Rhodes wins suit against station

AIKEN - Austin Rhodes has won damages from the Aiken radio station he says slandered him when two DJs made false statements about him on air.

The exact amount of the damages against Rejoice Network Inc. will be determined in a later court hearing, said John Harte, Mr. Rhodes' Aiken attorney.

The hearing has not been scheduled, he said.

In July, Mr. Rhodes, who has a show on WGAC-AM in Augusta, filed a lawsuit in Aiken County Common Pleas Court against WAAW-FM hosts Brian "Ryan B." Lamont Doyle and Charles "Champ" Walker and station owner Rejoice Network.

Mr. Harte said the lawsuit against Mr. Doyle is proceeding, but the radio host has "refused to respond to written questions," so he might be compelled to do so in court.

"We will move forward as rapidly as we can," Mr. Harte said.

He also said Mr. Rhodes has "reached an understanding" with Mr. Walker.

According to the judgment order signed by 2nd Judicial Circuit Court Judge Jack Early on Feb. 5, no one from Rejoice Network showed up for a hearing on the lawsuit Jan. 2.

Judge Early subsequently ruled in Mr. Rhodes' favor, and Rejoice did not appeal the ruling.

Since Mr. Rhodes' lawsuit was filed last year, five others have filed civil suits against Mr. Doyle and Rejoice.

The subsequent lawsuits were filed in Richmond County Superior Court, and the plaintiffs include the Rev. Kenneth Martin, the Rev. Charles N. Utley, Richmond County Sheriff Ronnie Strength, the Rev. Clarence Moore and bank executive Cedric Johnson.

A lawsuit represents only one side of a dispute.

Although WAAW is in Aiken, the plaintiffs argue that Augusta courts have jurisdiction because most of the station's audience is across the river.

Reach Sandi Martin at (803) 648-1395, ext. 111, or sandi.martin@augustachronicle.com.

puddingpie
puddingpie 04/11/07 - 10:52 pm
MNWilliams111 correct me if

MNWilliams111 correct me if i'm wrong, but I don't recall using my name in my post. Oh I get it, you mean my display name, yes it is in small caps, but i was referring to at the beginning of a sentence, use capitalization, regardless if it is a proper noun or not, we always start sentences with a capital letter. I graduated from Winthrop University with a degree in Accounting, and i must toot my own horn, with Honors. My English degree started in my home, my parents, and one more thing, Paine College may not be on the map as one of the more prestigious colleges, but good things are taking place. I know at least two people who graduated in four years and are now doing exceptionally well in there field of study, so before you downplay Paine College, just remember, it's not where you attend school, it's how well you apply yourself while you're there. Look we have a living example, Mr. President, attended outstanding college, but barely graduated, not because he's dumb, all because he didn't apply himself. So until you've taken classes at Paine or any other college that is beneath you, don't downplay them we are bigger than that MNWilliams111. Have a great day.

Ga Peach
Ga Peach 04/11/07 - 11:05 pm
Denarli, please don't get the

Denarli, please don't get the wrong idea. Ryan B only states what being told to him by others. Some things he investigate and some he just go out on a limb with but theres alot of truth to the matter concerning some of the ones who now have brought forth these lawsuits. As I stated everyone has their own opinion and I love to have debates with people thats exactly what I do. Now as for taxes paying for people that don't deserved them it's basically okay do to the law will continue to catch the crooks and stop the crime that these people continue to do. Remember every dog has his day and although Ryan might be a convicted criminal but what about Austin maybe he just was protected by the other crooks out there. I believe in unity I don't differ from noone but I do state the truth.. Peace and Love-Peaches

