Diner owner serves jail time

Hot Foods By Calvin, a popular Southern cuisine restaurant in Augusta, has been without its namesake for the past month while he serves time in jail.

Calvin Green: The owner of Hot Foods by Calvin is jailed at the detention center on Phinizy Road, a police captain said.  Special
Special

Calvin Green, 51, the owner of the restaurant that won Augusta Magazine's Best of Augusta award last year, had several brushes with the law in February that led to his incarceration, including charges of cocaine possession and violation of a family violence order.

Mr. Green also admitted to violating his probation conditions on previous felony convictions for writing bad checks, according to Richmond County Superior Court records. He agreed to serve 30 days or pay $880 in restitutions and fines, the records show.

As of Friday, Mr. Green still was being held at the Charles B. Webster Detention Center on Phinizy Road, according to Richmond County sheriff's Capt. Chester Huffman.

Mr. Green's bond for charges against him is $11,960. There was no bond for the probation violation, according to the Richmond County jail.

An established favorite among diners, Hot Foods By Calvin opened in 1996 after Mr. Green was fired as a chef from a country club. He said the reason was "political" in a September 2001 article in The Augusta Chronicle.

A person who answered the phone at Hot Foods by Calvin and did not identify herself hung up on a reporter Friday. Subsequent messages left at the Broad Street restaurant were not immediately returned.

The restaurateur's recent legal troubles began in January, after he was accused of violating a family violence protective order. He was arrested Feb. 9 for the charge, according to court records and a Richmond County jail booking report.

Mr. Green was stopped Feb. 2 by a Richmond County sheriff's deputy for running a stop sign, according to a sheriff's report.

In the report, the deputy stated that the driver had a suspended license and that two crack cocaine rocks were found in a pack of cigarettes in the car.

Narcotics officers investigated further and arrested Mr. Green Feb. 14, Sgt. Greg Meagher said.

Staff writer Sandy Hodson contributed to this article.

Reach Justin Boron and Greg Gelpi at (706) 724-0851.

cmt
cmt 03/10/07 - 12:27 pm
smarter than you

smarter than you think.........wanna try me ?

cmt
cmt 03/10/07 - 12:36 pm
lilhawk1 don't bow down now,

lilhawk1 don't bow down now, you put ya 2 cents worth in, so handle the truth.......

edst4
edst4 03/10/07 - 12:48 pm
Figures Wade does not know

Figures Wade does not know the answer I asked him. Such a little child throwing a fit. He is acting worse then a child in pre-k. Ok Wade here is the answer to my question. If car series 100 is on duty the 300 series works that night. If you see the 200 series on patrol you will see the 400 series at night. Wade please go back to school maybe 1st grade and learn to spell again. I would love to see you on the show are you smarter than a 5th grader. You more than likely will not get past the 1st question. Since you claim you was in Nam what day did Saigon fall. Give me the month and year at least.

cmt
cmt 03/10/07 - 12:53 pm
like i said got all stirred

like i said got all stirred up, who's stupid......just a game to me...........still wanna play ? hope ya got all day.

edst4
edst4 03/10/07 - 12:59 pm
Yep you have all day since

Yep you have all day since you do not have a life. Poor poor soul. They have some you can pay for downtown Augusta. LOL I am out of here I have things to do and a life to live.

chopperzed
chopperzed 03/10/07 - 01:04 pm
Wow. Ha ha. And I was

Wow. Ha ha. And I was reminded how good Calvin's was, thinking about how I missed Augusta...and then I wasted five minutes of my life reading all of this. Glad to be gone.

cmt
cmt 03/10/07 - 01:06 pm
bet I've got more than

bet I've got more than you...................I make 80,000 + per year, have 3 cars, house, and no bills..............do what I want at anytime.. what do you have silly.........................

