Lingering area racism is appalling

The letter "Discrimination actually runs both ways" (April 23) is indicative of The Augusta Chronicle. This paper continues to fan the ebbing flames of racism in this area by publishing that racist diatribe.

Letter author Jack W. Rackliff showed his racist attitude by saying all blacks should be embarrassed by the acts of the Revs. Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton, and protesters of radio host Austin Rhodes, and that blacks should not be shown respect until black America cleans up "its own back yard."

It is obvious that Mr. Rackliff sees blacks in America as one single entity; to this writer, we do not exist as individuals. We all think alike, all support the same causes and therefore must all be embarrassed by any actions taken by anyone who is black. Should all Koreans be embarrassed by the actions of the shooter at Virginia Tech? Should all whites take responsibility for the actions of serial killer Jeffrey Dahmer? Should all Middle Easterners be disrespected because of Osama bin Laden?

Yes, discrimination goes both ways. I discriminate freely toward individuals who do not deserve my respect, but I do not judge an entire race by the actions of individuals.

Mr. Rackliff identifies himself as a Native American. If I met him, I would judge him as an individual, not as the media have depicted the Native American, or as one of the protesters who want all colleges and pro teams to change their American Indian team names, or as one of the stereotypes that have plagued movies.

So if Mr. Rackliff were black, he would have no reason to be embarrassed because he would realize his individuality. He would realize that blacks are not single-cell protozoas that communicate through some single central nervous system.

Was I embarrassed by his letter? No. I was appalled to know that, after my 20 years of military service and earning two master's degrees, people such as Mr. Rackliff would disrespect me based on race alone.

Sherryl James, Evans

HillGuy
HillGuy 04/25/07 - 11:26 pm
This is Disgusta after all..

This is Disgusta after all.. what do you expect?

DeeVee
DeeVee 04/25/07 - 11:51 pm
I think you're missing the

I think you're missing the point. The point, although not articulated in the politically correct tone that we all must bow down to, is that Blacks who claim they are proud to be Black should actively curb the actions of the criminals that are making them, as a whole, look bad.

Most people in America could care less if you were white, black, brown, yellow, red, or purple so long as you leave them alone and don't force your views on them. Take these two phrases: 1) Black Pride, 2) White Pride. Number one suggests that these are strong African Americans working for the betterment of the community. Number two is a bunch of racist incest obssessed rednecks. Why?

It's the same way that a white person cannot say the word N*****, but a black person can say [filtered word], cracker, or whitie. Personally, I don't find any of those terms offensive, but their origins are from the same time period as N*****, and they are meant to be derogatory. Yet you never hear a white person say "what's up my crackers?" Or, those girls are a bunch of straight hairs sluts... Oh, wait a minute, I have, and they were... Thank God I wasn't persecuted for speaking the truth like Don Imus.

DeeVee
DeeVee 04/26/07 - 12:03 am
Here are my suggestions of

Here are my suggestions of people to avoid:

. Morons, idiots, and generally stupid people.
. Extremists of any ilk; relgious, political, etc.
. People support political correctness over realism.
. People who are so sensitive that they can't take criticism or a joke.
. And another whiny people you can think of.

Maybe you think I fit in some of those categories, maybe I do, but I try to be openminded to new ideas. I used to be a conservationist that believed the amount of oxygen on this planet was finite and therefor stupid people should not breath.

Then I had a hard time figuring out which people were stupid and which just did stupid things every now and then.

So, back to the point, I think the original author just had a bout of momentary stupidity by submitting his piece without editing it for political correctness. (For you idiots out there, that was sarcasm, hold your breath for three minutes as pennance.)

bone
bone 04/26/07 - 04:50 am
bravo, deevee.

bravo, deevee.

JohnRandolphHardisonCain
JohnRandolphHardisonCain 04/26/07 - 05:14 am
Most criminals are white.

Most criminals are white. Whites must do more to curb the actions of white criminals. How come whites don't speak against white crime in their white ranks? Most violent crimes are white on white crime. Not to mention white collar crime and the war crimes committed by white leaders in the White House.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 04/26/07 - 05:51 am
Well said, DeeVee. You hit

Well said, DeeVee. You hit every point. You're not very p.c. though.
Cain
You appear to be suffering from the worst case of white guilt I've ever seen. I know that's not a socialist trait. I hope your friends mention it to you so you can seek help.

