Divisive radio host has got to go

Many area citizens have been concerned for some time about radio station WGAC's talk show host Austin Rhodes, and the poison he spews daily.

Austin, a fixture on our airwaves for 14 years, has been a liability rather than an asset to our great city. He promotes gender, class, racial, political and social divisiveness. He also has engaged in humiliating name-calling and mocked his own juvenility. When challenged, he has offered weak excuses.

Yes, he has followers and supporters among some extreme right-wingers and revisionists who want to shape our country into their own mold. Many of the conservative politicians also use him to promote their agenda, which causes him to believe he has political power. I recall that the Media Committee of the Community Trust Initiative met with a WGAC official in 2005 and complained about Austin and the venom he broadcasts about black people. In response, the committee was told that Austin's show was very popular and a money-maker. Some committee members suggested that WGAC hire another host to present an alterative viewpoint. It was stated that station's format was set for the year, and there was no time slot for another program. The WGAC official concluded that everything was fine, and there was no need for changes. ...

Austin Rhodes must go. His time is out. We want reasoning unifiers, not incendiary dividers, in our city. And if there are Austin Rhodes wannabes, then they must go too. ...

Tracy E. Williams Jr., Augusta

_kpc_
_kpc_ 05/02/07 - 04:02 am
You said it Tracy! Let's go

You said it Tracy! Let's go ahead and repeal the 1st amendment while where at it so we can keep him off the air forever! Oh wait...that won't work...then we can't complain about him either.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 05/02/07 - 04:19 am
Ms Williams, you say Austin

Ms Williams, you say Austin mocks his youth? That's a pretty serious charge. I notice you didn't list any reasons for your venom. I guess it's just a personality thing you don't like. Did you know that most radios have a dial? Yeah, they do. All a smart person has to do is change the station to make Austin go away. So, the next time ole Austin starts to mock his juvenility, just reach out and switch to another station. Ah-h, the magic of technology. If you never go back to that station, Austin will be gone forever.

bone
bone 05/02/07 - 05:20 am
change the channel. your tax

change the channel. your tax dollars do not support austin or his views. there are people (apparently) who enjoy listening to him and your right to not be offended is trumped by your right to choose not to listen. no one is forced to support any radio/t.v./book they don't agree with; no one should have the ability to prevent a speaker from expressing their opinions, no matter how disgusting. again, if you don't agree with someone, IGNORE THEM and teach others who you influence to do the same; but celebrate the fact that views different & offensive from ours are part of what makes our country different from so many others.

getalife
getalife 05/02/07 - 06:12 am
While I don't agree with

While I don't agree with everything Austin says, I still support his right to say it. You can always change the station. I feel that this whole issue has been blown out of proportion by the media, Jesse (love child) Jackson, Al (Tawanna Brawley) Sharpton and Chump (cracker) Walker, all wanting to be in the spotlight. What Austin said was not racial, it just happened to be about a black woman (?). Had it been said about a white woman nothing would have been said!!!

Dedicated
Dedicated 05/02/07 - 06:23 am
People......come on

People......come on now........you have to understand that Austin Rhodes is just an entertainer. He has never been accused of being intellegent. The plan behind the program is for Rhodes to say the most stupid thing he can to make people call in to the show. No one takes him serious.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 05/02/07 - 06:37 am
bone...I agree with you

bone...I agree with you except for one thing...No one in this country has a RIGHT to not be offended. That is a right that would be impossible to guarentee.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 05/02/07 - 06:38 am
You know getalife..even if

You know getalife..even if what Mr Rhodes said WAS racial, there is no law against being a jerk.

NoSocialism
NoSocialism 05/02/07 - 06:54 am
Austin stays in place I say!

Austin stays in place I say! I enjoy his show and for those of you that can't seem to figure out how to operate aradio on your own;one of the knobs turns down the volume, the other changes the station. If you don't care for Austin's dialog, you don't have to listen to him.

mag5
mag5 05/02/07 - 06:54 am
Mr Williams since you seem

Mr Williams since you seem concerned about the devisiveness in our community surely you have complained about Ryan B as well?

Georgiais1
Georgiais1 05/02/07 - 06:59 am
I say Tracy Williams and your

I say Tracy Williams and your friends need to go.....Keep Austin.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 05/02/07 - 07:02 am
I remember something from my

I remember something from my school days regarding freedom of speech. It was a motto or creed - - - I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to my death your right to say it. People such as Tracy Williams who seek to censor what others say are a danger to a free society.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 05/02/07 - 07:13 am
People like Tracy Williams

People like Tracy Williams are all about tolerance and freedom of speech, until you say something that ticks them off, and then you must go!

