Copenhaver aims to cut out name-calling

Augusta Mayor Deke Copenhaver joined the Rev. Larry Fryer on Monday in a news conference at city hall in response to the racial comments by Don Imus and local radio show hosts.

Mr. Copenhaver said he applauds the efforts of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference and the Rev. Fryer, president of the CSRA Chapter, for taking the initiative to stop name-calling.

"This has been a theme of mine since I ran for mayor," he said. "I've always tried to keep it to the high ground and keep it positive and never go negative because words do hurt. They have a damaging impact to our community, to our nation and particularly to our children."

Mr. Copenhaver said he would work with the leadership conference, Richmond County school board and would support various events aimed at ending name-calling.

"I'm willing to speak out about this," he said, adding the effort must involve everyone in the community.

School Board Vice President Joe Scott said he would support any measure that would stamp out name- calling, whether it be from rap artists, Don Imus or anybody else who would set bad examples for children.

A later news conference Monday drew more than a dozen Augusta area ministers who called for Beasley Broadcasting and Comcast to denounce and fire WGAC talk show host Austin Rhodes for his comments about Crystal Gail Magnum, the black woman who accused the Duke University lacrosse team of rape..

Reach Sylvia Cooper at (706) 823-3228 or sylvia.cooper@augustachronicle.com.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 04/17/07 - 04:46 am
Oh great, now all we need to

Oh great, now all we need to do is remove all similes and metaphors and we'll go a long way toward having a civilized society. No nouns or pronouns will ever have hurt feelings and all will be well with the world. I suggest we should also stop exhaling to prevent any accusatory sighs and maybe we should also remove all intersection so no one will ever pull out in front of anyone. With just a little effort I'm sure we can come up with even more stupid changes in our society that will encourage more people to find more reasons to be distressed. How silly can a society get? All political discourse, all negotiations, in fact, all conversation will have to end. Adjectives are just too suggestive to use in polite company. I could not be more offended by the stupidity of Mayor Copenhaver and the SCLC. If stupidity is ignorance on purpose, then this concerted attempt to make the Imus comments into a racial slur and then try to apply this warped and twisted interpretation to Austin Rhodes is stupidity beyond acceptance. I hereby call for the resignation of the Mayor and the SCLC from polite society. Their attack is way to offensive for me to have to live with. I may be scarred for life. Shame on you Mayor Copenhaver, this p.c. effort is being made without any intellegent thought. At a time when it's important for Augusta to have leadership, you decide to apply the mindless follow the pack technique. I'm surprised and very offended.

leeznewz
leeznewz 04/17/07 - 04:56 am
Austin gives an accurate

Austin gives an accurate assesment of the woman in the Duke case, but
because he is white and the woman is not, everyone including the
Chronicle calls him a racist. If his statement has any racist intent,
it is overt at best. Yet I've seen no articles calling Ryan B. and
Champ Walker racists, despite the fact that they routinly make
blatantly racist remarks, like all white people are devils, Andy Cheek
is in the Klan, A.K. Hassan is an uncle Tom, black children should be
taught by black teachers only etc. If Austin is a racist, he's a closet
racist, but there is no doubt about Champ and Ryan B.. Why is no one
saying this. Why this double standard. The community, both black and
white, sees it and says so. Why the double standard in the media and the Mayors office, especially when you consider the way these two have accussed and talked about Billy Morris and the Mayor?

MyOpinion1
MyOpinion1 04/17/07 - 05:03 am
Can't we all just get along

Can't we all just get along with each other. Stop hurting each other. It doesn't make any sense.

bone
bone 04/17/07 - 05:39 am
name calling? how

name calling? how embarrassing that adults are demonstrating their immaturity. remember how many kids used to cry in kindergarten class and the teacher would say, "sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can never hurt me?" looks like some people could use a refresher course. i understand columbia co. might have space in their pre-K for a few extra babies: larry, deke, al (sharpton), and jessie (jackson) should be the first to enroll.

JohnRandolphHardisonCain
JohnRandolphHardisonCain 04/17/07 - 06:24 am
My commendations to Mayor

My commendations to Mayor Copenhaver for taking the high road. He is demonstrating that he is the mayor of all Augustans. The way forward is in looking for solutions in an honest, give and take manner not in exchanging incendiary rhetoric which only inflames old hatreds and bitterness.

rcs2749
rcs2749 04/17/07 - 07:03 am
What, did Austin call a slut

What, did Austin call a slut a Ho? He has to get his terminology straight.

thewiz0oz
thewiz0oz 04/17/07 - 07:06 am
It is disturbing when a dozen

It is disturbing when a dozen Augusta area ministers demonstrate a significant lack of judgment as they identify those within their demographics they choose to represent as having the standards that define them.

