Hospital CFO is stepping down

In light of criticism of nonprofit hospitals in Congress, University Hospital is trying to define its benefit to the community. But it will soon be doing that without one of its longtime leaders.

Chief Financial Officer Robert Taylor, 58, announced Thursday at the hospital's monthly board meeting that he will be retiring in June after 36 years at the hospital. He joined University right out of school in 1971, he said.

"It's the only real job I've had," he joked. "It feels like time to me."

Mr. Taylor will be replaced by Dave Belkoski, the vice president of finance, on July 1. Mr. Taylor had spent the past 10 years as CFO and saw the hospital through some complicated bond issues and financing, said J. Larry Read, the CEO of University Health Care System.

"He's also been our institutional memory," Mr. Read said.

"We've been able to do an awful lot of things with a good team of people," Mr. Taylor said.

As the Government Accounting Office looks at nonprofit hospitals and their tax-exempt status, hospitals are trying to find widely accepted standards for gauging their benefit to the community, said Pete Brodie, the CEO of University Health Care Foundation.

From a health fair that found a large number of people with high cholesterol to mobile mammography that has found five tumors this year, University is trying to quantify its community benefit.

With indigent care added, it comes to nearly $5 million for the first quarter of the year, Mr. Brodie said.

Reach Tom Corwin at (706) 823-3213 or tom.corwin@augustachronicle.com.

nonumberplease
nonumberplease 04/27/07 - 03:43 am
I think University's tax

I think University's tax emempt status should change and be
listed as a hos[ital for profit. This tax payer owned hospital has
no regard for people other than money they owe or if their
insurance will cover the illness. When emergency room charge
over 2000.00 including 600.00 for the emergency room doctor
something is wrong. Where are the profits going and how are the
tax payers of richmond county benifitting from these profits?

sarahs mom
sarahs mom 04/27/07 - 06:39 am
when University CLOSED the

when University CLOSED the indigent care clincs they lost all respect I had for them. What was once a valuable part of our community was swept away for "paying patients" UH should lose their tax exempt status since they no longer serve the poor of the area in any capacity.

getalife
getalife 04/27/07 - 07:25 am
Hospitals should pay taxes

Hospitals should pay taxes like any other business.

concerned4
concerned4 04/27/07 - 08:11 am
I feel that an indigent care

I feel that an indigent care hospital should have indigent care clinic. Why call it indigent care if the people have no place to go because they have no money or insurance.
They should pay taxes!!!I pay enough taxes for someone to get free care!!!

concerned4
concerned4 04/27/07 - 08:11 am
I feel that an indigent care

They should pay taxes!!!I pay enough taxes for someone to get free care!!!

chachi25
chachi25 10/11/10 - 10:02 am

sarahs mom
sarahs mom 04/27/07 - 09:27 am
Dignity? is that how UH

Dignity? is that how UH treating the poor? ok. so UH serves them out at Golden Camp, in a small clinic, NOT at the hospital,UH went from over 20 clinics to less than 10. They were treated by local board certified physicians and utilized MCG residents, many of the fine physicians were trained at the UH clinics. but the bottom line was UH did not make any money on the clinics,so the answer was to close the clinics at the hospital and ship them out, I know this because I was affiliated with UH for many, many years, I most certainly have MY facts straight . the quality of care they now receive is not comparable to how they were previously cared for.

ForHim
ForHim 04/27/07 - 10:56 am
I will speak up for

I will speak up for University Hospital. My son had to go to the emergency room recently and was given a cat scan that determined he had a growth in his bladder. He had no insurance and no job. He was treated very well by emergency room personnel. The hospital assisted him with finding funding for the surgeries and hospital stay he would require. He subsequently had his surgery and things worked out well for him. I have nothing but good things to say about the care he received and the assistance given to him.

Does_it_really_matter
Does_it_really_matter 04/27/07 - 11:09 am
I have a friend in the

I have a friend in the hospital ....he has been hospitalized for most of the last 4 months. Due to disablilty, he has no job and no chance of getting one. Yes, I know that the public will eat a portion of this bill....the Hospital is eating its fair share. Trust me, those of us with insurance would have been kicked out a long time ago!

hardtobelieve
hardtobelieve 04/27/07 - 11:47 am
I love University Hospital

I love University Hospital and the people who work there. When I was admitted for pre-term labor the nurses and other hospital staff were wonderful. I couldn't have asked for better care. I must admit that I don't know about the financial or business workings of UH, but I do know that the physicians, nurses, and support staff care about the patients.

God Almighty
God Almighty 04/28/07 - 10:30 pm
To all the people who are

To all the people who are complaining about how UH doesn't care about the poor people, there is a very simple reason why. It's the "rich" people who pay for everything. The people who have their priorities straight who pay for their own medical care. Instead of complaining about how expensive medical care is, why don't you bafoons start paying your medical bills so that the rest of us good, hard-working, honest people can get a break. We even pay for the taxes that are used to fund this "free healthcare" for people who do not deserve it half the time.

j.brooksjr21@comcast.net
j.brooksjr21@comcast.net 04/30/07 - 11:10 am
I worked at University for

I worked at University for many years. I have had two life saving surgeries there, all my children have been treated there, and 3 grandchildren born there. We payed our insurance premiums and paid for our wonderful services. Over the years, Richmond County shorted the Hospital 4 to 10 million dollars each year that was supposed to cover indigent care for county residents. It was a financial drain that the hospital had to recover from all its other patients. Responsible management reduced the drain as much as possible. Look to your county commissioners to blame for any reduced access not the hospital which still loses money each year on indigent care as well as all the other hospitals in the community.