JohnRandolphHardisonCain
JohnRandolphHardisonCain 05/02/07 - 07:24 am
It doesn't appear that Tracy

It doesn't appear that Tracy Williams called for the government to get rid of Austin Rhodes' radio program. The letter writer merely called for Austin to be removed by Beasley Broadcasting at the demand of members of the Augusta community. I personally think that Michael Savage has crossed the line into hate speech many times. Austin is juvenile and racially insensitive to say the least. His Aunt Jemima mimicking of black speech is definitely in bad taste. I don't see Austin as a credit to Augusta or to Beasley. Maybe the white flight "achievers" in Columbia County support him, but I suspect his support is wearing thin there as well since the advertizers in that area don't want to be labeled as supporting thinly veiled racism. It is remarkable to me that none of Austin's so-called "good friends" in government or media have come to his defense. Personally I favor re-establishment of The Fairness Doctrine that would require right wing Republican shill programs like Austin Rhodes' to be balanced with programs offering the opposite view. We can only change the dial if there are alternative programs to right wing talk radio on the air. Those advertizers that stick with WGAC best beware.

AGR354
AGR354 05/02/07 - 07:25 am
The Augusta Political left

The Augusta Political left fears Austin. He takes a political stance for the Augusta Right. He is a voice for common sense. I am amazed that anytime you say anything against the Political Left you are then labeled racists. Get over it Charles Walker is in jail for corruption, who from the left will be next. Careful Austin is watching

Da Voice Inside Your Head
Da Voice Inside Your Head 05/02/07 - 07:28 am
I think most people need to

I think most people need to get a sense of humor. Austin Rhodes is a jerk. That's a given. But he has a right to his viewpoint. If he offends you don't listen. Maybe he offends you because some of what he says is the truth. Most people are offended when told some home truth about themselves. As far as "equal time" goes it is not the law. The reason that most stations don't carry liberals is because no one listens.They are money losers. That's how our capitalist system works. Got to Cuba. They only carry one point of view and if you protest there, they just shoot you. Freedom of Speech, what a concept!

The A Train
The A Train 05/02/07 - 08:05 am
Ryan B. and Austin Rhodes.

Ryan B. and Austin Rhodes. Just what Augusta needs to maintain controversy and emotional unrest.

Khaaaaaan
Khaaaaaan 05/02/07 - 08:16 am
n/a

johnsmith
johnsmith 05/02/07 - 08:18 am
"This community does not need

"This community does not need Mr. Rhodes' hate and venom." You know, I'm always fascinated to hear what *one* individual says about what "this community" needs or does not need. Actually, a community does not "need" anything. People, as *individuals*, have needs, and they pursue them. In the aggregate, those individuals' needs create demand, and if the market is efficient, meets that demand. All of which is fancy way of saying, if nobody listened to Austin, Beasley would take him off the air. Since many individuals clearly make a free choice to listen to Austin Rhodes, the market meets that demand, and they get what they "need." I have the same reaction when I hear pastors say "Our community does not want strip clubs downtown!" Now, it is true that *I* do not want strip clubs downtown, but clearly many, many individuals are making the choice to give their dollars to those places. The beauty of the market is, all the pastor has to do is raise enough money to make it worthwhile to the owner to sell to the church, and he can close them all down. No government action needed-the church can buy the property and open a Christian bookstore, and everyone wins!

DrGunby68
DrGunby68 05/02/07 - 08:30 am
The primary reason that

The primary reason that people listen to Austin is that type of typical, closed-minded listener needs constant, everyday reassurance. Reassurance that they are not racist or have not circumvented normal capitalistic meritocracy and have their position or assets because of intergenerational wealth transfers or benefits from the favorable treatment of whites from slavery through jim crow. It is obvious in the public how neo-cons have lied into a war, evangelicals care more for babies before they are born than respecting life until natural death and how these "listeners" require daily pep rallies to try to overcome the cognitive dissonance that must arise when they look in the mirror every night. They have to listen to and spew hatred and racist vitriol so that as every good neo-con knows, the more you say it the more it becomes the truth. He is the front and center evidence of what is wrong...the right leaning baby buzzards stroke his neck and he regurgitates their daily dose of mostly unjustified and unsubstantiated verbal vomit. It's funny to me...Most of his listeners are weak and scared of their ability to compete in an open economy where all have the same chances.

Khaaaaaan
Khaaaaaan 05/02/07 - 08:38 am
n/a

concernednative
concernednative 05/02/07 - 08:44 am
DrGunby68 you have said it

DrGunby68 you have said it all. That sums up Austin, Hannity, and Limbaugh. That is what they all do everyday. The only scary part is there are 19 million people that list to Rush everyday. So you don't know when you are dealing with these people in your day to day life. As I black man it scare me that they maybe making decisions about me getting a job, a loan, or whatever. Because obviously they are trying to protect a middle age white male dominance.