LiLBrown
LiLBrown 04/26/07 - 06:24 am
Johnradollph, you are wrong,

Johnradollph, you are wrong, you need to check the prisons, 14% of America is commiting 75% of the crimes. Get your facts straight buddy.

stillamazed
stillamazed 04/26/07 - 06:30 am
To John, who sounds racist

To John, who sounds racist here? Go into some prisons and look at the population there and you will see that all races are commiting crimes. Trash comes in all colors just as ignorance comes in all colors. One race is always trying to blame all their problems in life on another race. When people of ALL RACES start judging each other based on character instead of color this country as a whole will start to change for the better. I believe though that there are as many blacks out there as whites that love to keep the race issues stirred but. We can all learn alot by watching our children and grandchildren play, they could care less what their playmates skin color is. It is the adults who need to grow up and be proud of ourselves regardless of the color of our skin. I am white and I am proud of who I am, I have been married to a proud African American man for 22 years, we have 3 children and 1 grandchild. When we have get togethers at our home there is always different people there because that is how we chose to live our lives and that has been what we expose our children to. We always wanted them to be accepting of every race..... and thank God they are.

WW1949
WW1949 04/26/07 - 07:33 am
Bravo DeeVee you hit the nail

Bravo DeeVee you hit the nail on the head. Well written.

LaTwon
LaTwon 04/26/07 - 08:17 am
why dont we all just realize

why dont we all just realize that racism is a natural state of man and deal with it from there? we may call each other names but most of us would help the other out if needed and certainly wouldnt try to cause any harm intentionally. media has made people too sensitive.

constitutionnow
constitutionnow 04/26/07 - 09:03 am
While it is sad that we seem

While it is sad that we seem to lump blacks into a group all thier own, isn't it really a product of thier own making. When you have mouthpieces such as Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, Charles Walker and the like stating positions that "speak for all african americans" and no one steps forward to counter thier position, how can you at the same time condemn the rest of America for categorizing you. I'm not defending this categorization, I'm condemning it as a product of a black racist minority within the black community. While I'm on my soapbox, can we drop the word "race" from our vernacular? Just because a cow is brown, it dosen't make it a different race from a black cow does it? The Bible (I know you athiests out there are convulsing) tells me that all races of men came from one blood, therefore, we have no justification for thinking that one color of skin is superior than another. It's just silly. Folks who think that they are somehow superior to someone else are actually the very same people who we should pity for thier utter ignorance!

alethia
alethia 04/26/07 - 09:28 am
If any of you are old enough

If any of you are old enough to remember "The Little Rascals" series, filmed back in the 1930's. It had children of both races playing together without any form of racism. I still remember the silly antics and embrace that time of innocence. All of this happened before the civil rights movement in the 60's. The way I see it, children are happy with each other no matter what place in time they exist. The problem is, as they get older they take on characteristics of their environment and playing the race card against others only adds fuel to the fire. This Filthy RAP music and Gangsta stuff goes far beyond anything I grew up with. Some people are making big money exploiting racism and violence. I remember when white people looked on "rock and Roll" as evil. There was a movement back in the 50's to burn up all those records because if you moved your body to that rhythm it was considered vulgar.We can look back on it now and see how foolish it was. But the children today are learning to say these racist words and act out violence because that's the cool thing to do. My young grandchildren are subjected to this Filth blasting at them when I'm stopped at a red light or getting gas.

sid2279
sid2279 04/26/07 - 09:54 am
The author wrote an

The author wrote an articulate, heartfelt, and sincere letter to the editor and the very first post simply blames the issue on this just being the way things are done here. Well, that needs to stop. The second post (among others) begin to defend their right to be racist by comparing opposite ideas in an unintelligent manner. Black Pride was evoked during the civil rights movement to try to reach out to fellow blacks who may have been afraid to confront injustice. White Pride has been used to gather the already dominant white force in order to frighten the gathering and growing black force. If you are going to argue about something, do a little research. Learn something. Don't spout your Fox News one-liners. It may attract the attention of others who are as unfortunate as you to base opinions on blurbs but don't push the issue.

