2 charged in robbery of Zaxby's

VIDEO: Watch surveillance footage of the robbery [31 sec.]

Two teenagers accused of firing shots inside a customer-filled fast-food restaurant Tuesday afternoon were captured shortly after robbing the business, police said.

Tyvyn Brown and Aboubakar Camara, both 15, were arrested and charged with armed robbery at Zaxby's, 4001 Harper-Franklin Ave., according to Richmond County sheriff's Sgt. Richard Roundtree.

The juveniles were charged as adults under Georgia's Seven Deadly Sins statute, he said.

The armed robbery occurred just after 3 p.m., when the masked teens entered the business and demanded money, Sgt. Calvin Chew said. A surveillance videotape of the incident confirms that Mr. Camara fired three shots into the restaurant's ceiling.

Both teens ran toward the counter and demanded money from a clerk, Sgt. Chew said. After taking the cash, the two ran from the restaurant and crossed the four-lane Dyess Parkway toward an open field which adjoins the Belair Estates subdivision near the Columbia County line.

Mr. Camara was captured in Belair Estates after a brief chase with deputies, Sgt. Roundtree said. Mr. Brown was later arrested at his residence on Leadville Court in the Breckenridge subdivision behind the restaurant. Mr. Camara lives in the same neighborhood.

The Zaxby's franchise is located about a half-mile from Fort Gordon's Gate 1 and opened for business less than a year ago.

Sgt. Chew said about 20 customers and employees were inside the business during the shooting.

"Total disregard for public safety," he said.

No one was robbed or injured, he said.

Investigators canvassed Belair Estates searching for the weapon. A Georgia State Patrol helicopter helped in the search.

Employee Sean Stanton, 21, said he was standing near a counter when he heard what sounded like a cooking pan striking the floor.

"A manager said, 'He's got a gun.' That's when me and another guy ran out the back door," he said.

Mr. Stanton said employees saw the suspects sitting on a curb outside the restaurant minutes before the robbery and they might have recently completed employment applications to work at the restaurant.

Reach Timothy Cox at (706) 823-3217 or tim.cox@augustachronicle.com.

xxlilmemphisxx
xxlilmemphisxx 03/21/07 - 03:55 pm
I hope they get the worse

I hope they get the worse sentence now..due to the fact that they put my daugthers life in danger..and if anybody like those two idiots wanna try to put my daugthers life in danger..then they better believe they deserve to get the worst sentence. I wish I could be on the Jury for this case. I'd for sure say GUILTY! and offer that they serve the longest sentence I could provide. Stupid Kids.

bigred14
bigred14 03/21/07 - 04:14 pm
i juss wanna say dat i kno

i juss wanna say dat i kno them and they juss r goin through bad things...they wouldnt shot u at all...so i really hope they get out of juvey cause dem my home bois and dey cant hurt a fly

r.i.p cyan

bigred14
bigred14 03/21/07 - 04:19 pm
i cant beleive my boy ty did

i cant beleive my boy ty did this....and there not idiots

feedup
feedup 03/21/07 - 04:37 pm
This goes to show how much

This goes to show how much are children are having to deal with. The videos popluarize this kind of violence. Then when our children does it they are deem stupid. We as a nation need to look at what is driving our children. In CC a student was caught with drugs on him. You see it's not just Richmond County it's everywhere. Let's stop blaming and start doing something about it. I thank God know one was injured. Our children balck/white, ect. are going to Hell in a hand basket if we on't do something about it.

intheknow
intheknow 03/21/07 - 04:55 pm
BIGRED14. What the hotel are

BIGRED14. What the hotel are you talking about> By the way, I am back and turned down anger management classes. SORRY. :)

nisey09
nisey09 03/21/07 - 05:01 pm
n/a

celiz
celiz 03/21/07 - 05:03 pm
oh, don't you worry big red,

oh, don't you worry big red, they won't go to "juvey", they're going someplace else.
And by the way, in response to "dey jus r goin through bad things" (how in the world do you type like that) we ALL go through bad things in our lives, that my friend, is life. That does not give anyone the right to do what they did. Oh, I could go on and on...

georgiasouthern
georgiasouthern 03/21/07 - 05:12 pm
This is why in restaurants

This is why in restaurants and gas stations, a member of management should have a concealed pistol so when this happens they will be in for a rude awakening and people will think twice about robbing places.

asmithgs
asmithgs 03/21/07 - 05:14 pm
I have not had the pleasure

I have not had the pleasure of meeting either of the young men and I can only imagine what their parents are going through at a time like this. I know if it were I, I would hope that people would not judge me as being a bad parent but show me some love and help me to get through this ordeal. Things happen for a reason and we don't know what trials and tribulations are in store for us. It could be any of you with children. Never say never! My husband and I try to raise our son to the best of our ability. We also instill honest and promote trust. If he decides to go out and do something like this, yes I would be greatly disappointed but I would not hang my head low because I know what my husband and I are doing to try and prevent this. Peer pressure is reckoning havoc on our teens. They just have to know when to say no and do the right thing. My son does not roam the streets, mall, movies, etc. A few of my neighbors (I have been in the neighborhood 2 years) did not even know of my son until I took him to a Neighborhood Watch Meeting. We do let him out but you can best believe we are somewhere in the vicinity.