Khaaaaaan
Khaaaaaan 04/11/07 - 11:11 pm
n/a

Ga Peach
Ga Peach 04/11/07 - 11:39 pm
Khaaaaaan, I understand what

Khaaaaaan, I understand what you'll saying but please don't get it twisted Ryan B nor Austin can speak for me as well as others in Augusta. It's sad that everyone around the world can see the damage that both of these people as well as others are causing here form backstabbers, liers, cheaters, crooks, and the list could go on forever. Although the truth is out there maybe I might open a station and allow people to not just air the dirt but show the love and unity in Augusta that some people are over looking.Peace Out-Peaches

CantTrustaDumbocrat
CantTrustaDumbocrat 04/12/07 - 12:04 am
cassandra if I thought you

cassandra if I thought you deserved the respect of a capital letter you would have received it. It was NOT an oversite on my part. You elued to watch what I say as it could be slander,well Ryan B spent two years in a federal pen so it that is not a convicted felon and a loser I don't know what is.

justputtin
justputtin 04/12/07 - 11:56 am
Cassandra w/ a capital C,

Cassandra w/ a capital C, you're right! I missplelled grammar. The difference between us is I don't correct others like you were trying to do. Just letting you know that if you are going to do that you should be more careful and not have errors yourself. It makes you look bad. Remember the saying "Those that live in glass houses........................."?

justputtin
justputtin 04/12/07 - 12:00 pm
Hey, I just misspelled the

Hey, I just misspelled the word misspelled! @%&*!!!!!

Ga Peach
Ga Peach 04/12/07 - 01:32 pm
lol

lol

justputtin
justputtin 04/13/07 - 06:46 am
Where'd everyone go??? What

Where'd everyone go??? What was this story about anyway? These things always turn into something else.

Ga Peach
Ga Peach 04/14/07 - 07:36 pm
lol

lol

justputtin
justputtin 04/15/07 - 10:14 pm
Peaches, I'm glad you

Peaches, I'm glad you appreciate my humor. Where'd you go? We need to lol more. We'll get to comment tomorrow. They're picketing for Austin's firing now that they smell blood - Imus's.

TheShadow
TheShadow 04/16/07 - 02:47 am
I watched "Champ" Walker on

I watched "Champ" Walker on TV calling for Austin to be fired. Jr has been after Austin since ustin helped put jr's old man in jail. Jr has no other reason but hate and will stop at nothing to try and get Austin any way he can, fair or foul.

Ga Peach
Ga Peach 04/16/07 - 07:14 am
lol-Oh brother do you

lol-Oh brother do you remember that saying "what goes around comes around" and don't dis it if you can't fix it. Now it's time for Champ to get his show going maybe he'll bring in SCLC of the CSRA.

Ga Peach
Ga Peach 04/16/07 - 08:17 am
One more thing Firefighters

One more thing Firefighters are the true heroes and I think I will let this be known throughout the comments online. Give them more money!!!

ms.acevado
ms.acevado 04/17/07 - 05:39 pm
boy i swear yall got so far

boy i swear yall got so far off the topic it wasn't even funny!!!!

SAYWHATFORREAL
SAYWHATFORREAL 04/23/07 - 04:33 am
well my brothers and sisters,

well my brothers and sisters, another one bites the dust. To AUSTIN, I ain't mad at ya!......................
FACTS are FACTS, and FICTION is FICTION.
To RYAN, you need to learn to let go and let GOD, YOU ARE JUST ANOTHER VOICE ON THE RADIO. YOU HAD THE POWER TO BRING PEACE. INSTEAD YOU CREATED A BATTLE FIELD. AND THE BATTLE IS NOT YOURS.
YES, I am black myself and I do believe that with GOD all things are possible. Take a lesson, select a topic, voice it, then step back and SHUT THE HELL UP.

GAON MY MIND
GAON MY MIND 05/22/07 - 02:41 pm
I can not see the mindset of

I can not see the mindset of some people.The bottom line is pastors are people to,but or held in higher stander by man because he is a man of God.Say, he that was called to teach the word to the people.As for the pastors against Rayan B ,you need to back and read what say the Lord.

(1corinthians.6 v 1-8) Read and be your on judge.God bless