A belated show of Strength

Ronnie Strength was already a popular guy in town. But well-wishers flooded the sheriff's home and office phones this week after he filed a lawsuit against reckless, race-baiting radio talk show host "Ryan B."

Strength's lawsuit claims the talk show host, whose real name appears to be Brian L. Doyle, libeled and slandered the sheriff by calling him a murderer.

Apparently, Doyle was referring back to a 1974 case in which a man was fatally shot by a sheriff's investigator during a scuffle. Problem is, Strength says, he wasn't even on the force at the time: Strength says he was operations manager at J.B. White's department store.

Despite that somewhat relevant piece of information, Doyle allegedly broadcast that Strength was involved in "killing black folk" just like his parents and grandparents.

The thing is, that might be Doyle's view of all white people. He just happened to go after Strength.

Bad choice.

"He has caused, since being here, more friction between the black and white communities than anybody I've ever seen," Strength said Wednesday. "Black leaders around town tell me the same thing. He's doing terrible, terrible things for this community.

"I'm not going to sit back and take it."

The question is, why have so many others? Why does it take alleged libel and slander against good citizens for this community to rise up and say enough's enough? And why has purported "gospel" station WAAW in Aiken allowed such toxic material to spew from its foul smokestack over the river into Augusta? Doyle has called good people in this town every name in the book, and has done his best to pit blacks against whites and to punish black leaders who reach out to their white brethren. This is a gospel station?

Augusta has worked diligently to bring people of all races together for a unified and prosperous future - much too diligently to allow reckless racist rubbish to pollute the air. Indeed, Strength's well-wishers largely are black citizens who are fed up with Doyle's poison, the sheriff says.

Lots of folks seem delighted that Sheriff Strength is willing to go to the mat for his good reputation.

Is the rest of Augusta?

Comments (19)

JimCox
JimCox 03/29/07 - 05:52 am

Ask Charles Walker, Doyle

Ask Charles Walker, Doyle supposedly takes his marching orders daily from him, his mission is to keep the black population stirred up so that Walker can "calm things down" after he wins his appeal and triumphantly returns to Augusta.

kudzo-n-roses
kudzo-n-roses 03/29/07 - 06:31 am

Are the "black" people of

Are the "black" people of Augusta so stupid as to believe the rantings of this idiot ??As for walker ...give it up...hopefully the Black citizens of Augutsa will not fall for your scams again.

ohhsweetconcord
ohhsweetconcord 03/29/07 - 08:35 am

Strength made a MAJOR mistake

Strength made a MAJOR mistake in issuing a lawsuit against this crazy DJ. Doyle wants this kind of stuff, as it gives him more fodder to speak negatively about Augusta and its sheriff. It also makes it seem as if Strength is on the DJ's level. I would compare a similar situation to how the US handles Chavez. During Bush's recent tour of Latin America, the president hardly paid attention to Chavez's counter-tour. This intelligent move made Chavez look like a childish whiner trailing on the coat-tails of Bush. Strength should learn from the president's example.

mgroothand
mgroothand 03/29/07 - 08:55 am

When it comes to the

When it comes to the broadcast media (radio and TV) there is a powerful ally for the people in Washington named the FCC. This government agency issues licenses giving permission for them to operate under certain conditions. When these conditions are blatantly and/or repeatedly violated, the FCC can yank or not renew that license. All stations must keep a public file, a file that is accessible to anyone during business hours. If, as has been alleged, Ryan B has used foul language or in general the station has not operated in the public's best interest then a complaint should be lodged with the FCC. That can also be done in a class action complaint. The public file holds a lot of information including ownership names and addresses, photocopies are available for a nominal sum.

intheknow
intheknow 03/29/07 - 10:11 am

why in the hell do some of

why in the hell do some of you think that because this man is ", blacks", that all ' blacks' agree with him. hollygolightly do all " whites" believe everything david duke says?

