Diner owner serves jail time

Hot Foods By Calvin, a popular Southern cuisine restaurant in Augusta, has been without its namesake for the past month while he serves time in jail.

Calvin Green: The owner of Hot Foods by Calvin is jailed at the detention center on Phinizy Road, a police captain said.  Special
Special

Calvin Green, 51, the owner of the restaurant that won Augusta Magazine's Best of Augusta award last year, had several brushes with the law in February that led to his incarceration, including charges of cocaine possession and violation of a family violence order.

Mr. Green also admitted to violating his probation conditions on previous felony convictions for writing bad checks, according to Richmond County Superior Court records. He agreed to serve 30 days or pay $880 in restitutions and fines, the records show.

As of Friday, Mr. Green still was being held at the Charles B. Webster Detention Center on Phinizy Road, according to Richmond County sheriff's Capt. Chester Huffman.

Mr. Green's bond for charges against him is $11,960. There was no bond for the probation violation, according to the Richmond County jail.

An established favorite among diners, Hot Foods By Calvin opened in 1996 after Mr. Green was fired as a chef from a country club. He said the reason was "political" in a September 2001 article in The Augusta Chronicle.

A person who answered the phone at Hot Foods by Calvin and did not identify herself hung up on a reporter Friday. Subsequent messages left at the Broad Street restaurant were not immediately returned.

The restaurateur's recent legal troubles began in January, after he was accused of violating a family violence protective order. He was arrested Feb. 9 for the charge, according to court records and a Richmond County jail booking report.

Mr. Green was stopped Feb. 2 by a Richmond County sheriff's deputy for running a stop sign, according to a sheriff's report.

In the report, the deputy stated that the driver had a suspended license and that two crack cocaine rocks were found in a pack of cigarettes in the car.

Narcotics officers investigated further and arrested Mr. Green Feb. 14, Sgt. Greg Meagher said.

Staff writer Sandy Hodson contributed to this article.

Reach Justin Boron and Greg Gelpi at (706) 724-0851.

LMS2005
LMS2005 03/10/07 - 10:23 am
wonder what Ronnie Strength

wonder what Ronnie Strength would think about this - WHP RCSD............

writerrick
writerrick 03/10/07 - 10:29 am
Hey Wade are you still up or

Hey Wade are you still up or did you finally pass out? It's 9:25am and I miss reading your idiotic comments. BTW I'm 52 and barely saw the fall of Saigon in 1975 (USAF) so just when did you eat the monkey brains? Could it have been last week out of the gutter on Broad St. in front of Hot Foods? Look buddy we have laws Calvin broke several of them and he is doing his time. End of story!

cmt 03/10/07 - 10:36 am
still here.....

still here.....

kudzo-n-roses
kudzo-n-roses 03/10/07 - 10:54 am
What an interesting way to

What an interesting way to start the day.......ya'll have been very entertaining this morning.
Sorry to hear about Calvin.but if you do the crime...well you know.

cletus45
cletus45 03/10/07 - 10:54 am
Nothing tastes better than

Nothing tastes better than some crackheads home cooking. Makes me wanna lick my lips thinking about it.

writerrick
writerrick 03/10/07 - 10:57 am
I see that Wade has changed

I see that Wade has changed hi nick and is now referring to himself in the third person. I'm still looking for the monkey brains, wait maybe SPICE69 knows.

ListenAndLearn
ListenAndLearn 03/10/07 - 11:16 am
I'm just so amused that Mr.

I'm just so amused that Mr. Tough Guy didn't have anything else to say to my responses....He's not near as clever as he thinks he is, but I think we all knew that...

cmt 03/10/07 - 11:18 am
i'm still here.

i'm still here.

cmt 03/10/07 - 11:19 am
hey kk still here..

hey kk still here..

ListenAndLearn
ListenAndLearn 03/10/07 - 11:22 am
Like I said!!!!!!!!!!

Like I said!!!!!!!!!!