Yorkiemom
Yorkiemom 03/10/07 - 01:26 pm
I guess DSM would be real

I guess DSM would be real proud to know that you have worked for them for 30 years and you act like this. Wonder if they have ever done a drug test on you.

worriedboutdafuture
worriedboutdafuture 03/10/07 - 01:32 pm
" CRACK KILLED APPLEJACK!"

" CRACK KILLED APPLEJACK!" Anyone (Old School Remember That Tune?) At 51 this young man is going in the wrong direction! That's his fault. Apparently something went wrong. Those who had sampled his food and comment on this gentleman need to understand, "We fall down but we get up!" Hopefully through his court ordered "Time OUT". He will find his correct "MINDSET" and with guidance move on.

cmt
cmt 03/10/07 - 01:34 pm
hey, stupid, never worked for

hey, stupid, never worked for DSM..........drug test no problem..still wanna play?? all I got is time.. I worked for CNC, Arcadian, then PCS corp. now do what ya gotta do,,,No problem here..........

cmt
cmt 03/10/07 - 01:39 pm
oh, something went wrongf,

oh, something went wrongf, but don't go there..........unless you have been there.....

Yorkiemom
Yorkiemom 03/10/07 - 01:40 pm
Good, could not remember were

Good, could not remember were you worked, just took a wild guess, knew you would clear it up for me. Thanks alot.

cmt
cmt 03/10/07 - 01:49 pm
all ya hve to do is ask, as

all ya hve to do is ask, as far as drug tests, anytime, anywhere.you know that.....

Yorkiemom
Yorkiemom 03/10/07 - 01:55 pm
How about a mental illness

How about a mental illness test? Do that have one of those? Seems to run in your family.

bowler
bowler 03/10/07 - 02:00 pm
calvin's food is awful...he's

calvin's food is awful...he's probably getting fed better in jail.

Rose
Rose 03/10/07 - 02:29 pm
Is this Wade idiot kin to the

Is this Wade idiot kin to the man who drove through the mall?

Signal Always
Signal Always 03/10/07 - 02:52 pm
Hey Wade, I hear that Hooked

Hey Wade, I hear that Hooked On Phonics thing works pretty well.

Yorkiemom
Yorkiemom 03/10/07 - 03:46 pm
n/a

ex-augustan
ex-augustan 03/10/07 - 03:52 pm
I'm hesitant to comment, as

I'm hesitant to comment, as it seems this section has turned into something that has nothing to do with Calvin.... I knew Calvin many years ago when I was a chef in Augusta. I attended many meetings and functions with him through the American Culinary Federation....he was one of the hardest working people I knew...and when he left the country club and started his own business, I was very happy for him.
He has run a very successful business for years, and has been recognized by the community for it...unfortunately, it seems he is having problems now. The picture in the paper doesn't even look like the man I remember...it's obvious he is having problems...whatever they may be, but instead of hoping that he gets the help he needs, and gets back on the right path, everyone just wants to tear him down. There are not many people who live a perfect life...including myself...we should hope this talented ,young man can make things right.
Calvin I wish you the best.

Curlie56
Curlie56 03/10/07 - 04:32 pm
I lost my taste for Calvin

I lost my taste for Calvin the night few years ago, I was in MCG's emergency room when they brought his pregnant wife in terribly beaten. He was arrested also at that time. For that reason, I got a bad taste in my mouth for him and his food, so we stopped ordering our company daily lunches from him. We would do that everyday, because he delivered the food, which was more than convenient.When I looked in his wife's face laying on the stretcher, I could have done some damage to him myself. They thought she would lose the baby, but I hear she didn't. He probably would not raise his hand to a man. I thought it so strange that he had done this, because he had told me he is a Muslim! They don't do that! His food was good, but not good enough for me to turn a blind eye to this type of behavior from any man. If all the public handled him with that attitude, Calvin would have gotten straight long time ago. Since he was able to do drugs, and beat his wife and have his good business, there was no need for him to STOP! The public was HIS ENABLER.

