Man charged with murder

A man who once helped Danny L. Jones with his show chickens is accused of killing him Thursday.

Paul F. Blevins, 56, was accused Thursday of killing Danny Jones, 62.  Special
Special
Paul F. Blevins, 56, was accused Thursday of killing Danny Jones, 62.

Mr. Jones, 62, a veteran teacher who showed chickens and judged chicken contests in his spare time, was found beaten to death just before 6 p.m..

Firefighters called to Mr. Jones' Tobacco Road home found him lying in the front yard. Investigators realized Mr. Jones' Ford truck was missing, and they put out an alert for the vehicle.

A deputy stopped Paul F. Blevins, 56, who was driving the truck, less than 20 minutes later, said Richmond County sheriff's Sgt. Richard Roundtree.

Mr. Blevins was charged with driving under the influence. Investigators believe stains on his clothing were blood, Sgt. Roundtree said Friday in a news release.

On Friday, the detective said Mr. Blevins had worked for Mr. Jones, caring for his chickens. The men hadn't been in contact for a couple of years before Thursday, he said.

Mr. Blevins is charged with murder, but other charges will be determined after the fire department completes its investigation, Sgt. Roundtree said.

Mr. Jones was an educator for more than 30 years. He was the longest-serving headmaster in the Georgia Independent School Association, with 27 years of service.

Mr. Jones' leadership and experience were critical in helping Edmund Burke Academy recover from a 2001 fire, Headmaster Brent Cribb said.

"He took Edmund Burke through some tough times," Mr. Cribb said. "He was just a true educator. He cared about children. He had a heart for it."

Principal Veta New, of Hephzibah High School, where Mr. Jones was teaching, agreed with Mr. Cribb's assessment.

Mr. Jones was "gentle and wise," she said. He taught geography and world history.

"He was well-liked by all the faculty at the school and seemed to be by all the children, too," Dr. New said.

The only thing that seemed to be troubling him recently was the theft of some of his chickens, she said.

Sgt. Roundtree said it seemed impossible to tell whether any birds were harmed or stolen during the homicide: "There are too many to tell."

There were some personal items stolen, some of which were recovered with Mr. Blevins, the detective said. He declined to describe the items.

Mr. Blevins has a previous conviction for two counts of making terroristic threats. He was sentenced to five years' probation in July 2001, according to Richmond County Superior Court records.

Reach Sandy Hodson at (706) 823-3226 or sandy.hodson@augustachronicle.com.

harpdr
harpdr 04/07/07 - 03:44 am
Danny never hurt anyone and

Danny never hurt anyone and helped this man in the past, I hope this Blevins individual is not allowed back into society again. It's a shame he wasn't already spending the rest of his life in jail for previous threats made.

prettygirl30906
prettygirl30906 04/07/07 - 07:55 am
My husband and I knew both

My husband and I knew both these men. Mr. Jones will be missed very much. And as for Mr. Blevine he need to get alot of time for this. It was not far to Danny. My Husband and I use to go see Danny and get some chickens from him. I went to Hephzibah High and I do recall seeing him there teaching all though I never had him as a teacher. I am very sadden by this whole thing.

tombee
tombee 04/07/07 - 08:26 am
Danny Jones was the only

Danny Jones was the only principal that hundreds of kids ever had from first through twelfth grades. He spent twenty seven years at Edmund Burke Academy in Waynesboro and is part of that family. "Mr. Jones" never had any biological children, but in a sense those kids were all his. A few years ago, he gave an address to the graduating class where he proclaimed Jeses as his Savior. May he find that eternal rest now that only faith in Christ can bring.

AugustaHeph homeowner
AugustaHeph homeowner 04/07/07 - 08:52 am
No matter what Mr. Jones and

No matter what Mr. Jones and Blevins had to say to each other, Mr. Jones did not deserve to be beaten to death, or his house set on fire. This is a disgrace, and I usually would not say; give him the worst punishment ever, but in this case YES. Both my children went to Hepzibah and I'm sure when I tell my daughter she will be saddened when I tell them about this tradegy and Bless my sons heart, he will see Mr. JOnes in Heaven and know what happened. May God take care of Mr. Jones family, siblings, parents and all who knew him.
I'm sure RCSD will put Blevins where he needs to be.

vwhaney57
vwhaney57 04/07/07 - 10:55 am
I was surprised and shocked

I was surprised and shocked to learn on Friday morning about Danny's murder. My association with him was both as a former student and as a coworker. His astonishment at seeing both my sister and I walk the halls of Hephzibah will remain with me forever. I, along with other Hephzibah faculty, will miss seeing his face light when we talk of silly student behaviors.