_kpc_
_kpc_ 03/29/07 - 10:16 am

hollygolightly never said all

hollygolightly never said all blacks believe this man.....She was expressing hope that they don't.

intheknow
intheknow 03/29/07 - 11:14 am

just like i said i hope all

just like i said i hope all whites do not believe austin and david duke.

intheknow
intheknow 03/29/07 - 11:15 am

by the way she said i hope

by the way she said i hope blacks not some.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 03/29/07 - 11:30 am

For starters, I know of at

For starters, I know of at least one white person that doesn't believe everything they say. And I see your point about what she said. I will clarify it by saying I hope the majority of the people don't fall for Walker's scams anymore. Or anyone who trys to bilk the people out of their money....black or white.....green....yellow....etc.

jack
jack 03/29/07 - 12:35 pm

Intheknow, you need to live

Intheknow, you need to live up to your name or change it.

intheknow
intheknow 03/29/07 - 02:35 pm

i do not believe that the

i do not believe that the chronicle would allow obvious racist remarks but removed my comment which was not obscene but I guess they did not like the comment. But to JACKREARENDOFADONKEY. I guess it is okay for hollygolightly to make her comments about blacks. But then again I am not suprised that you agree with her. Like MINDS.....

rt1523c
rt1523c 03/29/07 - 03:41 pm

intheknow is in the

intheknow is in the hater-aid. Try saying something that doesn't make your race hate so obvious and maybe you wouldn't be deleted...

gagirl40
gagirl40 03/29/07 - 04:12 pm

You know, Austin Rhodes gets

You know, Austin Rhodes gets on my nerves and says things sometimes I find offensive...you know what I do? I turn him off and never listen to him again. However, I think it is the right thing for Ronnie Strength to sue this man for libel and slander if he has claimed Sheriff Strength is a murderer on the air. As for the rest of the people not liking what he says, do as I do...just turn him off. Or you could also let the advertisers, who do business with this radio station during his show, know you will not do business with their company if they continue to support him. Trust me, if the money dries up for his show, he won't be on the air very long. But aside from that, free speech is free speech.

intheknow
intheknow 03/29/07 - 04:56 pm

rt1523c i guess 15 is you

rt1523c i guess 15 is you I.Q. and 23 is either your age. Tell me what did I say was racist? I guess if I bow down to you or those lik you then thats okay. But if a " White person" says that all blacks are lazy, uneducated or whatever they are expressing an opinion. Good thing 123456 or whatever that user names is, that I could care less what you think. Stay on line and do not post and run.

intheknow
intheknow 03/29/07 - 04:59 pm

By the way@12345rtc I guess

By the way@12345rtc I guess your comments like this looking like "North Mexico" would make you an expert on race hating.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 03/29/07 - 06:24 pm

I'm still not sure what

I'm still not sure what hollygolightly said that was so offensive. She asked the question"Are the "black" people of Augusta so stupid as to believe the rantings of this idiot ??" That is a question. I assume the answer is no. Then she expressed hope that the black citizens don't fall for Walker's scams again. Electing him shows that at least the majority of the electorate fell for his scam, most of that majority was black.

intheknow
intheknow 03/29/07 - 06:38 pm

amazing. people do not

amazing. people do not understand why the statement
' I hope that black people are not stupid enough to believe te ranting of this idiot." Now even if the majority of whites votes for a less say Foley, never once have I heard the statement, I hope white peole do not believe the words of this pervert. Now do you understand the point could have been made without the word black in it.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 03/29/07 - 06:41 pm

No I don't understand the

No I don't understand the point. Ryan B's target audience is black. It would make no sense to say "I hope that the people that don't listen to him, don't believe him."

intheknow
intheknow 03/29/07 - 07:53 pm

i thought you had some sense

i thought you had some sense of civility but if you do not understand that all that was needed to be said was i hope his auddience does not believe his ranting, would have been just as good. You just said the majority if not all are black then explain the need to say black.

Pedestrian killed on Mike Padgett Highway

A pedestrian was struck and killed Thursday night on Mike Padgett Highway. The victim is the fifth pedestrian to be hit - and third to die - on Richmond County roads since April 10.