Diner owner serves jail time

Hot Foods By Calvin, a popular Southern cuisine restaurant in Augusta, has been without its namesake for the past month while he serves time in jail.

Calvin Green: The owner of Hot Foods by Calvin is jailed at the detention center on Phinizy Road, a police captain said.  Special
Special

Calvin Green, 51, the owner of the restaurant that won Augusta Magazine's Best of Augusta award last year, had several brushes with the law in February that led to his incarceration, including charges of cocaine possession and violation of a family violence order.

Mr. Green also admitted to violating his probation conditions on previous felony convictions for writing bad checks, according to Richmond County Superior Court records. He agreed to serve 30 days or pay $880 in restitutions and fines, the records show.

As of Friday, Mr. Green still was being held at the Charles B. Webster Detention Center on Phinizy Road, according to Richmond County sheriff's Capt. Chester Huffman.

Mr. Green's bond for charges against him is $11,960. There was no bond for the probation violation, according to the Richmond County jail.

An established favorite among diners, Hot Foods By Calvin opened in 1996 after Mr. Green was fired as a chef from a country club. He said the reason was "political" in a September 2001 article in The Augusta Chronicle.

A person who answered the phone at Hot Foods by Calvin and did not identify herself hung up on a reporter Friday. Subsequent messages left at the Broad Street restaurant were not immediately returned.

The restaurateur's recent legal troubles began in January, after he was accused of violating a family violence protective order. He was arrested Feb. 9 for the charge, according to court records and a Richmond County jail booking report.

Mr. Green was stopped Feb. 2 by a Richmond County sheriff's deputy for running a stop sign, according to a sheriff's report.

In the report, the deputy stated that the driver had a suspended license and that two crack cocaine rocks were found in a pack of cigarettes in the car.

Narcotics officers investigated further and arrested Mr. Green Feb. 14, Sgt. Greg Meagher said.

Staff writer Sandy Hodson contributed to this article.

Reach Justin Boron and Greg Gelpi at (706) 724-0851.

augmented910
augmented910 03/10/07 - 10:01 pm
I saw a tv show on the Calvin

I saw a tv show on the Calvin Foods restaurant chain on the local Ga cable station and also saw several billboards on the highway for Calvins Foods. I am new to the area and was going to try the food however if this is the person behind the food, I think I just had a change of heart. I would rather eat elsewhere than to support a man described in the news as a wife beater and crack user. Ya know, I'm just not that hungry. If this is politcal then it's a darn shame!
If this is political because of the man's success and skin color, then it's very tragic indeed. I will pray for Calvin however until I learn that this is fabrication, I cannot in good faith support his biz ventures no matter how tasty they are rumored to be. As for his child who posted here, I can only imagine that you are in denial, perhaps you should seek counseling. Sometimes we simply DO NOT WANT TO SEE what is happening in our families because its too painful. Maybe, the woman Calvin beat wasn't your Mom, in this day of blended families, but clearly she's someone's mother and deserves respect. If this is untrue, I hope Calvin takes his business and moves it to a peaceful place.

ListenAndLearn
ListenAndLearn 03/10/07 - 10:31 pm
tgulleyjazz....shouldn't you

tgulleyjazz....shouldn't you have said in your previous post......
all the people who responded are. Not criticizing of course....or did I miss something.

Curlie56
Curlie56 03/10/07 - 10:49 pm
Maybe the daughter,mother and

Maybe the daughter,mother and entire family should sit down and come up with a way to help him IF HE ACCEPTS IT. The mother should come straight with the children and stop hiding facts from the family. Maybe the child was to young to know what was going on. I for one am shocked at the drug allegations, as well as to see he is still beating women. I do know he has a good heart, because I would hear about homeless people saying how he would feed them, and possibly give them a little job for a few days for food.That's great! When I use to pass by there, I would be scared to go pass not knowing if a shooting will start any time in Harrisburg, because he is in the heart of it. Get your husband,daddy some help family, and stop trying to deny the obvious. Everyone knows what's up...get over that and move forward with him. Mom tell your children the truth, so they want have to hear about it like this! Let the entire family start to heal. Hearing bits and pieces about a family member is not good therapy.Get it all out in the open...heal...move on!