MJDW
MJDW 05/02/07 - 08:49 am
Tracy Williams, JohnRandolph,

Tracy Williams, JohnRandolph, Austin does offer an opposite view it's call a call in line. Austin's show is a debate, the public has a chance to speak out.

ForHim
ForHim 05/02/07 - 08:50 am
I listened to Austin a couple

I listened to Austin a couple of times. I didn't like him so I changed the channel to something I did like. What I don't understand is that people that don't like Austin Rhodes, why do they continue to listen to him? And if they are "boycotting" his program, how do they know what he continues to say or not say. Seems to me that people that don't like him continue to listen to him to see if they can take two words out of a sentence and turn it into whatever they want. They protest and tell people to boycott, yet they listen themselves. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Khaaaaaan
Khaaaaaan 05/02/07 - 08:52 am
n/a

WW1949
WW1949 05/02/07 - 09:00 am
DrGunby68, what are you

DrGunby68, what are you trying to say. That we listen to WGAC for reassurance to make it through our daily lives. That I or any white person who has made money got it because their family had money and got the money because of favorable treatment. How wrong you are. I work hard and started @ $1.15 per hour working for someone else then learned and now have my own business with over 2 million in sales. I'm now a very wealthy person with more in the bank than I could spend in my daily life. No one gave it to me, I earned it through hard work for 39 years, conservative spending and being honest with all people no matter what the race. I am very conservative because I believe what I earn should be for my family and if I choose to leave any to someone else that is my business and not the governments to distribute to anyone black or white. It's not a black white thing to me and never has been. It's a what is mine is mine thing to me. I do not require a pep ralley and when I look in the mirrow I am proud of what I see, a hard working person who pays his taxes, spends his money like he wants and enjoys all the freedoms this country has to offer which comes because of our brave military.

tony.howard
tony.howard 05/02/07 - 09:20 am
Here we go again! Only

Here we go again! Only extreme left-wing wackos should have the right to free speech. That's the gist of Mr. W's rant. Anybody who dares criticize the idiocy of the left is "hurtful," "mean-spirited," "dangerous," "racist," etc. Furthermore, it's not WGAC's job to ensure that the Liberal Left's agenda gets aired. The real reason they won't put someone on the air, like Mr. W suggests, is because no one would listen to such a program - hence, no advertisers would sponsor it - hence, WGAC would lose money. Liberals are always whining that Government and business won't fund their agenda. (Well, Government does, to a certain extent, but that's a different story.) You want a different viewpoint on the air, Mr. W? Then you pay for it. That's what being in a free country is all about. It's called an education, Mr. W. Be a good idea if you got one.

b0b
b0b 05/02/07 - 09:25 am
Tracy, just in case you

Tracy, just in case you didn't know, crack cocaine is bad for you.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 05/02/07 - 09:31 am
Why can't people just let

Why can't people just let capitolism work. If the public doesn't want to hear someone, they will stop listening, and ad revenue will drop. Then the advertisers will pull out, and the show will be cancelled. It's that simple. Reinstituting the so called "Fairness Doctrine" where the nanny govenment decides what we are to listen to is nonsense. When I want to hear an opposing view point, I turn to a different channel. That 's what's called freedom. It's wrong to force a broadcaster to devote "equal time" to opposing viewpoints. Frankly, some people don't want to hear it, and they shouldn't be made to hear it. Would anyone want Air America to be forced to carry G. Gordon Liddy's show? Should Randi Rhoads be required to have a co-speaker that's as far to the right as she is to the left? (I think the Sherrif of Nottingham might be the only one to fit THAT bill) Just let capitolism work!

1980reader
1980reader 05/02/07 - 09:52 am
The "Fairness Doctrine" is

The "Fairness Doctrine" is nothing more than government regulation of speech. It is a dangerous tool of those who are afraid to let the marketplace of ideas decide the merits of an argument. I am no Rhodes fan, but I don't want Uncle Sam dictating whose political views are discussed on the radio. Free speech is necessarily going to offend every one of us some of the time. That is price we pay. I think it's worth it.

sarahs mom
sarahs mom 05/02/07 - 09:57 am
If this definition is

If this definition is accurate, how is what Austin Rhodes said offensive? also by definition, a prostitue is defined as " someone who sells ones abilities,talent, or name for an unworthy purpose." the Duke accuser fits both definitions. You can always chose not tolisten to Austin, until you can PROVE what he said was wrong, may be you should keep your opinion to Yourself.
2(h)
n. pl. hos
Slang A prostitute.

[African American Vernacular English, alteration of whore.]

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2003. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.