No complaints about Eisenhower

This letter is in response to comments made by Lt. Col. H.J. Hogan (retired) in a letter to the editor March 13 ("Military hospital disrespects veterans").

I am also a retired veteran of 20 years' military service. I have been to the emergency room and pharmacy at Eisenhower Army Medical Center many times during the past 23 years since I retired. I have nothing but respect for all the staff at both the emergency room and pharmacy. I have always been treated with respect, no matter what clinic within the Eisenhower Medial Center I have dealt with.

All of the staff at Eisenhower Army Medical Center should be commended for their professionalism. "Mr." Hogan needs to get a grip on himself, and face the fact he is no longer on active duty as a lieutenant colonel, and he should just appreciate that we retirees are fortunate to have a fine medical facility such as Eisenhower to support us.

"Mr." Hogan needs to take his military rank insignia off his civilian shirt and just "suck it up." Face reality, "Mr." Hogan, you are no longer on active duty - period.

L.C. Lewis, master sergeant retired, U.S. Army, North Augusta

WW1949
WW1949 03/16/07 - 10:13 am
I am thankful for Mr. Hogan's

I am thankful for Mr. Hogan's and all soldiers service no matter the rank. As Mr. Lews says it is sometimes hard for a LTC, COL> or Gen. to realize that their previous rank doesn't carry rank when they retire. In my business I have experienced that when giving estimates to retired officers. Some still address themselves as Col. ------- and still put the rank on their stationary, sign their name as Col------and put in on their checks. I don't mind this because I respect their previous rank but don't expect me to jump when they speak because they are retired and I'm not in the military now.

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 03/16/07 - 01:02 pm
Well spoken, gentlemen, and

Well spoken, gentlemen, and thank you very much for your comments! I am the widow of a member of the military. He also served proudly, for 20 years. We have been treated by various clinics at Fort Gordon for over 50 years, 2 of my children were born at Camp, and then Fort Gordon (barrack buildings) prior to DDEAMC being in existence. Never, I mean never, has there been any reason for any complaint. We are all treated equal - as it should be - except for our soldiers returning from Iraq - they should be at the FRONT of ANY line!
A sincere thank you to all that serve us - and God bless each and everyone of you!
PS: I hope the Lt. Col will manage to get the "chip" off his shoulder, he'll find out that this world (and DDEAMC) isn't such a bad place after all!

jack
jack 03/16/07 - 01:53 pm
As a retired Army officer, I

As a retired Army officer, I fully agree that former military rank has no place in a military hospital, but for those who don't know, the title of Colonel (not LTC) and Genrral are titles bestowed by federal law and kept for the rest of their lives. Most do not use it, however, except when appropriate. As for service at Eisenhower, I have had both good and bad exeriences. The worst experience was with the ER, where I and my injured son spent the night waiting for hom to be seen. This was back in the 80s.

iletuknow
iletuknow 03/16/07 - 02:41 pm
Of course you're satisfied as

Of course you're satisfied as it is involuntarily paid for by the millions of working tax payers who are unable to afford their own insurance.

valen
valen 03/16/07 - 03:39 pm
I have to agree I have

I have to agree I have received only the best of care at Ft Gordon!

WW1949
WW1949 03/16/07 - 07:31 pm
I do not mind my taxes

I do not mind my taxes helping to pay for military hospital care. That was teh agreement when they joined and should be honored. Thank goodness for them and their dedication. Anybody could have joined and could have thesame thing if they meet the qualifications.
What I do mind and resent is my taxes going to "earned income credits", food stamps for people too lazy to work and just deadbeats trying to beat the system. Young men and women sitting on front porches drinking beer waiting for the check in the mail and single women having children that they think is their right to have but our responsibility to support. My only thought is someone has to do the hard labor and their kids will most likely be the one because they sure can't get guidance and morality from home. I'm sure I am going to raise the ire of lots but I don't care.

kudzo-n-roses
kudzo-n-roses 03/17/07 - 12:38 am
well said Denali123

well said Denali123

ARC to honor 1956 championship team

Because the championship year of 1956 has never lost its glory in Richmond Academy football lore, the team will be honored Thursday at the third annual ARC Hall of Fame banquet, where 10 alumni ...