2 charged in robbery of Zaxby's

VIDEO: Watch surveillance footage of the robbery [31 sec.]

Two teenagers accused of firing shots inside a customer-filled fast-food restaurant Tuesday afternoon were captured shortly after robbing the business, police said.

Tyvyn Brown and Aboubakar Camara, both 15, were arrested and charged with armed robbery at Zaxby's, 4001 Harper-Franklin Ave., according to Richmond County sheriff's Sgt. Richard Roundtree.

The juveniles were charged as adults under Georgia's Seven Deadly Sins statute, he said.

The armed robbery occurred just after 3 p.m., when the masked teens entered the business and demanded money, Sgt. Calvin Chew said. A surveillance videotape of the incident confirms that Mr. Camara fired three shots into the restaurant's ceiling.

Both teens ran toward the counter and demanded money from a clerk, Sgt. Chew said. After taking the cash, the two ran from the restaurant and crossed the four-lane Dyess Parkway toward an open field which adjoins the Belair Estates subdivision near the Columbia County line.

Mr. Camara was captured in Belair Estates after a brief chase with deputies, Sgt. Roundtree said. Mr. Brown was later arrested at his residence on Leadville Court in the Breckenridge subdivision behind the restaurant. Mr. Camara lives in the same neighborhood.

The Zaxby's franchise is located about a half-mile from Fort Gordon's Gate 1 and opened for business less than a year ago.

Sgt. Chew said about 20 customers and employees were inside the business during the shooting.

"Total disregard for public safety," he said.

No one was robbed or injured, he said.

Investigators canvassed Belair Estates searching for the weapon. A Georgia State Patrol helicopter helped in the search.

Employee Sean Stanton, 21, said he was standing near a counter when he heard what sounded like a cooking pan striking the floor.

"A manager said, 'He's got a gun.' That's when me and another guy ran out the back door," he said.

Mr. Stanton said employees saw the suspects sitting on a curb outside the restaurant minutes before the robbery and they might have recently completed employment applications to work at the restaurant.

Reach Timothy Cox at (706) 823-3217 or tim.cox@augustachronicle.com.

adults
adults 03/22/07 - 03:22 am
My brothers address is

My brothers address is Westover Memorial Cemetery...

Wade H. Pender III

adults
adults 03/22/07 - 03:44 am
Anytime you would like to go

Anytime you would like to go public with this, I'm ready any time. I still have all my, RCSD, GBI Transcrips.....I don't have alot of money, just facts..... I guess it's who you know... should be proud. (Fresh vestables, from south augusta,special favors, ??????? I know same people also)..

adults
adults 03/22/07 - 04:04 am
3,655 days ago, just like it

3,655 days ago, just like it was yesterday.....how can you keep a straight face, Let me know, I need to try.......

adults
adults 03/22/07 - 05:19 am
Danny Craig, welcome a

Danny Craig, welcome a conference in front of Augusta Hearld, anytime..lets facts fall where they may....I'm not hard to find.. over $10,000 in moneys we have spent, just got stonewalled, wouldn't even meet with our attorneys in Augusta... Ain't it about time you do the job you were hired to do,,,i"M JUST A SMALL PART OF OF THE POPULATION IN AUGUSTA, BUT SHOULD HAVE EQUAL RIGHTS JUST LIKE ANYONE ELSE... Not the buddy system.... like I said, Brothers address is, Westover Memorial Cemetery....come visit sometime... Wade H. Pender III

adults
adults 03/22/07 - 05:29 am
Review your records, and

Review your records, and email me, anytime.....Pender3@comcast.net, Public conference is welcomed..........Oh yes, hurts everyday...just the know the truth, and nothing is done....

Reality
Reality 03/22/07 - 05:46 am
The smartest one I see in the

The smartest one I see in the surveillance footage is the one climbing out of the drive-thru window. Some of the posts on here act as if it were a harmless practical joke, armed robbery is no joke.

adults
adults 03/22/07 - 05:51 am
I agree 100%, Hope the Mr.