Yorkiemom
Yorkiemom 03/10/07 - 10:50 pm
I'm not dense by any means.

I'm not dense by any means. I've had a bad day. Maybe I didn't word everything just right. I was trying to groom dogs and keep up with all the post. Wade has many problems and I have tried to remain his friend for the past year. Today was the end of the friendship. What he did on here was so rude and sick.

I hope Calvin get's help for all the things that he needs help for, maybe someday he can get his business up and going again. I pray for him and his family,
Sincerely,
Marybeth Hawkins

jose
jose 03/11/07 - 01:09 am
Everyone is missing the big

Everyone is missing the big picture-The jail food is going to be great if they let him be a kitchen trustee at the Phinizy Road Jail!!! I was a jailer at that jail and the pay and food where crap. At least the food will be better for awhile, the pay still sucks.

ladybug74
ladybug74 03/11/07 - 01:41 am
I am really surprised to hear

I am really surprised to hear about Calvin. I met him a few times, ate at his restaurant, and he catered a company event for me. He was a very nice man and I was impressed with his professionalism. I pray that whatever is going on his life, that he can overcome it and learn from his mistakes. Good luck Calvin and God bless!

survivor
survivor 03/11/07 - 10:18 am
It's a shame that Calvin had

It's a shame that Calvin had to experience the down fall of a drug that is so damaging. I have a family member that is on crack and have witnessed first hand the way crack does people. I can only pray that Calvin is strong and determined to get his self together. Crack similiar to Meth is not a very easy drug to shake. The addict has to be willing to change before he can rehabilitate. We all should keep Calvin and his family in our prayers and hope that he can overcome this addiction. Crack can lead to behaviors as displayed by Calvin. I am sure his bahavior was a result of him fiening. Crack Addicts only care about how and when they are getting there next high. I can empathize with the situation and I pray that Calvin's crave for crack be wiped from his mouth. My prayers go out to Calvin and family.

icanusethat
icanusethat 03/11/07 - 11:55 am
I have one thing to say THE

I have one thing to say THE FOOD IS NASTY

purmkinhed
purmkinhed 03/11/07 - 02:21 pm
How old are y'all again?

How old are y'all again? Couldn't be a day over 10 I'm sure because that's how y'all are acting!

purmkinhed
purmkinhed 03/11/07 - 02:29 pm
Oh and by the way, I feel sad

Oh and by the way, I feel sad for Calvin. He truely seems to be a lost soul. I do hope he finds a way to overcome his problems and rises above all the petty comments about him, his food and his personal problems. And for the record; WE ALL HAVE PROBLEMS IN ONE WAY, SHAPE, FORM OR ANOTHER!

Rose
Rose 03/11/07 - 03:26 pm
Problems is no excuse to use

Problems is no excuse to use crack.

Rozzie2003
Rozzie2003 03/11/07 - 03:31 pm
I was very sorry to read

I was very sorry to read about Calvin's problems.I don't uphold of what he has done ,but I do pray that he get some help and be the man he was. Calvin is agreat guy who worked too much.
I tried to tell him many times to slow up and get some rest. Family violence and using cocaine are terrible and Calvin is responsible for what he has done.
God will forgive Calvin if he is strong enough to get his life back together.
I am Calvin's friend and will help him!

doggyfight3
doggyfight3 03/11/07 - 04:18 pm
To the person that said

To the person that said Calvin's food is nasty. You got issues. Obviously he has some kind of excellence and skill. Maybe you forgot to brush your tounge before you tasted his food. I personally never tasted his food. Don't kick a man when he's down. Didn't your mama tell you to treat others as you would like to be treated. Calvin is dealing with his issues, you deal with yours. This goes for all you crabs in the barrell.

streetandtrail_girl
streetandtrail_girl 03/11/07 - 06:41 pm
wow people ... this one sure

wow people ... this one sure generated a lot of comments. and how about all of those deleted comments. shame on you. if you don't have anything nice to say... oh wait. they would not be able to print the paper.

doggyfight3
doggyfight3 03/11/07 - 08:19 pm

Thank you CSRA for giving this family some support. God loves everyone even sinners. God is the only real judge and he knows our hearts. Be blessed and leave the stress to the one who knows best.

