2 charged in robbery of Zaxby's

VIDEO: Watch surveillance footage of the robbery [31 sec.]

Two teenagers accused of firing shots inside a customer-filled fast-food restaurant Tuesday afternoon were captured shortly after robbing the business, police said.

Tyvyn Brown and Aboubakar Camara, both 15, were arrested and charged with armed robbery at Zaxby's, 4001 Harper-Franklin Ave., according to Richmond County sheriff's Sgt. Richard Roundtree.

The juveniles were charged as adults under Georgia's Seven Deadly Sins statute, he said.

The armed robbery occurred just after 3 p.m., when the masked teens entered the business and demanded money, Sgt. Calvin Chew said. A surveillance videotape of the incident confirms that Mr. Camara fired three shots into the restaurant's ceiling.

Both teens ran toward the counter and demanded money from a clerk, Sgt. Chew said. After taking the cash, the two ran from the restaurant and crossed the four-lane Dyess Parkway toward an open field which adjoins the Belair Estates subdivision near the Columbia County line.

Mr. Camara was captured in Belair Estates after a brief chase with deputies, Sgt. Roundtree said. Mr. Brown was later arrested at his residence on Leadville Court in the Breckenridge subdivision behind the restaurant. Mr. Camara lives in the same neighborhood.

The Zaxby's franchise is located about a half-mile from Fort Gordon's Gate 1 and opened for business less than a year ago.

Sgt. Chew said about 20 customers and employees were inside the business during the shooting.

"Total disregard for public safety," he said.

No one was robbed or injured, he said.

Investigators canvassed Belair Estates searching for the weapon. A Georgia State Patrol helicopter helped in the search.

Employee Sean Stanton, 21, said he was standing near a counter when he heard what sounded like a cooking pan striking the floor.

"A manager said, 'He's got a gun.' That's when me and another guy ran out the back door," he said.

Mr. Stanton said employees saw the suspects sitting on a curb outside the restaurant minutes before the robbery and they might have recently completed employment applications to work at the restaurant.

Reach Timothy Cox at (706) 823-3217 or tim.cox@augustachronicle.com.

celiz
celiz 03/21/07 - 10:24 am
The kids are 15, therefore

The kids are 15, therefore the parents, AS WELL AS the wanna-be thugs should be held accountable. And by the way, the amazing display of grammar I see here today scares the living daylights out of me. I would honestly like to know what exactly these kids are getting taught in school. darr350 has an excellent point. Instead of getting defensive, take a long hard look. They're both symtoms of the same problem. These kids are raising themselves. They are held accountable to no one. It's really quite sad. And did someone sasy they deserve another chance????? Are you serious? You don't get another chance when you decide to load a weapon, discharge it in public and steal money! You go to jail.

tam75
tam75 03/21/07 - 10:38 am
Celiz, give me one good

Celiz, give me one good reason why parents should be blamed. did they give the gun? Did they push them into that business? As i said earlier are we supposed to follow them around all the time, never give them a chance to make their own choices whether they are good or bad? Do you have kids? do you walk out the door right behind them everytime they leave your house? If you are, give me your answer to this question. If you are not a parent don't blame one for something you know nothing about. One more question, did your parents follow you when you were 15 and went out with your friends?

MyOpinion2
MyOpinion2 03/21/07 - 10:38 am
They should have filled out

They should have filled out the job application, and left it at that.

tyrone jenkins
tyrone jenkins 03/21/07 - 10:41 am
idiots. enough said.

idiots. enough said.

42291 03/21/07 - 11:10 am
First of all,for everybody

First of all,for everybody that is talking bad about richmond,the kids thats go there,and grammer. All kids that go to richmond are not bad, and just because they are not using correct grammer on here doesnt mean that we do not know how to use it. Yes I go to richmond, and yes I do use correct grammer when I do so. And another thing, you can not blame these boys parents for anything because it is not their fault. If it was two 18 year olds would you blame their parens? No, you wouldnt. Anybody could have done this but it was two 15 year old boys and yes they were wrong for it and yes they are going to pay for it. But like I said before you can not think that all teenagers or people that go to richmond because of what they did. Everybody makes their own decisions and everybody has their own mind.

tearyma
tearyma 03/21/07 - 11:11 am
My mother and brother were on

My mother and brother were on their way up to Zaxby's to pick up my brother's last check at 3:00, thankfully they didn't make it up there until 4. It was a blessing that my brother quit his job three days before this incident. I too live in Breckenridge, and two days ago, my brother and I were on our way home and we saw those guys standing on our street, and my brother told me that they came in Zaxby's everyday...Seems like they plotted it out huh? Yea, they knew exactly who would be there in the front...I say they need to get atleast a minimum of ten years...Just for being ignorant enough to run up the most open parkway ever...Jimmy Dyess! Now my comment to Fort GordanGA...You made an dense statement 'We should hold the parents liable for their childrens actions'...Why? It's the parents responsiblity to raise their child, instill wisdom into their childs mind. Once the child's out of the house, it's up to them to make the right decision based on what they learned. That's just like saying blame the teacher for your child making bad grades, after she gave them study material...darr350...Would it be fair to say all the comments are stupid because of yours? Be fair, Be Blessed!

