Diner owner serves jail time

Hot Foods By Calvin, a popular Southern cuisine restaurant in Augusta, has been without its namesake for the past month while he serves time in jail.

Calvin Green: The owner of Hot Foods by Calvin is jailed at the detention center on Phinizy Road, a police captain said.  Special
Special

Calvin Green, 51, the owner of the restaurant that won Augusta Magazine's Best of Augusta award last year, had several brushes with the law in February that led to his incarceration, including charges of cocaine possession and violation of a family violence order.

Mr. Green also admitted to violating his probation conditions on previous felony convictions for writing bad checks, according to Richmond County Superior Court records. He agreed to serve 30 days or pay $880 in restitutions and fines, the records show.

As of Friday, Mr. Green still was being held at the Charles B. Webster Detention Center on Phinizy Road, according to Richmond County sheriff's Capt. Chester Huffman.

Mr. Green's bond for charges against him is $11,960. There was no bond for the probation violation, according to the Richmond County jail.

An established favorite among diners, Hot Foods By Calvin opened in 1996 after Mr. Green was fired as a chef from a country club. He said the reason was "political" in a September 2001 article in The Augusta Chronicle.

A person who answered the phone at Hot Foods by Calvin and did not identify herself hung up on a reporter Friday. Subsequent messages left at the Broad Street restaurant were not immediately returned.

The restaurateur's recent legal troubles began in January, after he was accused of violating a family violence protective order. He was arrested Feb. 9 for the charge, according to court records and a Richmond County jail booking report.

Mr. Green was stopped Feb. 2 by a Richmond County sheriff's deputy for running a stop sign, according to a sheriff's report.

In the report, the deputy stated that the driver had a suspended license and that two crack cocaine rocks were found in a pack of cigarettes in the car.

Narcotics officers investigated further and arrested Mr. Green Feb. 14, Sgt. Greg Meagher said.

Staff writer Sandy Hodson contributed to this article.

Reach Justin Boron and Greg Gelpi at (706) 724-0851.

Reality
Reality 03/10/07 - 05:42 am
Wade H Pender you are an

Wade H Pender you are an idiot and every one of your posts prove it.

TAG1313
TAG1313 03/10/07 - 05:44 am
you forget to fill in the

you forget to fill in the blanks for numbers cadden rd is no address. You not far from calvin his just down the street go see your buddy he needs a friend.

TAG1313
TAG1313 03/10/07 - 05:46 am

Thank You Honest for being Honest with this loose screw

cmt 03/10/07 - 05:46 am
ok, write it down dumb [filtered word],

ok, write it down dumb [filtered word], 2204 cadden road, augusta, georgia, 30906.... need a road map ???? wwwhat is your's ???? scared ???

Reality
Reality 03/10/07 - 05:49 am
Atleast the police no where

Atleast the police no where to look when there is violence in the area.......

TAG1313
TAG1313 03/10/07 - 05:49 am
n/a

cmt 03/10/07 - 05:50 am
know my address

know my address well..................

cmt 03/10/07 - 05:52 am
that's pretty bad cutting

that's pretty bad cutting down you're own race, and neighborhood resident...... hey big boy come to the south side.......might be white but fair........

cmt 03/10/07 - 05:55 am
you just showed your true

you just showed your true colors.............go get ya food stamps, and what ever...""calvin should be proud of you.!!!!

cmt 03/10/07 - 06:03 am
waiting....... i'm home.

waiting....... i'm home.

TAG1313
TAG1313 03/10/07 - 06:14 am
I will meet you at the

I will meet you at the Racetrack on Hwy 25 at cadden rd. at 12;00 NOON. DRIVING A WHITE ENVOY

cmt 03/10/07 - 06:19 am
why not now ???????????? i'm

why not now ???????????? i'm here....now is fine by me...

ONLY THE TRUTH
ONLY THE TRUTH 03/10/07 - 07:27 am
I think there is one or two

I think there is one or two that forgot their Lithium this morn!!!

foresthills
foresthills 03/10/07 - 07:28 am
I think it's rude to hang up

I think it's rude to hang up on anyone. How about some manners?

cmt 03/10/07 - 07:42 am
not hanging up, don"t take

not hanging up, don"t take lithium., getting out of hand...nice to view different views.....

intheknow
intheknow 03/10/07 - 07:46 am
What the hell is a tar baby?

