Rhodes wins suit against station

AIKEN - Austin Rhodes has won damages from the Aiken radio station he says slandered him when two DJs made false statements about him on air.

The exact amount of the damages against Rejoice Network Inc. will be determined in a later court hearing, said John Harte, Mr. Rhodes' Aiken attorney.

The hearing has not been scheduled, he said.

In July, Mr. Rhodes, who has a show on WGAC-AM in Augusta, filed a lawsuit in Aiken County Common Pleas Court against WAAW-FM hosts Brian "Ryan B." Lamont Doyle and Charles "Champ" Walker and station owner Rejoice Network.

Mr. Harte said the lawsuit against Mr. Doyle is proceeding, but the radio host has "refused to respond to written questions," so he might be compelled to do so in court.

"We will move forward as rapidly as we can," Mr. Harte said.

He also said Mr. Rhodes has "reached an understanding" with Mr. Walker.

According to the judgment order signed by 2nd Judicial Circuit Court Judge Jack Early on Feb. 5, no one from Rejoice Network showed up for a hearing on the lawsuit Jan. 2.

Judge Early subsequently ruled in Mr. Rhodes' favor, and Rejoice did not appeal the ruling.

Since Mr. Rhodes' lawsuit was filed last year, five others have filed civil suits against Mr. Doyle and Rejoice.

The subsequent lawsuits were filed in Richmond County Superior Court, and the plaintiffs include the Rev. Kenneth Martin, the Rev. Charles N. Utley, Richmond County Sheriff Ronnie Strength, the Rev. Clarence Moore and bank executive Cedric Johnson.

A lawsuit represents only one side of a dispute.

Although WAAW is in Aiken, the plaintiffs argue that Augusta courts have jurisdiction because most of the station's audience is across the river.

Reach Sandi Martin at (803) 648-1395, ext. 111, or sandi.martin@augustachronicle.com.

MARGJE
MARGJE 04/11/07 - 05:22 am
Man, who cares about either

Man, who cares about either one of them. People wake up and start caring for your city. I dont even live in Augusta anymore and I hear about this crap all the way in Atlanta. Im glad im not in that backward CSRA anymore. All of you need to get a LIFE. And Im not talking about the magazine.

puddingpie
puddingpie 04/11/07 - 06:11 am
Justmefromwayback, yes you

Justmefromwayback, yes you are correct on one thing, your display name. You are obviously from way back, you don't have the brain of a flea to express your opinion. To use such language to express your opinion, because that's all it is, an opinion, shows your character of a child, oh i apologize maybe you are a young child, because I would hate to think that an educated adult would allow Ryan B's thoughts, opinions, slander however you want to call it would make you boil enough to want to subject yourself to such petty words to express your humble feelings. Now maybe we both need to blow the dust off Webster, because it's quite obvious you have a language barrier, it does not extend beyond your front porch, but I still love you for the person that you are, just take the time to come from way back, and into now because there are young adults who read these blogs and let's show them we as adults can express ourselves as adults. Now breathe and have a nice day.

puddingpie
puddingpie 04/11/07 - 06:47 am
Georgialina, hi this is

Georgialina, hi this is Cassandra with a capital C, remember to always start a sentence with capital letters, especially proper nouns. Now on to business thanks for sharing your thoughts on my comments, but the opinion you have about Ryan B(calling him a loser and convicted felon) may actually be true but whose to say that Mr. Doyle opinions are not true? The only felons I take the time to look up are the ones who commit crimes on our little, innocent children.So Georgialina before you call any one else names, or express your opinion of another individual, be selective in the adjectives you choose, before it becomes another lawsuit of slander. Smiles

gnx
gnx 04/11/07 - 07:34 am
I heard about Ryan B. so I

I heard about Ryan B. so I listened to his show several times. Yes, some of what he said made sense, but only a few things. The rest of it was absolutely appalling. Let's just say I heard more than enough to understand the merit behind the suits filed against the station and applaud the actions of those who have filed suit.