jack
jack 03/21/07 - 11:21 am
Ft GordonGA, until you can

Ft GordonGA, until you can write correct english and spell correctly, please change your screen name as you embarrass the folks at Ft Gordon.

jack
jack 03/21/07 - 11:25 am
Darr350, were I you, I

KingJames
KingJames 03/21/07 - 11:26 am
gapch, I heard about the lost

gapch, I heard about the lost boy scout this morning on the Today Show. They didn't say that he had ADHD, but if that was the case, then I agree that his parents should have been on that trip. The robbers in this case, however, are at an age where their parents trusted them to do right, and they didn't. Even if the parents had been home (and I don't know that they weren't at home), when the boys wanted to hang out together, I'm sure the parents would not want to follow them everywhere they went. That's an impossible task for any parent, and would make the children miserable. It's sad, but the boys should be held accountable for their own actions. People always ask, "where were the parents?" when things like this happen. They don't take into consideration that by the time a kid is 15, the kid is capable of making decisions and having to deal with the consequences of those decisions. Even the best parents have to deal with their children's mistakes. Look at how the President and First Lady had to deal with the Bush twins' behavior and drinking when they were teenagers. It all comes down to teaching kids to do right, and praying that they will we aren't around.

aangel414
aangel414 03/21/07 - 11:42 am
If you ask me, These 2 boys

If you ask me, These 2 boys need a good swift kick in the you know what!!! I mean really! It sickens me that children act like this and no one does anything to really punish them..... I hope the County gives them the proper punishment they deserve. I'm quite sure their parents are proud....that is if they even care!!!

Reality
Reality 03/21/07 - 11:46 am
To the people that say just

To the people that say just give them 5 years in prison because they are only 15, wake up. They deserve the maxium at 15 years old you know the consequences of your actions...

Band_AId
Band_AId 03/21/07 - 12:12 pm
That is the problem today.

That is the problem today. Kids are committing tougher crimes at younger ages and therefor should be doing tougher time at the younger ages as well. Hold them accountable for their actions and some of this blatant disreguard for rules. Most times at young ages they get first offender status and serve their probation and then nothing ever shows up on their record when they are old enough by law to take credit for their actions.

justcommenting
justcommenting 03/21/07 - 12:18 pm
I am reading the comments

I am reading the comments listed here and I must say that it bothers me what I see. We are blaming schools, parents, making negative comments about a certain area, as well as putting down students. This is a NATIONAL PROBLEM! We as a NATION must come together and try to find away to resolve this. Yes, it does start at home with proper upbringing. However; not all children live in environments and/or homes that place the value responsibility and the beauty of life in them. IT’s JUST A FACT! Yes you can say “well stop having children, etc.” But, let’s be real. We as a NATION have become so SELFISH (if it doesn’t affect me then I won’t be bother with it). We also have become so MONEY HUNGRY that we allow the negative music, movies and videos, guns and drugs into our society with no regard to the affect it is having and will have on our children (which are the future); just as long as the big companies are getting PAID!. YES!!!! All are to blame from the Rich, Politicians to the Poor. Stop pointing fingers (because when you point one at someone else, there are more pointing back at you.) So what have you done, or what are you going to do to help us as a NATION?

Mcbride17
Mcbride17 03/21/07 - 12:27 pm
well i go to richmond and we

well i go to richmond and we get out of school at 2:30p.m. and they do look like they go here.

tearyma
tearyma 03/21/07 - 12:34 pm
Excuse

Excuse me...PeoplePlease....What are you talking about? I'm all for not blaming anyone but the youth, but what else are you talking about. You're just going on and on about what? I'm sorry if it seems as if I'm coming off a little harsh, but honestly people lets make some sense about THIS situation...and truthfully the nation has nothing to do with these juvies...

YellowHammer
YellowHammer 03/21/07 - 01:04 pm
They're very lucky that they

They're very lucky that they get to live and experience their prison time. Had I been in the restaurant at that time, I would certainly have shot and killed the one with the weapon.

Dblocs
Dblocs 03/21/07 - 01:12 pm
Give them a break? They are

Give them a break? They are just kids? Should they have killed someone for us to see that unless the system changes all this violence will only increase. Try them as adults and give them the maximum sentence, now! Don't let these thugs back out on the street. They should have known right from wrong, what did they think the outcome to this would be? Let's stop blaming the parents, I'm sure that most would agree that if we could watch our kids 24/7 we would. But some of us have to make a living, pay the bills, put food on the table etc.....

Fort GordonGA
Fort GordonGA 03/21/07 - 01:28 pm
Jack writes: "Darr350, were I

Jack writes: "Darr350, were I you, I wouldn't be telling others they should stay in school because they can't spell when you can't write correct english." *correction- "Darr350, If I were you" Now, does this sound better? Jack, You are too busy trying to correct someone's english and you are missing the point. When I wrote my comment early, I was angry at the situation. Now, reading your comment, I see why this country is out of control. This Chat is about the two gentleman who robbed Zaxby's, if you want to help in the grammar dept become a teacher and make a differents. I'm not here to correct anyone, just trying to express my feeling on the whole ordeal. Now, Mr. Jack, I have a job, so I must get back to work. Thank You!!!

konphidence
konphidence 03/21/07 - 01:29 pm
Look, once a kid gets past 12

Look, once a kid gets past 12 or 13 years old you have not much influence with them IF YOU DON'T DISCIPLINE your child in the formative years. If you want to be big "dawg" and be hard then you should be "bad " enough to be put in your "cage" and roam the " yard " like the others who thought they're the big dawg.