Yorkiemom
Yorkiemom 03/10/07 - 04:36 pm
Yes, I also wish him the

Yes, I also wish him the best. When he gets better and reopens. I will go and try his food. I have never eaten his food. Sometimes life just gets a little hard to handle.

Curlie56
Curlie56 03/10/07 - 04:53 pm
Yes, we all have some type of

Yes, we all have some type of problem that overwhelms us from time to time......BUT self mental or physical mutilation to ourselves or loveones is not the answer.

shameke
shameke 03/10/07 - 05:45 pm
I pray that my father gets

I pray that my father gets the help he needs, and gets back on his feet. INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY. As for the comment about Calvin's pregnant wife in the E.R from being abused that is not true.

Jenn30907
Jenn30907 03/10/07 - 05:59 pm
Yes Mr. Green has great food

Yes Mr. Green has great food and yes he broke the law. Let's hope that his time in jail will help him see where his future is heading if he remians on this destructive path. Mr. Green: therapy, NA, and anger management classes are wonderful services that you can use to get back on your feet and keep you on the right path. Good luck and God bless!

MyOpinion2
MyOpinion2 03/10/07 - 06:59 pm
If anger management clases

If anger management clases are wonderful services, why not teach anger management in the classrooms all thru school, perhaps we could avoid some crime/heartache/pain. Just a thought.

ListenAndLearn
ListenAndLearn 03/10/07 - 07:15 pm
To Shameke: It's great your

To Shameke: It's great your Dad has you on his side and I hope things work out for him. I am happy Wade Pender is booted off here so maybe the sane people who were on here earlier can get a word in. Hopefully, his posts were gone before you got to see him in action. Good luck to you!

tgulleyjazz
tgulleyjazz 03/10/07 - 07:22 pm
lilhawk1---- when a sentence

lilhawk1----
when a sentence begins with "if I", the verb is "were" because the if makes it conditional. That places the verb in the subjunctive mode and therefore was becomes were. You might want to be correct before you correct someone. Just an observation, that's all. I must add that I believe that all of the people who responded repeatedly to Bishop is just as dense as he is.

gonefromaugusta
gonefromaugusta 03/10/07 - 08:02 pm
This is to tqulleyjazz, Since

This is to tqulleyjazz, Since you are obviously an English Major, why are you reading this trash from these "dense" people? Maybe you should do some tutoring there in Augusta. You appear to be the only "sane, sensible and educated one. Your big "tado" is obsolete. These "new young" folk are speaking a different language, or where have you been? They don't have a clue as to what you are talking about, and who cares whether it is "if I was or if I were" if you ARE a wife beater and a coke user, no matter how good your "chicken" is, you are wrong and that is the bottom line, PERIOD..no comma... no "if, ands or buts......just PERIOD !!!

gonefromaugusta
gonefromaugusta 03/10/07 - 08:19 pm
This is to Shameke, It is a

This is to Shameke, It is a shame that you have to read these things about your father, however, you probably know a whole lot more than we do, since you have to live with it. If your dear pregnant mother, came in to the ER, as the previous writer stated, terribly beaten, if your father didn't do it, then who did? Mothers nuture and do so much for their children, and to have them defend their abuser is a real slap in the face. I hope to God he is not guilty of being an abuser to his wife and certainly not his children. I met Calvin when you were quite young and admired him as a fine, progressive, ambitious and religious young man. This seems way out of character for him and I must agree with the other reader that he does not look, on the picture, as the Calvin I knew back in 2000. Well, then he is 6 years older and hard work can take its toll on some people, trying to operate (2) restaurants and both in the worst section of town. I pray God's Blessings on the entire family, and if your mother is being abused, SHE needs your support.

MyOpinion2
MyOpinion2 03/10/07 - 09:48 pm
To Wade and a few others

To Wade and a few others posting, look like ya all could be the next contenders for the Jerry Springer show.