What the hell is a tar baby?

cmt 03/10/07 - 07:46 am
ain't sure...........

ain't sure...........

edst4
edst4 03/10/07 - 08:10 am
Wade H you need to grow up.

Wade H you need to grow up. Stop wasting web space on such stupid remarks. Put the bottle down go to bed and sleep it off. Gezzz who wants to read all your remarks so early. Also an FYI your last post aint is not a word? That will cost you 10 cents. LOL

cmt 03/10/07 - 08:22 am
still here, just jump in, go

still here, just jump in, go teach your're english class at elementary school, if not, come see me...

ListenAndLearn
ListenAndLearn 03/10/07 - 08:39 am
I work for a local city

I work for a local city government and we've had catering done by Hot Foods By Calvin and it was delicious...thanks Calvin, but that doesn't mean his life is perfect. MINE ISN'T EITHER and I am positive that Mr. Pender is less than perfect just by the fact he insists on bullying everyone else and making threats. I'm appalled that you are proud that someone with your attitude is a representative of the Armed Forces for the United States. As a matter of fact, I'm reasonably sure that many out there are ashamed that you would get on here and comment like this. If I were your CO you'd be gone and no pension. BTW...I'm a white female and raised two children as a single mother (not because I wasn't married to my children's father, but he chose not to be responsible) and I received about 110.00 a month in food stamps and worked 40 hours a week and more...!! Therefore, you might want to take time out from your busy life of NEGATIVE NOTHINGNESS and do a little more research on the topics you no SO LITTLE about. No, I'm not giving my name and address because I'm not Billy Bad A-- picking a fight but I bet I'm allowed to have an opinion....but not because YOU gave me that right.

Yorkiemom
Yorkiemom 03/10/07 - 08:42 am
Hamp, Go to sleep, you need

Hamp,
Go to sleep, you need to rest!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cmt 03/10/07 - 08:47 am
apparently, you haven't

apparently, you haven't realized what the world is about,... apparently ya missing part of your're life, I'm 50 yoa, and know a hell of alot more than you I'm sure. so If you were not of the all night debate. take care of you're children, and stay out of it...

Yorkiemom
Yorkiemom 03/10/07 - 08:49 am
Let me clear something up

Let me clear something up here please. Sorry about the way Wade acted here ont he computer this morning. I'm a friend of his. He has never been in the the service. so please don't worry about that. He is taking pain medicine for a back pain, and I just think it got the best of him. Please excuse him for acting so stupid. He will be mad at me for writing this, but he can get over it. My dad served in the Army for 30 years and I will not let any one pretend to be in the service. Although Wade was a police officer many years ago when he was young

ListenAndLearn
ListenAndLearn 03/10/07 - 08:54 am
I doubt very seriously if you

I doubt very seriously if you have that much more than me....and it's positive you don't know more than anyone!!! And don't you tell me to stay out of anything. My children are grown, thank you and praise God they don't have you for a father. I thought what they had was bad, but you take the cake....I won't stoop further and get even near your level. You are the epitome of crap is the only comment I need to make. That suffices!

bigdan4439
bigdan4439 03/10/07 - 09:01 am
n/a

cmt 03/10/07 - 09:02 am
lilhawk, your.re on ya own

lilhawk, your.re on ya own now......where have ya been all night.. but don't worr.......,need to know the entire debate all night.

Yorkiemom
Yorkiemom 03/10/07 - 09:07 am
Honey, I was not really

Honey, I was not really making excuses for him. What he did was wrong and sick. I just got an email telling me off. I just wanted to clear up the part about the aervice. My daddy served for 30 years in the Army. I was and still am very proud of that fact. Got to get to work now. I groom Doggies for a living, yes I own my own business in North Augusta called the The Dog House.
Have a Wonderful Day Everyone,
Marybeth Hawkins

luckie
luckie 03/10/07 - 09:12 am
wade pender I am getting

wade pender I am getting ready to call the augusta chronicle and have youkicked off. You have said enough and I do not want to read any more of your comments. Let others have a chance.

cmt 03/10/07 - 09:18 am
n/a

bigdan4439
bigdan4439 03/10/07 - 09:23 am
wade shut the he** up...we've

wade shut the he** up...we've heard enough