chancy
chancy 04/11/07 - 08:58 am
If everyone who makes a gag

If everyone who makes a gag remark about another race were fired we would all be out of work, including Reverend Sharpton and Jessie Jackson

georgiadawg1
georgiadawg1 04/11/07 - 09:16 am
I find it interesting after

I find it interesting after reading these posts that the only racist comments and words mentioned are coming from the blacks on this board. So far I have heard "Uncle Tom" which is a term that describes a black person who sides with white people and does not support "the black way of thinking". Also, others have referred to white people as "Redd-Necks" and "Hillbilly Rednecks". Now, please show me where any person on this forum has posted a slang, racist word about a black person? They haven't. So really, the racism is not coming from the whites reading and responding to this article, but rather from the blacks. And further more, I think that others would have more respect and understanding for some of the opinions and arguments stated on this board IF WE COULD ACTUALLY READ AND UNDERSTAND WHAT IS WRITTEN. I'm not saying that I don't misspell words or have typos in some of my posts, but at least what I write is comprehendable. I need an interpreter to understand some of these responses that are written. Bottom line, Austin stood up for himself and took rightful legal action against Ryan B as he should have. Good for him, and I hope they get this loser off the air waves.

WW1949
WW1949 04/11/07 - 09:42 am
LIsten to the music, I find

LIsten to the music, I find it disturbing that the rappers can call women that and not get in trouble, that black artist call themselves the "N" word and it's ok, that they use every kind of insult to their race and it's ok. But let someone white say something like that and it's not ok. How dare they insult their race in such a shameful way and think it's ok. I also take exception to being called a "Red Neck" of which I'm not and never have been. It's not right for you to call me a "Red Neck" and it's not right for me to insult you. But I guess the uneducated think that way in all races of people wheather it be Aisan, White or Black.

WW1949
WW1949 04/11/07 - 09:49 am
Peaches, Last week you said I

Peaches, Last week you said I must only be able to count to 1,2,3. You also said you had a store and wanted people to come in a spend money so you could get richer. I answered you and asked where your store was so I could come in and help you get richer by spending some of mine if you had the type of goods I wanted. You never replied back. Why not? Is is because you posted such a nasty reply back when I asked you to use periods in the right places so your sentences don not run together. It makes it easier to read. I respect your opinion and hope you respect my opinion.

fergie01
fergie01 04/11/07 - 09:51 am
i love to listen to austin on

i love to listen to austin on the radio. i am just really surprised that he does not get sued.

WW1949
WW1949 04/11/07 - 09:52 am
AugKitty, are you "E's"

AugKitty, are you "E's" mother? BJ are my initials and we worked together a long time.

WW1949
WW1949 04/11/07 - 09:52 am
AugKitty, are you "E's"

bigbadjohn
bigbadjohn 04/11/07 - 10:36 am
Let this be a lesson for all

Let this be a lesson for all who speak lies against God's annointed and appointed. This is God justice and answered prayers. What he has said about local Pastors is nothing more than EVIL. Shut it down Lord shut it down!

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon 04/11/07 - 10:38 am
Austin Rhodes has allowed

Austin Rhodes has allowed slander on his radio program. The man might be clean himself, but he has some people in his circle that I find pretty disgusting. One of his good buddies apparently allowed a young black man to hang himself in his jail. That whole supposed Christian radio station and Ryan B was a joke that black pople pulled on themselves. They need to find some respected spokespersons somewhere between Uncle Tom and the Sharptons and Ryan B's. The gift of gab without integrity behind it is just noise. I would take the job, but I am white.

justputtin
justputtin 04/11/07 - 10:39 am
Cassandra, you correct

Cassandra, you correct others' grammer and then use "whose to say" which is horribly wrong grammer. You make yourself look bad by correcting others and then making your own blunders. You made good points, though.
It's a shame how racism is so alive in this town.

feedup
feedup 04/11/07 - 12:12 pm
I think Austin and Ryan need

I think Austin and Ryan need to take a long look at what is happening to Augusta because of this mess. Both of them have said some horrible things. It doesn't matter what color we are, we should be trying to make this a better place to live. As fas as Imus goes, that was not a nice thing to say about anybody, but let's be truthful, we have it in our music, videos and it is on tv know. If we don't want others calling us name then we must stop referring to our black women and using the "N" word so losely.

