Across South Carolina

  • Follow Metro

County gives up fight for proposed terminal

CHARLESTON - Jasper County has given up its fight against the South Carolina State Ports Authority over control of a proposed Savannah River terminal after its financial backer dropped out, county officials said.

Seattle-based SSA Marine Inc., the private port operator that had been backing the county's court challenge of the state's plans for the terminal, has decided to stop funding the case, County Administrator Andrew Fulghum said Tuesday.

Mexican girl misled into prostitution ring

COLUMBIA - A 14-year-old girl from Mexico was smuggled into the United States and forced into prostitution by illegal immigrants suspected of running a prostitution ring in North and South Carolina, according to court documents.

A federal detention hearing was held Tuesday for two men, The State newspaper reported.

Bail was denied for Jesus Perez-Laguna. Ciro Bustos-Rosales, 35, was being held on charges of prostitution, pimping and soliciting, according to the Richland County Detention Center's Web site.

Mr. Perez-Laguna arranged for the 14-year-old to be smuggled into the country under the guise of getting restaurant work, but she was taken to Charlotte, N.C., and several locations in South Carolina where she was forced "to perform acts of prostitution and turn over the proceeds," according to a sworn statement from Craig Hannah, a special agent with Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

Father who prompted Amber Alert arrested

GREENVILLE - A man wanted on kidnapping charges has been arrested nearly three weeks after triggering an Amber Alert.

Authorities took Anthony Robin Christen, 38, into custody at about 11 a.m. after someone reported seeing his car nearby, Greenville County Master Deputy Ashley Bethell said.

Police have been looking for Mr. Christen since issuing an Amber Alert on March 9 accusing him of kidnapping his 11-year-old son.

The boy was dropped off safely at a church in Simpsonville a few hours later.

High Court might hear of water transfer fight

COLUMBIA - Attorney General Henry McMaster outlined his legal strategy for fighting a controversial water transfer from the Catawba River.

A North Carolina agency approved a request in January by the cities of Concord and Kannapolis to permanently remove 10 million gallons of water a day from the Catawba River.

Mr. McMaster said he will file with the U.S. Supreme Court to hear the case, citing the commerce clause in the Constitution, which grants the federal government power to regulate commerce between states.

- Edited from wire reports


Search Augusta jobs