I agree 100%, Hope the Mr. Craigs, office feel's the same..........

adults
adults 03/22/07 - 05:53 am
I'hope they don't have pull

I'hope they don't have pull in high places.............

adults
adults 03/22/07 - 06:01 am
Just how does it feel to have

Just how does it feel to have a gun pointed at you,and you don't live to tell what happen, ask Danny Craig...........welcome his views.....in front of RCSD, and GBI reports........ Welcome anytime........................maybe the citizens of Richmond County need to know also.............Like I said just one man against the system..... comments welcome anytime.........Wade H. Pender III

naenae23
naenae23 03/22/07 - 08:26 am
Everybody is entitled to

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion.Most of you don't even know them or their backgroud.I feel as though we as ones that know him have to judge him. Yea ,they have been in trouble. Just another life lesson learned. I promise you if they were to get out they would never want to hurt even a fly.They're only fifthteen.People change all the time. I see so many people saying they should dget the maximum ssentence. What if it was your child? What if it was you?There wouldn't be anything you could do. Imagine knowing your child is away from home because of a crime.People think before you judge.Parents look at you kids.They all do "idiotic" things.It happens.You try to protect your kids.ITS NOT ENOUGH.They chooose,Not you.Come on now.Your kids are in danger everyday.Think about the peer pressure us teenagers are dealing with.Things are not how they used to be.And please don't blame the parents.They are wonderful parents.I really wish you would.If you do,god have mercy on your soul.Everything could be gone in a blink of an eye.You don't just learn from your mistakes but from also watching others make them.You live,love and learn.

cutiepie_7750
cutiepie_7750 03/22/07 - 08:26 am
Listen to what all you people

Listen to what all you people are saying about this kids. And you all call your selfs grown!!! Everyone knows that no one is perfect! We all make mistakes but we learn from them. I know at least some of you people wish that you would have done something different in your past. They are young they are under pressure at school and out of school. I know both of the boys and they are not bad people at all. they may have mad bad choices. but people in the bible have made choices but God for gave them for their sins. we would not be alive if he didnt for give us. so for give them. and stop talking bad about them and just help them!!!!!

kb45
kb45 03/22/07 - 08:31 am
I have just read all these

I have just read all these comments and most of them made me sick. I am a parent and I was there at 1:00 for lunch. It is the way parents raise their kids. You should start teaching them from the time they are 5 to adults, what is right and wrong. About drugs, crimes, peer pressure, etc. Around here the way kids even dress has made me sick. The parents see this and let their kids dress this way, act this way, roam the roads, get caught in parents autos with drugs, etc. Parents do not teach their kids right from wrong and they do not restrict or discipline their kids when they do bad things or get in trouble. My kid is older but she always knew that if she ever did anything wrong or got into trouble I would not take up for her. Some of these kids need to know what a parents hand or paddle is used for. These boys should get the max. The old saying "do the crime serve the time." Anyone out there thinks that they will change is a joke. I have seen around here that alot of parents do not keep up with their kids. My step kid goes to EHS and I have seen some of her old friends and it is a disgrace. So, yes parents are half responsible for the way their kids act, dress, etc.

WW1949
WW1949 03/22/07 - 09:15 am
Cutipie, From what I read,

Cutipie, From what I read, they were always in trouble. Being young does not excuse them from robbery with a gun. Get them off the streets with as much jail time as the law says. I'm not a parent but how could my parents be responsible for my actions when I left home. If I commit a crime then it is my decision and not my parents. Also, I graduated from Richmond Academy in 1965 and we didn't have students like that back then, black or white. The mentality of some students has changed because they think they have to be the tough guy. Big deal if you're tough. It gets you nowhere. Intheknow, I'm glad you're back safely and can continue with your tough posts.

Reality
Reality 03/22/07 - 11:11 am
Making a mistake is getting

Making a mistake is getting caught smoking a cigarette or staying out past your curfew one night, not armed robbery.

xxlilmemphisxx
xxlilmemphisxx 03/22/07 - 12:00 pm
The man that almost

The man that almost got sot is my brother I am his lil sis and i am 11 and i say blame the 15teen year olds and lock them up for 10 years.Cuz they sould be held responsible .

thereishope
thereishope 03/22/07 - 12:13 pm
several kids claiming they

several kids claiming they going to Richmond, why are you posting comments at 10:00 and 11:00 am, WHY ARE YOU NOT IN SCHOOL. Specially because this week is Georgia High School graduation testing!!!!