To Calvins' daughter no matter what people say hold your head up real high and pray. My mom always told me no matter what you do people gonna talk about you. Good or Bad. Also no matter what your daddy did or didn't do he's still your daddy.

To the battered or unbattered wife: I am a victim of domestic violence. On saturday morning I was a breath away from being klled. My son's father choke slammed me twice in my house on a hardwood floor. No bruises No case that's how richmond county feels. Anyway, I didn't make him leave and today he tried to fight me again. I found myself running through MY HOUSE. To make a long story short he could have killed me today. My only choice now is to go to GOD and ask him to help me. Help me to know what I have to do to keep This From happening to me over and over again. I am scared to death that he will kill me next time or the time after that. A victim of domestic violence and the abuser needs professional help to cope. If you love him help u and h

Tinna2007
Tinna2007 03/13/07 - 01:32 pm
hoppie make up your mind are

hoppie make up your mind are you 50 or 51???????????

mable8
mable8 03/13/07 - 03:31 pm
It appears, by most ot these

It appears, by most ot these posts, that the focus on the article is totally lost. So the businessman was caught with crack cocaine and now he is in jail; which is where he should be. As many of you attest, he is apparently a very good cook; one would give him credit for opening a restaurant and to make a legitimate living. However, he did possess crack; he did write bad checks; and he did violate court orders concerning domestic violence, all of which would have anyone, regardless of who they are, arrested and incarcerated. Why should this man be any different? Many of those who use crack eventually sell it--to your children. Is that what you want? The article, itself, should lead one to think carefully about one's opinions on the use of illicit drugs.

Dr. Pepper
Dr. Pepper 03/13/07 - 04:10 pm
LOL Who is this Hoppie guy,

LOL Who is this Hoppie guy, what an idiot

Augusta Mom
Augusta Mom 03/14/07 - 01:23 pm
Thanks, Mable...I agree with

Thanks, Mable...I agree with you! And using crack usually = some bad family troubles! I don't know the man personally....I've had his chicken dinners at the Saturday Market on Broad a few times. The barbeque chicken was good. There is never an "excuse" to hit a woman or to make the choice (and it IS a choice) to do drugs!! I work downtown and travel by both of his restaurants each day. I've never seen the one on lower Broad St open..is it just for lunch or something? I have noticed the one near Lake Olstead closed for several weeks when I've driven by in the afternoons. I too was a victim of domestic violence many years ago when I was 8 months pregnant. It's scarey to be away from your friends and family and have nowhere to go for help. In those days the main problem with the police was to not "disturb the neighbors" while the abuse was taking place. I asked them for help and was told they didn't run a hotel for disgruntled housewives. I think I've pretty much lost any taste for his food now. I'm sure a lot of people also feel that way. And, by the way...as a Muslim he doesn't believe in God--there's just Allah. It appears he isn't doing much for him....

Augusta Mom
Augusta Mom 03/14/07 - 02:40 pm
What makes you think Muslem

What makes you think Muslem men do not beat their wives? My nephew was in Kuwait during the first Gulf War. Those men publically beat-their -wives-to-the- ground for the slightest infraction. The women are barely more than property or slaves. They have no rights whatsoever in the Islamic countries.

Richter Bojack
Richter Bojack 03/29/07 - 06:43 pm
I was shocked when I heard

I was shocked when I heard that Calvin was arrested and doing time. I've eaten at Hot Foods by Calvin religiously for the past several years, and on nearly every occasion Calvin would come by our table, say hello, ask us how the food was, etc. Truly one of the nicest restaurant owners I'd ever seen. It's hard to believe that he's in jail for the stuff mentioned above, but I guess it just shows that you never know what's going on in somebody's personal life. I'd like to think that Calvin is a good guy who's just going through a very bad point in his life. Maybe crack addiction would explain the stupid decisions he has made. I don't know. I'd like to see the restaurant reopen, but more importantly I hope that he and his family can get their lives back together.