Ga Peach
Ga Peach 04/11/07 - 02:48 pm
Denali123 believe me I don't

Denali123 believe me I don't have to answer to you or anyone just the Lord. As for you trying to find out about my business just (start singing) everywhere you go tell the people that you want to know where Peaches are-they will tell you she makes her money like you do just alot more. Thanks for your opinion I really really love your opinions see look at my face..

mnwilliams111
mnwilliams111 04/11/07 - 04:05 pm
Cassandra, While I thank you

Cassandra,
While I thank you for your most interesting posts and opinions, please feel free to learn how to correctly punctuate. Your posts always crack me up. Yes, you can spell and your command of the English is quite impressive. Now figure out how to use punctuation.

You don't even capitalize your own name in your posts. Quit throwing stones at others supposed "flaws".
By the way, where did you get your English degree?

THESOUTHLOST
THESOUTHLOST 04/11/07 - 04:32 pm
MNWILLIAMS111. Do you feel

MNWILLIAMS111. Do you feel beter? What about commenting on the facts. Where did you get your degree from?

mnwilliams111
mnwilliams111 04/11/07 - 05:13 pm
Yep, I feel much beter. And

Yep, I feel much beter. And my degree is from Paine College....not!

THESOUTHLOST
THESOUTHLOST 04/11/07 - 05:17 pm
What. I guess that was a hit

What. I guess that was a hit on Paine? So, you think you are special? I know a lot of people with degrees. Most come in handy when you run out of toilet paper. Since you are so proud of your degree, why not state what college it is from?

Dedicated
Dedicated 04/11/07 - 05:22 pm
Rhodes is an idiot and he did

Rhodes is an idiot and he did it for the publicity. No one takes Austin serious....he is there for entertainment and nothing more........So don't expect any mind altering wisdom to come from his default judgment.

kingcobra
kingcobra 04/11/07 - 05:28 pm
THESOUTHLOST.....u still

THESOUTHLOST.....u still fighting the civil war?

Khaaaaaan
Khaaaaaan 04/11/07 - 06:04 pm
n/a

JohnSipp
JohnSipp 04/11/07 - 06:20 pm
I thought that Christian

I thought that Christian radio was to bring unity to the peaple of God, but to me it seems that all this station is doing is dividing them in to groups. I just pray that the peaple will learn to follow the voice of Christ and not the voice on the radio.

owensjef
owensjef 04/11/07 - 08:45 pm
Whites and Christ, lets see

Whites and Christ, lets see lets role the film on whites and Christ these last 400 years and lets see what we get.

ALMONDEYES1280
ALMONDEYES1280 04/11/07 - 09:21 pm
To All of the Austins out

To All of the Austins out there... I have one question what did you do to be White? Nothing. That's what I thought. This lawsuit is a blatant display of his disregard of the Justice System, which he won by default...that means he did nothing to win but show up in court. The Judge should award him $1.00 in pennies:)

owensjef
owensjef 04/11/07 - 09:27 pm
aman almondeyes

aman almondeyes

puddingpie
puddingpie 04/11/07 - 10:09 pm
Oh Brother just a note of

Oh Brother just a note of thanks for correcting me on my grammar. I welcome good criticism. Oh Brother take a moment and reread your blog to me, you misspelled grammar. God is good, all the time!!!!

WW1949
WW1949 04/11/07 - 10:35 pm
Peaches, I doubt you like my

Peaches, I doubt you like my opinions because they are different from yours. I 'm glad you make alot more money than I do so your taxes will help pay for the checks that the government send out to people who don't deserve them.
I love your come backs, keep up the good work.

WW1949
WW1949 04/11/07 - 10:51 pm
Peaches, by the way. I think

Peaches, by the way. I think Austin is just an entertainer and has a very high opinion of himself. Most of the white people who really are the movers and shakers of Augusta don't pay much attention to blow hards like him. They keep on doing what they do and let him do what he does best, get others stired up. But Ryan B is a convicted criminal and should not be looked up to as a mentor to the black race. I'm sure most of the black movers and shakers of Augusta do not pay any attention to him either. What's your opinion?