was rude, disrespectful and childish - especially toward the genteel Mayor Deke Copenhaver.

If you can't be a gentleman while Mr. Copenhaver is presiding, you just can't be a gentleman.

Holland chose to ignore a city ordinance prohibiting commissioners from interfering with day-to-day employees of the city - and for that, he was censured by his colleagues on a 6-3 vote.

In the process, he refused to respect commission rules limiting speeches to two minutes.

Worst of all, Holland showed a world of disrespect to the mayor, to his fellow commissioners and to the people of this city. He owes everyone a heartfelt apology.

Calvin Holland may seem to be drunk with power when he tries to police individual employees - then claims, as he did during Tuesday's discussion, to be the mayor's "supervisor." But drunks sober up. If he does not, then Holland's problem would appear to be more fundamental: He apparently believes he is at City Hall to rule, rather than to serve.

If so, he's a fairly poor ruler, but a much worse leader.

Good leaders serve the people around them. They seek to help rather than to order. They cooperate and work together, rather than bullying others. They set a vision, then join hands to make it happen.

Mr. Holland, we don't need rulers; we need leaders.

If you want to lead, there's a terrific model that has hit the national scene in recent years - a model that is driven by an organization right here in Augusta called "Lead Like Jesus."

Inspired by famous management guru and author Ken Blanchard, the movement is really the first to highlight the leadership skills embodied in Christ's teachings and actions. He was, and is, the ultimate in servant leadership.

We strongly encourage Mr. Holland and others at City Hall to familiarize themselves with the "Lead Like Jesus" tenets coming out of the ministry, especially since it's right here in Augusta.

We find it difficult to believe Mr. Holland, affectionately called "Coach" by his friends, would seek to rule rather than to lead. Maybe the "Lead Like Jesus" approach could help him and his colleagues. All of us could stand to lead more like Jesus.

Mr. Holland, with all due respect we don't need any more "supervisors" at City Hall. We don't need rulers. We need team players. We need talented, motivated people like yourself to pitch in and help the city as a whole.

We need leaders. We hope you'll be one of them.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 05/03/07 - 04:59 am
Mr. Holland is one of the two

Mr. Holland is one of the two commissioners that will not take this type of article very well.

ForHim
ForHim 05/03/07 - 06:47 am
I wonder if any of the

I wonder if any of the commissioners ever watch themselves on TV to see how they are acting. Are they OK with what they see. Do they truly think it is OK to act like children?

moany
moany 05/03/07 - 06:53 am
Mr. Holland needs to be

Mr. Holland needs to be removed from the seat... we are trying to bring the city together and he is starting a ruckus...so what if Mr. Russell is using his computer for something else. who doesn't...

JimCox
JimCox 05/03/07 - 07:12 am
Holland will take Marion's

Holland will take Marion's place as the biggest thorn in Augusta's side.

mgroothand
mgroothand 05/03/07 - 07:44 am
As I posted in an earlier

As I posted in an earlier article, my dictionary defines a leader as: "a person who rules or guides or inspires others". I just wish he'd change his last name, it makes my country of origin look bad.

Da Voice Inside Your Head
Da Voice Inside Your Head 05/03/07 - 08:21 am
This man snookered a lot of

This man snookered a lot of people to get his seat on the commission. He showed one face and talked a different game while campaigning aganist Bobby Hankerson. The truth is out. He's just one more Marion Williams blowhard with delusions of grander. He might impress a few fools in his district, but the ones with a brain will know the truth. Being a leader is not about how much airtime you get in the media, but about how hard you work to make things better. Any jerk can showboat, but it takes a rea MAN to lead. Think about it Coach.

johnsmith
johnsmith 05/03/07 - 09:44 am
I'm embarrassed when

I'm embarrassed when relatives/friends come from out of town and see what passes for "leadership" in the CSRA. From Robin Williams and his gang, to Charles Walker, to the near reelection of McIntyre, I guess a recent import like myself will *never* understand Augusta politics. It is tiring, though, to make a comment about a commissioner's most recent stupid comment/opinion/action and be told that I'm "racist." Since I don't know what any of them look like or who they are (except for Copenhaver and Marion Williams, who are both pictured in the paper a lot), I don't see how it's racist to identify a quote or an action, reported in the paper, as stupid. I'm comforted by the fact that that particular allegation is constantly flung around the Imperial Commission itself, though...I'd hate to be the only target. Hey, if I think Austin Rhodes says a lot of stupid things, am I "hair-ist"? That man has some ugly hair...not much, but what's there is ugly, ugly...

_kpc_
_kpc_ 05/03/07 - 11:10 am
damn hairists....I hate you

damn hairists....I hate you guys!

ForHim
ForHim 05/03/07 - 12:10 pm
I bet john is prejudiced

I bet john is prejudiced against Donald Trump, Don King and Brittany Spears too!

winkelstein
winkelstein 05/03/07 - 03:10 pm
I say...fire that SOB!!!

I say...fire that SOB!!!

aikshop1
aikshop1 05/04/07 - 02:15 am
King Calvin Holland, Hey man

King Calvin Holland, Hey man you missed the short bus.

Court rules in probation case

ATLANTA -- The Supreme Court issued a unanimous decision this morning concluding that it is legal for local courts to contract with private companies to supervise offenders on probation for minor ...