Beasley Broadcasting, Comcast and WGAC talk show host Austin Rhodes accurately portrayed Crystal Gail Magnum. The black woman who accused the Duke University lacrosse team of rape is a documented woman of ill-repute who intentionally set about to destroy the reputations and lives of the Duke students.

For these ministers and others of the black community to make her a "poster-child" who represents their standards and their morality is another example of black leadership gone astray. Instead of shooting the messenger good Christian leaders should concentrate on helping Ms. Magnum and others like her to redeem themselves and live a productive life. Instead, they focus their energies on supporting a political agenda that brings harm and loss of respect of them and those they are suppose to lead.

"Lord forgive them for they know not what they do."

farmer
farmer 04/17/07 - 07:25 am
As usual Patthomas has hit

As usual Patthomas has hit the nail directly on the head from now on I just will type ditto after her articles that will save me a lot of time and effort on writing my opinion.

Yburenets
Yburenets 04/17/07 - 07:31 am
Mayor Capenhaver has a

Mayor Capenhaver has a concern for the entire Augusta area. He wants to see our city grow. Name calling is childrens play. We adults should know better. Austin should change his format and clean up his act. He along with others on our airways have become a poor example of radio communication. I applaud the mayor for standing up to this issue.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 04/17/07 - 07:43 am
Ok, let's censure all the

Ok, let's censure all the rap and hip hop, if it's good for one it should be good for all. Next, I don't want to hear all that explicit language blasting from anyones car next to mine at a red light.
The funny part is, if the prostitute were caucasion there would be no fuss... Was Austin Rhodes wrong, maybe, but no more wrong than the group of preachers wanting his head.. Quit playing the race card and start living as people, when you live above something it becomes unimportant..

PAW
PAW 04/17/07 - 07:48 am
Get RID of Austin Rhodes

Get RID of Austin Rhodes TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ga Peach
Ga Peach 04/17/07 - 07:59 am
Amen. Amen. Amen. I just love

Amen. Amen. Amen. I just love this story this morning. We have the Mayor getting involved with the stupidity of alot of I would do this so we could have favor with the city(Fryer). I totally agree with(patriciathomas)I couldn't had said it better and,(bone)don't forget Ryan B and Champ-LOL-(Firefighters are the true Heroes)

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 04/17/07 - 08:21 am
OK PAW let's get rid of

OK PAW let's get rid of Austin, then let's cancel anything that doesn't cater to each and every race simultaneously. Let's also cancel all RAP and HIP Hop artists scheduled to perform in the area and pull all their music from the stores, because I find it offensive Oh and don't forget the Sunday morning Gospel singing on television, I don't really enjoy that so lets get rid of them too. Should I go on? There really is a lot more!!

BH90201
BH90201 04/17/07 - 08:30 am
This entire situation is

This entire situation is ridiculous beyond belief. No wonder Golf Magazine made the comments about our town as they did. I for one am embarrassed by the behavior or our more "well known" citizens who are nothing more than legends in their own minds. This is negative publicity in its highest form and publicity that our community does not need. I am all for open dialogue and discussion of the problem at hand, but does this parade of reporters, talk show hosts, etc. have any idea how this is making them look? I guarantee if any of these good old boys had been at the Duke party before it went sour, drinking it up, etc., they would have contributed to the semen depositing activities and enjoyed every minute of it. But you know, if it makes you feel better to stand proudly and call names as if you are the moral compass that should guide this city, then go right ahead. Just know you look stupid and anyone with any sense whatsoever can see right through you.

bayouboogie
bayouboogie 04/17/07 - 08:32 am
Austin Rhodes was wrong...

Austin Rhodes was wrong... I'm quite sure he knew that before he made the statement. He is right in a sense, but should choose his words differently. I don't expect anything to happen to Austin. He will keep his job. He has too many rebel flag wearing hillbilly, red-neck, bald-headed, buck-tooth, white supporters listening to his broadcast to drop him. They like that kind of stuff. They need to bring Imus to Augusta. Imus and Austin vs. Jackson and Sharpton @ James Brown Civic Center.... it will be a "slobber-knocker" lights out cage match. LOL

THESOUTHLOST
THESOUTHLOST 04/17/07 - 08:34 am
Whenever a " White " person

Whenever a " White " person is called to task for something, then others are accused of playing the race card. But when Marion Williams, Charles Walker is attacked, if someone come to their defense, those people are stupid. Imus was wrong, Austin was wrong, Ryan B was wrong. Should they be fired? NO. I do not know of anyone that have made the woman in the Duke case ' A poster child". No more than whites made Charles Steward " A poster cild " for whites when he falsely accused a black person of killing his child.

jack234
jack234 04/17/07 - 09:03 am
If you use hate speech, you

If you use hate speech, you are wrong whether you are black, white or poka-dot. Rap music that degrades women should be boycotted. Sponsors of talk radio that use hate speech should be boycotted. Why talk radio can't be about the positive things that are happening in the community. Let's build up, not tear down. Augusta had too much time on its hand. Take a lesson from Atlanta, "the city too busy to hate"

constitutionnow
constitutionnow 04/17/07 - 09:14 am
I am calling for the

I am calling for the resignation of bayouboogie from any further commentaries on this or any other forums because of the use of the word "red-neck". This was a very offensive comment and I am calling for a boycott of anyone supporting bayouboogie!!! Silly isn't it???