BallHustler16
BallHustler16 03/22/07 - 12:24 pm
I use to play basketball with

I use to play basketball with Ty in Breckenridge. He been on probation. His parents were strict about him going anywhere and he he really could not go anywhere. Its an unfortunate situation, but now he faces a good amount of jail time.

havemercy
havemercy 03/22/07 - 12:48 pm
OK....... I understand that

OK....... I understand that these CHILDREN have committed a crime..........where is the mercy that we are suppose to have for our children.........it takes a village to raise a child............MERCY is what we should have for each other, especially our children... I am not saying that they should not receive anything for what they have done...but no sin is greater than the ones that everyone commits daily...........If you wrote a comment and all you can say is what should be done to them....then you should think, what have I done for them....if you have no solution, then please don't be part of the problem..... "he who is without sin, cast the first stone.......put your stones down..........

ArmySarge
ArmySarge 03/22/07 - 01:02 pm
I hope these punks go away

I hope these punks go away for a long time. I'm sure these kids do their families proud. Maybe if these kids would have had some midnight basketball or had some liberal teacher tell them how wonderful they are this wouldn't have happened. It's a good thing the robbery was captured on video/audio, because everyone knows that in some communities you don't "snitch" on each other to the cops, or else. Gotta protect each other from the "man", even if it means putting up burglar bars in your neighborhood.

JMMGA
JMMGA 03/22/07 - 01:06 pm
Ok, why is no one feed up

Ok, why is no one feed up with this same old scenario. I am so tired of watching the news and seeing another black male in trouble with the law. We, as a people, need to get off our behinds and start helping each other. Stop spreading ignorance and start teaching our boys how to be men. Women, mothers of young black boys, especially, we have to stop crippling them and making excuses for them. We know our kids and our communities. We know where positive role models exist and where they don't. We need to get together as a community and take back our dignity and respect. We, as a people, weren't always like this. Study our history and you will know that we are of and from a great people. Can you imagine how we will be in the future if we don't take us, and I do mean us, back as a people. We got to instill pride and stop looking at everything else as the reason for our failures. Our prisons and jails are already full of our beautiful black men. We gotta stop the madness people and take us back. That's all I can say, we gotta be strong and just say, enough is enough. Mentor, tutor and assist. I tell everyone I can, you are someone and you will improve our community.

angelndisguise
angelndisguise 03/22/07 - 02:05 pm
Alot of people on here are

Alot of people on here are saying put them away...i dont understand they didnt hurt anyone. Yes they made a bad choice but how many of you made a bad choice when u were kids. This is a cry for help these kids apparently need some attention from their parents. So lets stop bashing them and say help them. Only God has the right to judge them Do any of you love Jesus and realize hwta he really did for us all so we can be saved? God bless all of you b/c these boys will be taken care of wether it be with the law or Jesus.

annon
annon 03/22/07 - 02:49 pm
No one was hurt, that is

No one was hurt, that is true, but these YOUNG MEN committed armed robbery. They are not little children, they are old enough to know right from wrong, and they chose wrong. How would you feel if you were the young lady who had the gun pointed at her, or how would you feel if this was your daughter/grandaughter/niece or just a good friend? We can not be judge and jury, but as I understand, both of these young men have been in and out of trouble, and maybe this is their wake up call.

labonn72
labonn72 03/22/07 - 03:31 pm
These boys need to be held

These boys need to be held responsible for their actions. Someone said in a previous comment that these boys would come in the restaurant everyday. On the day the robbery took place, the boys came in prior to the robbery and filled out some applications as if they really were seeking employment. To me, the boys weren't doing nothing but casing the establishment. Seeing what was routine so they could know what moves to make. That tells me that these boys were both in their right minds. Their plan was thought and carried out and well, now, they just need to suffer the consequences. Someone said that one of the boys was already on probation; what will it take for these boys to see the error of their ways. Prison time? Who knows. Someone said to have mercy on them because they are just children. Those children weren't thinking about the possiblity of children being in that restaurant while they were in there doing their dirt. I think they should serve every bit of the time thats given to them because, as a parent of a teenage boy, I know its hard and when you know you're doing all there is, what else is there?

