Fallen deputy remembered

Columbia County sheriff's deputies remove their hats before entering Warren Baptist Church for a funeral for Richmond County sheriff's Deputy Eric Sikes, who died last Wednesday after being injured in a wreck in his patrol car.  Rainier Ehrhardt/Staff
Rainier Ehrhardt/Staff
jack
jack 03/28/07 - 05:37 am
God rest his soul.

God rest his soul.

EventWatcher
EventWatcher 03/28/07 - 07:14 am
i went to school with mark

i went to school with mark and jessica my thoughts and prayers goes out to marks family, wife, and daughter.

what
what 03/28/07 - 07:18 am
May God bless the Sikes

May God bless the Sikes family and welcome Deputy Sikes into His loving arms. We will miss him!

yeahright
yeahright 03/28/07 - 09:22 am
Love you Mark! We will miss

Love you Mark! We will miss you!

BakersfieldCityLimits
BakersfieldCityLimits 03/28/07 - 11:42 am
A most disgusting display by

A most disgusting display by the elected members of the Richmond County Commsion, as not a one could be bothered to attend the funeral.

I'm sure that this will not stop a one of them from calling the Sheriff's Office in their time of need to request a group of deputies to attend a funeral that matters to them.

YOUR LACK OF CONCERN FOR YOUR EMPLOYEES IS PALPABLE.

SELF CENTERED PROFITEERS, THY NAME IS " COMMISIONER "

BakersfieldCityLimits
BakersfieldCityLimits 03/28/07 - 11:49 am
Preach it my brother, I

Preach it my brother, I called " Augusta Cares " yesterday to ask the very same question and Frau Goebbles at the Ministry of Propaganda and when questioned her response was to put me on hold for 19 minutes, she never came back.

I guess if your a convicted felon singer you get the attendence of the elected. Oh and by the way, did the county spend 70,000 on the deputies funeral? Nope, what they did do was rule that the deputy was not entitled to line of duty death benifits. Pump that free gas into you car Marion. Talk on that free cell phone Andy. Look out for yourself, not the unwshed masses.

Waymore
Waymore 03/28/07 - 12:11 pm
And you expected any less

And you expected any less C68? Marion has already shown his disdain for law enforcement. Do you really think that he would have shown his mug at the funeral? I'm sure Andy was too busy conducting county business to show up. "Augusta Cares" more about abandoned vehicles than their employess.

AugustaVoter
AugustaVoter 03/28/07 - 01:33 pm
Thank you C68. Your thoughts

Thank you C68. Your thoughts are accurate. I attended and the only politicians I saw were the last 2 sheriffs here and even Mike Hunt from Aiken Co!!! Now that is sad when a sheriff from another state attended but not ANY elected officials here. And where was our Mayor! The one who is trying to "reach out" to the community. If he can attend church at churches in the worst parts of the county why didn't he show face?? Pretty sad. And I guess the next time a deputy comes upon an accident on his way to work, he will just have to drive right by, because according to the sheriff and the commission, he is not on duty yet!!!!

lazeeday
lazeeday 03/28/07 - 02:16 pm
When the elected officials of

When the elected officials of this county can not respect a deceased officer and his family and represent our city,we all need to vote these people out.These officers put their life on the line daily for us and our elected officals City officials___.Get your behinds out of the air conditioned rooms and cars and represent out community!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lazeeday
lazeeday 03/28/07 - 02:18 pm
mayor

mayor copenhaver...........where were you??????????????shame on your office for representing us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

intheknow
intheknow 03/28/07 - 02:51 pm
Why in the hell did anyone

Why in the hell did anyone have to bring James Brown into this matter. Did any of you get off your lazy [filtered word] and attend? You all act as if you had respect for Deputy Sikes or law enforcement yet you dishonor him with your petty remarks. This service was for Deputy Sikes' family and friends to honor a good man but no bigots and naysayers had to comment.

neva mind who i am
neva mind who i am 03/28/07 - 03:21 pm
everyone is asking the

everyone is asking the question where were the elected officials of augusta.. well we know where they were. they we running around like chickens with their heads cut off trying to make augusta look good for next week.. trying to dress us the mess up here for the golf players... which is a shame and some

jamesj
jamesj 03/28/07 - 06:19 pm
James Brown was an "ICON";

James Brown was an "ICON"; His funeral was a National event and people all over the world new him. No matter how eccentric (rich people word for crazy) He was or anyone thought he was, they had to get their face there for the personal exposure. Unfortunately Deputy Sikes was a local thing and the exposure would not advance their personal agenda. It is a shame but it happens everywhere.

NoRestForMe
NoRestForMe 03/28/07 - 06:38 pm
Although this is a fourm for

Although this is a fourm for individuals to make comments. As a Law Enforcement Officer I would respectfully ask that you refrain from any comment that would bring disrespect to the occassion. A funeral is not a fourm or politics or negative comments. Allow Deputy Sikes' family to mourn and if a comment it to be made, let it be one of respect to his family and to his service.

BakersfieldCityLimits
BakersfieldCityLimits 03/28/07 - 09:43 pm
I apologize if I offended you

I apologize if I offended you or any of your co-workers MeekailUSAF.

poorichmondcounty
poorichmondcounty 03/28/07 - 10:11 pm
I used to be a deputy in

I used to be a deputy in richmond county for almost 10 years. I was made to go to Lee Beards funeral by my supervisors. I remember at least 10 of us having to go to this funeral, of which none of us wanted, or cared to go. Now, when one of the deputies passes away, you would think that at least Betty Beard would repay the favor and show her ugly mug at the funeral, even if she didnt want to be there. As the mayor pro tem, couldnt she have made 10 of the commissioners attend this funeral, just like we were made to attend her dead husbands funeral? Betty, you are a freakn joke, and an embarrassment to the community.

intheknow
intheknow 03/29/07 - 08:38 am
POORICHMONDCOUNTY I

POORICHMONDCOUNTY I understand why you used to be a deputy. You are sick. As for being forced that is a lie. If you meant required that is a different story. In my 29 years of Law Enforcement I have never been forced to do anything.

intheknow
intheknow 03/29/07 - 08:39 am
I hope you get therapy for

I hope you get therapy for your problem but I feel it may be too late.

poorichmondcounty
poorichmondcounty 03/30/07 - 02:10 am
In the know, you are an

In the know, you are an idiot. What you are telling me is if your superior officer tells you to do something that you dont want to do, or isnt required of you, but they just feel its the right thing to do, you would tell him no. Youre stupid. You are probably a jailer or intake officer, and not certified, and have probably never been to the academy to train for anything, and have never worked the streets. Yeah, of course, any one can say no to anyone, but you will be saying to someone in the unemployment line. Attending funerals on your day off just to show support from the sheriffs office to someone i dont even know is being made to do so. Especially when you ask if you have to do it and you are told yes. What a moron old man you must be. And probably black too.

City inspectors look to demolish Goodale House

Rob Sherman, director of Augusta's License and Inspection Department, said his staff plans to ask a State Court judge in early 2015 to order the endangered property, which was built in 1799 and is ...