Talk show host's comments draw protests

Ed Dubose (center), the president of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People's Georgia State Conference, leads Champ Walker (left) and others in a protest of Augusta radio talk show host Austin Rhodes in front of the Beasley Broadcast Group offices on Jimmie Dyess Parkway. The protesters gathered Thursday to demand that the station fire Mr. Rhodes because of comments he made about the woman who accused Duke University lacrosse players of rape last year. On Friday, Ryan's Restaurant Group announced that it is suspending all advertising and promotional activity with WGAC radio and all of the Beasley Broadcasting radio outlets in Augusta.  Andrew Davis Tucker/Staff
Andrew Davis Tucker/Staff
rbk
rbk 04/21/07 - 05:29 am
I saw the woman on channel 6

I saw the woman on channel 6 news calling Austin "ignorant". You may call him a lot of things, but he is not "ignorant". Ignorant is a poor choice of words for him and shows the ignorance and level of education of the ones calling him that. He should not have said what he said, but they just dislike him because he exposes things for what they are and calls an Ace of Spades an Ace of Spades when it is an Ace of Spades.

El Guapo
El Guapo 04/21/07 - 05:48 am
It's funny how 2 minutes

It's funny how 2 minutes after the TV cameras left, 99% of the "protesters" left.

rmorris30907
rmorris30907 04/21/07 - 05:56 am
Just goes to show the

Just goes to show the hypocrisy of most blacks. One cannot turn on the television without hearing "[filtered word]" being said by blacks. Rap videos are full of the terms "[filtered word]" and "Ho".

Apparently blacks have a copyright or something on those words and only blacks are allowed to use them. When are white men going to start acting like men and stand up for themselves??

I am not the only white male that is tired of the double standards.

Does_it_really_matter
Does_it_really_matter 04/21/07 - 06:03 am
Isn't it interesting that one

Isn't it interesting that one of the faces on television was that of Mrs. Vann, the mother of the pee-pee child and the mother of the young man that is currently in jail? It would seem vendetta is the right word for her trying to get Mr. Rhodes off the air because of his comments related to the way she paraded her young son on TV newscasts to try and get attention in a case where the teacher that made the boy clean the pottie he exhibited bad aim on was in the right? Just food for thought.

chandle54
chandle54 04/21/07 - 06:15 am
Am I looking at the picture

Am I looking at the picture right? The paper states it's Dubose in the center. Looks like a gorilla to me!

halffull
halffull 04/21/07 - 06:22 am
What did he say about the

What did he say about the woman that was so bad? The newspaper does not tell us, the television stations don't tell us. We know exactly what Imus said.

chuckroast2000
chuckroast2000 04/21/07 - 06:39 am
it is ridiculous how we are

it is ridiculous how we are treating one another. It was all brotherly love on sept 11 but now things haves become worse. we are judging others by their outer appearance without knowing who the person truly is. I think people should walk in others shoes before talking about them. You do not know what others are experiencing in their lives. i understand freedom of speech but before talking about others ask yourself is it appropriate to degrade someone else to get my point across. there is a classy way of doing things...but lately many people chose to be classless.

chuckroast2000
chuckroast2000 04/21/07 - 06:57 am
to jamesgoldman1980: I do not

to jamesgoldman1980:
I do not condone black people using the word [filtered word] but where and when do you think the world originated from...who do you think came up with the word. remember black people were not allowed to read or write way back then. it must be frustrating to be encountered with double standards. but since you are a part of the majority you still have privileges. Have you been followed around the store while you shopped because the owners think you are going to steal? have you ever been asked questions like you were a representative of your race? have you ever been mistreated by the police because of you skin tone? i am not asking for sympathy. i do not know what it feels to be you? it is not cool that the rappers use that word but they surely do not represent most black people. ask a variety of black people about being called a [filtered word] and i bet that you will get a variety of answers. because one person says it is ok does not make it right.

chandle54
chandle54 04/21/07 - 07:05 am
How about blacks calling

How about blacks calling whites "crackers", "honkies" and other names? Where are the Sharptons and Jacksons on this? By the way [filtered word] is a derivative /slang for negro. Also, there are no "African Americans" Black Americans yes, the other no.

mgroothand
mgroothand 04/21/07 - 07:12 am
Ryan's restaurant group was

Ryan's restaurant group was not donating their advertising money to Beasley Broadcasting for a good cause other than their own, it was a business decision. Those who disagree with this witchhunt can also make a business decision, stop patronizing Ryan's restaurants. It cuts both ways.