WhiteBirddog
WhiteBirddog 04/07/07 - 11:16 am
Danny Jones was a remarkable

Danny Jones was a remarkable man. He seemed like a rock on the outside, but was a genuine "softy" on the inside. I am thankful that he was a constant force in the education of both of my children for their entire 13 years each at E.B.A. They not only respected him, but also knew him as a friend that they could go to with a problem. His laughter was hearty and infectuous and usually came with blushing cheeks. Danny did not have any biological children, but he was a constant force in the "raising" of a few hundred more than any "FATHER OF THE YEAR" recipient. So many kids (who had troubles at home) that he helped along the way thought that they knew all of the tricks to get past Mr. Jones. They just didn't know that he had taken them under his wing to help them find their place in life in the midst of their troubles. One young man told me yesterday that he thought he was really pulling the wool over him when he was helping him with his chickens, because Danny was paying him way too much for the couple of hours each day. It was not until he was a grown man that he realized he was just helping him and his widowed mother during a difficult time. Oh, how I will miss this friend!

tiredOFitALL
tiredOFitALL 04/07/07 - 12:30 pm
Mr. Jones was my Asst

Mr. Jones was my Asst Principal At Hephzibah High from 1973-1975. He was a stern AP, as APs should be , but he was always fair and ready to listen to any issues you might need to discuss. I have 2 children whom I removed from Richmond Cty schools and entered them at EBA when Mr. Jones was Headmaster. He was one of the reasons my wife and I chose EBA. I felt comfortable with him and believe he always put the school and the kids first.
I certainly pray that justice will prevail in this matter.

ganascarracefan
ganascarracefan 04/07/07 - 01:22 pm
my son as well went to

my son as well went to hephzibah n he was a great guy...i hope that guy that did this get the same treatment when he hits them prison walls

JUST_ME
JUST_ME 04/07/07 - 06:11 pm
My son ,also named Danny, is

My son ,also named Danny, is a current homeroom student. My son and I want to send our condolences to his family. Your family will be in our prayers. He will be missed and remembered by many!!!

porkchop1963
porkchop1963 04/07/07 - 09:08 pm
paul f. blevins had a

paul f. blevins had a sickness when he was drinking. i think the fault should be laid on anheuser bush and the government because people that have a history of violence should not be able to purchase beer. and also fault should be laid on his wife who left him alone at walmart instead of calling the police, she knew how he was when he had alcohol. im not saing what mr. blevins did was o,k but he was known to have a sickness pertaining to alcohol.so my oppionion is that anhesuser bush and the government is to blame for this ungodly crime because there is no law that permits people with a history to buy alcohol.

porkchop1963
porkchop1963 04/07/07 - 09:16 pm
paul was a good man when he

paul was a good man when he was not on alcohol. it is the beer company and the government that allows people with a violent history to buy beer. it should be a law passed that anyone with a past history related to alcohol should be marked on their licences so they could not buy. alcohol is the leading cause of deathes in the usa.so blame them for all the lives that alcohol played a part in taking.

TATHOMAS
TATHOMAS 04/07/07 - 09:36 pm
I met Danny back in 1989 at

I met Danny back in 1989 at an exhibition poultry show.Danny was an American Poultry Association and Bantam Association licensed judge.He judged poultry at state fairs and shows around the country.His knowledge of poultry was great. Danny was a Leghorn chicken expert and told me once after looking at a young rooster I was raising that a ''leghorn Is a bird of curves''.That was what made them so beautiful.He said that I should retain this bird not for what he was now but what he would become.I think he saw possibilities in all creatures .Danny was a Christian and a Roman Catholic who often talked about salvation and the Holy Bible .I travelled with him to shows and was a member of several poultry clubs with Danny.I understand through a friend that Danny was even talking about retiring in less than 24 months to pursue full time judging of poultry and travelling to the shows while tending his flock of birds at his home.My prayers go out to his loved ones and all those near and dear to him.When he closed his eyes on earth he opened them up to the love and everlasting care of Jesus Christ our Saviour.Danny Jones will be missed by many people.God have mercy on that pitiful soul that took Danny Jones life.