I agree with some of the comments. I don't want to hear " These are just kids", "first time offenders". If you are old enough to make those kind of decisions then your old enough to face the punishment.

konphidence
konphidence 03/21/07 - 01:38 pm
Dar350 I moved past your

Dar350 I moved past your posting to quickly. Reading the others I had to retract to read your posting. I must say that your spelling and sentence structure is pretty bad. I was told by my english teacher many many years ago " If you talk with broken english you will place your thoughts down on paper in broken english and that is the only perception others will have of you." As it turns out the next time you post a comment I bet you will proff read it. Opps, I mean proof read it!

Calquidra
Calquidra 03/21/07 - 01:57 pm
I think these kids need more

I think these kids need more love in there lifes than anything else.

mable8
mable8 03/21/07 - 02:02 pm
A person is responsible for

A person is responsible for his own actions; no one else. Put the responsibility where it belongs--on the two felons. There are too many who want to absolve another's wrong-doing by saying the felon isn't resposible because he was "abused," "addicted," or "had a poor life-style," ad nauseum. What this labelling does, is to to say no one is responsible for what one does--bunk. I am sure the parents of these two young men tried their best to instill good character; the young men chose not to follow that good advice. These two young men should be prosecuted as adults; if the maximum is 10 years, then that is what they should serve. Unless they are willing to ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY for their actions, they will most likely repeat their crime later.

a parent
a parent 03/21/07 - 02:23 pm
The problem is that we have

The problem is that we have so much to compete with as parents; TV, videos, drugs, gangs, peer pressure etc. We instill in our children the very values needed to be citizens of character, but society has compromised character by scaling back censorship. Everyone has the freedom to do whatever, and it is exploitation of the First Amendment. There was a time when people couldn't curse on TV, or couldn't where skin revealing clothes, but now that is the standard. We glamorize negative behavior in movies and radio to make money.As the old saying goes, "it takes a village to raise a child". As a Nation, we are that village and as a community we have failed because of the pursuit of money and popularity. So if you want to place blame, just ask yourself; "what positive impact am I having on society?" Believe me, I know these parents have done everything, but in the village, parents must be on the same page. Drugs is what caused my son's demise, drugs that are readily available in high schools as well as guns. We don't issue these things out in our homes. So before you place blame, walk a mile in the shoes of parent competing with drug addiction and the rest of the societal woes. Solution?

TommyBoy
TommyBoy 03/21/07 - 02:24 pm
Now watch the worthless

Now watch the worthless public defender's office convince these kids that they need to have a trial!!! PD's office is no good! Fullup mainly of lawyers who are so sorry that noone will pay them to represent them.

tyrone jenkins
tyrone jenkins 03/21/07 - 02:38 pm
As I stated

As I stated above......Idiots, enough said.

da_ant_09
da_ant_09 03/21/07 - 03:13 pm
i know him. ababu used to go

i know him. ababu used to go to my school at evans .... dang

mimikins
mimikins 03/21/07 - 03:26 pm
These guys are idiots! I feel

These guys are idiots! I feel really bad that they go to my school, this is just crazy!

michelle_jackson
michelle_jackson 03/21/07 - 03:57 pm
I use to work for Zaxby's

I use to work for Zaxby's about 2 years ago in Evans. Over the summer when I came back to Ft. Gordon for training I saw they were building a new one up from gate 1. I remember there use to always be robberies at the old Marinez store on Washington Rd. Not long after I left they installed cameras all around, so there is no chance of getting away with it. It seems to me now that Zaxby's for some reason is an easy target for people to rob like some broke down gas station. But good luck getting away unless you are that damn good. By the way can ya'll put a Zaxby's out here in Cali. These people don't believe in sweet tea and good food. Military loves to eat.

gailkaitschuck
gailkaitschuck 03/21/07 - 04:02 pm
Say, why don't we ask the

Say, why don't we ask the poor clerk who got the gun shoved in their face (and who appears just a few years older than these two idiots) whether THEY care what school these guys went to?

I bet they were too frightened at the thought of being shot to give a single thought to such trivial nonsense.

xxlilmemphisxx
xxlilmemphisxx 03/21/07 - 04:45 pm
The girl who was in the store

The girl who was in the store at the time with her daughter is a really good friend of mine (Im under her login b/c i dont have one)... My opinion is to put these two peices of TRASH in jail for maximum time EACH. Simply for being so stupid because they obviously don't have any brain cells... Since I dont want them being a drain on society more than they already were, i'd prefer to not have the government spend my taxes on feeding and clothing these two hoodlems. So starve them to death. Thankyou and that is all. Get these jerks off the street for good!!!