Newsreader
Newsreader 04/17/07 - 09:18 am
I agree with the Mayor, take

I agree with the Mayor, take the high road. To paraphase scripture, as for me and my family, we will take the Lord's way. As for Austin Rhodes, the ratings speak for themselves. If you do not want to hear the trash he spews, then readjust your radio. As long as he is pulling the listeners in, then he will remain on the air. If Beasley and Comcast drop him, then other outlets that need a boost in ratings will aquire him. However, if a tree falls in the forest and noone hears it, what difference does it what it sounded like? If Rhodes broadcast but noone listens then what does it matter what he says? Support Copenhaver and the high road, and you will move away from the type of remarks that Mr. Imus and Mr. Rhodes made. The Christian way is to accept the difference and promote the good. When the audience moves away, either these gentlemen will change or go away.

Daddyrabbit
Daddyrabbit 04/17/07 - 09:44 am
1st of all these people were

1st of all these people were exercising their right to free speech. If you don't like them, just don't pay any attention to them. Pretty soon they'll attach name calling to a hate crime bill and there you have it! Can you really penalize someone for what they think? Furthermore, I hardly believe the stripper was or is a solid upstanding citizen no matter how hard she works. There's a good chance she's also a hooker and had they actually raped her the difference might have been a matter of price. Bythe way BAYOUBOOGIE....What the world needs is a few more rednecks. So, don't offend me when you speak about some of us who do not agree with your views. One more offensive remark like that and i'm going to start a movement to have this paper shut down and it'll be all your fault.

feedup
feedup 04/17/07 - 10:31 am
I think it's time we all grow

I think it's time we all grow up and quit bickering. Yes Austin was wrong for what he said and so was Imus. NOBODY and I mean NOBODY should be call out of there name. I understand what the mayor is trying to do focus on UNITY. Let's focus on how to come together not what is tearing us apart.

jack234
jack234 04/17/07 - 10:34 am
To Angel of God: Why don't

To Angel of God: Why don't you spread that same word to some of these talk show host that spew these hate messages.

jack234
jack234 04/17/07 - 10:36 am
Austin Rhodes: Did you get

Austin Rhodes: Did you get the message from the Mayor. Put the unity of Augusta above your attempts at a livihood.

lilmace
lilmace 04/17/07 - 10:40 am
Why do racists resort to

Why do racists resort to calling all whites hillbillies, rednecks, etc. For your information I'm white BUT I do not live in the hills, I am not a redneck, I'm definitely not bald, and braces straightened my teeth. I do not listen to Austin Rhodes(radio doesn't reach that far) but if I did everyone has the right to free speech. If you do not like someone on the radio TURN IT OFF, the exact same way I turn rap off. Don't make it black vs. white make it about the human race period.

Richmondcountyresident
Richmondcountyresident 04/17/07 - 10:50 am
Great job Mr. Mayor you are

Great job Mr. Mayor you are trying to make difference in a msiguided society.It is clear some in our community do not want peace and goodwill toward all Augustans.

nate59
nate59 04/17/07 - 10:54 am
Austin Rhodes was wrong, he

Austin Rhodes was wrong, he cannot give an accurate assesment and the time has come for him to be a Man and step down.

farmer
farmer 04/17/07 - 11:09 am
I say there daddy rabbit did

I say there daddy rabbit did you or did you not go to Evans high school decades ago.

Khaaaaaan
Khaaaaaan 04/17/07 - 11:12 am
n/a

jmoval
jmoval 04/17/07 - 11:42 am
Boy Austin was just being a

Boy Austin was just being a bully and he knew it would start all this taking sides based on race. He knew exactly what he was doing, because he is the biggest race baiter in the US of A.

tigger 2
tigger 2 04/17/07 - 12:10 pm
What you folks in augusta

What you folks in augusta need to do is fire the mayor and let mr. williams be mayor also fire austin and put ryan b. in his spot. Seems like the name DISGUSTA is really the correct name for a city so divided in ideals and race. Pretty sad that a city this size acts like a bunch of small children.......

Solar 'farm' for Fort Gordon?

ATLANTA -- Georgia military installations at Fort Stewart, Fort Gordon, Fort Benning and Kings Bay will one day be housing solar farms that can make them independent of the power grid in ...