Pslnanny
Pslnanny 04/21/07 - 07:27 am
Hey Protesters, why not use

Hey Protesters, why not use all that energy for a positive cause - like raising money to help the Clark family give their son a decent funeral, raising money for the Salvation Army that has run out of funds helping those who lost everything, gathering food for the Golden Harvest Food Bank. No, you would rather give someone a lot of free publicity while you accomplish nothing but getting the cameras on you. Champ Walker, you are much to smart for this ignorant display. God bless us ALL.

juantez
juantez 04/21/07 - 07:27 am
JamesGoldman1980, Here is

JamesGoldman1980, Here is what you do because you have a right to say anything that you like, but here is what I want you do to BE A MAN, when you get to work on Monday morning I want you to get up in front of everyone and just say [filtered word], [filtered word], [filtered word], prove to yourself that you are man and a white man at that. because you can say anything you want.

getalife
getalife 04/21/07 - 07:40 am
Why didn't the whites get

Why didn't the whites get upset and start a protest when Chump Walker called the deputies "crackers". Austin did not say anything racial, only trying to show the double standard of what can be said by blacks and what can't be said by whites. Al Sharpton, Jesse (love child) Jackson and Chump (no festival) Walker will go where ever there is a camera to drawn attention to themselves.

spcc04
spcc04 04/21/07 - 07:55 am
Well Ryan's just got struck

Well Ryan's just got struck from one of the restaurants that we
will frequent. As was said, it cuts both ways.

christian134
christian134 04/21/07 - 07:58 am
Whites have been conditioned

Whites have been conditioned that any remark involving color would be politicaly incorrect. This started back some forth years ago and has just worsen to the place that we are in now. We are called racist if we speak out against their filthy music, we must not refer to any reference that they are of any color at all, we are labled racist if we say to others that it would be suicide to walk down into the projects after dark or really anytime at all simply because it would be extremely dangerous to our persons. The Blacks can produce billboards that advertise a phone book that is totally black, or all black colleges, or-oh well you get the drift. A person of the black race once threatened law officials that all they had to do to get their way was to simply get the local population w ound up and if they said burn baby burn it would happen in an instant. Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton are among the most outrageous racist ever born. If I were so speak out and protest about the young black youth wearing pants down to their knees showing all kinds of undies I am a racist, if I were to protest against the filith that is being spewed--oh well this in non ending........

halffull
halffull 04/21/07 - 08:02 am
Help me! Somebody help me!

Help me! Somebody help me! What did Austin say about this woman?

gmaakamimi
gmaakamimi 04/21/07 - 08:39 am
I support Austin and will

I support Austin and will continue to listen to him and support his advertisers as long as they support him & Beasley Broadcasting. Once they pull their advertising, I'll not spend another dime in their business. What we're experiencing is political correctness run amuck and our 1st amendment rights being trampled on by a bunch of black racist who want what others have worked hard for given to them on a silver platter. I'm so tired of being told about how their ancestors fared. They've been Americans now for generations and have had ample opportunity to make something of themselves. Instead they are winey butts who throw in the race card anytime they can't get their way. If their biggest call to fame is Al Sharpton & Jesse Jackson, God help them. Whites can't tell the truth about black crime or mention black pagents, black telethons, black colleges, black music (?), etc. without being labeled racists. Well I say that the worst racists I see are black. Put that in your pipe & smoke it!

CSRAresident
CSRAresident 04/21/07 - 08:52 am
I have eaten at RYANS for the

I have eaten at RYANS for the last time. So has our car club members that USED to meet there on Tuesdays. We support Austin Rhodes and FREE SPEECH.

mgroothand
mgroothand 04/21/07 - 09:07 am
just me: I believe Austin

just me: I believe Austin called the black stripper of Duke University fame (infame) the same name as Don Imus called the Rutgers basketball players.