My entire family is white and right-leaning. Being tolerant of race doesn't mean you have to be an extreme leftist. Perhaps my difference is that I grew up in the North where these issues are really non-issues. We all went about our way without sending in racist responses to someone reaching out.

Stop being so bitter. But I don't think you'll change.

farmer
farmer 04/26/07 - 09:55 am
The little rascals story

The little rascals story really hit home growing up in the country I had a lot of little black friends and I ask my father how is it that we play together every day but we go to different schools my father never finished high school but was still a very wise man,he told me that sometimes it takes a great country such as ours a little time to finally realize the difference between right and wrong and that when I grow my children and my black friends children would be going to school together because right always wins out it just takes time sometimes,and he has been proven right on that statment,and our country is greater for it.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 04/26/07 - 10:07 am
Cain, you will take any

Cain, you will take any opportunity you can to stab at the president. What are these war crimes you speak of. Do you figure that if you say it enough times it will become true? That sounds a great deal like Adolph Hitler's idea. Tell a big enough lie, and tell it often enough, and people will believe it.

msmoh21
msmoh21 04/26/07 - 11:01 am
DeeVee, I appreciate your

DeeVee, I appreciate your comment. However, you stated that Imus told the truth. You may have done so inadvertently, but nevertheless you did. Imus does not know the history of the girls on the team, and it doesn’t look to me that they have nappy heads. It seems to me that white people are constantly trying to defend their racism. Racism is racism whether it comes form a white person or a black person. It’s sad that we live in a world with such double standards. Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton are not elected officials and they do not represent all black people. They are individuals that speak their opinion and the opinion of the people they work for, and those people are not the entire black community. We are not different from you and we should not be treated any differently. As for the word n*****, it can not be compare to whitie, honky, or cracker. Those words were developed as defense mechanisms. In the early south people were hanged, killed, and beaten by the word n*****.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 04/26/07 - 11:12 am
Why can the words not be

Why can the words not be compared? Derogatory is derogatory....racist is racist. And you may have also said "inadvertantly" that "white people are constantly trying to defend their racism. The same thing can be said for most races, including blacks.

my2cnts
my2cnts 04/26/07 - 11:33 am
msmoh; maybe you should get

msmoh; maybe you should get more of the black community to let Jesse and Al know that they do not represent all black people. And while you are at it; let the media know as well. If lightning strikes a black man, Jesse and Al show up screaming "racism" because the lightning bolt was white and the media and busloads of black people show up and cheer them on and lap up every word. Jesse is a philandering, con man, extortionist who profits off stirring emotion and claiming hurt feelings all the time. Al is a lying, two faced, huckster preacher who lives off of showing up at every media inflamed racial event and demanding "justice" before he passes the collection plate. White people look at how blacks embrace these two and conclude that black people feel the same way. Until mainstream black America rejects these "leaders"; blacks will continue to suffer from the association. Also, if the word n****r is so offensive to blacks, why do they use it so much? I don't call anyone whitey, or cracker, or honky because it is not a complimentary term. Is there a situation where n****r is a compliment or term of endearment? Please enlighten this ignorant [filtered word].

msmoh21
msmoh21 04/26/07 - 11:41 am
First of all, all blacks do

First of all, all blacks do not use the word n******. It’s a shame that you continuously lump all blacks together. If racist things did not happen in the country, Mr. Shapton and Mr. Jackson would be out of a job. It’s very unfortunate that you would refer to yourself as an ignorant [filtered word]. If you so freely use a word that is offensive to your own race, I am sure that you really want to spell out the n word.

msmoh21
msmoh21 04/26/07 - 11:46 am
As for the word n*****, it

As for the word n*****, it can not be compared to whitie, honky, or cracker. Those words were developed as defense mechanisms. In the early south people were hanged, killed, and beaten by the word n*****.

my2cts, do you care to respond to this portion of my comment?

