Too much information - for her, anyway

Let's get this straight.

Nancy Pelosi has time to fly to the Mideast, don a scarf and meet the likes of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad - whose country is considered a terrorist-supporting state - and yet she's too busy to sit in on a briefing with top Iraq war commander Gen. David Petraeus?

She claims she had a scheduling conflict, and that a 30-minute telephone call with the general on Tuesday was enough.

That's a crock.

As the person sitting two heartbeats from the Oval Office chair, can you possibly have enough information on the status of the war, which is the defining event of the moment?

Well, we think in Pelosi's case, that's exactly the point: She doesn't want any information to get in the way of her conclusion, which is that the war and the surge are a disaster that need to be run from immediately.

Indeed, initially, House Democratic leaders turned down Petraeus' offer of a briefing all together. They later relented, after realizing how myopic and irresponsible they were being.

Nor can a phone conversation take the place of an in-person briefing, especially on so important and sensitive an issue.

And you would think - as much as she protests that she "supports" the troops - that she would make time for Petraeus as a courtesy to the highest-ranking U.S. commander in Iraq.

Then again, he might make a convincing case that the United States still has a shot of getting this done. And neither she nor her Senate leadership pal Harry Reid want to hear that.

sjsd17
sjsd17 04/27/07 - 06:10 am
She's a MORON.............

She's a MORON.............

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 04/27/07 - 06:12 am
As speaker of the house Nancy

As speaker of the house Nancy Pelosi only has two duties. Secure as many votes as possible for her party by doing or saying anything, no restrictions. Enter whatever situation will increase her personal power, no restrictions. Everything else is just extracurricular.

bone
bone 04/27/07 - 06:34 am
Cain? We're waiting...

Cain? We're waiting...

Dedicated
Dedicated 04/27/07 - 06:41 am
Cains an idiot!

Cains an idiot!

grouse
grouse 04/27/07 - 06:56 am
The Chronicle wouldn't even

The Chronicle wouldn't even consider this non-issue and issue if the Speaker were a Republican. Just more character assassination. Why didn't the President meet with Brownie in person during Katrina?

_kpc_
_kpc_ 04/27/07 - 07:03 am
I've heard of race baiting,

I've heard of race baiting, but Cain baiting?

intheknow
intheknow 04/27/07 - 07:45 am
kpc, my wife is mad at you.

kpc, my wife is mad at you. When I read your comment, my mcgriddle went all over her. I have to give your post, comment of the year. LOL

justus4
justus4 04/27/07 - 07:48 am
The chronicle is a poor paper

The chronicle is a poor paper and the contents are a reflection of its pathetic view. The Speaker has a schedule. But why won't the president meet with the leaders in mid-east? Same principle: meet with those U trust.

Honden
Honden 04/27/07 - 08:19 am
Nancy Pelosi is a joke. But

Nancy Pelosi is a joke. But then so are most socialist democrats.

fd1962
fd1962 04/27/07 - 08:45 am
Right on, dwise99. Weren't

Right on, dwise99. Weren't those geniuses who fathom that 'the United States still has a shot at getting this done,' the same ones bleating 'Mission Accomplished' thousands of deaths ago? Pathetic.

3M3T1B
3M3T1B 04/27/07 - 08:58 am
While we are making

While we are making comparisons - our wonderful, caring president can't even make it to a funeral of even one soldier killed in his war.

mgroothand
mgroothand 04/27/07 - 09:01 am
kpc: Let's enjoy the respite

kpc: Let's enjoy the respite from Cains blatherings while we can. Perhaps he is out of the country, maybe in Canada. When someday we leave Iraq, we should take our 21st century technology with us and leave the ruling mullahs in Iraq, Iran and Syria with their 14th century bows, arrows and mindset.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 04/27/07 - 09:15 am
Maybe him and Alec Baldwin

Maybe him and Alec Baldwin are on a plane together!

shepster
shepster 04/27/07 - 09:29 am
fd1962, my uncle was on that

fd1962, my uncle was on that ship you're talking about & actually helped hoist the "mission accomplished" banner. I bet you didn't know that banner was for THAT SHIP, did you? That ship had a specific task, a specific MISSION & they accomplished it. You and your bed-wetting liberal tree-huggers are who attached a different meaning to the message. Oh, heck no.., that would make TOO MUCH SENSE! You are a BUSH HATER. You are an AMERICA HATER. YOU have NO IDEA what it takes to maintain the freedom and sovereignty of our country, the GREATEST country in the world. I'll tell you why: because SACRIFICE is not a word in your dictionary. Here's an idea.., come up with something just a LITTLE more constructive to ad to the conversation instead of quoting Wolf Blitzer or Bill Maher, ok? You're blowing your cover & your DEPENDS are showing.