NEone
NEone 04/21/07 - 09:31 am
Just me: Austin said the

Just me: Austin said the female stripper who accused the Duke lacrosse players of rape was a "nappy-headed ho" because according to definition, she is/was exactly that--a black (hair quality) who was a prostitute. She was found to have the semen of several men in her, and none of it matched any of the accused Duke players. She was the low life of this whole fiasco. Don Imus used a poor choice of words to inaccurately describe the Rutgers gals. Austin accurately (albeit colorfully) described the stripper.

NEone
NEone 04/21/07 - 09:32 am
No more Ryan's for our

No more Ryan's for our family.

justputtin
justputtin 04/21/07 - 09:33 am
There is a huge double

There is a huge double standard. We need to start all over and forget the past. It can't be changed anyway. It would be great if we could all live together, quit calling names, and stop getting mad at those that use terms that are only acceptable from the same race. If you call your fellow race names and that's ok, don't get mad when someone of another race says the same thing. Either that, or quit using the poor choice of word yourselves and stop the kids from using it as well. The well to do, educated black people don't call each other that nor do they use that term lightly. They (their parents) fought too hard to get rid of that term and their own race keeps it alive. But, it's always the white man to blame. Ever heard of Walt Williams? Look him up.

aaa
aaa 04/21/07 - 09:36 am
A note to "Champ" Walker: I

A note to "Champ" Walker:
I know Al Sharpton. Al Sharpton is a friend of mine. Sir, you are no Al Sharpton! You are, however, your father's son. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Edward B. Turner
Edward B. Turner 04/21/07 - 09:51 am
My family WILL NEVER eat at

My family WILL NEVER eat at Ryan's again. NEVER!!! Golden Corral, here we come!

bravesfan1
bravesfan1 04/21/07 - 10:09 am
Regretably, the current

Regretably, the current "double standard" will never improve, it will only worsen. As long as whites are in fear of being labeled a racist or losing their job because of "politically incorrect" statements the subject will never be formally addressed. Especially not here in ARC where the white population is the minority (42% white, 53% black).
In regards to"...who want what others have worked hard for given to them on a silver platter." We have welfare and other government assistance programs to thank for this. These programs are frequently abused, and have offered a way for SOME of the black community to sit on their rear-ends at home watching Maury find out who da baby daddy is, instead of seeking gainful employment or higher education to better they're overall situation. Everything that middle-class America struggles to obtain i.e. healthcare, housing, groceries etc. is easily obtained by these people. Let me not forget to mention that much of these is funded by middle-class America.

getalife
getalife 04/21/07 - 10:16 am
We use to eat at Ryans at

We use to eat at Ryans at least one night a week, but as of now my family will not eat there any longer!!!

gcap
gcap 04/21/07 - 10:17 am
I hate to say it, but Ausin

I hate to say it, but Ausin has every right to say what he did. I am disgusted, however, that he's the best Augusta radio can come up with and further digusted by certain members of the black community response. When are we ALL going to realize that Austin Rhodes and Champ Walker are at the bottom of their respective barrels?

crystalball
crystalball 04/21/07 - 10:21 am
Austin Rhodes was only

Austin Rhodes was only reporting. What happened to FREE SPEECH? I have a brother that was at Gracewood. He started coming home with "these words". Guess where he learned them?
Yes, from the black staff. Save your words about there not being a double standard. Ryan's we've had our last meal until you reinstate advertising with Beasley Broadcasting. Champ Walker has not shown any crediability. The more he goes the deeper it gets.

FedupwithAUG
FedupwithAUG 04/21/07 - 10:27 am
Same old %&@# Yea I wonder

Same old %&@# Yea I wonder what would happen if a WET (White entertainment Television) station would start broadcasting.

alethia
alethia 04/21/07 - 10:28 am
Personally I haven't done any

Personally I haven't done any busy with Ryan's since they treated me so rudely on veterans day. I made a complaint to the better business bureau and it was sent to them....they never bothered to even respond or defend their actions. So in my opinion I hope their business suffers so bad they leave the area.