bekkuhhh
bekkuhhh 03/21/07 - 05:20 pm
The Camara Kid went to school

The Camara Kid went to school with me. We had lit class together and classes in earlier years. I saw it on the news and herd his name and was shocked. I NEVER expected this. Thank god every one was safe.

get it right
get it right 03/21/07 - 05:39 pm
I see so many kids (most are

I see so many kids (most are probably teenagers) on this website who write in slang. You all spend too much time in front of the television watching MTV, BET, and gangstar movies. You need to get educated about the real world. In the real world, these two kids are going to get some serious time. That was ARMED robbery, not just robbery. There is a difference. Because one of the individuals fired and pointed the gun at someone, that could be classified as STRONG ARMED robbery and it carries a longer sentence. I hope you all realize that just because you're teenagers, you are not exempt from your actions, and just because you are going through something or your girlfried broke up with you, or etc., etc., you are NOT exempt from your actions. Bottom line, someone could have gotten seriously hurt, and in the end it really doesn't matter if you meant to do it or not when someone's dead. Death is for real and there's no taking it back. So the next time one of you thinks it's cool to rob a store or participate in some stupid act, just remember that you will have to pay for it and it will be some adult like me judging if your're guilty or not. Do yourselves a favor and do the right thing.

Pacman1991
Pacman1991 03/21/07 - 06:23 pm
do this for me? A kid asked

do this for me? A kid asked Jesus... how much do u love me? Jesus replied," I love you this much." and he stretched his arms to the cross and died for us. If you believe in God, you will send this to everyone on your list. If you delete this, you will have a cold heart in 2007-08. I treat you as a true friend. But if I don't get this back, I get the hint. Send this to all people in your list within 30min after u read this and something good will happen to you NOW. This is not a fake...apparently...copy and paste this to 15 people in the next 10mins and you WILL have the best day of your life tomorrow ( Sorry but everyone on this little chat were getting way to in to this discussion, I like how I see half of ARC standing up for us and taking a firm root in to daily and modern events. Also I would like to give a shout out to Denise I see you up there in the comments) P.S. Good come backs on grammer correction but make sure you actually know how to spell first.

SFC
SFC 03/21/07 - 06:52 pm
I live in Breckenridge and

I live in Breckenridge and was shocked to hear the news. It is so easy to immediately point the finger and blame the parents. These young men are not small children. I know for certain at least one of the individuals has WORKING parents so of course they would not be at home at 3:00 pm. These families are devastated and it is an injustice to the parents to immediately assume they do not know or do not care what is going on with their child or children. My daughter is an 18 year old freshman in college and I know it is by GOD's grace and mercy that my child is doing well. It was my responsibility to teach my daughter right from wrong. It was my responsibility to raise her to be a productive member of society. IT WAS HER RESPONSIBILITY TO LISTEN AND APPLY WHAT I TAUGHT HER. IT CONTINUES TO BE HER RESPONSIBILITY TO DO WHAT SHE KNOWS TO BE RIGHT LEGALLY AND MORALLY. My point is, we can talk to them, we can try to teach them by example but in the end, our children must take responsibility for their actions.

Benny264
Benny264 03/21/07 - 07:40 pm
I think riasing a child

I think riasing a child come's from home not from school it is not the the school fault if they 15 years of age it their fault.

123456 03/21/07 - 07:54 pm
I was in a class with Mr.

I was in a class with Mr. Brown. The reason why he wasnt in school was because he was suspended for a fight on Thursday at school I believe. I was shocked with I heard of this and extremely disturbed that I talk with this young-man daily. It just shows you the people that walk in our hallways at school makeup our community that includes: killers, rapist, doctors, teachers, drug dealers... thats what disturbs me the most.

helpaugusta
helpaugusta 03/21/07 - 07:56 pm
SURPRISE,SURPRISE! 2 young

SURPRISE,SURPRISE! 2 young black males committing a crime. They need to be listening to Billy Graham instead of Fifty cent

intheknow
intheknow 03/21/07 - 08:39 pm
helpaugusta go help yourself

helpaugusta go help yourself to a cliff and jump off. YOU ARE THE ONLY IDIOT TO CITE RACE.

paedra
paedra 03/21/07 - 09:08 pm
I think that this is so

I think that this is so sad.All I can think of as a young black female myself is, more young black MALE lives wasted. It seems that we are always in the news or the talk of the town about senseless, avoidable, crimes. My younger sister attends school and shares most of her classes with Ty. They actually went to middle school together also. I feel bad for her knowing a close friend of hers is involved in such a mess!! Especially facing the time he could get. SO I AM ONE OF THE MANY WHO SYMPATHIZE WITH TY AND HIS FAMILY. IM NOT JUST GOING TO SAY "HE'S BAD, LOCK HIM UP" CUZ IF IT WAS YOUR CHILD OR FRIEND, YOUR GUT WOULD BE TWISTED WITH HURT RIGHT NOW TOO!!

huli
huli 03/21/07 - 09:23 pm
Good surveillance footage.