a2
a2 04/27/07 - 09:48 am
Do you know how intimidating

Do you know how intimidating those big mucky muck military men are? All you can do with them is listen. Sir, yes sir!

shepster
shepster 04/27/07 - 09:55 am
the "big mucky muck military

the "big mucky muck military men" you are referring to have paid the price for YOUR FREEDOM, a2. Thanks for being grateful. I bet you believe thier lives were wasted. Real nice. Thanks.

shepster
shepster 04/27/07 - 10:03 am
my bad 3M. Reading this w/ a

my bad 3M. Reading this w/ a friend & they told me about Murray.., checking the list myself, it seems I jumped the gun here. How embarrassing is THAT? Does anyone have a towel I can use to wipe the perverbial EGG off my face?!?!? OUCH. I'll never take someone's word again. Thanks for the smack-down 3M.., I've learned to VERIFY before publishing!

3M3T1B
3M3T1B 04/27/07 - 10:06 am
shepster - no prob, i x'ed my

shepster - no prob, i x'ed my post-back.

shepster
shepster 04/27/07 - 10:11 am
FACE=RED..., TAIL=BETWEEN

FACE=RED..., TAIL=BETWEEN LEGS. CREDIBILITY=SHAKEN.., I hate it when others do what I've just done. Moving on.

ForHim
ForHim 04/27/07 - 10:25 am
It's a good thing when

It's a good thing when someone can admit they were wrong instead of making excuses for their comments and/or actions. It would be a better world if more people would do that.

shepster
shepster 04/27/07 - 10:27 am
group hug! ;)

group hug! ;)

fd1962
fd1962 04/27/07 - 12:31 pm
Shepster, you may benefit

Shepster, you may benefit from some Prozac. Your grasp of more than history is definitely fragile.

shepster
shepster 04/27/07 - 12:58 pm
What is the WORLD are you

What is the WORLD are you talking about fd? You took the time to make the comment, but no SUBSTANCE came with it! What gives? Are you just interested in grendade throwing or do you have actual THOUGHT behind your statement? My money is on the former. I await your intellectual response.

sjgraci
sjgraci 04/27/07 - 04:46 pm
The real crock is the

The real crock is the Chronicle bashing the Speaker of the House for visiting Syria yet is silent when Republicans do the same or when the First Lady and Secretary of State also don head scarves in Middle Eastern lands. I've got a better word than crock to describe the Chronicle, it's called hypocrite.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 04/27/07 - 05:04 pm
The House Speaker is the only

The House Speaker is the only one I recal telling heads of Syria about negotiations that Israel is ready to make....even though they aren't.

JohnRandolphHardisonCain
JohnRandolphHardisonCain 04/27/07 - 06:09 pm
Nancy Pelosi did carry a

Nancy Pelosi did carry a message from Israeli Prime Minister Ehud
Olmert to Syrian President Bashir Assad. When Pelosi was criticized for
her trip to Syria she made an uncharacteric blunder (no doubt due to
her unfamiliarity with diplomatic protocol) of telling the public about
Olmert's message. Olmert is in a weak position politically in Israel,
so he had to deny giving Pelosi a message. It is not incumbent on me to
defend every move a Democrat makes. I am about to be very critical of
Speaker Nancy Pelosi. If she cares more about Democrats' election
chances in 2008 or about her legislative agenda and refuses to consider
impleachment proceeding against President Bush and VP Cheney because of
these reasons THEN SPEAKER NANCY PELOSI IS DOING A DISSERVICE TO THE
CITIZENS OF THIS COUNTRY. Americans are entitled to a full
investigation of actions undertaken by the Bush-Cheney regime, and if
crimes are found to have been committed, those responsible need to be
brought to justice. If President Bush or VP Cheney committed
impeachable offensives, AS I AND OTHERS THINK THEY HAVE, then the
Democrat leadership in Congress should pursue impeachment of George
Walker Bush & Richard Bruce Cheney.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 04/27/07 - 07:00 pm
Well that's it. Cain and his

Well that's it. Cain and his friends said they committed crimes, so it must be true. Evidence be damned! So you will criticize Speaker Pelosi, but only if it means you can bash the President. How characteristically Cain.

Group demands hearing on commissioner appointment

City leaders appeared to warm to a request Monday by the West Augusta Alliance to hold one or more public hearings before appointing an interim District 7 commissioner to serve until Donnie ...