WW1949
WW1949 03/10/07 - 11:30 am
I've run a business for 38

I've run a business for 38 years, never layed a hand on my 1st and only wife of 20 years, never wrote a bad check or done any drugs. Stress doesn't excuse breaking the law. Calvin does have good food. A friend and I tried to go there this week but it was closed. Now I know why. Let him serve his time like anybody else an d reopen his business. Maybe he will control his emotions after jail but I doubt it once someone starts useing crack. What a stupid way to let your life go downhill to nothing.

WW1949
WW1949 03/10/07 - 11:33 am
Wade, If you are or were and

Wade, If you are or were and I hope were a police officer you took a oath to uphold the law. Excuseing someone from breaking the law because of drug violations or family problems is not right or fair to the rest of us.

Yorkiemom
Yorkiemom 03/10/07 - 11:38 am
The correct phase is (he was

The correct phase is (he was a police officer) many years ago.
Thank God he not one now.

cmt 03/10/07 - 11:39 am
not a police

not a police officer.......was one long time ago.........,yea took an oath many years ago, everone is equal....have to know each indivual situation, not judge someone by newspapers......

cmt 03/10/07 - 11:42 am
hey, was married for 30

hey, was married for 30 years, never layed a hand on my wife, left her because of pain pill addiction, so get ya story straight.

cmt 03/10/07 - 11:46 am
doin't even go

doin't even go there...............if so come see me.. i've had same job for 30 years, and i'm 51 yoa......i hate drugs more than you could could think......

stewartist
stewartist 03/10/07 - 11:51 am
As I read all of the comments

As I read all of the comments back forth..it's as if I were listening to a bunch of 7 year olds argueing over who broke the lamp in the living room....ignorance is a cancer in our society!!....and Wade Pender...go to your dictionary and look up the word Ignorant.

APINGA
APINGA 03/10/07 - 11:52 am
When and where were you a

When and where were you a police officer Wade?

cmt 03/10/07 - 11:56 am
n/a

cmt 03/10/07 - 12:00 pm
probably before you were

probably before you were born,. 1974. as far as the lamp, you must have bought your's at walmart..........

cmt 03/10/07 - 12:04 pm
wanna play ??? I'm ready

wanna play ??? I'm ready

jdcooper
jdcooper 03/10/07 - 12:10 pm
As for "Tar-Baby"- Look up

As for "Tar-Baby"- Look up Joel Chandler Harris & His Uncle Remus stories. (Brer Rabbit & Brer Fox)

pablanco
pablanco 03/10/07 - 12:13 pm
Wade go sleep it off and

Wade go sleep it off and treat your ex with a little respect. Tolerance of idiocy is a virtue that she seems to possess.

writerrick
writerrick 03/10/07 - 12:15 pm
Hey Wade I thought you were

Hey Wade I thought you were eating monkey brains in 1974? Or was that more of the lies you seem to like to tell??

cmt 03/10/07 - 12:15 pm
i don't go there, you must

i don't go there, you must wake up to real world..

cmt 03/10/07 - 12:17 pm
money brains, try

money brains, try some..........might help you..

cmt 03/10/07 - 12:21 pm
guess i did what i set out to

guess i did what i set out to do, see how stupid people could be, by just just throwing in a few conflicts.ha,
ha, ha, ha, ok folks, have a nice day!!!!!!!!!!ya stupid.,

edst4
edst4 03/10/07 - 12:22 pm
Is Wade still here gezzz get

Is Wade still here gezzz get a life. Wish there was an ignore button for idiots like Wade I think the napalm has gotten to Wade. He is a joke and if he is a cop in his vic I am the worlds richest man. Tell me Wade what car shifts work the same days. You have certain car numbers working days then the other car number working nights. Do you know the answer Wade?

cmt 03/10/07 - 12:25 pm
yes, got your attention.

yes, got your attention. didn't i.....ha ha ha silly [filtered word]

Yorkiemom
Yorkiemom 03/10/07 - 12:25 pm
Question to anyone, Is there

Question to anyone, Is there anytway to stop the post on here, they have nothing to do with Calvin. any one we can contact?

Vogtle workers see both reactor projects

Some veterans of the nuclear industry were at the site south of Augusta to see the complex network of rebar and concrete rising out of the ground in the 1970s and ’80s. Now, they are back.