ahdjr1971
ahdjr1971 03/22/07 - 03:45 pm
This is sad, however we have

This is sad, however we have only ourselves to blame! The American public stood idly by when the war protester's from the Vietnam era spit on soldiers and cursed and called them vile names. This is happening again, and the attacks are from the left leaning liberal camps! If God fearing Christians don't stand up against this garbage and DEMAND that religious teachings be revisited in the schools and respect for the Adults that work there, well We really only "need to look in the mirror"! It is ridiculous for us to feel that children can "police" themselves. They need guidance and discipline in order to become productive adults. This is what the pseudo-fascists liberals and the ACLU are violently against. There is a lot to consider but one cannot blame the parents that are working two or three jobs just to support these children. The education system is pathetic at best, and that is due once more to the leftist ACLU. When a parent knows that he/she can be in trouble with "john law", by publicly correcting their own children, who is to blame? Please think about this!!

vxstarkerjxv
vxstarkerjxv 03/22/07 - 06:14 pm
yeah i agree with everyone

yeah i agree with everyone 1000%

co208
co208 03/22/07 - 06:17 pm
i went to elementary school

i went to elementary school with one of these guys and have a brother that goes to school with them now and i would never have expected him to do something like this. its such a disappointment.

xxlilmemphisxx
xxlilmemphisxx 03/22/07 - 09:26 pm
You know...I sit here

You know...I sit here watching this video daily and it still freaks me out..hearing my daugther crying in the background because some little punks decided to steal what like 40 bucks or so?? STUPID. They put our lives in danger.. and I agree with people saying it's their fault and stop blaming their parents. They are grown boys/big boys. They want to act like ADULTS/BIG BOYS then they for sure BETTER serve time...A LOT OF TIME in JAIL..they don't deserve no JUVIE crap. They need to face real JAIL TIME and know what its like to be a "Big Bad Adult". These two boys must have done it for attention. Regardless the fact one of you said "They wouldnt hurt a fly". Who's to say that? You can never tell...what if they were having one of those "I HATE THE WORLD" kind of days? and we were their target?? You see on the news everywhere kids shooting kids and all their neighbors/family always say "He/She was such a nice young kid..I would never have thought this would happen"... So I kind of wish people would stop sticking up for them. Good "KIDS" or not.. They wanted to be BAD ADULTS that day so they better do time thats all I can say.

celiz
celiz 03/22/07 - 10:58 pm
xxlilmemphisxx - You've

xxlilmemphisxx - You've covered every angle, and quite poignantly. Big Bad "Gangster' Crime, Big Bad "Gangster" time. The comments that bother me the most are the, "you were young once, didn't you make mistakes?". These comments blow my mind. Yes, I (obviously) was young once - but I did things like skip school (once, I got busted) and not hand in homework on time, and say I was with so-and-so, when I really was somewhere else... things that were dumb moves, but didn't put innocent people, and children(!for christ's sake!) in jeopardy. Maybe they really would never INTEND on hurting someone, but what if the gun went off?? What then??? What about the girl that had the gun pointed in her face! Would she have had another chance?
And to the people that say, "put yourself in their shoes...put yourself in their parent's shoes"... yeah, and? You people are so far from reality, that it's frightening. Why don't YOU put yourselves in the shoes of the people, the familes that just wanted to grab a bite to eat, or the cooks, cashiers and managers that just wanted to make some HONEST money that thtey could, in turn, take home to their families...which, I may add, is not too much..

celiz
celiz 03/22/07 - 11:00 pm
more than minimum wage.

more than minimum wage.

Space Prophet
Space Prophet 03/22/07 - 11:02 pm
hahaha, did anybody notice

hahaha, did anybody notice the drive-through person jump out the window? ahah