- The Columbia County Recreation Department is looking for individuals to officiate youth baseball/softball. They are seeking high school students ages 14 and older and adults to be officials. If interested, contact Christi DeLoach at (706) 312-7411, Jim Mock at (706) 312-7407 or Gary Tam at (706) 312-7409.
- Masters City Little League is looking for volunteer umpires for the upcoming baseball season. For more information, call Robbie Silas at (706) 796-2670.
- The Augusta Blaze, a semi-professional women's basketball team, will conduct tryouts April 15 at 3 p.m. For more information regarding location and fees, contact Erika Stokes via e-mail at email@example.com or call (706) 399-7499.
- The YBOA/AAU Decepticons boys 17-under basketball team is looking for players who want to travel and compete at the highest level. Call coach Mike Childs at (706) 421-9783 or assistant coach Vinnie Armstrong at (706) 589-5205 to schedule an appointment for a tryout. The team has been established as an AAU team since 2002.
- The Augusta Boxing Club will present open-to-the-public sparring matches the last Thursday of each month at Augusta Boxing Club. Adult boxers must weigh in the previous Monday, and youth must weigh in on Tuesday to be eligible to spar. For information, call Tom Moraetes at (706) 733-7533.
- The Haydens All Star Cheerleading Program will hold preparation clinics and tryouts for its 2007-08 competition cheerleading squads April 9-11 at the Haydens Cheerleading Academy at 4300 Evans to Locks Road in Evans. Boys and girls in 12th grade and below are eligible. No experience is necessary. For more information, please call Leslie Anderson at (706) 868-0608.
- Habitat for Humanity of North Augusta will hold a Lick Fork Park Bike Ride on April 15 at 2 p.m. for 30, 60 and 90 miles. Registration before April 13 is $20; fee is $25 after. For more information, go to www.andyjordans.com or call Andy or Drew at (706) 724-6777.
- The Youth Education & Sports Inc. will hold its third annual Spring Break Football & Cheer Camp from 8 a.m. until 3:15 p.m. from Monday to Friday at The Boys & Girls Club off Broad Street in Augusta. At the camp, local sports organizations will provide interactive displays and demonstrations designed to educate children about different types of positions related to football and different fundamentals related to cheerleading. More than a dozen sports groups and sports-related businesses will be represented. Youth Education & Sports Inc. is a nonprofit, member-run organization aimed at promoting football cheer/dance throughout the Central Savannah River Area and offers programs for ages 5-16. The cost of the camp is $85 per child for the week and is open to the public. For additional information, contact Brittney Dent at (706) 373-0273.
- The Fore Everyone adaptive free clinic is held the second Tuesday of every month from 10 a.m. until noon at First Tee of Augusta. The clinic is designed to work on swing, stance and grip, putting, chipping, and driving for golfers with disabilities. For more information, call Judie Thompson at (706) 823-8691.
- The Columbia County Lacrosse Club is looking for athletes for the spring 2007 season. Experience is a plus but not necessary. Some start-up equipment is available for players who are new to the sport. For more information, call (706) 854-1908 or (706) 733-4271, or go to www.augustalacrosse.com.
- The Aiken County Recreation Center is offering karate classes on Mondays and Thursdays from 7-8:30 p.m. The classes cost $25 per month, and there are no payment contracts. For more information, call (803) 663-6142.
- The Augusta Rugby Football Club practices Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. at May Park. New players are welcome. For information, call Tony Martin at (803) 292-6278, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Phinizy Swamp will hold its "Swing through the Swamp" on Saturday beginning at 9:30 a.m. The Southeastern Natural Sciences Academy's trained volunteers will lead a free 2.5-mile, 90-minute walk past wetlands and swamps, over picturesque trails and scenic outlooks. For information, call (706) 828-2109 in advance.
- The third annual Alleluia Glory Run 5K will be held April 14 at 8 a.m. The run will take place in the Faith Village neighborhood off of Lumpkin Road and will benefit Alleluia Community School. Alleluia is a private, Christian K-12 school in Augusta. Children are invited to race in the one-mile fun run/walk at 9 a.m. There will also be a Tot Trot for preschool-age children. This year's race will again feature a Military Category, with reduced entry fees ($12.50) for members of the military, as well as a Military Best Time Award. Register now at the Alleluia Community Office (706) 798-1882 or at yeslord.com. The pre-registration fee is $15 through April 5 and includes a Glory Run T-shirt, water bottle and other goodies. After April 5 and on race day from 7-7:45 a.m., runners can register for $18. For more information, contact Dian Conkright at (706) 796-2929.
- The sixth annual Swamp Stomp 5K run/walk will take place at 8 a.m. on April 21 at Phinizy Swamp Nature Park. Race-day registration and packet pickup for all registrants will be available from 7 until 7:45 a.m. in the Pfizer Pavilion at the park. The cross country course runs through scenic Nature Park woods and wetlands and has mild changes in elevation. It features no hard surfaces, dry conditioned course through woods and a wet conditioned course around wetlands on gravel-covered berms. No strollers or pets, please. Early registration costs $18 ($12 without a T-shirt) or $20 ($15) on race day. For more information, contact Dana Putnam, event coordinator, at (706) 828-2109 or register online at www.active.com.
- USSSA Camelia City Classic for men's C, D and E at Sweetwater Park on April 7; USSSA Georgia Cup Challenge No. 4 for men's C, D and E and women's C and D at Diamond Lakes Park on April 14; USSSA Georgia Cup Challenge No. 5 for men's C, D and E and women's C and D at Paulson Complex in Savannah, Ga., on April 21. For more information, call Bob at (706) 556-9798 or Cap at (706) 738-0723, or go to www.eastgausssa.com.
- Carolina 12U fastpitch team is looking for three players for its travel team. For information, call Mike at (803) 593-8091 or (803) 349-7399.
- The Dixie Mystix 10U travel softball team is looking for the very best 9- and 10-year-old players. For more information, call Trevor Henderson at (803) 593-6209 or (803) 270-5591.
- The 14U Georgia Rockers fast-pitch softball team is looking for two position players for the 2007 season. Only experienced/committed players capable of playing at the A level need apply. For more information, contact Tom Tracy at (706) 860-1917 or Darrell Hampson at (706) 868-8546.
- The Georgia Rockers 12U fast-pitch softball team is looking for three or four girls to complete the team. We are looking for players who want to increase their softball skills and talent. If interested, please call Ike Branch at (706) 860-3886 or (706) 373-9581 for additional information.