my2cnts
my2cnts 04/26/07 - 11:52 am
msmoh, if Jesse and Al truly

msmoh, if Jesse and Al truly have "jobs"; tell me one thing they have accomplished in order to earn their pay. Also, who pays their salary? I know Jesse has to be paid very well in order to support his many families, mistresses, etc. I know Al is a preacher, and I assume he is paid by his church. I wonder how his church feels about paying for him to traipse all over the country getting involved in local issues. I guess he has solved all of the problems in the area around his church and has to go out of town to find wrongs to right. If you support their efforts, say so, don't be ashamed. However, ask yourself what difference their is between what they do and what the Klan idiots do? Both are just pandering to emotions on different sides of an issue. It is time everyone in this country, black or white, got over being so sensitive and started taking care of themselves.

my2cnts
my2cnts 04/26/07 - 12:02 pm
msmoh; I would love to

msmoh; I would love to respond to that portion of your comment. To claim that whitey, honky, etc. are defense mechanisms is absurd. Defense against what, another word? Any racial epithet is exactly that; a racial epithet. Psychobabble about "defense mechanisms" is beyond ridiculous; be honest, black people came up with these names to be offensive to whites. The word n****r is based in the 18th century mispronunciation of the word "negro"; it was not created as a slur it just became one. Black people and the liberal media decided a few years ago that saying the word n****r was the ultimate sin and anyone who said it was a pure racist. The only exception was for black people and rap musicians who could use the word to express their "hopelessness and inner rage"; what a crock! I am not aware of a word ever killing, beating, or hanging anyone; maybe I have not studied enough. Finally, if whitey, honky, etc are terms that white people should not allow to upset them; shouldn't black people be able to not get upset by n****r?

_kpc_
_kpc_ 04/26/07 - 12:03 pm
Cain...I just have to know.

Cain...I just have to know. What is your opinion on this quote? ---“The other day the oil companies reported the highest profits in the history of the world. I want to take those profits and I want to put them into a strategic energy fund that will begin to fund alternative smart energy alternatives and technologies that will begin to actually move us toward the direction of independence…” -Senator Hillary Clinton

msmoh21
msmoh21 04/26/07 - 12:08 pm
Can you please get off of Al

Can you please get off of Al and Jesse. I don't care for them either (You're still seeing all blacks as their supporters). I agree with many of the things that you have said about them. I have no idea who pays their salaries; it's definitely not me or anyone that I know for that matter. Maybe it's the government?However, there is a big difference between what they do and what the Klan does. The Klan is actually responsible for murder and many other hate crimes.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 04/26/07 - 12:13 pm
msmoh21, you are pretty much

msmoh21, you are pretty much right, however, attempting to railroad an innocent man for rape is pretty much a hate crime too. Al Sharpton is guilty of that one......twice! I do realize that doesn't make what the KKK has done right...just wondering why this man still has credibility with ANYONE.

shepster
shepster 04/26/07 - 12:44 pm
hhhhmmmm. a BUNCH of comments

hhhhmmmm. a BUNCH of comments have mysteriously disappeared. WHY?

msmoh21
msmoh21 04/26/07 - 12:51 pm
Your guess is as good as

Your guess is as good as mine. Who does he have credibility with? When you find someone that thinks that he is right, please let me know. The thing that happened with the Duke boys was very unfortunate, but you can't blame black people for that.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 04/26/07 - 12:57 pm
Well I'm not blaming black

Well I'm not blaming black PEOPLE for anything. I'm blaming Al Sharpton and the woman he supported. I also blame the D.A. for that one. The Tawanna Brawley thing was pretty bad too. I think Sharpton should at least appologize for supporting a fraud, even if he believed she was right at the time, but he won't. And he usually has a slew of people protesting with him, so there are at least some people he has credibility with.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 04/26/07 - 12:58 pm
Wha comments disappeard? I

Wha comments disappeard? I haven't kept up enough to notice.

shepster
shepster 04/26/07 - 01:47 pm
SEVERAL comments...

SEVERAL comments... Chrocicle Police. Nice.

Mayor's race historic, controversial

Hardie Davis is still waiting to take office after winning a mayoral race that featured no white candidates and saw one of his opponents drop out the day before the election.