Newspaper must apologize to family

I am appalled. I am disturbed. I am disgusted that you would print a picture of Eli Ford in his most vulnerable moment, the very moment that all parents are terrified of: learning of the death of their child. Have you no humanity? Have you no compassion? What if it were your child?

It is impossible for me to imagine that, first, your photographer even took this picture - and second, that it had to go through the scrutiny of the editors, yet still ended up being approved for print. A professional and humane photographer would have taken this opportunity to shield this broken father from the public eye, and allow him privacy in his grief. How can you justify your indifference to this father's despondence?

Has the newspaper offered public sympathy to this family? Or is unrestricted publication of personal torment its only means of profit?

Please offer a personal apology to this family, for you were wrong to subject them to public scrutiny in their anguish.

Susie Tompkins, Glennville

GACopperhead
GACopperhead 03/28/07 - 04:41 am
I am appalled and disturbed

I am appalled and disturbed that there are so many small minded people in Augusta! There is absolutely nothing wrong with the photo that was printed, nor was there anything wrong with printing it. It was a moving, heartbreaking tribute to a man's grief. I've seen no outrage of pictures of grieving parents of war dead, of grieving friends after school massacres, but Oh! That was here in Augusta. It's ok to be voyeuristic of people as long as it's not too close? Hypocrites one and all. You folks disgust me!

farmer
farmer 03/28/07 - 11:39 am
I fully agree with

I fully agree with GACopperhead.

Drama Mamma
Drama Mamma 03/28/07 - 03:28 pm
Well I think that he should

Well I think that he should have been ask if it was ok to put it in the paper. I hope they just didnt print it .I mean thats a moment of crises for him I wouldnt want the world to see and I dont see how thats a tibute there are some things in this world that should be kept private..

susietja
susietja 03/28/07 - 06:48 pm
Dear Mr. Copperhead- You

Dear Mr. Copperhead-

You stated that "...there are so many small minded people in Augusta." If you were referring to me, Sir, please note that I live nowhere near Augusta, as is indicated in my letter to the Editor. If you were referring to yourself, or others, then I apologize.

I certainly respect that your opinion differs from mine. Let's all thank God that we live in the greatest country in the world, where we are free to share our personal opinions, agreeable or not. I must take exception, however, at you resorting to 'name-calling' in your response. Hypocrites? One and all? I hardly think so. You refer to that picture as a 'tribute'. Do you think Mr. Ford is going to frame that picture and post it on a wall in his home, as a 'tribute' to his grief? I think not. The tribute to his grief will be the simple fact that he will never be the same person as he was before his child died. That he will forever carry the memories in his heart and soul. He does not need a graphic reminder of the moment he learned that tragic news. I'm sure he will remember it all too well on his own.

bone
bone 03/28/07 - 08:33 pm
I didn't see the picture

I didn't see the picture until today, so I waited to weigh in with any opinion. I found the picture profoundly moving and absolutely essential to the story: if even one parent or driver looks at this grieving father and attempts to empathize with the pain he is experiencing maybe there has been some good to come from publishing this photo. I do not believe in any way that the bus driver was at fault; the mother is not at fault for negligence, either. This is just an unbelievably tragic event for everyone involved. Please pray for the children who witnessed the ordeal, too - no telling how much they will be affected.

GACopperhead
GACopperhead 03/28/07 - 09:02 pm
I perfectly realized that Ms.

I perfectly realized that Ms. Tompkins did not reside in Augusta. I can also note that I haven't heard her outcries against the pictures of grieving Iraqis, or American parents or lost soldiers. Oh, those are patriotic....it is hypocritical to express outrage at one and not the other. The Augusta Chronicle posted a moving picture to allow others to see and empathize with Mr. Ford. The Chronicle has no reason to apoplogise to anyone....similar photos have won global awards, and my cudos to the photographer.

susietja
susietja 06/18/07 - 12:55 am
I feel sincere pity for Mr

I feel sincere pity for Mr Copperhead, for his display name does, indeed, reference his state of mind. Simply because HE has never 'heard' my outcries against other similar incidents has no bearing on my 'outcry' against this one. He 'ASSUMES' my feelings and opinions, yet he has no idea who I am or what I stand for. Just because that picture will allow others to empathize with Mr. Ford, in no way justifies it's existence. Hopefully more life experience will enable Mr Copperhead to empathize with the rest of us. Godspeed to you, Mr Copperhead.