ampng88
ampng88 04/07/07 - 10:57 pm
I had Mr. Jones as a

I had Mr. Jones as a principal in elementary school at EBA and I remember a very nice guy who wanted what was best for his students. I don't believe the alcohol company should be blamed it was Mr. Blevins who did this. Thank you to Deputy Carroll for pulling Mr. Blevins over on a DUI before he could harm any one else.

zlively
zlively 04/07/07 - 11:12 pm
Danny Jones, you will be

Danny Jones, you will be missed. As a first year teacher you provided me with helping hand and a few jokes to get me through the toughest year of my life. between faculty meetings and private lunches you have touched our lives on the freshman hall and your timely humor and wisdom will be missed just as much as it was appreciated. May your spirit be with us always.-zl

brownskin30434
brownskin30434 04/09/07 - 09:08 am
porkchop1963: As this message

porkchop1963: As this message is a few days past the original article, you might now get to see it. To suggest that anyone besides this Blevins is responsible for his actions is really asinine. No one held a gun to Blevins' head and made him consume Anheiser-Busch's product.
It sounds as if you have personal knowledge of this Blevin's character. If that is the case, would it not be a fair assessment to say that you, too, are responsible. You knew that this individual was a danger to others and possibly himself when he drank, yet you did nothing to see that he got help.

chicken lady
chicken lady 04/09/07 - 05:55 pm
Danny will be missed greatly

Danny will be missed greatly by all his "chicken friends." He was a super person to know and to talk to. He was a fair minded chicken judge and always judged by how the chicken met the specifications and not by who it belonged to. He was well respected by his friends and acquaintances at the shows. I have been to shows from Florida to Virginia where he judged, and was always happy to hear him prattle on about this bird, or that bird. Chickens have a way of becoming like pets, and I'm sure his birds will miss him too. This is such a shame. I wish it had not happened.

Chicken Lady

moorebecky
moorebecky 04/09/07 - 09:33 pm
For everyone! No one should

For everyone! No one should be hurt or killed. I knew Mr. Jones from Hephzibah High and I knew Mr. Blevins and both men were nice on there good days. All people have problems when their Drinking so that does not give anyone the right to hurt or kill . Blevins was quite and staied to his self. Most of the time I saw him when he was sitting on his porch. We just have to learn not to be afraid to make a stand to help one another.

student
student 04/09/07 - 11:56 pm
Mr. Jones was my world geo.

Mr. Jones was my world geo. teacher my freshman year. Everyday on my way to lunch I always ask, how u doing Mr. Jones and he would say, I'm here ain't I. Mr. Jones, I will miss those positive words on my way to lunch now but I know that your in a better place and all of us at Hephzibah High will miss your positive character.

JOHNDoE
JOHNDoE 04/10/07 - 08:14 am
What a sad world we live in!

What a sad world we live in!

harpdr
harpdr 04/10/07 - 08:22 am
Violent alcoholics cannot be

Violent alcoholics cannot be stopped without jailing them forever. There just isn't enough law enforcement to police everyone. It is a real shame the damage that alcohol causes our society.

s_yoakum
s_yoakum 04/12/07 - 02:28 pm
My husband and I were so

My husband and I were so shocked when we learned about what had happened to Danny. We just couldn't believe it! He was such a caring person. Mr. Jones has judged our poultry show at the Orangeburg County Fair for over 20 years. We always looked forward to seeing him every year. Our sympathy goes out to his family. He will be greatly missed by all of his friends at the chicken barn in Orangeburg. Truly missed. Thanks Mr. Danny for all the great times!! God Bless You.
-Robert and Susan Yoakum, Orangeburg

Morning wreck slows traffic

Expect delays at Peach Orchard Road near Bobby Jones Expressway after a wreck involving an 18-wheeler.