Good surveillance footage. Let's see the defense lawyers weasel the two idiots out of this one. I don't care how young they are look what they put the customers and employees through. Get these jerks off the street before they hurt someone.

helpaugusta
helpaugusta 03/21/07 - 09:43 pm
intheknow im the only idiot

intheknow im the only idiot with facts. Watch the news idiot do the research, black males commit the majority of violent crime in america look for yourself. It must suck to know your wrong. HA

Lynn
Lynn 03/21/07 - 09:44 pm
Hold your judgement. Put the

Hold your judgement. Put the shoe on the other foot. What if your son or dtr had committed this crime? You wouldn't be fast to judge now would you? Yes, they committed a terrible crime and the law won't have much sympathy for them. Perhaps this is a case of watching too much TV, however, the likes of fifty cent didn't spark this problem..there was "Scarface" and many other Jessie James' bangers long before Rap. Music doesn't committ crimes although I am a believer that it can contribute to it because a young impressive mind can be deterred towards much. It's so sad to see these young men who one day, if not today, will suffer greatly because of this error. Who, I ask, who wants to visit a child in Prison for the next 15 yrs? None of us. That is a mother's worse pain and only the death of a child can create as much pain and sadness. Do they deserve a slap on the wrist? No. These boys, as well as others, need to be rehabilated and educated..that's the only thing that will change their future outlook on life. I'm glad none of the customers were injured. I feel the parent's pain. To them it's probably a nightmare..the hurt, the absence, the money, the lost..God,what is wrong?

sassytree
sassytree 03/21/07 - 10:05 pm
The news reported that Ty was

The news reported that Ty was currently suspended and the other young man just got out of YDC. Fine, upstanding citizens, eh? Mr Ty Brown has continuously been in trouble...ask any teacher and this goes way back. He doesn't deserve a break. He's already had way too many.

rayamanelly
rayamanelly 03/21/07 - 10:23 pm
I am black male, and from

I am black male, and from what I see here, this is not a result of poverty or even social class but a culture of youths influneced by Hip Hop... Ever wonder why All Hip Hop artrist frown on the cover of their albums? It's because the a perpetuating a belief that masculinity means being emotionally ruthless and "Hard." I graduated from ARC and lived in a decent community however, my black school mates living in the same neighborhood would get on the school bus in the Afternoon Chanting, " StoneGate Baby!"(Projects off Wrightsboro Rd) Trust me these idots dont know what hard life is yet they proclaim thug life. I have lived in Miami and have seen what people do when the cost of living is 10 times the national average yet wages dont reflect it. rayamanelly@hotmail.com

CS
CS 03/22/07 - 12:00 am
Usually violent crimes like

Usually violent crimes like this, they don't offer first offender status. And Armed Robbery is a mandatory 10yr sentence no matter if you're juvenile or adult.

adults
adults 03/22/07 - 01:22 am
Ok, Richmond county, 25

Ok, Richmond county, 25 years, no parole min...........They could have killed many customers,...will be watching this case closely..............................

adults
adults 03/22/07 - 01:28 am
too bad manager wasn't armed,

too bad manager wasn't armed, and could shoot, then case over with.. justice served........

adults
adults 03/22/07 - 01:40 am
Just clear the air, Black

Just clear the air, Black males, White males in this armed robbery doesnt matter...Wished manager had of been armed, and could have taken all doubt out,before the court system is involved....justice served........

adults
adults 03/22/07 - 01:56 am
Enough said, Danny Craig now

Enough said, Danny Craig now is the time to do your job...No politic's as before...just do you're job........I remember saint patrick's day many years ago...........

datboy102
datboy102 03/22/07 - 02:00 am
I do agree that the actions

I do agree that the actions these young men committed were terrible acts and need to be dealt with accordingly. I also feel sadden.......in the sense that they chose a shorter road in life in which they felt it will help gain them immediate satisfation to overcome the minor bumps in the road that they may have been experiencing. I not able to comment on whether their lifestyle or living conditions were potential motivates to drive them to committ such a horrible act..........b/c I don't no either one of these young men background, but I can say that although television and music are very influential mediums used to get messages out to people. I'm still a firm belivever in the forces of "Nature & Nurture" which helps mode us into who we are and who we will become. Not to mention........our own ability to decide on what is right and what is wrong. I just want to send out my prayers to the people who had to witness this, the family of the two teen-agers, and the "TWO TEEN-AGERS" as well b/c with this one bad choice made, there now is a harder road you must travel in life compared to the one you were already on.

adults
adults 03/22/07 - 02:09 am
Mr. Craig, Pender, Conyers

Mr. Craig, Pender, Conyers Georgia, should ring a bell....
I haven't forgot, neither should your office.....................

Mayor's race historic, controversial

Hardie Davis is still waiting to take office after winning a mayoral race that featured no white candidates and saw one of his opponents drop out the day before the election.