Rash ointment pays off for Aiken couple

AIKEN - Gary and Susan Anderson have soothed chafed bottoms for more than 20 years.

Back | Next
Aiken residents Susan and Gary Anderson hold up a tube of their product, Flanders Buttocks Ointment.  Annette M. Drowlette/Staff
Annette M. Drowlette/Staff

The business of buttocks ointment isn't the most glamorous work, but as many parents will tell you, the ability to comfort a chafed child can at times seem like a gift from above.

"I know how frustrating it can be to have a crying baby," said Mrs. Anderson, the mother of three grown daughters.

It was Mr. Anderson and his fellow pharmacy school graduate, Kevin Floyd, who stumbled upon the recipe.

The men were working in Charleston after graduating from the Medical University of South Carolina, and local physicians kept sending desperate parents their way for soothing solutions.

The soon-to-be business partners found that remedies off the shelf weren't always enough and put their apothecary skills to work. One recipe containing Peruvian balsam proved most effective.

"Parents would try a lot of different things, and that was the only difference with ours," said Mr. Anderson, who moved his family to Aiken in 1986 to be closer to family.

When the creamy, tan concoction began to catch on, Mr. Anderson and Mr. Floyd decided to capitalize on the idea and formed Flanders Buttocks Ointment, combining both of their last names.

Part of the goal, Mr. Anderson said, was to create a money-making venture that would allow their spouses to work from home and take care of their children, too.

There were some bumps in the road, including the Food and Drug Administration, which scrutinized the product to the point that it had to be manufactured in an approved facility in New York.

"We really thought we could make it up ourselves," Mrs. Anderson said. "Then you have these three big letters: FDA."

But after years of mailing samples across the country, tubes of the ointment are widely distributed in doctor's offices and pharmacies across the Southeast.

Mr. Floyd continues to distribute the cream out of Charleston, while the Andersons market the product from Aiken.

They boxed samples in their house until the project grew too large. The couple are still trying to expand the business and is getting help from the Tri-Development Center of Aiken County, an agency that assists the mentally handicapped.

Now the product is helping people before it's even used.

Participants at Tri-Development package samples for the Andersons and mail 300 to 1,000 boxes every month, said Frankie Braswell, a product supervisor at the center.

"It's just so simple, but to our people it's the greatest job in the world," Ms. Braswell said.

Reach Josh Gelinas at (803) 648-1395, ext. 110 or josh.gelinas@augustachronicle.com

GARY AND SUSAN ANDERSON

Ages: Mr. Anderson, 52; Mrs. Anderson, 51

Family: Three grown daughters; one grandson

Claim to Fame: Co-founders of Flanders Buttocks Ointment

Just me 2
Just me 2 03/05/07 - 07:15 am
The lady who just got her

The lady who just got her child back from Mexico needs some of
this!

purmkinhed
purmkinhed 03/05/07 - 08:15 am
Oh my God! I didn't know the

Oh my God! I didn't know the creaters of Flanders lived so close to me! Flanders is the BOMB!!!!! My family has been using it for about 6 years and we found it's not just for babies. I found most rashes are cleared after just 1 or 2 applications. This product is the mother of all inventions! Only 1 downfall; I could only find it in Eckerds...

ss
ss 03/05/07 - 09:45 am
I used this as well and it's

I used this as well and it's wonderful for diaper rash, I haven't tried it for anything else. I've never found it on the shelf, you have to ask the pharmacist for it.

InChristLove
InChristLove 03/05/07 - 10:49 am
I used this with both my boys

I used this with both my boys and it worked WONDERS!

Expressyourself
Expressyourself 03/05/07 - 10:55 am
This is the best stuff. I

This is the best stuff. I used it with both my girls and it made a world of difference. Never new that the creators were so close to home. I would and I do recommend it to all I know with babies.

proud parent
proud parent 03/05/07 - 12:32 pm
I have 2 girls and I used it

I have 2 girls and I used it on both of them. It worked great.

lilmace
lilmace 03/05/07 - 01:31 pm
I live in a small town in

I live in a small town in south Georgia and never seen this ointment in a pharmacy. Can it be ordered? Do the chain pharmacies carry it?

Mattie
Mattie 03/05/07 - 03:06 pm
Babies R Us used to carry

Babies R Us used to carry it--don't know if they still do. I swore by it with both of my children. It's hard to get off after a diaper change, though.

Drama Mamma
Drama Mamma 03/05/07 - 03:11 pm
I have Two boys and there 10

I have Two boys and there 10 and 14 now but I remember using this it was the BOMB thanks alot guys you got something going for years to come. GOOD JOB. I will tell my children of this one day for there own children

dalewest
dalewest 03/05/07 - 06:02 pm
Wow! I am your Number 1 fan!

Wow! I am your Number 1 fan! I give a tube with every baby gift.
But I use it on everything, blemishes, scrapes any skin problem.
My daughter who is a nurse told me about it. My grands used to laugh and say, "Dont tell Granny you have a pimple cause she will put butt cream on your face" Thanks for a product that really works!

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon 03/05/07 - 06:17 pm
A big company would have had

A big company would have had the FDA bending over backwards to help got it to market. I am going to try to find some.

JALEY06
JALEY06 03/05/07 - 08:28 pm
This is the best butt cream

This is the best butt cream ever. I used this with my son when he was an infant and now I use it with my daughter. I can't believe the inventors live so close. I use to have a had time finding it and when I did find some I would stock up on it. WEhen I had my baby shower for my daughter I asked everyone to try to find me a tube of this b/c it is the best. I have only been able to purchase it at Krogers, Kmart, and Eckerds.

jenn4chn
jenn4chn 03/05/07 - 10:59 pm
Flanders is awesome! I have

Flanders is awesome! I have my father-in-law in Missouri hooked on it, too.

purmkinhed
purmkinhed 03/06/07 - 08:12 am
To savannahriverrat, You can

To savannahriverrat, You can buy it at Eckerds. Ask for it at the pharmacy counter. It's the only place I've been able to find it but someone else wrote in and said you can find it at Kroger and K Mart as well! Awesome stuff that ole butt cream is!!!!!